The official "i wont root for the jets as long as vick is on the team" thread (merged)

ECURB

The gist of your post was that rooting for one is the same as rooting for the other.  That if I root on Smith during a game it's the same as rooting for Vick.  I disagree with this premise and line of thought.

And if 60% of the people in their county were electrocuting dogs for pleasure, I have no better opinion of them than of Vick.  Being common makes it no better.  The day I find out that Geno Smith has the same past that will extend to him as well.  If I found out that Rex electrocutes puppies because he feels electrified puppy paws are a delicacy, same thing.

Whatever the reasons Geno has for looking up to Vick, I haven't heard him say that torturing canines was one of Vick's most admirable traits that he hopes to someday do himself.

Never said that.  That is how you chose to interpret what I  said.  As I've tried to explain, it was more a comment as to how posters were reacting to a crime Vick was imprisoned for, and wishing that he receive a devastating injury, where in all likelihood, the person they were rooting for doesn't find the crime to be all the horrific.

Vick is from Virginia, Smith is from West Virginia.   I hear posters on here refer to players who get busted for pot as "drug addicts.

It's about moral judgments.   

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry you're the one who went off the deep end w/ the Hitler analogy - not going to go there. 

You stated that you wished harm to befall to another human who made mistake, legally paid for it and is now a member of our society. 

I don't agree with that and think that you fall into the same category that you place Vick into.

FWIW - I don't think this is a good FOOTBALL move.  Didn't want Vick here due to the Tebow-like sideshow that would follow - and your posts pretty much prove my point 

Just because somebody "pays their debt to society" it doesn't mean they're now a good person.  Dude is evil.  Sadly, most won't see him that way until commits the ultimate sin...losing football games.

Just because somebody "pays their debt to society" it doesn't mean they're now a good person.  Dude is evil.  Sadly, most won't see him that way until commits the ultimate sin...losing football games.

unfortunately thats the truth for alot of the fans. in the end he wont be reviled and hated for being a scum dog murderer. he'll be hated because he lost football games.

i dont care. the things he did were bad enough that i can never root for him to succeed. if he winds up being the jets tarter i will root for injury. if no injury i will root for him to suck badly enough to get benched and cut. i want us to lose every game he plays in

If you've been rooting for the Jets to win all these years then that should tell you how well your rooting for a Vick injury will work out for you.  You should root for him to win a ring. THAT might actually get you somewhere.  :sign0151:

I honestly don't want the Jets to win a superbowl with Vick.

Oh man. The luck of the Jets fan. Wait 40+ years for a Superbowl and have Mike Vick the face of the franchise when they finally get there.  He killed them for sport and for fun and sometimes for no reason at all. And he did it in the most wicked, gruesome ways imaginable.  I cant root for this team.  Because they CHOSE to sign him.  They decided to write him a contract and employ him for millions. So disgusted.

and dont forget folks, IF Vick has to  play due to in game injury, Vick knows Martys WHOLE playbook 100%, In other words, he knows it better than Geno probably. HUGE plus for a QB coming in mid-game. You can keep whole game plan

Get over it!

It's not really something people should have to get over. People are allowed to root for the Jets for the reasons they want to root for them. It's a business decision that the Jets are making and if signing Vick completely makes it impossible to root for certain fans to root for them than they can tell that to the Jets by not buying merchandise, tickets, or watching games and saying that the reason is Vick. I doubt a petition will do jack sh*t, but if there's a significant dip in those things this season because enough fans care, than that might actually do something in getting the message across.

On a football level, I think if Vick didn't have all the off-the-field baggage he'd be fine as a backup for the price and length of contract. It's confusing to me why they did this one-year deal since it contradicts any sort of thought in terms of a long-term approach. Either Woody just wants a flash to drive media conversation and fans to the stadium or Rex wants another stupid Wildcat QB.

Sorry, but I cannot cheer for a team that has a someone who has strangled a dog with his own two hands.

I cannot compromise my morals and cannot be a Jets fan anymore.

I feel sorry for all the Jet fans who will have to live through another circus ( it is happening already on this board and on facebook), the inevitable protests, the cancelled Jet events due to death threats, and your own non-Jet fan friends who are probably laughing at you.

Very sad day for the Jets. Izdik is poison

Morality when it comes to Vick, would cheer for Big Ben if he were a Jet.

http://www.edblock.org/content/michael-vick

Michael Vick

2009 Ed Block Courage Award Recipient from the Philadelphia Eagles Michael Vick has been working with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Humane Society of the United States to promote awareness of the evils and dangers associated with dog fighting.  As someone who paid a large debt for his role in this lifestyle he is uniquely equipped to educate at risk youths as to their perils.  Please see the links below for a description of Michael's work with the Humane Society along with their Campaign to fight animal cruelty.  There is also a link below to the Philadelphia Eagles initiative, Treating Animals With Kindness (TAWK), a community outreach initiative that focuses on public education and awareness to reduce the abuse of animals, promote responsible adoption, encourages spaying and neutering and putting an end to dog fighting.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/dogfighting/qa/vick_faq.html

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/campaigns/cruelty_fighting/

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/community/eaglestawk.asp

Quotes From Coach Andy Reid and Quaterback Donovan McNabb on Michael Vick's Selection as the Courage Award Recipient (Associated Press):

Eagles Head Coach Andy Reid:

Give coach Andy Reid credit though for going to bat for his player. Saying that the vote was unanimous, Reid said, “I’m not sure you can explain it unless you’ve gone through it with him. Everybody is going to have their opinion on it, I’m sure. But unless you’ve been with him for the hours his teammates have been with him and seen him go through all these different things he’s had to go through, that time-tested part of it, you can’t appreciate it quite as much.

“I don’t expect everybody to understand it, no. But it’s a tribute when it’s a slam dunk (vote) by his teammates. It was a unanimous vote there. (The award) isn’t something that we as coaches or Rick (Burkholder) as the trainer promotes. You don’t promote a player to win the award. It’s picked by the players and only by the players.”

"Congratulations to him for straightening his life around and bettering himself as a human being," coach Andy Reid said. "He's obviously very well-respected by his teammates."

Quarterback Donovan McNabb:

Quarterback Donovan McNabb called the award "well-deserved."

and dont forget folks, IF Vick has to  play due to in game injury, Vick knows Martys WHOLE playbook 100%, In other words, he knows it better than Geno probably. HUGE plus for a QB coming in mid-game. You can keep whole game plan

Marty told a friend of mine (off the record) that what you described above was a huge issue last year.  Not just because of Geno, but the whole offense was limited since they had everyone learning it in year one.

It's not really something people should have to get over. People are allowed to root for the Jets for the reasons they want to root for them. It's a business decision that the Jets are making and if signing Vick completely makes it impossible to root for certain fans to root for them than they can tell that to the Jets by not buying merchandise, tickets, or watching games and saying that the reason is Vick. I doubt a petition will do jack sh*t, but if there's a significant dip in those things this season because enough fans care, than that might actually do something in getting the message across.

On a football level, I think if Vick didn't have all the off-the-field baggage he'd be fine as a backup for the price and length of contract. It's confusing to me why they did this one-year deal since it contradicts any sort of thought in terms of a long-term approach. Either Woody just wants a flash to drive media conversation and fans to the stadium or Rex wants another stupid Wildcat QB.

I think it's pathetic to judge Vick and then make these comments about wishing harm on him. These people doing that look worst then Vick.

The man killed dogs, wtf!

It's rapist & murders in the league and I don't hear sh*t about them.

I just want a damn safety & receiver.

See you when Vick is gone.

Signed a washed up scumbag, screw this team.

The New York Jets have signed Michael Vick. Don't let this happen quietly. Look your dog in the eyes tonight and imagine Mike Vick strangling him, strangling her, electrocuting your dog.https://www.facebook.com/getridofvicknow - Share this page!

Well at least you have that great investment you made in PSLs.  So that will make not rooting for the team a lot easier.  :)

this is what mike vick did......

"As that dog lay on the ground fighting for air, Quanis Phillips grabbed its front legs and Michael Vick grabbed its hind legs. They swung the dog over their head like a jump rope then slammed it to the ground. The first impact didn't kill it. So Phillips and Vick slammed it again. The two men kept at it, alternating back and forth, pounding the creature against the ground, until at last, the little red dog was dead".

sorry thats not just a mistake....that purely fucking evil

It is terrible.  Beyond terrible.  But he went to jail for it.  He lost a lot of money as a result.

People are saying that Vick shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL, but that makes no sense.  I get that people wanted to Jets to not sign him, that I understand.  But the people that are saying Vick should somehow not be allowed to play, if there are teams that want to sign him that just doesn't add up for me.

The NFL is filled with guys who have done terrible things unfortunately.  It doesn't make any of their actions right.  My hope is that Vick learned from this and does some good with his life (outside of football).  I don't know enough about him to know if this is the case or not.  But hopefully it turns out to be the case....

I can forgive him, but I can't forget. To me, there's a difference between saying someone deserves a "second chance" (he does deserve one) and being able to root for that person. I can't ever root for him. I don't know what the hell I'll do if he ends up the starter, it's going to be very tough to watch. I'm just... beyond irritated with Idzik at this point. To have such an awful off-season is only compounded by losing Revis to the Pats and signing Vick. These are among the worst of all possible results. The Jets have put us all through a lot of heartache throughout the years, and it's times like this that I don't think they understand or care about that at all.

The worst case scenario is that the backup QB was just changed from Matt Simms to Michael Vick. That is an upgrade.

Upgrade in talent, downgrade in number of people who care about this team. Count me out for '14.

Shame too. I was pretty excited about the direction we were headed before this.

It is terrible. Beyond terrible. But he went to jail for it. He lost a lot of money as a result.

People are saying that Vick shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL, but that makes no sense. I get that people wanted to Jets to not sign him, that I understand. But the people that are saying Vick should somehow not be allowed to play, if there are teams that want to sign him that just doesn't add up for me.

The NFL is filled with guys who have done terrible things unfortunately. It doesn't make any of their actions right. My hope is that Vick learned from this and does some good with his life (outside of football). I don't know enough about him to know if this is the case or not. But hopefully it turns out to be the case....

For me, prison isn't about rehabilitation. Prison is for punishment. I don't care if he's tried to atone for what he did. He still did it, then was handed a $100M contract and forgiven by most of America.

But I don't have to forgive or forget. Anyone who did what he did is less than human. F*** Michael Vick.

Upgrade in talent, downgrade in number of people who care about this team. Count me out for '14.

Shame too. I was pretty excited about the direction we were headed before this.

The Jets care about two things (not necessarily in this order):

1.  Putting together the most talented team possible

2.  Selling as many seats as possible

The Jets ticket sales will not go down because of this signing.  Jersey sales will actually go up.  They weren't selling any more #6 jerseys.  Matt Simms isn't selling anything.  So the net here is:

• Increased merchandise sales
  • No negative impact on ticket sales
  • Roster was upgraded talent wise

You mean in practice? Because that's the only time he will be playing.

Damn people getting way bent outta shape over a backup.

I am writing an editorial that I will publish tomorrow and this is my exact point.  Michael Vick is the backup QB of the NY Jets.  Read his quotes from his press conference, he basically said he is here to push Geno and make him the best he can be.  Sounds like the job of the backup QB to me.

Archived