Kyle Wilson

tkiss24

There is something I don't get and it's that a decent amount of jet fans dont seem to think Wilson is a bad corner. He's a terrible corner. Here's a typical game for Wilson....look around pre snap shaking your head cuz you don't know what the hell is going on....you stand in place as the receiver comes running full speed at you and you begin your backpedal as he reaches (and subsequently gets a step or two one you)....finally ball is thrown, you have no idea what to do while it's in nth air and lucky for you the receiver was overthrown and catch not made..now celebrate. If this guy is a starting corner I will lose my mind. I've resigned myself to the fact that Kyle Wilson will be one of those players who is here forever, and like Bryan Thomas he will be remembered for being a "jet for life" who "wasn't all that bad." Remember this guy was taken round 1 and has been nothing short of disappointing his career.

I agree, but he is a bad player...I can honestly say I don't ever remember saying " wow" in a positive way on a play that involved kyle Wilson...there's a reason the jets drafted dee to replace revis with the their first draft pick when Wilson was already on the roster

Being overdrafted isn't the same thing as being a bad player.

Yes, but being a bad player is the same as being a bad player.  Unfortunately for him, and us, he is a bad player.

He has zero ball skills, when the ball is thrown his way it's either a catch, interference, or a bad throw/drop by offense...I feel like the last option there is what happened a bunch this year whihay explain why he isn't viewed as bad as he was (also playin on the same team as a bet bad Cro helped that too)

Being overdrafted isn't the same thing as being a bad player.

This.

As is the Jets fan way, for whatever reason, people evaluate their opinions of a player about 5 minutes after he's on the team and refuse to ever change their beliefs after that.  Which is why ever since the messy start to his career, so many refuse to acknowledge any degree of ability or success.  It's the same reason for the endless blind support any Jets QB who isn't awful out of the gate gets for the rest of their lives, no matter how badly they fail afterwards.

He's a disappointment for sure, but nowhere near as bad as so many around here claim him to be.  What makes this thread so amusing is that the vast majority of the folks on this board endlessly curse Wilson's name, and it's seen as blasphemy any time someone has a single non-insulting word to say about the guy.

There is something I don't get and it's that a decent amount of jet fans dont seem to think Wilson is a bad corner. He's a terrible corner. Here's a typical game for Wilson....look around pre snap shaking your head cuz you don't know what the hell is going on....you stand in place as the receiver comes running full speed at you and you begin your backpedal as he reaches (and subsequently gets a step or two one you)....finally ball is thrown, you have no idea what to do while it's in nth air and lucky for you the receiver was overthrown and catch not made..now celebrate. If this guy is a starting corner I will lose my mind. I've resigned myself to the fact that Kyle Wilson will be one of those players who is here forever, and like Bryan Thomas he will be remembered for being a "jet for life" who "wasn't all that bad." Remember this guy was taken round 1 and has been nothing short of disappointing his career.

Dude, I have been saying the same thing since his second year with the team. Never turns his head around to see where the ball is and quite frankly, I don't understand WTF Rex and Tanny saw in this guy and WHY HE IS STILL HERE. He should have been cut after his 2nd season along with the do nothing Vlad Ducasse. I don't (and never have) understand the Jets personnel moves.

Wrong. Consistently rated as one of top slot corners in the league which in today's game is huge.

Jets fans are idiots.

I agree. Plus in 2012 he played outside. He ranked in the top 20 cbs of that year with the least first downs and touchdowns relative to snaps played. He was 19, cromartie was 8 with 4.36% of snaps goin for 1sts and tds. Kyle was at 5.28%. Would also like to note Sherman was 13 on that list, Browner 14 Flowers 16. Hes in good company. I guess they are all bad tho

Honestly forget the #'s an rankings...as jet fans how do you feel when you see a pass thrown downfield with any receiver and kyle Wilson fighting for the ball??? I am literally petrified every time I see him on the field in any capacity.

Honestly forget the #'s an rankings...as jet fans how do you feel when you see a pass thrown downfield with any receiver and kyle Wilson fighting for the ball??? I am literally petrified every time I see him on the field in any capacity.

Yeah, forget stats and results and grades and metrics. Jets fans are above all that and can use the old gut reaction and eyeball test to judge all players.

He blankets WR's, they never gain YAC because he's always in their pocket and is a sure tackler.   He doesnt get his head around to be a ball hawk, we all know that.  But he's about as sure of a slot corner as you can find which in today's game in extremely valuable.  Besides last seasons terrible secondary play, he's been an integral part of the league best pass defense under Rex Ryan. 

He blankets WR's, they never gain YAC because he's always in their pocket and is a sure tackler. He doesnt get his head around to be a ball hawk, we all know that. But he's about as sure of a slot corner as you can find which in today's game in extremely valuable. Besides last seasons terrible secondary play, he's been an integral part of the league best pass defense under Rex Ryan.

That's grey to not give up yac, but how about breaking up a pass once in a while, it's either dropped/poorly thrown,flag or a catch with him

I don't think you realize how much different playing the slot is compared to outside.  You have no sideline to pinch the WR to, it's an extremely difficult position to play.  Whether you want to agree with them or not, most metrics have him as an above average slot corner in the league, which is good to have.  Obviously he was over-drafted, you don't draft a slot corner in the first round. However, looking past that, he certainly is not a bad player. 

Same goes from Thomas. He was over-drafted and that was magnified by the players we passed up for him, but he was actually a very solid player for us for a long time.  Did you see how our run-defense went to sh*t when he was injured? The stuff that both he and Pace do are so over-looked by the average fan.

Oh I get it, but I also realize that half the time I watch him pre snap he is looking around the defensive back field with his hands up like he doesn't know what's going on...I realize that he consistently a step or 2 behind his guy in man coverage

I can see that you are disappointed that Wilson is on the team. I think you will be even move disappointed when the jets extend his contract this year or next

Our expectations of corners needs to be lowered.  Every team in the league is having massive difficulties stopping opposing passing attacks.  We've been better than most in this category for at least the first 4 years of the Rex tenure.  Only last season, with the downfall of Antonio Cromartie, growing pains of Dee Milliner, and early injury to Antwan Bares, has our pass defense taken a hit overall.  We don't have Revis anymore; big deal.  You can't hang your hat on shutdown corners.

It is nice, however, to be able to hang your hat on a guy that can handle those pesky slot guys.  Julian Edelman is back in New England.  Wilson's usefulness on him 2 games a year is crucial.  Was he worth a 1st round pick?  Not really, but he's closer to being a solid pick than he is a bust.

Our expectations of corners needs to be lowered.  Every team in the league is having massive difficulties stopping opposing passing attacks.  We've been better than most in this category for at least the first 4 years of the Rex tenure.  Only last season, with the downfall of Antonio Cromartie, growing pains of Dee Milliner, and early injury to Antwan Bares, has our pass defense taken a hit overall.  We don't have Revis anymore; big deal.  You can't hang your hat on shutdown corners.

It is nice, however, to be able to hang your hat on a guy that can handle those pesky slot guys.  Julian Edelman is back in New England.  Wilson's usefulness on him 2 games a year is crucial.  Was he worth a 1st round pick?  Not really, but he's closer to being a solid pick than he is a bust.

This all comes down to the extremely Jet-Centric point of view that so many posters have here.

On offense, we expect that our WRs should have yards of separation on every play.  On defense, we expect that our CBs should never get beat.  So, our WRs are supposed to be always able to beat CBs, but CBs (at least ours) should be so good that they never get beat by WRs.  It's like every time the other team makes a play, it's really a failure by the Jets and every time the Jets make a play, well that's what they're supposed to do.

Kyle Wilson has been a solid player for this team.  He's not great.  But, he's been good.  You're not going to have pro-bowlers at every position (ode to smash).  He's not a pro-bowler.  That's okay.

The perfect example, though there are many, of this line of thinking at it's worst is the Championship game against the Steelers.  I laugh every time we hear that the Jets "came out flat" or were "unprepared," as if that is the main reason they weren't able to fulfill their destiny of winning every game.  How many times on this board did you hear that "the Jets were beat" or "the better team won?"  Almost never.  It's as if that was never even a consideration.  There's no way we could have lost that game if it weren't for bad preparation... No way the Steelers were better than us.  We simply messed up.   Same, can be said against the Colts in the Championship games.  Because the Jets took an early lead, apparently the Colts were supposed to give up and doing what they do best... Scoring points...

It reminds me of the old No Fear shirt... "I've never lost... I've only been a few points behind when time ran out."  That's the expectation of so many fans.  In reality, the other guys get paid too.  Kyle Wilson is a solid player who WRs, who are professionals who get paid to get open, sometimes get open on.  Same goes for teams that come out and beat us.

Eeeeeeeerrrrrrr if you're not a stuper star than wut r u eeeeeeerrrrr. Cant just blow firsts on solid regulars on a team with no offense eerrrr

The funny thing is that Wilsin was very popular when acquired. Dare I say the most well received Jet first rounder in recent memory.

JiF might be right but I think its the sport itself that lends to the idiocy. For a game that artificially gets dragged out for three hours it sure does breed impatience and overly rash and emotional "analysis."

Wilson is nothing special but as typical CBs go he is not terrible.

To put it in simple terms, Kyle Wilson isn't very good at football. Is he so terrible that he's not worthy of a roster spot? No, he's not. Is he as good as some of you knuckleheads claim him to be? No, he's not. Am I going to sit here and go nuts if Kyle Wilson is our 3rd cornerback? No, I'm not.

If we knew that Kyle Wilson would be the player he is today back in 2010, he would have been a 5th round pick. And drafting 5th round players in the 1st round isn't good business. Those of you ignoring his draft slot are silly. It's all about value and getting a good return on our investment, and we didn't get much back by picking Kyle Wilson in the first round.

If I spend $100,000 and get a 2010 Toyota Corolla in return, does that mean the Toyota is a piece a piece of sh*t? No, but it means that I'm pretty f*cking stupid not getting something nicer than a Toyota for the money I spent. That's what Kyle Wilson is: a kind of sh*tty 2010 Toyota Corolla. Sure, it'll get me from point A to point B most of the time, but for $100,000, I should have gotten something that performs a lot better.

Wrong. Consistently rated as one of top slot corners in the league which in today's game is huge.

Jets fans are idiots.

Not totally sure about the idiots part, but Wilson is an above average outside guy,played well in 2012 when Revis went down, and a very good slot guy.

Wilson is actually better on the outside then in the slot as his skill set is all about press coverage. He's really bad at playing off especially against slot receivers. The problem when he plays on the outside is back solider throws and in the redzone. Now that Wikson is a number two he can prove that he's better as a press corner then a slot.

Archived