New York Jets Sign Mike Vick!

Lupz27

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i asked if you thought your employer would keep you around had you done the same thing. obviously vick is highly talented......

Well, his employer, the Falcons did not retain him. When you have a unique skill, you'll always have a job.

Genius hackers have ruined lives by their cyber crimes and the first thing they're met with is a job offer. I'm not saying it's right by any means, but Vick is hardly the first criminal to be allowed a chance to regain a high profile job.

i asked if you thought your employer would keep you around had you done the same thing. obviously vick is highly talented......

I'm not sure what my job has to do with Vick playing for the Jets.  

But to answer your question, no they wouldn't.  I'm a dime a dozen; thirty-something bartender going back to grad school to make something of myself while busty blonde girls with no experience and tattoos inundate my industry.  But lost in this back-and-forth is the subtle point, that you're making for me.  

I forget the details, but some high profile radio talk show host just lost his job for being politically incorrect.  His employer decided that the public outcry of his actions would have a negative affect on their sponsors' decision to give them money.  Keeping him = less money.  So he was fired.  

Vick was given a job because some higher ups did the math and determined that if adding his talent would give them a better chance to win that they could make more money.  Hiring him = more wins = more money.  So he was given a job. This was in the face of PETA and pet-loving fans everywhere. Somehow, he gained fan support in one of the toughest cities to do just that.  The key for him was to clean up his image, repair whatever repair-work he could, and then keep his nose clean.  It also helped that he lead the Eagles to an 11-5 record and a playoff appearance in his first year back. The following year, 2010, they went 10-6 and finished first in the division.  In 2011, they missed the playoffs but won their last four games to finish strong on their 8-8, and Vick had thrown for more yards than in any other season in the NFL.  The fans had hope.  He had a job.

It is his football talent that makes him money.  That is what I'm focusing on.       

What exactly is your argument?  

post #40

I don't agree with a lot of sh*t that happens in the south.  Dipping biscuits in milk is one of them.  

My post was initially a response to concerns about player compatibility within the locker room.  "Decker loves dogs...Vick killed dogs...is this going to be an issue?" and my response was to point out: Vick has made visible and financial reparations, both in the past, and through an ongoing foundation to ensure (at least from a public relations perspective) that he won't have any current issues with teammates for his past actions.  

Whether valid or contrived, he has gone out of his way to present the image of a changed person. 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is the worst signing ever in Jets History. Idzik and W.Johnson are Clowns and Fools. This disgusts me as a jets fan.

This definitely shows how classless this football franchise is. They really are a bunch of losers. #SameOldJets

Keep going....there are 32 teams.

Didn't cherry pick the teams.  Just gave you all the teams that we are in direct competition with.  If you won't except that sample guess you'll have to wait till Vick starts.  Not to worry though Vick will be injured by mid November.

The wildcat sucks and Vick can't run that well anymore. Stop.

Vick average 8.5 yards per carry last year.  That is his biggest average since 2001.  The numbers disagree with your statement.

If you want to say he isn't that good of a QB, the #s would support you.  But in a limited role, which is what he will have here, he can be very productive.

Vick average 8.5 yards per carry last year. That is his biggest average since 2001. The numbers disagree with your statement.

If you want to say he isn't that good of a QB, the #s would support you. But in a limited role, which is what he will have here, he can be very productive.

Again. There is no limited role. It doesn't work. 8.5 yards per carry would have evened out over the course of a full season, but he doesn't play full seasons. He's 34, coming off an injury (again). It's a terrible signing.

Again. There is no limited role. It doesn't work. 8.5 yards per carry would have evened out over the course of a full season, but he doesn't play full seasons. He's 34, coming off an injury (again). It's a terrible signing.

Is he better than Matt Simms?  

There is a limited role because Geno Smith will be the starter.  Vick will be his backup, so he will only have to play if Geno gets hurt or in limited sub-packages like the wildcat.  In which case running for 8.5 yards per carry is a very good thing.

I get that what he did was terrible, as a owner of two dogs I could never even imagine that thought process. But at some point there has to be some acknowledgment that he has changed and regrets what he did. Yes it was because he got caught that he changed, and if he didn't he may still be doing it today. But life is all about the mistakes we make and learning from them. I was willing and have forgiven vick for his actions. He paid his time and has been an upstanding citizen since his release from prison. From all accounts he has been a grest teammate and leader. I get that there will be some people who will never get over what he did but that has nothing to do with why Idzik and the jets brought him in.

A lot of us have been complaining that we haven't signed free agents, but I believe other than vontae davis it has been on purpose. Idzik sees what he wants for this team and is not willing to bend. He is either looking to sign young guys who can be part of the future or hold the fort type guys who can be solid while his draft picks develop. Vick falls into the latter. He hopes that he can help tutor geno's development and make geno better thru competition. If geno folds he's not our guy, if he rises up he's our guy. Brady rose up due to bledsoe's injury, it's time for us to have a qb to step up and be the guy. Vick might bring that out in geno or he might not. If he doesn't we know he's not our guy and draft another qb.

For me from a football sense this move makes sense, and frankly thats all I care about. If vick helps our team win games I'm all for it. I've moved on from his dog fighting days ans I wish everyone else will, but I know thats not realistic, as some people will always hate him no matter what he does for it. But I look at it from the jets point of view and I like it

Didn't cherry pick the teams.  Just gave you all the teams that we are in direct competition with.  If you won't except that sample guess you'll have to wait till Vick starts.  Not to worry though Vick will be injured by mid November.

We were talking about the NFL. So please keep going. There are 28 more teams.

New York Jets         @nyjets Follow

Marty Mornhinweg on Vick: "He's here in a role where he’s going to compete and push Geno Smith to become the very best that he can be."

Yeahaaaa. Eugene will become the best he can be......a 2nd string QB which wont be on the Jets in the near future.

I dunno. Marcus Marriota looks legit.  Some people like Jameis Winston, (he's not for me). Brett Hundley might be the real deal, and Mannion put up some monster stats despite having the slowest release in the history of the game. 

We will win 6-10 games next year. No way will we be in position to draft a top rated qb.  And the depth at the qb position this year is just crazy.

Don't think its going to be nearly as deep next year. 

We will win 6-10 games next year. No way will we be in position to draft a top rated qb. And the depth at the qb position this year is just crazy.

Don't think its going to be nearly as deep next year.

The top four QBs in next year's draft would be the top four QBs in this year's draft. Next year, you'd be able to get Bridgewater and Bortles in the second round.

In most cases I think the football guys know more than us fans, even the not so good football guys.

In cases like this, and Tebow, I think the fans know more. This move makes zero football sense, and less human sense. The nonsense about Vick being reformed is ludicrous. The sickness that he engaged in is not reformable.

I get that what he did was terrible, as a owner of two dogs I could never even imagine that thought process. But at some point there has to be some acknowledgment that he has changed and regrets what he did. Yes it was because he got caught that he changed, and if he didn't he may still be doing it today. But life is all about the mistakes we make and learning from them. I was willing and have forgiven vick for his actions. He paid his time and has been an upstanding citizen since his release from prison. From all accounts he has been a grest teammate and leader. I get that there will be some people who will never get over what he did but that has nothing to do with why Idzik and the jets brought him in.

A lot of us have been complaining that we haven't signed free agents, but I believe other than vontae davis it has been on purpose. Idzik sees what he wants for this team and is not willing to bend. He is either looking to sign young guys who can be part of the future or hold the fort type guys who can be solid while his draft picks develop. Vick falls into the latter. He hopes that he can help tutor geno's development and make geno better thru competition. If geno folds he's not our guy, if he rises up he's our guy. Brady rose up due to bledsoe's injury, it's time for us to have a qb to step up and be the guy. Vick might bring that out in geno or he might not. If he doesn't we know he's not our guy and draft another qb.

For me from a football sense this move makes sense, and frankly thats all I care about. If vick helps our team win games I'm all for it. I've moved on from his dog fighting days ans I wish everyone else will, but I know thats not realistic, as some people will always hate him no matter what he does for it. But I look at it from the jets point of view and I like it

if it were only dog fighting i would be more willing to agree with this line of thought. while dog fighting is still vile, its what vick did to the dogs that were either poor fighters or didnt appear aggressive enough. i got alot of it out last night so i'm not gonna continue to make over the top statements on max's site. i'm not happy and i will be rooting for geno to be our starting qb

I haven't read any of this thread yet but my first comment on this signing is this: At least we have a GM who understands that you have to have a viable backup QB and backup QB PLAN. For some reason Tannenbaum seemed to think that it was best to pay a million bucks a year to essentially a player/coach. Mark Brunell, David Garrard were never going to be able to be depended upon had Sanchez gotten injured.(The only time I ever WISHED for usual Jets luck at that position)

Mike Vick had some great games with Marty as his OC...who knows maybe he'll be able to help us win some games this year. And hey, with Rex's refusal to drop that stupid Wildcat crap from the offense, is there a better player to have on your team to run it? Good signing, I wonder if he'll be wearing Eddie Bell and Kenny O'Brien's old number....

We were talking about the NFL. So please keep going. There are 28 more teams.

O K just because this is a silly point I'll play.  4 more teams

NFC East

Dallas....Kyle Orton   $3,250,000

Giants....Curtis Painter  $730,000

Eagles..... Matt Barkley   $500,000

Washington....Kirk Cousins  $500,000

Are you sure about that?

Bills------Thaddlus Lewis  $645,000

Pats-------Ryan Mallett-------$776,000

Fish-------Matt Moore  4 mil

Jets------Geno Smith 2014: $633,164 - guaranteed for skill/injury/cap

So 'OUR' Backup QB is making LESS than every other B/U in the division

Jets------Geno Smith 2014: $633,164 - guaranteed for skill/injury/cap

So 'OUR' Backup QB is making LESS than every other B/U in the division

Yep

That's my point.  When we look around the league I'm sure we will find a few situations where the back up makes more money then the starter, those situations are mostly that the back up is a failed one time starter, who is playing out his contract.

I can't think of even one situation where a team brings in a clear back up, and pays him  8 times what the intended starter is making.

IMO the Jets are hoping Smith can win the starting job, but have Vick penciled in as the starter.  At least for this season 

Yep

That's my point.  When we look around the league I'm sure we will find a few situations where the back up makes more money then the starter, those situations are mostly that the back up is a failed one time starter, who is playing out his contract.

I can't think of even one situation where a team brings in a clear back up, and pays him  8 times what the intended starter is making.

IMO the Jets are hoping Smith can win the starting job, but have Vick penciled in as the starter.  At least for this season 

And I don't get all of the hate for Vick (no, I do) -the guy effed up, paid his debt to society and now he has to answer to his God about what he did with the dogs and all, but that chapter of his life is over. Now it's time to move on. We Jets fans have watched this team try every route.

We tried the Legend in Favre,

We tried the Golden Boy in Sanchez,

We tried the Saint in Tebow,

Now we will try the Sinner in Vick...

Mike Vick is clearly a better QB than Geno Smith and even if Smith remains the starter we all know that we're going to be seeing a LOT of Vick with that stupid Wildcat offense because somebody must have forgotten to inform Rex Ryan that it's not 2007 anymore and it really hasn't worked since Brad Smith scored on The Bengals in that playoff game

Oh well, if you're going to still run that crap, you might just as well run it with the one guy in the NFL best suited to run it-and we now have that guy.

And I don't get all of the hate for Vick (no, I do) -the guy effed up, paid his debt to society and now he has to answer to his God about what he did with the dogs and all, but that chapter of his life is over. Now it's time to move on. We Jets fans have watched this team try every route.

We tried the Legend in Favre,

We tried the Golden Boy in Sanchez,

We tried the Saint in Tebow,

Now we will try the Sinner in Vick...

Mike Vick is clearly a better QB than Geno Smith and even if Smith remains the starter we all know that we're going to be seeing a LOT of Vick with that stupid Wildcat offense because somebody must have forgotten to inform Rex Ryan that it's not 2007 anymore and it really hasn't worked since Brad Smith scored on The Bengals in that playoff game

Oh well, if you're going to still run that crap, you might just as well run it with the one guy in the NFL best suited to run it-and we now have that guy.

LOL..Hopefully reformed sinner.

I agree, this is mostly what we got.  We're Jets fans, we can deal with it

Archived