DeSean Jackson (MERGED)

LAD_Brooklyn

Do you realize what DeSean Jackson could do for this team along with a strong draft. He's an explosive game changer that also adds to special teams as well as WR.

You should really spend more energy on concentrating on football and less time ridiculing others.

You really want your $10 million dollar per year receiver returning punts every week? Desean's returned 15 punts for 68 yards the last two years for 0 TDs, not the threat you're making him out to be.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, he was 24th in targets.

That is true, but I also don't think you want your 170 lb receiver catching 100+ balls a year. Regardless, Desean is great, I'd go so far as possibly top 10, but I'm not putting him over CJ, AJ Green, Josh Gordon, Demaryuis Thomas, Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Dez,  Vincent Jackson or a healthy Julio Jones. He could possibly pass one of them and crack 10, but nowhere near top 5, for me at least. I'm also completely leaving Fitzy off due to his QB woes recently.

More of a threat than fair catch Kerley isn't he?

Actually no. Desean hasn't been an effective PR in three years. 

Kerley the last two seasons: 32 returns for 323 yards, 1 TD and a 10.1 avg.

Desean the last three seasons: 32 returns for 182 yards, 0 TD and a 5.7 avg. 

Regardless, I don't want my star WR returning punts unless it's a playoff or extremely important game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10675583/chip-kelly-noncommittal-desean-jackson-future-philadelphia-eagles

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly acknowledged Wednesday that he spoke with wide receiver DeSean Jackson "a couple days ago" regarding swirling reports that Jackson could be traded or released, but when he was peppered by the media at the NFL owners meetings, Kelly didn't quash those reports by ensuring Jackson will be with the club in 2014.

"We've had a good conversation and we're always going to do what's best for the football team," Kelly said. "But I think he knows where we are, and I know where he is. I feel very comfortable about it. My conversations with him aren't things I think I need to have a conversation with anyone else about."

Asked if he wants Jackson on the team, Kelly said, "I like DeSean. DeSean did a really nice job for us [last season]. But we're always going to do what's best for the organization."

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Tuesday that Jackson has called some teammates and told them, following his conversation with Kelly, that he won't be traded. On Wednesday morning, Kelly wouldn't divulge details of his conversation with Jackson, saying it was a player-coach matter.

Jackson is scheduled to earn a base salary of $10.5 million in 2014, a significant total that has sparked speculation about his future with the team, even after he totaled 82 receptions for 1,332 yards last season, both career highs.

"I don't deal with numbers; that's not my job," Kelly said when asked if he felt Jackson was worth the salary, deferring to general manager Howie Roseman.

Kelly added that Jackson has not approached the team about sweetening his contract. He said he got along well with Jackson in 2013, Kelly's first season as Eagles coach, and that Jackson "did a good job" fitting into the team concept.

"He played 16 games for us, practiced every day," Kelly said. "I had no issues with him."

Kelly was asked how the Eagles' offense could possibly be better without Jackson on the team, and he said, "I don't think our offense has ever been predicated on one player. We used three quarterbacks last year. We used multiple running backs. Our tight ends are integral to what we do. I think we have an outstanding offensive line. It's never been about just one guy.

"It's why I think we have diversity" on offense, he added. "I mean, we were first in rushing and I think ninth in passing. I think there is balance in terms of how we do things. "You want great players at every position, and I think that's what we're always striving for in terms of where we can put people into position. It's never been predicated on just one guy, because if ist is, if he's out for a water break or hurt for an extended period of time, then you're going to be in trouble."

That is not the ringing endorsement that many were expecting to hear out of Kelly. I think he is still available.

Agree if Idzik offers the right deal DeSean Jackson is a Jet.

But we're always going to do what's best for the organization." said Chip Kelly

I know that we don't love him at his current salary, but in reality he would likely land a contract very similar to this if he was on the open market. This stands against Idzik's principle of not overpaying for talent, but I think that Jackson at 10.25 is worth it to the Jets, who are currently flush with cap space, even if Jackson's true value is probably closer to 8mil per year.

I know that we don't love him at his current salary, but in reality he would likely land a contract very similar to this if he was on the open market. This stands against Idzik's principle of not overpaying for talent, but I think that Jackson at 10.25 is worth it to the Jets, who are currently flush with cap space, even if Jackson's true value is probably closer to 8mil per year.

I slightly disagree as his contract was design in giving him a bloated yearly salary in exchange for a lack of guarantee. Jackson has stated he's into getting security from the Eagle or whomever trades for him. Although a player would love to get it both ways it unlikely the case. Having similar production to Decker along with being more proven throughout the years should yield him a richer contract but not by much. I project 5 years - $40 mil, 16 mil guaranteed. For him to be worth $10+ mil he would have to produce identical numbers out of Kelly's offense during the duration of his contract which is unlikely. Not sure what other team is willing to dish out that type of money.

I slightly disagree as his contract was design in giving him a bloated yearly salary in exchange for a lack of guarantee. Jackson has stated he's into getting security from the Eagle or whomever trades for him. Although a player would love to get it both ways it unlikely the case. Having similar production to Decker along with being more proven throughout the years should yield him a richer contract but not by much. I project 5 years - $40 mil, 16 mil guaranteed. For him to be worth $10+ mil he would have to produce identical numbers out of Kelly's offense during the duration of his contract which is unlikely. Not sure what other team is willing to dish out that type of money.

I agree with you, I would be willing to rip up his current deal if it meant we could include more guaranteed money in exchange for cap savings.The only problem here is that Jackson is apparently against restructuring his contract to facilitate a trade. Are we really willing to forego the chance to land Jackson over a few million? We have $30m in cap space, according to the Cimini tweet yesterday, I say just take on the contract. We will be overpaying in terms of money, but it will also provide us with a very solid WR corp and increased flexibility come draft time. 

I agree with you, I would be willing to rip up his current deal if it meant we could include more guaranteed money in exchange for cap savings.The only problem here is that Jackson is apparently against restructuring his contract to facilitate a trade. Are we really willing to forego the chance to land Jackson over a few million? We have $30m in cap space, according to the Cimini tweet yesterday, I say just take on the contract. We will be overpaying in terms of money, but it will also provide us with a very solid WR corp and increased flexibility come draft time.

According to reports, he's unwilling to do so as he want to hit free agency. Just to state the obvious he would of course field more control in the open market when via trade he will be restricted. So he's just playing his hand in not restructuring which makes sense. Also correct as I've said many times on this thread about just absorbing his contract as it is but since then backed off as the problem of him wanting guaranteed money will still exist. As of today according to OTC, we're at $28 mil.

When you include Vicks $4 mil base salary we have $28 mil I totally agree that we

Eagles coach Chip Kelly remained noncommittal on DeSean Jackson's future in Philadelphia at the league meetings Wednesday.

Jackson emerged upbeat from a recent meeting with Kelly, but the feeling may not be mutual. "I like DeSean, but we are going to do what's best for the team," Kelly stated. There's still a reasonable chance the Eagles wind up releasing Jackson, but for now they're hoping to recoup something in a trade.

Actually no. Desean hasn't been an effective PR in three years. 

Kerley the last two seasons: 32 returns for 323 yards, 1 TD and a 10.1 avg.

Desean the last three seasons: 32 returns for 182 yards, 0 TD and a 5.7 avg. 

Regardless, I don't want my star WR returning punts unless it's a playoff or extremely important game.

I pretty much agree, but I would add that I also do not want a guy returning punts in a playoff or extremely important game unless he has been doing it all year.

But we're always going to do what's best for the organization." said Chip Kelly

You mean the wrong deal right?  The right deal is one that Philly doesn't really want to take.  That is what I fully expect Idzik to offer.

That is not the ringing endorsement that many were expecting to hear out of Kelly. I think he is still available.

Agreed.  That is what every coach or GM says right before they release or trade the player.  We do it all the time.

I pretty much agree, but I would add that I also do not want a guy returning punts in a playoff or extremely important game unless he has been doing it all year.

That's a valid argument, I think for me it would depend on who the player was and how adept they were at catching punts/when was the last time they did it. 

Yep.  Schefty just confirmed this too.

If the Jets want Jackson, they can have him.

I'm with you, I'm fine with the contract. Idzik was brought in because he's a cap wiz.  I know he's shrewd, but he's getting paid to figure out how to make these types of things work.  Jackson is worth what he'll do for this offense IMO.  When was the last time the Jets had a talent like him?  The guy traded a 4th for Ivory, getting Jackson for a 3rd...steal.

I'm with you, I'm fine with the contract. Idzik was brought in because he's a cap wiz.  I know he's shrewd, but he's getting paid to figure out how to make these types of things work.  Jackson is worth what he'll do for this offense IMO.  When was the last time the Jets had a talent like him?  The guy traded a 4th for Ivory, getting Jackson for a 3rd...steal.

Isn't he the guy that said that Jets were in on Jared Allen a couple of hours before he signed with the Bears.  I'm glad we didn't give that guy $15M guarantee and $32M over 4.

Agreed.  That is what every coach or GM says right before they release or trade the player.  We do it all the time.

Remember when REx was asked if Faneca and B Thomas were on the trading block?  He said.  "One thing I can guarantee you is that Brian Thomas will be a Jet next year"   lol

Faneca was released about 45 min later right after they nabbed the sure thing Vlad the exhaler.

Agree

Welp

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/03/eagles_desean_jackson_off-the-field_troubles.html

PHILADELPHIA -- Over the past several weeks,

the Philadelphia Eagles reportedly have begun to shop wide receiver DeSean Jackson.

On its face, the decision to trade one of the NFL's most talented players would seem curious: At 27, Jackson is coming off one of the best seasons of his career -- 82 catches for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns. Plus, he's a playmaker who should thrive for seasons to come in head coach Chip Kelly's fast-paced offense.

Yet the Eagles' apparent interest in jettisoning Jackson likely has little to do with his performance on the field or a big-money contract that could squeeze the team's salary cap. Rather, sources close to Jackson and within the Eagles' organization say, it's Jackson's off-field behavior that concerns the front office. A bad attitude, an inconsistent work ethic, missed meetings and a lack of chemistry with head coach Chip Kelly are the reasons, sources told NJ.com. And when the Eagles looked more deeply into why Jackson was missing meetings, they found that his friends were becoming a more powerful -- and negative -- influence in his life.

Now the Eagles have even more serious concerns -- Jackson's continued association with reputed Los Angeles street gang members who have been connected to two homicides since 2010.

Ever since New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was arrested and charged with first-degree murder last summer, NFL franchises have been reevaluating how closely they needed to watch their players away from the field. And what Eagles executives see in Jackson, a six-year veteran, is apparently a potential blight on the brand and a bad influence in the locker room.

As a source within the Eagles organization, who requested anonymity, put it: "They are concerned about having him around the younger players."

THE FIRST SIGNS

DeSean Jackson was nowhere near the scene of the crime when, on Dec. 29, 2010, 14-year-old Taburi Watson flashed a rival gang sign at two men as he rode his bicycle through South Los Angeles.

The men, reportedly members of the Crips, responded to the teen's provocative gesture by shooting him multiple times, police said. Paramedics pronounced Watson dead at the scene.

"DeSean Jackson was not part of the case," Jane Robison, a spokesman for the LA District Attorney's Office, told NJ.com. "He was not a charged defendant. He was not a witness."

Jackson was, however, associated with Theron Shakir, one of the two men charged with the murder. Along with co-defendant Marques Binns, Shakir is a purported member of the Crips. In addition, Shakir, known as "T-Ron," is a rapper who recorded for Jaccpot Records, a label owned by Jackson. The two were close enough that they appear together frequently in photographs -- including pictures posted by Jackson to Instagram while Shakir sat in jail awaiting trial for the teen's execution.

THE FIRST SIGNS

DeSean Jackson was nowhere near the scene of the crime when, on Dec. 29, 2010, 14-year-old Taburi Watson flashed a rival gang sign at two men as he rode his bicycle through South Los Angeles.

The men, reportedly members of the Crips, responded to the teen's provocative gesture by shooting him multiple times, police said. Paramedics pronounced Watson dead at the scene.

"DeSean Jackson was not part of the case," Jane Robison, a spokesman for the LA District Attorney's Office, told NJ.com. "He was not a charged defendant. He was not a witness."

Jackson was, however, associated with Theron Shakir, one of the two men charged with the murder. Along with co-defendant Marques Binns, Shakir is a purported member of the Crips. In addition, Shakir, known as "T-Ron," is a rapper who recorded for Jaccpot Records, a label owned by Jackson. The two were close enough that they appear together frequently in photographs -- including pictures posted by Jackson to Instagram while Shakir sat in jail awaiting trial for the teen's execution.

Thats the reason why it would not be too smart for the JETS to give away picks for him. Looks like the Eagles are on verge of releasing him.

Archived