DeSean Jackson (MERGED)

LAD_Brooklyn

It is interesting because if you trade for him you pick up that contract.  On waivers you work out something new with him.  I am not sure what he would get on the open market but 10 million per year seems high right now.  

It depends if you think he's better and more valuable than Decker.   If you think he's similar,  you pay him that amount.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4659/desean-jackson

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton says Carolina won't have interest in DeSean Jackson even if the Eagles release him.

The Panthers dumped the face of the franchise, Steve Smith, due to "distraction" and salary cap concerns. Jackson would bring even more of those issues to the table. GM Dave Gettleman is going to augment his pitiful receiving corps through lower profile veteran signings and the draft.

A source tells ProFootballTalk.com that the Seahawks have "no interest at all" in DeSean Jackson.
This report suggests that even if Jackson gets released, Seattle will pass. It shouldn't be a surprise given the $67 million they committed to Percy Harvin last year and the expensive negotiations looming with their core of Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas. Meanwhile, NFL Network reported Monday that the Raiders are "not inclined" to trade for Jackson because they're unwilling to part with draft picks. It's not going to be easy for the Eagles to find a team to surrender a third-round pick for the right to pay Jackson $10.7 million in 2014. Mar 24 - 7:48 AM

He's going to be a Jet.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4659/desean-jackson

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton says Carolina won't have interest in DeSean Jackson even if the Eagles release him.

The Panthers dumped the face of the franchise, Steve Smith, due to "distraction" and salary cap concerns. Jackson would bring even more of those issues to the table. GM Dave Gettleman is going to augment his pitiful receiving corps through lower profile veteran signings and the draft.

A source tells ProFootballTalk.com that the Seahawks have "no interest at all" in DeSean Jackson.
This report suggests that even if Jackson gets released, Seattle will pass. It shouldn't be a surprise given the $67 million they committed to Percy Harvin last year and the expensive negotiations looming with their core of Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas. Meanwhile, NFL Network reported Monday that the Raiders are "not inclined" to trade for Jackson because they're unwilling to part with draft picks. It's not going to be easy for the Eagles to find a team to surrender a third-round pick for the right to pay Jackson $10.7 million in 2014. Mar 24 - 7:48 AM

He's going to be a Jet.

Sweet!!!  Should have been a Jet to begin with.

Woody I guess was on TV talking about our "interest" for the "right price." Per PFT, there's the possibility of us being cited for tampering with a player currently under contract.

Discuss

I believe the exact quote was something more alone the lines of, 'we're looking at a number of players, Desean is one of them.' Just saying that they're looking at them, especially when Philly is known to be shopping him is going to be tough-sledding to knock them for tampering. 

I can't see why we are offering anything if they are going to release him, again this might be one of those cases where Woody has got involved, and the Jets are bidding against themselves because the clueless owner wants his shiny new toy now!

Other teams might be offering draft picks as well.

Owner Woody Johnson acknowledged at the league meetings in Orlando Sunday that the Jets are "looking at" DeSean Jackson.

Johnson's comments could be construed as tampering because D-Jax remains under contract with Philadelphia, but it's hard to imagine the NFL doing anything about that. "We’re looking at a number of players, including DeSean," stated Johnson, who seems to be getting anxious after his club missed the playoffs in back-to-back seasons. "I'm not going to use the word patient anymore," he added, referring to winning. "We want to do it now." Jackson and Eric Decker would give the Jets a formidable wideout duo for new quarterback Michael Vick.

Isn't Jackson being offered up to trade?   Why would looking at him be considered Tampering?

It's not. Mehta and that douchebag at PFT Mike Florio are desperate to paint the Jets in a negative light is all. 

Why would Woody say that. That has to be among the most stupid things to do in this situation.

The JETS have been patient all off season and this is when they loose it. DeSean Jackson is going to be released by the Eagles and the JETS can than pursue him for a new contract. Why waste the picks and pick up an existing contract ? 

Why would Woody say that. That has to be among the most stupid things to do in this situation.

The JETS have been patient all off season and this is when they loose it. DeSean Jackson is going to be released by the Eagles and the JETS can than pursue him for a new contract. Why waste the picks and pick up an existing contract ?

Woody's M.O. is to hide when things suck, then jump out in front whenever it appears something that the media tells him is positive is happening. He lives for headlines.

Does anyone think a 3rd round pick for Desean is worth it? I would say both yes and no, but I cannot seriously be upset if they do that.

Think that's a little bit high, but as you said I wouldn't be upset either. A fourth should be enough. Thing is if no trade is made Idzik won't get into a bidding war even with all the cap room and no way he would be coming here.

Does anyone think a 3rd round pick for Desean is worth it? I would say both yes and no, but I cannot seriously be upset if they do that. 

A 3rd is too high. His contract sucks, his attitude sucks, and he'll start campaigning for Vick the second he walks in the door. I wouldn't go higher than a 4th, and only that because we have two of them.

Our idiot owner may be talking himself into a tampering case. Way to go, Woody!

*may*

PFT reported this but it seems like total nonsense and a non-story. This seems like the thing someone reports when they have nothing to do and need a reason to stir of up controversy about the Jets. Just a week or two before PFT was publishing about how the league is lax or doesn't really enforce or have the means to enforce tampering charges.

I'm sure the Jets and Eagles have been in some contact, and if there Eagles are serious about dealing Jackson, the last thing they would want to do is alienate a potential trade partner in the Jets by pushing the league for tampering charges against Johnson. No reasonable person would even consider Woody to be actually tampering by merely saying the Jets have interest in a player the Eagles want to trade, it's a non-story.

According to ProFootballTalk, the 49ers are "very interested" in DeSean Jackson.

Predictably, GM Trent Baalke's denial on this matter carries little weight. The Niners have been aggressively trying to upgrade their receiving corps this offseason, as they reportedly pursued free agents Golden Tate, Julian Edelman and Hakeem Nicks. Jackson, a California native who played his college ball at Cal, would bring a long speed dimension to a unit that currently features possession guys in Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin. The Eagles' asking price on D-Jax is likely sinking as they've exposed their hand. No one around the league believes there's any way he's back in Philly.

A 3rd is too high. His contract sucks, his attitude sucks, and he'll start campaigning for Vick the second he walks in the door. I wouldn't go higher than a 4th, and only that because we have two of them.

So, no Vick, you'd do the 3rd but because Vick is here, it has to be a 4th?

Because if he becomes a free agent, The Frugal GM will offer him, "what we think he's worth, " and not a penny more - and someone else will pay more. If they take on his contract, they can ruin his career with bad QB play and demand he takes a paycut down the road.

Not for that contract, no way. Even the talk of Tampa's fourth and the Jets' original fifth seems high to me. Seems like every team mentioned to have interest in him (besides the Jets) has come out and publicly said they have no interest. No reason for the Jets to bid against themselves. Highest I'd go is the Jets' original fourth and sixth rounders. And only because, with the expected comp picks, that really wouldn't effect the Jets' draft at all.

Think that's a little bit high, but as you said I wouldn't be upset either. A fourth should be enough. Thing is if no trade is made Idzik won't get into a bidding war even with all the cap room and no way he would be coming here.

Apparently we offered a 4th and 5th but they only want a 3rd. I think the 4th pick of the 4th rd and a 5th rounder is almost more valuable than a mid to late 3rd. 

If he's released, I wouldn't be upset at the right price, but I'd still rather pass on him. Give me Brandin Cooks who's bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, more explosive, had better college production in the same conference, will be a tenth of the price and doesn't seem to be an asshat yet.  

If the Eagles Trade Jackson how much of his salary over the next 2 years are they responsible for ? He did get guaranteed money right ? That's usually spread over a few years

The guaranteed money is probably over & done with.  The amount that the Eagles have to absorb is the acceleration of the amortized signing bonus money - money paid to him in the past - that hadn't yet hit their cap.  I forget but I think it was something like $6M.  If they keep Jackson, that will be $2M/year this year, $2M next year, and $2M in 2016.  If they dump him now, all $6M hits this year.  If they dump him in June, it's $2M now and the rest (the other $4M) next year.

Guaranteed money is just how much the team guarantees paying the player, no matter what form that payment comes in.  Sometimes it's mostly signing bonus, and sometimes it's just guaranteeing certain years of their salary.  Pretty common now to guarantee the first 2 years, give or take a year, whatever that comes to with or without bonus.  I don't know his exact contract structure from start to finish (though I'm sure if you dig around you can find it).  

For the sake of illustration, let's pretend it's exactly 5 years, $50M, with a $10M signing bonus and $20M guaranteed.  

Say the first year's salary was $2M.  That means by the end of year 1, they've already paid him $12M of guaranteed money.  They still must pay him $8M more, which effectively means his year 2 salary was also guaranteed.  

That's all in the past now.  He has 3 years and $30M left on his 5 year deal, at around $10M per season.  Probably zero of it is guaranteed from here on out, by the Eagles or by the team that trades for him, unless his original deal called for more than $20M guaranteed.

We had that with David Harris.  It wasn't just that Tannenbaum gave him 4 years $36M.  That was bad enough for a player of his level.  It's that he guaranteed $30M of it (think it was $29.6M?), meaning he was too expensive to cut, too expensive to trade, and truthfully he was too expensive to keep.  Tannenbaum probably figured he would redo his contract by signing him to an extension so the cap wouldn't have been hit to the tune of $13M last season.  Just an awful signing if that was the money Harris was demanding.

Same thing with Holmes.  He had so much guaranteed, that he couldn't be cut after 1 year of his new deal (though the Jets clearly wanted to).  Unfortunately, keeping him for year 2 guaranteed not just year 2 but also $7M or $8M (I forget) of year 3.  That's why when Idzik redid Holmes's contract, he redid it down to $7M-ish.  Holmes was guaranteed that amount with or without the team.  Since the team was going to pay for his rehab and training and would also give him a year to showcase his healthy lisfranc for a 2014 team to be interested in him, he agreed.  But as soon as that guaranteed money was finished being paid, Idzik (appropriately) dumped him.

Because if he becomes a free agent, The Frugal GM will offer him, "what we think he's worth, " and not a penny more - and someone else will pay more. If they take on his contract, they can ruin his career with bad QB play and demand he takes a paycut down the road.

The frugal GM did sign the #1 WR in FA. The frugal tag has been one of those media invented talking points.

Also a guy who is unwilling to restructure his existing deal as has been reported will suddenly just wanna take a pay cut ?

Not for that contract, no way. Even the talk of Tampa's fourth and the Jets' original fifth seems high to me. Seems like every team mentioned to have interest in him (besides the Jets) has come out and publicly said they have no interest. No reason for the Jets to bid against themselves. Highest I'd go is the Jets' original fourth and sixth rounders. And only because, with the expected comp picks, that really wouldn't effect the Jets' draft at all.

Trading for DeSean Jackson would be a mistake when the Eagles are on the cusp of cutting him. But lets say the JETS do the not so smart thing and trade for him anything more than a fifth rounder would be a colossal mistake.

Archived