DeSean Jackson (MERGED)

LAD_Brooklyn

the one thing geno did well last year was air it out. vick has a gun also. desean would be a huge addition skillwise. from living in philly i can say he is viewed as revis-lite though. always pushing to renegotiate his deal after only a year or two. he held out of camp back in 2011 but returned the day before he would have an extra year tacked onto the contract if he didn't show--similar holdout protection as Jets worked into Revis' extension. i think he is worth the risk as long as we know what we are getting into and protect ourselves accordingly. i don't know if his current deal has holdout protection or not.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Third round pick and I will be just as happy. I mean who are you selecting n round 3 that's is good as Jackson?

The Jets traded a 5th for Holmes. Holmes was better and healthier than Jackson at that point. If it's anything above a 5th rounder, I'm not interested.

The Jets traded a 5th for Holmes. Holmes was better and healthier than Jackson at that point. If it's anything above a 5th rounder, I'm not interested.

Holmes has had 1 year with over 1000 yds receiving and another over 900.  

Jackson has had 3 seasons over 1000 yards and only 1 less than 900. 

I'm not sure if Jackson still returns punts but that's another area of need where he would excel.  Kerley is serviceable but Jackson is explosive.

Basically Jackson is better at football than Holmes ever was, or will be. 

Can't see how you could say Holmes was better than Desean. Desean has always been better than Holmes. Only thing Holmes did that wowed people was his catch in the Super Bowl against the cardinals

Holmes has had 1 year with over 1000 yds receiving and another over 900.  

Jackson has had 3 seasons over 1000 yards and only 1 less than 900. 

I'm not sure if Jackson still returns punts but that's another area of need where he would excel.  Kerley is serviceable but Jackson is explosive.

Basically Jackson is better at football than Holmes ever was, or will be. 

I'm somewhere in between. At the same given point in their careers, both are probably about in the same range, 10th-17th best WR when healthy. That said, auto equating players, even of a similar nature, although fun to do in light conversation, is mind-numbingly dumb and impractical. They're not robots. Also, I have no idea how similar their off the field or personality issues are. 

It seems like you forget that Holmes was suspended for the first 4 games and couldn't even practice withing that time period. It took holmes by week 7 since we had a 5th week bye to get into any sort of form also Holmes only had a year left on his contract. The only other offer the came up for Holmes was a 6th round pick.

I'm somewhere in between. At the same given point in their careers, both are probably about in the same range, 10th-17th best WR when healthy. That said, auto equating players, even of a similar nature, although fun to do in light conversation, is mind-numbingly dumb and impractical. They're not robots. Also, I have no idea how similar their off the field or personality issues are. 

Sure but something that sticks out to me is Jackson was a punk before he got his money

Holmes was a punk before, during, and after he got his money. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4659/desean-jackson

The Charlotte Observer reports the Eagles "informally reached out" to the Panthers about their interest in DeSean Jackson.

Previous reports indicated teams were inquiring about Jackson. This one claims the Eagles are taking the initiative. The Panthers currently have just $5 million in salary cap space, while Jackson's scheduled pay is $10.7 million in salary and bonuses. The Observer does not expect the Panthers to become serious players in the D-Jax sweepstakes. Still, this report should fuel increasing speculation that Jackson has played his final down in an Eagles uniform.

Sure but something that sticks out to me is Jackson was a punk before he got his money

Holmes was a punk before, during, and after he got his money. 

I think, although, both are considered "bad guys," it's for very different reasons. I may be wrong. But I don't think anyone could tell you unless you were in the locker room with both. Jackson's stuff seems more like immaturity, than the thug, give me money and ho's I don't give a ****, thing, a la Holmes. 

Again, i really don't know though. Just off the stuff I've read or that's been reported over the years. 

I think, although, both are considered "bad guys," it's for very different reasons. I may be wrong. But I don't think anyone could tell you unless you were in the locker room with both. Jackson's stuff seems more like immaturity, than the thug, give me money and ho's I don't give a ****, thing, a la Holmes. 

Again, i really don't know though. Just off the stuff I've read or that's been reported over the years. 

If Jackson sucked MM would tell Idzik. 

But who are we kidding...  we're not getting Jackson - although I'd love if that happened.

If Jackson sucked MM would tell Idzik. 

But who are we kidding...  we're not getting Jackson - although I'd love if that happened.

If they do, with Jackson, I'd like to think it's more of a Steve Smith, I'm psycho but I really do care, rather than a Holmes, I'm a rich baller, GFY, I don't care, thing.

lol, how was Holmes better than Jackson? He had one 1k season in his first 4 season while Jackson had 2 in first 4 years and has 3 in his 6 years. The three years he didn't reach 1k? His rookie season with 912 yards, his 4th season with 961 yards in 15 games, and 700 yards in 11 games in 2012. He's a superior talent than Holmes.

Also, Holmes was facing a 4 game ban when traded. He was that close to a 16 game ban. A 5th is not gettin u Desean Jackson. A 4th 'might' get the ball rolling, but will have to add in a 6th with that, or a straight 3rd. Still not a bad deal as long as he can keep his mouth shut. That is the only thing that is concerning and a change of scenery might help him.

lol, how was Holmes better than Jackson? He had one 1k season in his first 4 season while Jackson had 2 in first 4 years and has 3 in his 6 years. The three years he didn't reach 1k? His rookie season with 912 yards, his 4th season with 961 yards in 15 games, and 700 yards in 11 games in 2012. He's a superior talent than Holmes.

Also, Holmes was facing a 4 game ban when traded. He was that close to a 16 game ban. A 5th is not gettin u Desean Jackson. A 4th 'might' get the ball rolling, but will have to add in a 6th with that, or a straight 3rd. Still not a bad deal as long as he can keep his mouth shut. That is the only thing that is concerning and a change of scenery might help him.

Also I don't think it's a minor point that Jackson still performed - better than ever, at that - after getting paid.

What Pettigrew business?

That Detroit re-signed him. I was convinced that the organization was done with him. Between Rex coming back, Bevell staying in Seattle, and both Leinart and Limas Sweed being out of the league, I'm having a rough stretch with predictions.

That Detroit re-signed him. I was convinced that the organization was done with him. Between Rex coming back, Bevell staying in Seattle, and both Leinart and Limas Sweed being out of the league, I'm having a rough stretch with predictions.

Oh, that.  I would have forgotten if you hadn't reminded me.  Now I will remember forever.

Also I don't think it's a minor point that Jackson still performed - better than ever, at that - after getting paid.

That's true, but he certainly dogged it when he wasn't getting paid. The only thing you have to worry about is his grumblings of wanting a new contract after only completing the first year of the deal.  The guy is crazy-talented, I've been a fan of his since his Cal days w/Lynch, I'm just not sure I want to take on that headache at $10 million per.  If he's guaranteed to perform at his current contract, then it's not a terrible trade, but that's a big if.

That's true, but he certainly dogged it when he wasn't getting paid. The only thing you have to worry about is his grumblings of wanting a new contract after only completing the first year of the deal.  The guy is crazy-talented, I've been a fan of his since his Cal days w/Lynch, I'm just not sure I want to take on that headache at $10 million per.  If he's guaranteed to perform at his current contract, then it's not a terrible trade, but that's a big if.

That's fair.  But I think at the time he was still on his 2nd round rookie contract ($1M per year vs $9.5M per year).  

That's fair.  But I think at the time he was still on his 2nd round rookie contract ($1M per year vs $9.5M per year).  

Definitely true, he certainly played well this past year.  I suppose after Holmes, I'm just a bit adverse to small-stature, diva receivers.  He'd be a heck of an addition though, which actually coincides quite nicely with one of the few things Geno did quite well last year, throw the deep ball accurately.

Reminder: the Eagles, who are ready to compete for a title, are desperate to dump Desean Jackson.

Jets fans are so enamored with the Jets doing anything that they'd be happy with an old, broken down, turnover prone QB and a diminutive WR who runs better at the mouth than a route tree. It's almost laughable if it wasn't so damn sad.

The year Jackson just had is better than any year Holmes has had in his career.  These are also different situations because the Steelers were going to cut Holmes if they couldn't trade him.  The Eagles are not in the same situation.

The year Jackson just had is better than any year Holmes has had in his career. These are also different situations because the Steelers were going to cut Holmes if they couldn't trade him. The Eagles are not in the same situation.

Okay. So maybe I was wrong. Still, it makes you wonder why the Eagles are looking to get rid of him right now.

Okay. So maybe I was wrong. Still, it makes you wonder why the Eagles are looking to get rid of him right now.

They are looking to get rid of him because he is a total pain in the ass, lol.

But the Jets lost a total pain in the ass in Holmes, who didn't produce.  So they can at least consider bringing in a PIA that will produce.

It wouldn't be ideal, but if they have Morhinweg pressing for it internally (I have no idea if he is) -- but in that case it would be worth considering.  But for me it would be a 3rd round pick, nothing more.

Like I previously said, they have the highest cash spending in the NFL at $138 mil. Not sure how ok the owner feels about that but that's insanely high and most especially compare to the $83 mil the Jets have spend. They can still cut Ryan and Celek to get save $11 mil though. But if Johnson wasn't to repeat his production from last season he would most likely be force to get cut so if Philly can get good compensation from him now they'll take it.

i would agree to this pick up cause to say he sucks is ignorant. to say he's a diva is overused and overblown especially if you saw the special documentary on him. I would think he not only stretch the defense but also id like to see if we could revitalize our special teams. 

Archived