DeSean Jackson (MERGED)

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New York Post reports the Jets have interest in DeSean Jackson, but "not at his current price."

The Eagles are actively shopping Jackson, but his unwillingness to restructure makes any potential deal unlikely. Trade talks for Jackson are expected to intensify at this week's league meetings, with the Jets, Raiders, Panthers, 49ers and Seahawks among the teams that have expressed interest. Jackson is owed $10.7 million in 2014 and could ultimately be released.

He's a freak who terrorized the Giants every game. No question about his skills at all. Just weird that the Eagles can't wait to get him out of the building.

Our offense would instantly become dangerous regardless who's playing QB. Clearly the  Eagles aren't dumping him based on performance though....but he can't be worse than Holmes.

Our offense would instantly become dangerous regardless who's playing QB. Clearly the Eagles aren't dumping him based on performance though....but he can't be worse than Holmes.

Holmes was one of the top-three worst dudes I've ever seen wear a uniform. I'd hope Desean isn't in that class.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2014/03/could-jets-be-in-hunt-for-eagles-wr-desean-jackson-source-philly-is-trading-him-or-cutt

ould Michael Vick and Marty Mornhinweg be reuniting with another old pal from Philadelphia? The extent of the Jets reported interest in DeSean Jackson is unclear, but it appears all but certain that the Eagles Pro Bowl wide receiver isn’t returning to Chip Kelly’s team.

"Philly is trading him or cutting him,” a source told the Daily News Saturday. “That's a fact. They don't want him.”

Although the source said that Jackson isn’t interested in restructuring a contract that includes a $10.5 million base salary (and $12.75 million salary cap charge) in 2014, he may have no choice but to take a pay cut. It’s hard to imagine a team would absorb that cap hit.

Jackson, who had 82 receptions for 1,332 yards and nine TDs last season, is scheduled to earn $9.75 million in base salaries in 2015 and 2016. The Eagles would have about $6.5 million in cap savings in 2014 if Jackson is cut, according to overthecap.com.

The NFL Network identified the Jets, Patriots, Raiders, Panthers and 49ers as potential landing spots. Receiver-needy Carolina may make the most sense from a purely football perspective. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Friday that the Eagles are indeed actively shopping their leading wideout from last season. The Eagles reportedly want a third-round pick in a trade.

Mornhinweg’s familiarity with Jackson coupled with a subpar wide receiving corps makes the 27-year-old speedster an intriguing option for Rex Ryan’s team. Jackson’s friendship with Vick, who signed a 1-year, $5 million deal on Friday night, likely isn’t a significant factor, but it definitely doesn’t hurt.

Jackson posted a few highlights of his days with Vick in Philadelphia on his Instagram account Friday night.

“If there’s an opportunity to get DeSean,” Vick said Friday night, “I’m pretty sure the New York Jets fans would be in high favor of that. But who knows? It takes a lot to make a trade happen. . . . It’s not for us as players to try to decide. Hopefully everything works out for DeSean. If he is up in New York, we’ll be happy — just as happy as he will be. But who knows? We can’t say.”

Jackson has rightfully or wrongfully earned the reputation as a garden-variety diva receiver. People close to him believe that’s overblown, but would the Jets take on another potential problem child after ridding themselves of Santonio Holmes?

Even at 5-10, 175 pounds, Jackson’s skills are undeniable. He could provide a dimension in the Jets’ passing game that it desperately needs by taking the top off of defenses and adding a dangerous punt return weapon. Jackson’s 17.2 career yards per catch average is exactly what the Jets need.

The Jets upgraded its receiving corps by signing free agent Eric Decker. A 1-2 punch of Decker and Jackson would be a significant improvement from 2013.

The Jets have plenty of cap space, but Jackson’s current contract would almost certainly need to be re-worked for the Jets to seriously consider any move.

Could be cut? Interesting.

He's a freak who terrorized the Giants every game. No question about his skills at all. Just weird that the Eagles can't wait to get him out of the building.

is it really weird ? Disruptive players can hurt a team and cause a sh*t load of trouble in the locker room. is that something this team needs ?

very true ...so in that case its going to all be about the contract. I think in this respect Idzik will be smart and give us an out if this guy starts his sh*t.

Which is why I wouldn't mind Trading a 5 for his very cuttable contact. Especially when we have a bunch of compensation picks.

Speaking of which, why hasn't Cimini or Mehta called around to find out why, exactly, Jackson is so hated by Chip Kelly? You'd think that'd be a easy story to investigate.

Some nights the layer between the spirit world and our own is thicker than others, perhaps Mehta can't communicate with his special sources via Ouija board right now

Reminder: the Eagles want Riley Cooper on their team and Desean Jackson off of it.

Reminder: After this year's and next year's draft classes are factored in, the Eagles' cap number for 2015 is scheduled to be over $150M with DeSean Jackson on the team.  

That number will be $12M lower by cutting/trading Jackson IF they max out on this year's cap.  

If Philly pushes all $6M of the 2014 savings for moving him on to next year, then that 2015 cap number will be decreased by $18M if they cut/trade him.  

I don't get pass on Revis cause he is a talented PIA but go for Jackson cause he's a talented PIA. Guess Marty has more power than Rex lol.

You pass on Revis because you pay him 12 million bucks for 1 year and then the next year he tries to hold you up all over again. Being a PITA is one thing but Revis takes takes it to a whole other level by being a GREEDY pain in the azz

Reminder: After this year's and next year's draft classes are factored in, the Eagles' cap number for 2015 is scheduled to be over $150M with DeSean Jackson on the team.

That number will be $12M lower by cutting/trading Jackson IF they max out on this year's cap.

If Philly pushes all $6M of the 2014 savings for moving him on to next year, then that 2015 cap number will be decreased by $18M if they cut/trade him.

That's why they're desperate to throw him out on the street this week? 2015 cap space? YEAH OK

If Idzik blows this one too, and lets New England get this guy I will really be pissed and that Jets jersey that I wasn't gonna buy, and that Jets game I was not going to go to in Miami, and that NFL Sunday Ticket that I CAN'T have in this new Apartment complex anyway...well you kinda get the drift...

I have no faith that the Jets will do the right thing and get this kid...why we have Stephen Hill who is just about to break out and become Al Toon.

If there is one thing I have come to understand about the New York Jets over the past 15 years is they NEVER do what you hope and KNOW they SHOULD do-never-either they just don't even TRY to get the player or the guy they WANT and DO try to get doesn't want to BE a NY Jet. Whenever a move makes way too much sense the Jets under Woody's tenure are certain to NOT do it. 

That's why they're desperate to throw him out on the street this week? 2015 cap space? YEAH OK

This is your idea of a gotcha? Think for a minute instead, and let's play some chess instead of checkers.  

Put aside the idea that the Eagles suddenly woke up on the wrong side of their collective bed this week and decided to move Jackson from out of nowhere.  The 2015 cap ramifications did not appear out of thin air this week.  This appears to have been planned in advance, since now is the ideal time for Philadelphia to move him.  After the main free agency moves are done, but still before the draft, is the optimal time window:

1. Wait until the free agent WR market dried up.  Why would a team fork over a 3rd round pick (or whatever they might get) for Jackson when one can pick up a WR with no baggage, and do so without surrendering a pick (even if they're all less talented than Jackson).

2. After the draft a lot of - if not all of - the teams who have an interest in Jackson will have addressed this WR opening or need.  The WR position is said to be particularly deep in this draft class, so there are plenty of good WR prospects to go around to all of the teams who might have otherwise had an interest in Jackson. 

3. If Philadelphia waits until after the draft they can no longer get a 2014 draft pick. Duh.

Now if a team wants a WR there's DeSean Jackson or go with a rookie in the draft, and it's anyone's guess who a team will end up with.  Should more than 1 team show interest now, as is allegedly the case, there's well over a month for Philly to let any bidding war run its course, and therefore get the highest pick they can for him.

Knight jumps queen!

Bishop jumps queen!

Pawns jump queen!

Gangbang!!!

This is your idea of a gotcha? Think for a minute instead, and let's play some chess instead of checkers.

Put aside the idea that the Eagles suddenly woke up on the wrong side of their collective bed this week and decided to move Jackson from out of nowhere. The 2015 cap ramifications did not appear out of thin air this week. This appears to have been planned in advance, since now is the ideal time for Philadelphia to move him. After the main free agency moves are done, but still before the draft, is the optimal time window:

1. Wait until the free agent WR market dried up. Why would a team fork over a 3rd round pick (or whatever they might get) for Jackson when one can pick up a WR with no baggage, and do so without surrendering a pick (even if they're all less talented than Jackson).

2. After the draft a lot of - if not all of - the teams who have an interest in Jackson will have addressed this WR opening or need. The WR position is said to be particularly deep in this draft class, so there are plenty of good WR prospects to go around to all of the teams who might have otherwise had an interest in Jackson.

3. If Philadelphia waits until after the draft they can no longer get a 2014 draft pick. Duh.

Now if a team wants a WR there's DeSean Jackson or go with a rookie in the draft, and it's anyone's guess who a team will end up with. Should more than 1 team show interest now, as is allegedly the case, there's well over a month for Philly to let any bidding war run its course, and therefore get the highest pick they can for him.

Knight jumps queen!

Bishop jumps queen!

Pawns jump queen!

Gangbang!!!

I was a poor child whose parents couldn't afford a chess set. Thank you for flouting my impoverished upbringing.

Tell me that one again about the green pepper burger instead of getting McDonald's. That one always breaks me up. A classic.

BACK TO YOUR POST, do you think the Eagles interest in dumping Jackson is purely economic? If so, letting these rumors linger about Chip Kelly wanting him gone and how they're going to cut him regardless would seem to hurt the market value for what is clearly a talented, productive player.

Archived