The official "i wont root for the jets as long as vick is on the team" thread (merged)

ECURB

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the more interesting posts made in all this hysteria was made by Greenseed 4

"Geno wore #12 in college

Vick wore #7 at VT (and the Falcons, and the Eagles)

By default it is customary for the current holder of the number to decide whether or not to "sell" his number to the new-comer.  Joe Namath wore the #12, and it has been retired, so out of respect for Mike Vick, Geno chose the #7.  Whether or not he releases the number to the man who encouraged him to wear it will come down to them. "

I'm reading a lot of posters saying that now they are going to root for Smith all the more to beat out the POS Vick.  Some are hoping that Vick suffers a devastating injury so Smith can start. 

Smith chose #7 because he admires Mike Vick.  Vick is probably his hero.  He chose #7 after Vick had been to prison for dog fighting .

Doesn't anyone find it just a tad hypocritical to be rooting for Smith in view of who his role model is?  Just wondering

No.

When Geno Smith does what Vick does then it becomes hypocritical.  

There are people here who have no problem with Vick.  Am I a hypocrite if I fail to despise these posters who are most likely all good people?

Weak.

I don't root for him either, if it makes it any better.

I find the Big Ben thing odd, he's the first go-to in order to point out some sort of fallacious strawman hypocrisy. They are both horrible people and would prefer not having them on my favorite team. It's actually a pretty horrific conversation to even be having when you think about it.

No.

When Geno Smith does what Vick does then it becomes hypocritical.  

There are people here who have no problem with Vick.  Am I a hypocrite if I fail to despise these posters who are most likely all good people?

Weak.

Got to disagree.

This is his hero

Got to disagree.

This is his hero

Doubtful it was because of his inhumane torture of defenseless beings.  So because a young person has or had what is (in my opinion) a misguided admiration, that is the same as Geno Smith being a dog killer and torturer himself? I sense this is not the first, nor will it be the last, foolish thing that Geno Smith has said or thought.  But their shortcomings are not the same thing in any rational sense.

One of them is a disgusting criminal.  The other is not.

Vick is really good when healthy. He could never stay healthy. If the NFL had an 8 game schedule he would have won 4 rings by now. Point is maybe he will stay in the pocket more here. He has never had a power running game or a defense like the Jets have.

nope hes not really good ...a good assessment is very inconsistent

Doubtful it was because of his inhumane torture of defenseless beings.  So because a young person has or had what is (in my opinion) a misguided admiration, that is the same as Geno Smith being a dog killer and torturer himself? I sense this is not the first, nor will it be the last, foolish thing that Geno Smith has said or thought.  But their shortcomings are not the same thing in any rational sense.

One of them is a disgusting criminal.  The other is not.

90% of the posts since the Vick signing has been announced have been about moral judgments one way or the other.   If a person identifies himself with a person that has committed outrageous anti social behavior, and by taking Vick's # that's what Smith has done , it is only natural he is going to be associated with that behavior.

Your clearly emotionally affected   by the outrageous actions Vick has committed in the past, so I'll just take it as we disagee  

Because Michael Vick is the first bad person to play for the Jets. GTFO.

He is a bad person, who made bad mistakes and paid for it dearly. Get over it.

GOATS GOTTA GOAT

The only thing Michael Vick is sorry about is the fact he got caught.

Not the time or place but I'd love to hear you expand on this line of thinking, which is mind boggling.

pretty self explanatory, you dont have to agree with my line of thinking...its an opinion.

90% of the posts since the Vick signing has been announced have been about moral judgments one way or the other.   If a person identifies himself with a person that has committed outrageous anti social behavior, and by taking Vick's # that's what Smith has done , it is only natural he is going to be associated with that behavior.

Your clearly emotionally affected   by the outrageous actions Vick has committed in the past, so I'll just take it as we disagee  

I disagree with your premise, which is tantamount to saying a young, impressionable, misguided fan of a criminal is no better than the criminal.  Or put another way, a fan who buys a Vick or Roetlisberger jersey is no better morally than those players.  This would mean that buying a Vick jersey means you deserve to go to jail.

The whole line of thought makes no sense to me.  One act is a vicious crime, the other is not a crime at all; it's mere foolishness at worst.

i'm not gonna abandon the jets because i love football and i cant root for a differetn team. i will, however, be rooting daily for a career ending injury to vick.

Then you're as bad as you believe Michael Vick is as a person. 

i'm also glad hitler is dead and hope he died a painful miserable death and is now rotting in hell. does that make me as bad a person as hitler was?

Wanting injury for a person who has paid for the deeds of his crime and is now a legally accepted member of our society, yea...you're just as bad.

I disagree with your premise, which is tantamount to saying a young, impressionable, misguided fan of a criminal is no better than the criminal.  Or put another way, a fan who buys a Vick or Roetlisberger jersey is no better morally than those players.  This would mean that buying a Vick jersey means you deserve to go to jail.

The whole line of thought makes no sense to me.  One act is a vicious crime, the other is not a crime at all; it's mere foolishness at worst.

The point of the post was not that Smith is a criminal, and should be put in jail, I never said that,  but rather it reflects on his moral view of what Vick had done.  As i said 90% of these posts are  about  moral judgments.   Mostly powered by geographic and ethnic background.

When Smith was first involved in this the sheriff of his county said "if I arrest him, I will have to arrest 60% of the people in my county"  The local people weren't out raged.  The feds singled him out, and  stepped in with a  task force.

Dog fighting is very common in the south.  

Young or not, it does indicate what Smith feels the severity and moral out rage of Vick's crime is.  At the time of the crime Vick wasn't much older then Smith is now

reading comprehension problems?

sorry you're the one who went off the deep end w/ the Hitler analogy - not going to go there. 

You stated that you wished harm to befall to another human who made mistake, legally paid for it and is now a member of our society. 

I don't agree with that and think that you fall into the same category that you place Vick into.

FWIW - I don't think this is a good FOOTBALL move.  Didn't want Vick here due to the Tebow-like sideshow that would follow - and your posts pretty much prove my point 

The point of the post was not that Smith is a criminal, and should be put in jail, I never said that,  but rather it reflects on his moral view of what Vick had done.  As i said 90% of these posts are  about  moral judgments.   Mostly powered by geographic and ethnic background.

When Smith was first involved in this the sheriff of his county said "if I arrest him, I will have to arrest 60% of the people in my county"  The local people weren't out raged.  The feds singled him out, and  stepped in with a  task force.

Dog fighting is very common in the south.  

Young or not, it does indicate what Smith feels the severity and moral out rage of Vick's crime is.  At the time of the crime Vick wasn't much older then Smith is now

The gist of your post was that rooting for one is the same as rooting for the other.  That if I root on Smith during a game it's the same as rooting for Vick.  I disagree with this premise and line of thought.

And if 60% of the people in their county were electrocuting dogs for pleasure, I have no better opinion of them than of Vick.  Being common makes it no better.  The day I find out that Geno Smith has the same past that will extend to him as well.  If I found out that Rex electrocutes puppies because he feels electrified puppy paws are a delicacy, same thing.

Whatever the reasons Geno has for looking up to Vick, I haven't heard him say that torturing canines was one of Vick's most admirable traits that he hopes to someday do himself.

sorry you're the one who went off the deep end w/ the Hitler analogy - not going to go there. 

You stated that you wished harm to befall to another human who made mistake, legally paid for it and is now a member of our society. 

I don't agree with that and think that you fall into the same category that you place Vick into.

FWIW - I don't think this is a good FOOTBALL move.  Didn't want Vick here due to the Tebow-like sideshow that would follow - and your posts pretty much prove my point 

but its the same thing....ur saying if i wish harm to or am happy that harm falls upon a human being who has made mistakes that i am just as bad. while i agree that killing millions odf people is alor worse than killing hundreds of dogs its still the same issue. i am wishing harm to a person who made mistakes. hitler paid for his crimes with his life...the ultimate penalty.

what about a child molester who only did it once and went to jail and is out and back in society? am i wrong to want him dead?

i think not. you are entitled to your opinion.....but for you to say i am just as bad as vick is stupid.....and honestly i really dont give a rats ass what you think of me anyway

Archived