Willie Colon re-signed

Klecko73isGod

Very solid signing. Brings continuity, plus in the pass game, struggled in the run game a bit, but picked it up towards the end of the year. Still would like to draft one this year, but at the very least it gives Campbell or the new draft pick another year to develop and acclimate to the NFL game. 

At this point, he is the highest rated guard left on the market.

He was also rated in the top 10 of "available guards" by nearly every publication before free agency even began, for whatever it's worth.  Yeah, we missed out on Schwartz and Asamoah.  But Colon is better than most stop-gap options, and at $2M, fine by me.

Colon might not be a terrific run blocker but the acquisition of Giacomini shored us up nicely on the right side of the line.  We can roll with Ferguson-Winters-Mangold-Colon-Giacomini.  Plus I imagine we'll continue to stockpile linemen in the draft.

He was also rated in the top 10 of "available guards" by nearly every publication before free agency even began, for whatever it's worth.  Yeah, we missed out on Schwartz and Asamoah.  But Colon is better than most stop-gap options, and at $2M, fine by me.

Colon might not be a terrific run blocker but the acquisition of Giacommini shored us up nicely on the right side of the line.

Plus at that price he can very easily be sent to the bench if he's outplayed by any one of a future FA pickup, a draft pick, or even Campbell or Aboushi.  If nobody steps up out of that pool, then at least they've still got Colon.

Plus at that price he can very easily be sent to the bench if he's outplayed by any one of a future FA pickup, a draft pick, or even Campbell or Aboushi.  If nobody steps up out of that pool, then at least they've still got Colon.

Yep, clearly a situation where if an upgrade at RG comes available, he'll get the job, but you don't want to replace the incumbent until you have a replacement ready to go.  Tannenbaum made that mistake far too often on the OL.

Does anyone know a good site for contract info?  I normally use Rotoworld, but that only shows current salary info.

I want to compare this signing to Stephen Peterman, the OG we signed and cut in last year's pre-season.  

Does anyone know a good site for contract info?  I normally use Rotoworld, but that only shows current salary info.

I want to compare this signing to Stephen Peterman, the OG we signed and cut in last year's pre-season.  

Typically overthecap.com is a good bet, but given that he's gone I'm not sure you'd be able to find anything for him there.

Just doing a quick search I found this:  "New York Jets OG Stephen Peterman signed a one-year deal worth $905,000. The deal includes a $65,000 signing bonus."

Good. No immediate need to fill his vacated spot with the 18th overall pick.

I expect similar signings of a CB and WR before the draft also. 

I'd be willing to bet Cromartie or Samuel at CB.  I'd also guess Rice at WR, not that I'm really in love with the idea.

Typically overthecap.com is a good bet, but given that he's gone I'm not sure you'd be able to find anything for him there.

Just doing a quick search I found this: "New York Jets OG Stephen Peterman signed a one-year deal worth $905,000. The deal includes a $65,000 signing bonus."

Thanks man

Impossible for anyone with anything at all between their ears to find fault with this signing.  

Give it a second, it'll come.  

I'll toss out a few ideas and see if anyone picks em up and rolls with it. 1) biceps injury was suffered late in the season: not allowing him to work out, possibly not in shape or ready for camp.  2) Too vocal in the locker room and to the media. 3) Too ardent of a Rex supporter. 3) That's just like Idzik to sign an injured player for a guaranteed roster spot.  And go.

And so begins the quiet mid level moves Idzik will use to fill out the roster while he uses the draft to get the guys he wants. I like this signing as I did Pace, Cumberland and the D line guy who's name I suddenly can  not remember for the life of me., Douzable!!! There it is. 

These are the things that enable us to go BAP in the draft and build a strong competitive roster. 

Give it a second, it'll come.  

I'll toss out a few ideas and see if anyone picks em up and rolls with it. 1) biceps injury was suffered late in the season: not allowing him to work out, possibly not in shape or ready for camp.  2) Too vocal in the locker room and to the media. 3) Too ardent of a Rex supporter. 3) That's just like Idzik to sign an injured player for a guaranteed roster spot.  And go.

gotta better one for ya. 4. hasn't finished a complete season without injury since 2009

gotta better one for ya. 4. hasn't finished a complete season without injury since 2009

True, but that last one is a bit disingenuous as he made it through 15.5 games this year.  However, it's all the more reason to draft his eventual replacement this year and have him be our backup

Good. No immediate need to fill his vacated spot with the 18th overall pick.

I expect similar signings of a CB and WR before the draft also.

I expect an identical signing at CB, in that they'll bring back Cromartie after flirting with the idea of upgrading at the position. Not so sure about WR. I've read that they think Hill can still be the burner opposite Decker. That could be smoke-blowing, but they do have Kerley and Nelson, and WR is still probably the most likely position to be taken at #18.

Archived