The official "i wont root for the jets as long as vick is on the team" thread (merged)

ECURB

This is all true. While I don't agree that the Giants are necessarily committed to bringing in Boy Scouts, they do obsessively cultivate a professional image, from the owner on down. The Jets sort of revel in looking like counter-culture roughnecks, which is only amusing when they win.

LOL

Actually that formula worked for them a long time ago.  Sample, one of the dirtiest players in the league. The Richie Incognito lite of his day.  Sauer, a guy who really didn't love football much, Namath, a drunken, loud mouthed, smart ass, that every one that wasn't a Jets fan hated.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been very interesting reading and thinking about this issue.

The hatred and loathing being levied (especially at JI) against those who have an ethical objection to Vick has been...illuminating.

There appears to be a deeply held belief out there amongst the majority that our NFL Fandom must be absolute, unquestioning, and utterly untestable, or else you are not a "real fan".

The idea that your team, or a player, may impose upon you, the fan/consumer, an ethical issue that might come before/above your fandom seems to be a foreign, and itself objectionable, concept to many fans, who are more apt to just destory (verbally) the fellow fans rather than try to understand them.

Folks who know me, know my wife, know that I am simply incappable of rooting for Mike Vick.  And I'd be incappable of rooting for the Jets if Mike Vick was their QB.  The fact he was puniched (by the State) and has engaged in good PR since then, is irrelevant.  I'm not the State, I'm an individual, and like all individuals I judge the things I support according to my ethical code, not anyone elses.

Clearly this is a personal, ethical, issue.  I don't see it as something that reduced or reduces my love of the team, or diminishes my past dedication to that team the past 30 years, or future dedication once Vick is gone.  I don't expect other fans who do not share this ethical viewpoint to agree, nor will/do I look down upon them because they can still root for Vick and the Jets, or ignore Vick, and root for the Jets.  Ethics are at their core a personal thing, unique in many ways to each individual.

Put in it's simplest terms, the NFL is an entertainment product, a hobby, a passtime, a passionate one, but a passtime nonetheless.  Something we fans partake of because we enjoy it, we get something good out of it, it fills a need in our lives. 

But at the end of the day, it's still something that is supposed to be fun.  Vick, for me and my wife, takes that fun away.

I appreciate this is a small minority viewpoint, and accept that fact.  Whats harder to accept is the hatred being levied against those who share my view for putting personal ethics ahead of a hobby.  That part is dissapointing as hell, actually, even if unsuprising.

Thats the world we live in I suppose. 

I simply cannot root for someone who could do what Vick did.  And I cannot root for the laundry when Vick is the guy wearing it.

I am not a "christian", so I am not required by faith to "forgive" him.

I am a partaker of entertainment, a consumer, who feels he cannot partake of this form of entertainment while Vick is a member of the team he loves. 

It's not an easy position to take (it's especially enjoyable being told after 30 years and untold dollars and time spent that I'm "not a real fan") nor is it one taken with ANY form of happiness. 

It sucks, frankly, to be in this spot.  Sucks hard.  I don't ******* like it.

But the idea being esposued by many that ethics and deeply held personal beliefs must e shoved to the back because it's the Jets, as if NFL Football was somehow more important that an individuals most deeply held beliefs.....well, I just don't agree with that idea.

I would never say "I'm giving up the Jets forever".  Or say that I want Vick to be hurt.  Or the Jets to lose.  Or that I'd sell all my Jets gear.  Thats all just too much.

But I can say that my personal ethics come first in my personal choice in life, and that I would not partake or support the team while Vick is on it.  The day he's gone, I'm back to partaking and supporting again.

I'd love to think that other fans could appreciate such a thing, but I know most can't.  Whats great is, it doesn't really matter what people on the internet think about me. 

-Fish

I think Vick is injury prone and was never a accurate passer- I did not like bringing him for those reasons- that being said he did serve jail time for what he did-I like to think not that anyone shouild agree that  a person would deserve another chance in life instead of just throwing them away to rot

There were and still are better choices for back-up QB's. If Vick meant any part of his comment on pushing Geno and helping him to be a better QB  - I'm up for giving him a chance to prove that. 

But it's going to be hard to root for him. We'll see if that changes. 

I have been a Jets fan since 1965. A lot of bad years, but something about the last two years has really pissed me off. Maybe it was the ridiculous continual trading up to make horrendous draft picks, sacrificing depth at the same time. Maybe I just got tired of Rex's act on a losing team. But for the first time in all of those years, I actually purposely missed watching games. I even lost interest in football altogether. I hardly watched any other games. The last super bowl certainly did not reflame my passion. I bought a 1965 Ford Falcon and rebuilt the 289 engine. Spent more time with my family. Rescued a couple of kittens. I hired a martial arts instructor to give me one on one personal training. It was not so bad.

And then I hear they signed Vick. Really? You have to be kidding me. He is over the hill, injury prone, and most importantly, a despicable human being. Why don't they sign Jim Brown? He is really over the hill, but at least he is a man. I am beyond disgusted.

I will always be a Jets fan. But I am running out of time to see that second super bowl win that as a teenager in 1969, I thought would have happened a long time ago.

Good luck to all of you guys and gals who can bear to watch this circus. You are true football fanatics. And there is nothing wrong with that. I have found better things to do. For now ...

Amazing isn't it Dennis. This owner and his never-ending string of bad decisions has actually driven guys like me and you away from not only the team but the GAME OF FOOTBALL ALTOGETHER! Basketball I stopped watching after Jordan retired and the Knicks turned into crap, baseball, they lost me right around the time that that bloop single went up the middle and beat the Yanks in the World Series in 2001-and then the Red Sox started winning and that did it. Now football.

I just figured that I am running out of Sunday afternoons in my life and it's just not fair to me, and to my family to have to be depressed all day and part of the next because of a stupid fricking game played by kids and run by idiots and blowhards. I, like you, have better things to do and better ways to spend a beautiful fall Sunday afternoon. As for the Super Bowls, the last one i think I watched was the one the Giants beat NE the 1st time. this last one, I turned it off in the 1st quarter.

Justifying Vick will be Pac's greatest achievement. Reading his posts is like studying sketches for Guernica.

I don't know man.. It's a stretch to say the end justifies the means but I have to believe what happened to him actually wound up saving dogs. as twisted as that may sound.

Swish.

I've seen a lot of this today, but what if Vick starts, the Jets get out to a 4-1 start, and Vick has a 95 QB rating? Will you guys still stay away?

Yes, I cannot tell my son that it is ok to cheer for someone who strangled dogs with his own two hands.  I refuse to send a poor message to our children of our society.

I cannot tell my son that I forgive Vick because he deserves a second chance because he served his time.  If I was caught doing what he did, I would have to change professions.  If a player with lesser talent did this, no one would sign him.  Teams that compromise their morals only sign someone like him for one reason, he can run and throw touchdowns well, and this is a sad for society

Yes, I cannot tell my son that it is ok to cheer for someone who strangled dogs with his own two hands. I refuse to send a poor message to our children of our society.

I cannot tell my son that I forgive Vick because he deserves a second chance because he served his time. If I was caught doing what he did, I would have to change professions. If a player with lesser talent did this, no one would sign him. Teams that compromise their morals only sign someone like him for one reason, he can run and throw touchdowns well, and this is a sad for society

You don't have to tell your son he strangled dogs with his hands or burned them alive cause neither happened. I googled around trying to find evidence of that and came up empty.

What he did was terrible enough... No need to embelish.

You don't have to tell your son he strangled dogs with his hands or burned them alive cause neither happened. I googled around trying to find evidence of that and came up empty.

What he did was terrible enough... No need to embelish.

Sorry, my friend, I am very sad to say, it is true.  Here is the government report:

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/BadNewzKennels.pdf

"The report shows that after failing an FBI polygraph test in October 2007 the former Atlanta Falcon quarterback recanted his denial and admitted taking part in the hanging of dogs from a nylon cord nailed to a tree and drowning others in a five gallon bucket of water.

Twice Vick put family pets into the fighting ring with pit bulls because he “thought it was funny to watch the pit bulls. . . injure or kill the other dogs.” Vick also admitted watching his friends hang, shoot and electrocute pit bulls."

Sorry, my friend, I am very sad to say, it is true. Here is the government report:

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/BadNewzKennels.pdf

"The report shows that after failing an FBI polygraph test in October 2007 the former Atlanta Falcon quarterback recanted his denial and admitted taking part in the hanging of dogs from a nylon cord nailed to a tree and drowning others in a five gallon bucket of water.

Twice Vick put family pets into the fighting ring with pit bulls because he “thought it was funny to watch the pit bulls. . . injure or kill the other dogs.” Vick also admitted watching his friends hang, shoot and electrocute pit bulls."

Again...saying he strangled dogs with his hand implies he squeezed their necks and watched face to face as they died. Hanging them is horrific yes but not quite as evil as the former. And it doesn't day he set them ablaze.

Just state the facts and let people decide. There's plenty of reasons to hate him without trying to completely demonize him.

Again...saying he strangled dogs with his hand implies he squeezed their necks and watched face to face as they died. Hanging them is horrific yes but not quite as evil as the former. And it doesn't day he set them ablaze.

Just state the facts and let people decide. There's plenty of reasons to hate him without trying to completely demonize him.

LOL ok, he used his hands and tied a nylon cord around the dogs neck, tied it to a tree, and then watched the dog's face as it died ( I highly doubt he was getting sick to his stomach and had to turn his face around).

I guess that is a whole lot better.

hahahahahahha... gold

Vick was the best backup QB on the market....no issues with this signing. Great move by Idzik imo....dude is killing it.

I agree 100%.  It's frickin' hilarious watching all the drama queens get their panties in a bunch.  

Again...saying he strangled dogs with his hand implies he squeezed their necks and watched face to face as they died. Hanging them is horrific yes but not quite as evil as the former. .

PAC on Osama Bin Laden, had the Jets signed him at QB... "it's not like he was piloting the planes"

I love my dog. She's my baby. But people here need to get off their soapboxes and look at themselves and ask how many mulligans they've been given in their own lives.

I highly doubt anyone on this board has done something as bad as what he did.  What Vick did was one hell of a mulligan.

If I was caught doing what Vick did, I would have to change professions.  certain professions should not have violent felony offenders, just like mine, especially one where there are children cheering and looking up to these players

Archived