Sanchez or Vick?

Joe Jets fan

71 members have voted

1. 1. If one has to be a Jet

• Sanchez
    • Vick

Nope. Geno and Sanchez were about even last year during camp. Problem is, Sanchez had been in the league 4 years while Geno was a rookie. Sanchez should have soundly beat him, but there he was, playing in the 4th quarter of the Snoopy Bowl because Idzik wanted to see more out of him before handing him the job.

With a full training camp and the blessings of Mornhinweg, no chance Sanchez would have a prayer in an "even competition".

they weren't even.. stop fooling yourself

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then what was Sanchez doing playing against the 2nd stringers?

Rex wanted his boy toy to lead an emphatic td drive in a game in which geno couldn't have been worse. end the competition with an exclamation point

they weren't even.. stop fooling yourself

Perhaps not, but the reality is that, statistically, Sanchez's 2012 was nearly identical to Geno's rookie year, which is really saying something.  And let's not forget for all of this alleged improvement some claimed to be seeing out of Sanchez, he still sucked ass in preseason last year, it's just that Geno was worse.  Did we forget that Sanchez started his preseason with one of his infamous DL pick 6s?

I'm not saying Geno is particularly good, but with another year under his belt he'd probably do well enough to beat Sanchez's sorry ass, for whatever that's worth.

They both turn the ball over. Only one of them is a scumbag. I would still happily root for Sanchez if he suddenly stopped single-handedly losing games for us.

This.

The whole reason they are bringing Vick in, it's to whip up the "we'd rather just stay with Sanchez" frenzy with the fans. It's reverse psychology.

Yep...and it's working.

No it's not, but it's disappointing nonetheless.  Neither is the right choice. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Shaun Hill.  Josh Freeman.  Soon, Matt Schaub.  That's the pool we should be choosing from.  I don't want Vick at all, and I want Sanchez gone from this team.

i mean, all of the options are terrible but they're a backup.  Fitzpatrick is perfectly capable and won't be a distraction.

Sanchez vs. Matt Flynn/Jamarcus Russell/Jeff Tuel...  Besides, we're talking about potential backups QBs, not the only options we have to start. How bout the bollywood or quincy carter year? It could always be worse.

This thread needs more Fred Jetstone, IMHO

Perhaps not, but the reality is that, statistically, Sanchez's 2012 was nearly identical to Geno's rookie year, which is really saying something.  And let's not forget for all of this alleged improvement some claimed to be seeing out of Sanchez, he still sucked ass in preseason last year, it's just that Geno was worse.  Did we forget that Sanchez started his preseason with one of his infamous DL pick 6s?

I'm not saying Geno is particularly good, but with another year under his belt he'd probably do well enough to beat Sanchez's sorry ass, for whatever that's worth.

It's an interesting discussion.

On one hand, it'd be an absolute nightmare if Sanchez played just well enough to make it a full blown controversy again.  On the other hand, if Geno can't beat out Sanchez he's almost assuredly not "the guy."

Rex wanted his boy toy to lead an emphatic td drive in a game in which geno couldn't have been worse. end the competition with an exclamation point

It wasn't Rex's call, it was Idzik's.  Which is why Sanchez reportedly yelled at Idzik after he got hurt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/09/report-sanchez-irate-with-idzik-after-shoulder-injury/

Costello reports that Sanchez’s “emotions came out in a behind-the-scenes fit” after he was hurt in the game. Sanchez was inserted into the game with second and third string players in the fourth quarter after the Jets pulled Geno Smith. According to Costello, Sanchez screamed at General Manager John Idzik and was “furious” that the team put him into the game in that situation.

1.  He's 34.  Like Forrest Gump, just like that, his runnin' days are over.

2.  When he does run he gets hurt.

3.  Do we really want Breno Giacommini protecting his blindside?  He's a road-grader in the run game but was a big reason the Seahawks were dead last in the league in protecting the QB according to FootballOutsiders.  Even with a mobile guy like Russell Wilson back there avoiding sacks with Family Guy Greased up Deaf Guy moves, he still took a ton of hits.

Actually, one of the reasons they struggled so badly in protecting Wilson was Giacomini's injury and resultant absence in the starting lineup.  Their line was riddled with injuries throughout the season and it wasn't until Breno and some others, whom I can't remember, returned that their line seemed to be solidified.  

as far as just for helping Geno develope, I'd go with Vick. for the pure fact that he could teach him how to lead the team. Mark has always just seemed like a goof to me and never earned the respect of the locker room. you can't have Geno thinking thats how a NFL QB should act.  Passing wise both mark and vick kinda suck, but Vicks a little better. Running the ball Vick was the best, maybe he can Help Geno out there too. that won't be Mark!

I also think Vick could win alot of games for us if need be.

They will not bring Sanchez back and have him compete against Geno.  If Sanchez looked better they would be screwed.  I just dont want Vick at all.

I would like to see Sanchez run MM's system with a couple decent targets.

I don't think Sanchez is coming back either, but lets be honest, if Sanchez looked better than we need a new QB the next year anyway, and not having Sanchez does not make Geno any better. If Geno is handed the starting job, but would have lost it to Sanchez we are looking for a new QB in 15. I don't think he's coming back, and I don't think he would beat Geno, so it is moot. I would much rather have Sanchez for all the reasons Integrity mentioned, he hit the nail on the head.

Sanchez . But it has to come with a re structure.

I think if Sanchez can learn to throw the ball away when he's in trouble he can improve his game by a large margin. I would still like to see him play with some real talent around him and see how he responds, I think some other teams in the league have this feeling as well based on some of the reports that came out. If we surround him with talent, knowing that we finally have a legit offensive coordinator and Sanchez still fails to cut down on his mistakes and improve his accuracy, then at that point he gets shown the door.

Sanchez vs. Matt Flynn/Jamarcus Russell/Jeff Tuel...  Besides, we're talking about potential backups QBs, not the only options we have to start. How bout the bollywood or quincy carter year? It could always be worse.

Vick isn't coming to be a backup.  It's nice that fans think Geno Smith is the guy, but obviously the Jets don't think that.   They have been tied to McKnown, Vick, & Schaub  and Vick is visiting this weekend.      Those 3 guys aren't going to be backups.  McKnown signed with the Bucs to be the starter.  Vick has said he wants to start.    He's not going to a team like the Packers, Broncos, Patriots, Falcons, 49ers, etc.  He knows he wouldn't start at those places and have no shot at starting.   Teams like the Jets, Raiders, etc don't exactly have good QB situations.

So people can view it as he'll be a backup, but I view it more as,  Vick is going to sign with a team where he pretty much is going to be the starer or has a hell of a good shot at starting.   And the fact the Jets are talking to a guy like Vick and not the Shaun Hills or Ryan Fitzpatricks of the world, you know guys who aren't going to be starters anywhere,  tells you where Idziks head is.

We need someone that can win the job. Sanchez, Vick, and Geno are all unappetizing options. 

If Idzyk is all Seahawky why doesnt he not give a damn about the starter and get 2 or 3 that can win the job out right? 

I feel like they are commiting to Geno and looking for his backup....that aint all Seahawk-y enough for me. The Seahawks promoted competition and cut Flynn and gave Wilson the gig.

With that said...I voted Sanchez. Sad to say, I think hes the best of the three.

Another sh*tty reality check.

Thank God someone saved the depressing thread with Monty Python. 

Anyone who selects Sanchez is crazy, he has to go...I'm not excited about Vick either, but I take him about 1 million years before Sanchez who let his whole team quit on him because he sucks..at least Vick would give us a chance to win games and put up more than 1TD if he got his number called.

Also you know Idzik would pay his value or not sign him at all. I like that. Idzik has a plan with FA and I for 1 am very happy with what we have done so far and am looking forward to the draft..

Vick isn't coming to be a backup.  It's nice that fans think Geno Smith is the guy, but obviously the Jets don't think that.   They have been tied to McKnown, Vick, & Schaub  and Vick is visiting this weekend.      Those 3 guys aren't going to be backups.  McKnown signed with the Bucs to be the starter.  Vick has said he wants to start.    He's not going to a team like the Packers, Broncos, Patriots, Falcons, 49ers, etc.  He knows he wouldn't start at those places and have no shot at starting.   Teams like the Jets, Raiders, etc don't exactly have good QB situations.

So people can view it as he'll be a backup, but I view it more as,  Vick is going to sign with a team where he pretty much is going to be the starer or has a hell of a good shot at starting.   And the fact the Jets are talking to a guy like Vick and not the Shaun Hills or Ryan Fitzpatricks of the world, you know guys who aren't going to be starters anywhere,  tells you where Idziks head is.

All reports are that the Jets told Vick he'd have to compete for the starting job, which is why he soured on them in the beginning of free agency. He's been met by a cold market, which is why he's now back visiting the Jets. 

Not Vick. He gas done nothing with the Eagles in his stay there. He has not played a full season because of injury. He was an attraction at Atlanta but really didn't do much with them either. He is a novelty side show but his talents, whatever he had, are long gone.

Sanchez had more rushing TDs in 2011 than Vick had the last three years combined.

And Vick had more TD passes against the skins in 1 game on a Monday night than Sanchez had in 2012. Ok not really but u get the point.

All reports are that the Jets told Vick he'd have to compete for the starting job, which is why he soured on them in the beginning of free agency. He's been met by a cold market, which is why he's now back visiting the Jets. 

He has to think he's going to start for the Jets or he doesn't sign.  The market is cold, but it's been cold on most QBs.   But teams like the Raiders, etc could be places Vick starts.   that is unless they want to draft a QB in the first round.   

But that's the problem.  If you think Geno should be given another year,  you dont' sign Vick.  If you think Geno sucks,  you sign Vick.  He's not that good for one, always gets injured, and brings a circus to town.

Just get Jason Campbell, please.

Signed with Cincy.

Tragic

Had a WCO background, not a doosh, and is probably a better option at QB today then Vick and Sanchez.

He was throw first but capable of being mobile...much like Geno...and had Geno lost in TC, the playing style was similar enough to where it wouldnt throw the whole offense out of sync.

He was a much better fit than those 2 trainwrecks IMO

Signed with Cincy.

Tragic

Had a WCO background, not a doosh, and is probably a better option at QB today then Vick and Sanchez.

He was throw first but capable of being mobile...much like Geno...and had Geno lost in TC, the playing style was similar enough to where it wouldnt throw the whole offense out of sync.

He was a much better fit than those 2 trainwrecks IMO

You forgot to mention Jason Campbell sucks. I actually think Geno is better

Fair enough. With his strong run blocking #'s on FO and his strong pass-blocking #'s on PFF......should I be concerned that the Seahawks let him go so easily?

Those numbers are hokis pokis I wouldn't give them much significance.

You forgot to mention Jason Campbell sucks. I actually think Geno is better

Very insightful of you.

As I said...he is a better QB then Sanchez and Vick today.

He is not a good starting QB...but could be a good mentor for Geno due to the similarities of their game and his knowledge of the WCO.

If Im not mistaken he came in for CLEV last year and once or twice threw for over 300 yds...he is capable if called upon...and that was my point.

Each of vick, geno and sanchez have their negatives however vick is 34 with no upside and is not the runner he was when he was exciting to watch, less playoff wins than sanchez, Sanchez has shown he can can be part of a winning team having twine gotten to within a game of the SB and if not for a stupid coaching decision would have started last season with his first real OC. Geno showed flashes of a strong arm but poor decisions although finished the season strong. I don't think Geno will be a consistent winner and am not confident of Mark but go with Mark because he has never had a shot with a viable OC.

One caveat, he has to restructure his contract.

Archived