Idzik could trade for Cornerback. (Id/Rex conference call)

GREENBEAN

I'll tell ya man. I seriously think the entire NFL and all of the press have a serious hard on for the Jets and what they do. Every ten minutes there is an over reaction to anything said at all. 

That being said, a trade for Desean and a CB like Joseph would change everyone's overly reactive tunes pretty quickly I think. 

The link has a video.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335706/article/john-idzik-new-york-jets-could-trade-for-cb-help

New York Jets general manager John Idzik has earned a reputation as a deliberate worker, an executive unlikely to act without a good amount of time and thought preceding action. Whether this trait is a positive or negative depends on who you ask.

Free-Agent Tracker
0ap2000000276066.jpgFollow all the developments on the NFL's open market with our up-to-the-minute tracking of 2014's free agents. More ...

On Thursday, Idzik and Jets coach Rex Ryan took part in a conference call where the team's inability to land a cornerback in free agency served as the primary topic of discussion.

Living up to his reputation, the typically reclusive Idzik offered vague, measured responses when queried about Darrelle Revis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Antonio Cromartie -- three corners who signed elsewhere in free agency.

Idzik refuted the idea the Jets missed opportunities in the past week and left the door open to acquiring secondary help elsewhere.

"As we proceed through free agency and approach the draft, there may be trade talks," he said. "There may be roster transactions, players become available that may be of interest. So we're very open-minded and we feel like we're prepared to act."

Rex Ryan, meanwhile, dismissed reports that the cornerback position has created a problem in the relationship with his general manager. He joked at one point that he would refrain from using the "P-word," a reference to the report he was "pissed" when Rodgers-Cromartie signed with the New York Giants.

"I'm an emotional guy, and sometimes I do get upset if a guy is in here and he chooses to go somewhere else ... more with that individual, like, 'Golly, can he not see what we have here?'

"But as far as upset with John? There can't be anything further from the truth than that. We have a plan. ... And we are together. We are side by side on this the entire way.

"We're in good hands because John Idzik is our general manager."

Some other takeaways from the call:

» If you thought a conference call with the Jets' head coach and general manager would shed light on why the team chose not to seriously pursue Revis before he signed with the New England Patriots, think again. Idzik spoke in generalities and Ryan answered the question like he had a gun poked in his ribcage.

» Idzik was similarly vague on the subject of Mark Sanchez's departure: "We're in constant contact with Mark and his representatives, and we're talking on a daily basis. So when the time comes to make a decision, we'll be well-equipped."

» Ryan is not panicking about his suspect secondary, at least not during his phone conversation with a handful of beat writers. "Well, I feel really good about our corners." The coach singled out second-year cornerback Dee Milliner as a player ready to make the leap. He better be.

Seriously, a press conference over this?

It was all about showing the lack of a canyon between Rex & Idzik.  Understandable given the leaks.  Makes no difference to me if they did it or if they didn't.  Their jobs are still the same.

This time 2 years ago the Jets had a press conference introducing their backup QB, who they were paying 7 figures to and also cost a 4th rounder, and who was forced to change positions and then was out of the league & barely a year later, despite being 100% healthy.  

So this is an improvement.

It was all about showing the lack of a canyon between Rex & Idzik. Understandable given the leaks. Makes no difference to me if they did it or if they didn't. Their jobs are still the same.

This time 2 years ago the Jets had a press conference introducing their backup QB, who they were paying 7 figures to and also cost a 4th rounder, and who was forced to change positions and then was out of the league & barely a year later, despite being 100% healthy.

So this is an improvement.

Being less idiotic may be an improvement but thought we were done with this nonsense

So we're going to trade for a receiver, giving up assets in the process and then paying the guy... and somehow this is a more cost efficient way to get a corner than just signing one?

Not if you are not in love with any of the options available. I would have liked to see them make more moves too, but I would be equally happy if they chose not to spend money on guys they didn't like all that much just because they were there.  Singing Decker and trading the Revis 4th for D Jackson wouldn't be all that terrible. Who could argue that Djax isn't better than the WR's who were available this FA period?

If they only really liked V.Davis but lost him and didn't panic to sign another CB they weren't in love with, that's fine too. Let's see what happens. I'm all for trades.

Not if you are not in love with any of the options available. I would have liked to see them make more moves too, but I would be equally happy if they chose not to spend money on guys they didn't like all that much just because they were there.  Singing Decker and trading the Revis 4th for D Jackson wouldn't be all that terrible. Who could argue that Djax isn't better than the WR's who were available this FA period?

If they only really liked V.Davis but lost him and didn't panic to sign another CB they weren't in love with, that's fine too. Let's see what happens. I'm all for trades.

Minus the part about singing, it would mean Revis, while injured and in need of a new $16M/year deal was traded, and the net results of that trade are Sheldon Richardson, Desean Jackson, and enough additional cap room to re-sign Calvin Pace and Willie Colon.

We'll see if Idzik does this move first before crediting him for having done it (for better or for worse).

So we're going to trade for a corner, giving up assets in the process and then paying the guy... and somehow this is a more cost efficient way to get a corner than just signing one?b.

if you get the guy you want---yes.  cornerback is not  generic position

Ryan is not panicking about his suspect secondary, at least not during his phone conversation with a handful of beat writers. "Well, I feel really good about our corners." The coach singled out second-year cornerback Dee Milliner as a player ready to make the leap. He better be.

Rex is the only breathing human that feels good about our corners. Really good  - that is. My stomach hurts thinking about them.

Minus the part about singing, it would mean Revis, while injured and in need of a new $16M/year deal was traded, and the net results of that trade are Sheldon Richardson, Desean Jackson, and enough additional cap room to re-sign Calvin Pace and Willie Colon.

We'll see if Idzik does this move first before crediting him for having done it (for better or for worse).

lol  yeah singing Decker. I wonder what that sounds like.  ;D

Yeah even if it was just a straight up trade for Sheldon and Djax for Revis I don't think anyone would question making that move.

lol  yeah singing Decker. I wonder what that sounds like.  ;D

Yeah even if it was just a straight up trade for Sheldon and Djax for Revis I don't think anyone would question making that move.

What are you, new to this place or are you just new to being a Jets fan? Or perhaps you've never read a column by any of the Jets beat writers?

lol

What are you, new to this place or are you just new to being a Jets fan? Or perhaps you've never read a column by any of the Jets beat writers?

lol

I hear ya. Either way though, it would have to be a real stretch for someone to legitimately argue with a move like that. Whether or not you loved Revis or whatever. Include the every other year hold out situation and it's even better.

There ya go.

Plus I think that headline already happened when we took Sheldon "Good God another DT???" Richardson.

I'm sure. In all honesty I may have said it myself. Truth be told I simply didn't understand the Richardson pick.... and THAT'S why I'm giving Idzik a pass right about now. I used to agree with tons of crap Tanny did. I'm not so sure I know what the hell I'm talking about these days.  lol

I'm gonna wait and see what Idzik does and how it all plays out before I pull my hair out (I almost lost it when Revis signed with the Pats though).

not that I won't have an opinion of course :character0036:

I'm sure. In all honesty I may have said it myself. Truth be told I simply didn't understand the Richardson pick.... and THAT'S why I'm giving Idzik a pass right about now. I used to agree with tons of crap Tanny did. I'm not so sure I know what the hell I'm talking about these days.  lol

I'm gonna wait and see what Idzik does and how it all plays out before I pull my hair out (I almost lost it when Revis signed with the Pats though).

not that I won't have an opinion of course :character0036:

I may have thought the same thing. But I'm rarely up on just how good these prospects are coming out of school, and all I saw was the position he played.

Well let's not forget, Richardson was clearly only the 3rd best DT even on the board.

Ha! Forgot about that one.  Stupid doodyhead accountant should have taken Lotulelei or Floyd!!! 

Archived