DeSean Jackson (MERGED)

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BACK TO YOUR POST, do you think the Eagles interest in dumping Jackson is purely economic? If so, letting these rumors linger about Chip Kelly wanting him gone and how they're going to cut him regardless would seem to hurt the market value for what is clearly a talented, productive player.

No one thinks that.  

Things are rarely done all due to one reason or all due to another reason despite your pretending it is so to further a point.  It is quite common for a combination of things to be weighed together.  Hence "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts," and "the straw that broke the camel's back," and other quotes or sayings.  In this case, it may just be one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I'm sure he's an enormous pain in the ass.  The details of it are largely unknown to outsiders like us.  They may be worse than we realize, and they may not be.  Maybe Kelly just thinks he can find and develop someone just as good; one who doesn't have his personal issues and isn't a $10M+/year cap hit (and who wants more than the $10M/year of new money that he has coming to him under his current deal).  Maybe he and Foles have irreparable personal issues.  I can't guess, but I'm sure things will get leaked out after he's off the team so the team can justify the move to its fans.  

Meanwhile, the Raiders once gave up Randy Moss for a 4th rounder.  Miami was only too happy to dump Welker for a draft pick.  Miami also jumped at the chance to recoup draft picks for Brandon Marshall and give him a one-way ticket out of town.

I'm not going to run through a bunch more examples, but you get the drift.  It's also yet to be seen whether dumping Jackson will be a wise decision on their part as well.  

No one thinks that.

Things are rarely done all due to one reason or all due to another reason despite your pretending it is so to further a point. It is quite common for a combination of things to be weighed together. Hence "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts," and "the straw that broke the camel's back," and other quotes or sayings. In this case, it may just be one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I'm sure he's an enormous pain in the ass. The details of it are largely unknown to outsiders like us. They may be worse than we realize, and they may not be. Maybe Kelly just thinks he can find and develop someone just as good; one who doesn't have his personal issues and isn't a $10M+/year cap hit (and who wants more than the $10M/year of new money that he has coming to him under his current deal). Maybe he and Foles have irreparable personal issues. I can't guess, but I'm sure things will get leaked out after he's off the team so the team can justify the move to its fans.

Meanwhile, the Raiders once gave up Randy Moss for a 4th rounder. Miami was only too happy to dump Welker for a draft pick. Miami also jumped at the chance to recoup draft picks for Brandon Marshall and give him a one-way ticket out of town.

I'm not going to run through a bunch more examples, but you get the drift. It's also yet to be seen whether dumping Jackson will be a wise decision on their part as well.

Bold is hurtful. The difference with Moss/Marshall/Welker is that they went to teams with coaches who didn't just spend four years getting absolutely steamrolled by Santonio Holmes. If, as it appears, Jackson is a discipline/maturity case, there is nothing in Rex's history that suggests he'd be the guy capable of getting him to toe the line.

Bold is hurtful. The difference with Moss/Marshall/Welker is that they went to teams with coaches who didn't just spend four years getting absolutely steamrolled by Santonio Holmes. If, as it appears, Jackson is a discipline/maturity case, there is nothing in Rex's history that suggests he'd be the guy capable of getting him to toe the line.

Aaaaaaaand.... Back to Rex. Lol.

Meanwhile, Parcells continues to be a god in another thread.

I do get a kick out of you.

It wasn't intended to be hurtful.  Sorry if you took it that way.  I figured you were making a tongue-in-cheek argument, and that you would know nothing is as simple as any one thing like the salary cap (unless he was due a $50M roster bonus or something).  Otherwise Philly would have already announced that:  "We're looking to trade Jackson because we're going to have trouble fitting him under the cap next year."  

No one believes that, yet you insinuated that I had no idea that Jackson had any personal baggage.  That my take on it was Jackson isn't a problem there at all and it's all about the cap. 

I'm saying he has some baggage, and when a team is on pace to have a $150M cap number next year, they have to see where they can get that number down.  IMO they made the decision that he would be the one to go before free agency even started.  First they extended Cooper so they wouldn't be left without him either, which would make trading Jackson difficult.

He's got issues.

He's due about $10M/year that the team can't afford without cutting others.

He wants MORE than that $10M/year, meaning they need to cut still more players.

By cutting/trading him the team can wipe out $18.5M between 2014-2015.  

If it's a trade, they at least hope to get a 3rd or 4th round pick in a very good draft.

It is not ALL about the salary cap and I don't believe this decision to move on with him is in any way sudden this week.  They're just releasing this plan this week because of good strategic timing. 

BACK TO YOUR POST, do you think the Eagles interest in dumping Jackson is purely economic? If so, letting these rumors linger about Chip Kelly wanting him gone and how they're going to cut him regardless would seem to hurt the market value for what is clearly a talented, productive player.

Tampa cut Revis strictly for financial reasons, and he was clearly a talented, productive player. It happens. Sometimes, regardless of the level of production, the contract isn't worth it. This, coupled with the fact that Kelly seems to prefer larger receivers and that they envision giving Maclin a big contract if he produces seems plenty enough reason to cut Jackson. 

I don't think Idzik will lowball Jackson. He didn't lowball Decker. He paid him right about what he is worth. If we sign DJax it'll probably be a 2yr/16.5M deal. The Raiders will offer more money, but I do believe DJax knows that the Raiders aren't the best option for him at this point in his career. 

It wasn't intended to be hurtful.  Sorry if you took it that way.  I figured you were making a tongue-in-cheek argument, and that you would know nothing is as simple as any one thing like the salary cap (unless he was due a $50M roster bonus or something).  Otherwise Philly would have already announced that:  "We're looking to trade Jackson because we're going to have trouble fitting him under the cap next year."  

No one believes that, yet you insinuated that I had no idea that Jackson had any personal baggage.  That my take on it was Jackson isn't a problem there at all and it's all about the cap. 

I'm saying he has some baggage, and when a team is on pace to have a $150M cap number next year, they have to see where they can get that number down.  IMO they made the decision that he would be the one to go before free agency even started.  First they extended Cooper so they wouldn't be left without him either, which would make trading Jackson difficult.

He's got issues.

If it's a trade, they at least hope to get a 3rd or 4th round pick in a very good draft.

It is not ALL about the salary cap and I don't believe this decision to move on with him is in any way sudden this week.  They're just releasing this plan this week because of good strategic timing. 

If the Eagles Trade Jackson how much of his salary over the next 2 years are they responsible for ? He did get guaranteed money right ? That's usually spread over a few years

ESPN New York reports the Jets have a "measured interest" in DeSean Jackson that will "intensify if he's released."

This is likely the case with all of the clubs interested in Jackson. Nobody wants to take on his $10.7 million for 2014. Jackson has three years and $30 million left on his current deal and is unwilling to renegotiate. With Michael Vick now in the fold and the Jets starved for playmakers, they'd make plenty of sense as a landing spot for Jackson. Gang Green also has a ton of cap room.

It wasn't intended to be hurtful. Sorry if you took it that way. I figured you were making a tongue-in-cheek argument, and that you would know nothing is as simple as any one thing like the salary cap (unless he was due a $50M roster bonus or something). Otherwise Philly would have already announced that: "We're looking to trade Jackson because we're going to have trouble fitting him under the cap next year."

No one believes that, yet you insinuated that I had no idea that Jackson had any personal baggage. That my take on it was Jackson isn't a problem there at all and it's all about the cap.

I'm saying he has some baggage, and when a team is on pace to have a $150M cap number next year, they have to see where they can get that number down. IMO they made the decision that he would be the one to go before free agency even started. First they extended Cooper so they wouldn't be left without him either, which would make trading Jackson difficult.

He's got issues.

It is not ALL about the salary cap and I don't believe this decision to move on with him is in any way sudden this week. They're just releasing this plan this week because of good strategic timing.

Thank you for explaining the cost-benefit for the Eagles of moving on from Jackson. It certainly helps to better understand the motives behind getting him off the team. I didn't mean to come off as snarky as I have here.

Why the **** does Woody Johnson interject himself into player acquisition? Stay out of the ******* kitchen, you moron.

@MMehtaNYDN: Woody Johnson talked to Roger Goodell and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie before Jets signed QB Michael Vick. #nyj

The guy is an absolute assclown. Idzik seriously needs to build a moat around his office.

Wait a damn minute everyone including me has been bashing Woody for not spending in free agency and now that he has finally seen the light and wants to acquire superstar players to win the guy sucks?

Wait a damn minute everyone including me has been bashing Woody for not spending in free agency and now that he has finally seen the light and wants to acquire superstar players to win the guy sucks?

He sucks because he's an idiot who treats the Jets like an XBox.

The guy is an absolute assclown. Idzik seriously needs to build a moat around his office.

Yeah. He clearly cares about PR, so it doesn't surprise me that he'd call the other billionaires before singing a controversial player. But absolutely nothing about what we've done in the last 14 months suggests we're trying to win now.

Yeah. He clearly cares about PR, so it doesn't surprise me that he'd call the other billionaires before singing a controversial player. But absolutely nothing about what we've done in the last 14 months suggests we're trying to win now.

He sounds like a Wilpon.

The AFC East stinks. Jackson is a really good player, we have money...if it's possible to figure out a way to get him here...it's not an awful move. Woody talking to Bart spin city Hubbuch...who cares. Nothing the Jets have done so far shows they're doing it the Tanny way

The AFC East stinks. Jackson is a really good player, we have money...if it's possible to figure out a way to get him here...it's not an awful move. Woody talking to Bart spin city Hubbuch...who cares. Nothing the Jets have done so far shows they're doing it the Tanny way

Going out and getting Jackson is fine. Going out and giving Jackson 5 years, $60 mil is dumb. Woody has to shut up and stop sounding like a carnival barker.

Doesn't he have gang ties, could be part of it.

Archived