Mike Evans officially visiting Jets in the coming weeks.

hoping4ASuperBowl

I'm still not sure he'd be available at 18, but I would love to have this guy.  Anyone watch him in college?  Is he as good as advertised?

https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/446450919748947968

Draft Insider Tony Pauline confirms that Texas A&M WR Mike Evans has an official visit scheduled with the New York Jets.

The Jets are desperate for a play making receiver with Mike Evans skill set. Evans dominates at the catch point and uses his size to box out smaller defenders. The Jets need to stay committed to surrounding Geno Smith with weapons if they want him to succeed in New York. The 6-foot-5, 225 pounder could be the true No.1 wide out that the Jets offense has been missing. New York is sitting at the No.18 spot, and would most likely have to move up in the top-15 to get a chance to draft Evans.

I said this in another thread but it bears repeating here...

Chances that Idzik can initiate and close a trade in the 15 minute window each draft pick has in the first round?  Not good.  It will take him 14 minutes to dial the phone. 

Don't really like him....but I do expect him to be there at 18.

What's not to like about him? This is exactly the type of guy to trade up for.  He's huge, he's fast, he's a hands catcher and he can high-point the ball like a power forward.  

I would trade with STL if he's there at 13, giving up our 1st and 2nd round pick, and getting their 3rd.

Jets get: #13 overall, #75 overall

STL gets: #18 overall, #49 overall

and it would be a steal. 

If we somehow end up with DeSean Jackson, you put him in the slot, he's that good. 

What's not to like about him? This is exactly the type of guy to trade up for.  He's huge, he's fast, he's a hands catcher and he can high-point the ball like a power forward.  

I would trade with STL if he's there at 13, giving up our 1st and 2nd round pick, and getting their 3rd.

and it would be a steal. 

If we somehow end up with DeSean Jackson, you put him in the slot, he's that good.

The same way N.O. used Jimmy Graham. Creates matchup problems all over the field. And if Goodsen can come back strong, they can sneak him out like Sproles, with favorable matchups against LB's. A receiving core of DJ, Decker & Evans would be tops in the league.

and it would be a steal. 

The simplistic offense he was in is a concern. Didnt run a ton of routes....but then again what routes does Jimmy Graham run. 

him and lee will be gone by 18

lee is dropping he will be there at 18 and the Jets will pass

Evans probably isn't there at 18 but then again Milliner wasn't supposed to be at 9 and Geno wasn't supposed to be there at 39... s--t happens. 

and it would be a steal. 

Pick #18 & # 80 would probably be good enough to get to #13. If not give them Pick #18, 100(4th) & 142(5th). You don't need to be exact with the value. If STL is willing to trade down 5 spots, that should be sufficient. Leave the 2nd rd. pick alone

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=nyj

What if Lee and Evans are both there? Just wondering..

As much as I like Lee, I think you have to go Evans in that scenario.  You just dont find that type of size and speed ratio.

That said, I dont see a scenario where he falls to the Jets.

As much as I like Lee, I think you have to go Evans in that scenario. You just dont find that type of size and speed ratio.

Yeah I think I agree but if you were to ask me, who has the most legitimate chance of becoming an all pro out of this class, after Watkins I think I'd say Lee. But to your point the size speed hands ratio on Evans gets me too starry eyed to take Lee over him. If Lee were 100% healthy and ran 3/10s faster at the combine I would probably reconsider.

As much as I like Lee, I think you have to go Evans in that scenario.  You just dont find that type of size and speed ratio.

stephen hill

Did they have Evans come out of the 3 point stance at all at his pro day/combine?

He's more Jimmy Graham than WR to me.

In all fairness, when's the last time you even saw Jimmy Graham come out of a 3 point stance? Dude's in the slot three-quarters of the time he lines up it seems.

stephen hill

I don't know about that.  Here's both their NFL scouting reports:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/stephen-hill?id=2533537

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468

Seems like both have a lack of understanding and utilization of a full route tree because of the simplistic offenses they were in, but isn't that a majority of college football teams programs.  Also, Hill had about half as many catches in all his years at Georgia as Evans had in his freshman year alone.  Hill seemed to be more just a deep threat when he was coming out where as Evans seems to be more of a possession receiver who lacks the top end speed Hill has but has better hands.

Archived