The official "i wont root for the jets as long as vick is on the team" thread (merged)

ECURB

Here's a good question to test the indignation of our posters:

If we just signed the best QB in the league in his prime, who also participated in dog fighting and did time like Vick, would you still be showing the same fury over the signing and refusing fandom knowing that the Jets just became perpetual contenders for a SB as long as that QB is on the roster?

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vick is just the icing on the cake for me. Whether he wins the starting job and plays well or not, it seems like another dumb move weighted more towards desperate attention getting by Woody (i.e. - Tebow) versus a sound football move by Idzik. How many guys drafted in the last five years are still on the team and playing well? It is pathetic. Idzik deserves more time before judgement, but last year's draft was hardly the signal of a great new era. Richardson was very good and a no brainer. Milliner was horrible for most of the season, came on towards the end, but still has a lot to prove. Geno Smith? That is why Vick is here. Again, no depth added.

As far as Vick. Mark me down as one of those drama queens that would not want this POS involved in anything I care about. Some things are forgivable. What he did is not. Not to me.

Here's a good question to test the indignation of our posters:

If we just signed the best QB in the league in his prime, who also participated in dog fighting and did time like Vick, would you still be showing the same fury over the signing and refusing fandom knowing that the Jets just became perpetual contenders for a SB as long as that QB is on the roster?

If Vick was the best football player in the history of football.  I would feel the same way.  I unfortunately cannot face my friends and family or myself being a Jets fan with this guy on the team.   For me to do this after 30 years of being an extremely loyal Jets fan, it has nothing to do with winning games.  It has everything to do with me not compromising my morals and ethics

To all the Jet fans that won't watch Jets games or root for us because a dude who did bad things to dogs over 7 years ago, did his time in prison, and has been a model citizen since:

I think the Dolphins can use you right now, their fan base has been dwindling over the past few years. Buffalo can definitely use you, though.

To all the Jet fans that won't watch Jets games or root for us because a dude who did bad things to dogs over 7 years ago, did his time in prison, and has been a model citizen since:

I think the Dolphins can use you right now, their fan base has been dwindling over the past few years. Buffalo can definitely use you, though.

Pretty much. 

If Vick was the best football player in the history of football.  I would feel the same way.  I unfortunately cannot face my friends and family or myself being a Jets fan with this guy on the team.   For me to do this after 30 years of being an extremely loyal Jets fan, it has nothing to do with winning games.  It has everything to do with me not compromising my morals and ethics

Congratulations. You are better at holding a grudge than being a Jet fan. In your own realm of ethical standards you are a rockstar. Your forgiveness needs work though.

I will be a broncos fan, as I live in colorado now. 

Like I have said before, if I had done what he did, I would have to change professions.  There is a good reason for that.  The same should be true of someone who is in the public eye and have children cheering and looking up to these players.

It is very sad I have to leave the jets after over 30 years of loyal following, and also sad that my fellow former fans do not all ban together and show the NFL that money and winning a couple of extra games is not everything

If you want an answer, my morals and ethics are different than yours

What would you do if your child did this crime and served time the courts ordered and as our society dictates. Would your morals/ethics make you not accept him back in family/home after jail served cause of your morals, or would you 'hope he has changed and served his pennance'?

And dont say family different, cause in morals and ethiics it isnt supposed to be. In reality it is, but not in pure ethics/morality. Either you accept son back in home or you compromise morals cause as parent you hope he has 'changed' just as Mrs Vick probably hopes jail 'changed' her son.

Congratulations. You are better at holding a grudge than being a Jet fan. In your own realm of ethical standards you are a rockstar. Your forgiveness needs work though.

it is not a grudge, it is what is good for society, good for our children, and staying true to one's morals.  Staying true to my morals is way more important to me than being a Jets fan.   Even Woody Johnson has said who wins the election is more important to him than the Jets winning football games, and me not wanting to cheer for someone who strangled dogs is worse?

If I cannot have my profession back if I got convicted for a felony, why should Vick, because he can run fast?

I have been a Jets fan since 1965. A lot of bad years, but something about the last two years has really pissed me off. Maybe it was the ridiculous continual trading up to make horrendous draft picks, sacrificing depth at the same time. Maybe I just got tired of Rex's act on a losing team. But for the first time in all of those years, I actually purposely missed watching games. I even lost interest in football altogether. I hardly watched any other games. The last super bowl certainly did not reflame my passion. I bought a 1965 Ford Falcon and rebuilt the 289 engine. Spent more time with my family. Rescued a couple of kittens. I hired a martial arts instructor to give me one on one personal training. It was not so bad.

And then I hear they signed Vick. Really? You have to be kidding me. He is over the hill, injury prone, and most importantly, a despicable human being. Why don't they sign Jim Brown? He is really over the hill, but at least he is a man. I am beyond disgusted.

I will always be a Jets fan. But I am running out of time to see that second super bowl win that as a teenager in 1969, I thought would have happened a long time ago.

Good luck to all of you guys and gals who can bear to watch this circus. You are true football fanatics. And there is nothing wrong with that. I have found better things to do. For now ...

Nice from the heart post Dennis. I knew you weren't enamored with the current regime by your absence here. Your knowledgeable and objective posting is missed. I'm pissed too because I thought Idzik was making good rational decisions after years with Trader Mike's bad contract penchant.

There were much better moves to make here in my book. Solid vet back-ups were available who would have brought zero additional circus while providing good mentoring for Geno and chewing less cap space.

This move coupled with our deplorable CB situation has got me thinking we've reincarnated Mangini and put him in the GM slot - a take the hard line kinda guy who's a fool.

Vick has done some despicable stuff in my book. Can't even bring myself to read the court papers in the other thread again as it would ruin my appetite. I'll give him a chance to see how he operates as a Jet as I'm not in any position to judge anyone - but I see it as a very bad move for my football team.     

Good to see you and hope all else is well.

I will be a broncos fan, as I live in colorado now. 

Like I have said before, if I had done what he did, I would have to change professions.  There is a good reason for that.  The same should be true of someone who is in the public eye and have children cheering and looking up to these players.

It is very sad I have to leave the jets after over 30 years of loyal following, and also sad that my fellow former fans do not all ban together and show the NFL that money and winning a couple of extra games is not everything

So lemme get this straight....In your Book of Judging Public Figures, someone who does wrong then pays his dues should still be punished until he/she dies, and that's how we should teach our children to treat people who aren't as perfect as you?

Oh...got it.

What would you do if your child did this crime and served time the courts ordered and as our society dictates. Would your morals/ethics make you not accept him back in family/home after jail served cause of your morals, or would you 'hope he has changed and served his pennance'?

And dont say family different, cause in moral sand ethiics it isnt supposed to be. In reality it is, but not in pure ethics/morality. Either you accept son back in home or you compromise morals cause as parent you hope he has 'changed' just as Mrs Vick probably hopes jail 'changed' her son.

Luckily that will never happen with my child.  I instill good morals with my children, and it starts with not cheering for a convicted dog strangler.  If I did cheer for Vick,  I really would not be suprised if my children then did the same thing, this is my point.

it is not a grudge, it is what is good for society, good for our children, and staying true to one's morals.  Staying true to my morals is way more important to me than being a Jets fan.   Even Woody Johnson has said who wins the election is more important to him than the Jets winning football games, and me not wanting to cheer for someone who strangled dogs is worse?

If I cannot have my profession back if I got convicted for a felony, why should Vick, because he can run fast?

Woody Johnson is a known idiot, and its debatable among Jets fans if he should even own a football team.

Have fun cheering for Manning in CO, we'll see you on the field this year. It'll be fun.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com

What's taking you so long?

555322240.gif?1333773919

Because I am heart broken that I am losing my team.  It actually hurts, hurts alot. 

I am sorry to bother you all, I am officially done.  No more posts coming from me after this.

Although, don't be suprised if people like me continue to bother you.  A thousand people protested Vick only a month ago.  Less than a year ago, Vick had to cancel his book tour because of death threats to him and the book store.  With these things happening so recent, it will probably happen again, especially in NY/NJ.

So, to the people who are ok with signing Vick, you deserve the future protests at games you will walk by, and the Jet events that you are going to that get cancelled from death threats ( not that I agree with that) and the ridicule from your friends ( that are not Jet fans).  If we all stood against this, it would never have happened.

Because I am heart broken that I am losing my team.  It actually hurts, hurts alot. 

I am sorry to bother you all, I am officially done.  No more posts coming from me after this.

Although, don't be suprised if people like me continue to bother you.  A thousand people protested Vick only a month ago.  Less than a year ago, Vick had to cancel his book tour because of death threats to him and the book store.  With these things happening so recent, it will probably happen again, especially in NY/NJ.

So, to the people who are ok with signing Vick, you deserve the future protests at games you will walk by, and the Jet events that you are going to that get cancelled from death threats ( not that I agree with that) and the ridicule from your friends ( that are not Jet fans).  If we all stood against this, it would never have happene

You so overplayed that Book Tour thing as I told u before (PETA went all over campuses etc getting petition signed, NO masses were swarming , to keep him out,  I live where it happened so I f'in know), so get your head out of your ass and man up and grow a pair,,If not, here:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/forumdisplay.php?5-Broncos-Football

and you didnt answer the 'what if it was your son question' ,,that would show if you are truly a zealous ethicist 

low post count also makes me think troll or banned poster back w/alias

LOL, no make a thread with a Poster Board and thier avatars like in the Post Office with 10 Most Wanted theme :)

Thats actually a great idea....a defector thread...all previous Jet fans that found a new team for one reason or another...just keep a list of them around.

Thats actually a great idea....a defector thread...all previous Jet fans that found a new team for one reason or another...just keep a list of them around.

LOL, I like your idea even better..NY Jets Defectors Most Un-Wanted as Title on top, LOL good one man

Google dog abuse, before you instigate like an ignorant ass hole.

Just started reading this thread, you'd better stop now.

Luckily, those PSL's were a great investment, you'll get your money back plus.

It's been very interesting reading and thinking about this issue.

-Fish

And you are 100% entitled to that opinion and should be allowed to do so without ridicule. However, by the same token, I think those who have different vantage points than yourself, should be allowed to actively root for their team, without having others cast moral aspersions upon them.  We watch one of the most brutal and savage sports on television, where grown men put their bodies on the line to physically abuse other men, for the sake of pure entertainment value. We observe these acts with our young children, parents and spouses. We constantly surround ourselves with violence strictly for recreation and enjoyment.  

I utilize football as a way to relax from my everyday life and if I'm capable of separating what these men do off-the-field, for what they do on it, I don't think I should have to be talked down to, criticized or have it questioned which way my moral compass points. 

I despise Vick as a person, the same way I do Sam Hurd for putting drugs in the hands of hundreds of adults and non-adults in the greater Chicago area. However, if the NFL deems him fit to return to playing, then I will root for my team the same way that I've done over the years, which I feel I should be able to do without being questioned.  The same way yourself, and the others should be allowed to not watch without criticism. 

Archived