LET'S GO GENO!!!!

Klecko73isGod

Sanchez rightfully earned the starting spot over Geno, but obviously didn't play because of injuries. Geno played as an average rookie QB would over the course of the season, but showed signs of greatness. He had a stellar final four games of the year (minus the Carolina game). Folks, this is Geno's job to lose. I personally think the QB position should be our least of worries. I do not like the idea of Kyle Wilson starting opposite Dee Milliner. We NEED another corner. 

Really good post, thanks for signing up!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the millionth time his name is Eugene

His legal name is Eugene Cyril Smith III.

Which reminds me, please stop annoying people here with the same two lines over and over and over again.

Thanks. 

1. Geno was playing his first ever NFL games.  

2. Vick was an experienced veteran

3. The Eagles had no idea that Foles could do what he did last year

4.  The Eagles had a lot of money invested in Vick

5.  QBs have the ability to improve in their 2nd year.

And he's not an experienced veteran now? Listen I get that you guys are all aboard the Geno train, but lettuce be real tea, Geno was garbage last year. Awful, horrendous, he buttfumbled for gods sake. This is the guy you expect to beat out Vick, a guy who beat out Foles? And don't give me that money crap, jobs are on the line in the NFL. Teams play who they think is the best player. The Eagles thought Vick was better then Foles at that point so they started him. They were wrong, obviously, but that's not the point.The point is, Vick dazzles coaches. He makes plays that end up on ESPN that teams and coaches fall in love with. Any of you who think Vick isn't the favorite to win this job, is out of your mind.

Awwww Its because the Eugene supporters on here cant handle the truth. Fine I'll say my two lines on threads where it doesn't hurt your feelings.

Smith improved dramatically the last four games of the season, his really bad patch was without Kerley, when he was throwing to street guys like Greg Salas. Rookies not named Marino, Luck or Manning struggle at first.

We had the worst receiving core in the league during a stretch of the season. Geno also came from a pistol system and just never played under Center. The kids going to be fine, he's Idziks boy and MM likes him, Vicks riding the pine. Lets see how he looks with real NFL talent playing wideout this year.

And he's not an experienced veteran now? Listen I get that you guys are all aboard the Geno train, but lettuce be real tea, Geno was garbage last year. Awful, horrendous, he buttfumbled for gods sake. This is the guy you expect to beat out Vick, a guy who beat out Foles? And don't give me that money crap, jobs are on the line in the NFL. Teams play who they think is the best player. The Eagles thought Vick was better then Foles at that point so they started him. They were wrong, obviously, but that's not the point.The point is, Vick dazzles coaches. He makes plays that end up on ESPN that teams and coaches fall in love with. Any of you who think Vick isn't the favorite to win this job, is out of your mind.

No you are out of your mind if you think most on this board are out of their mind for believing Eugene is the savior.  Hence, I like you, am out of my mind. 

Smith improved dramatically the last four games of the season, his really bad patch was without Kerley, when he was throwing to street guys like Greg Salas. Rookies not named Marino, Luck or Manning struggle at first.

We had the worst receiving core in the league during a stretch of the season. Geno also came from a pistol system and just never played under Center. The kids going to be fine, he's Idziks boy and MM likes him, Vicks riding the pine. Lets see how he looks with real NFL talent playing wideout this year.

yawn. I am sleepy and this argument has been dissected to threads before.   

You mean like when Glenn Foley beat out Vinny Testaverde? Unlike Vick, Foley wasn't even the incumbent starter, had never been the Jets' regular starter since being drafted, and 3 months of "competition" between the two.

So was Parcells blind, or was he such an a-hole he wouldn't admit that Belichick was right and he was wrong? (BB was the one who went nuts for Parcells to pick him up in June after Baltimore cut him).  That, and Tuna's utterly moronic "starters can't lose their jobs through injuries" mantra.

1. Foley starts season after Parcells has determined, over the prior 90 days of pre-season practice and games, that the team is better off with him as the starter instead of Testaverde.

2. Jets lose first 2 games.  

3. Foley bruises his ribs or something. 

4. Testaverde starts game 3, throws 4 TDs, and Jets finally get a win.

5. Parcells sends Testaverde back to the bench.  Foley starts game 4 because of the above Tuna-rule.

6. Jets lose.  Foley doesn't get pulled until the game is out of hand at 23-3, during which time Foley went 5/15 with 0 TDs and 2 picks.

Parcells's stubbornness would have cost the Jets' entire 1998 season if not for Testaverde being better than Belichick had ever dreamed he would be, and saving the team.  Or did Foley beat out Testaverde over the summer?

Then in the summers of 2001 (and 2000), in the eyes of Bill Belichick, Tom Brady lost the QB competition to Drew Bledsoe.  And it's not like Bledsoe was even particularly good the year before that.  Or the year before that.  Or the year before that.

How about when Trent Green beat out Kurt Warner? Oops.  Lucky for Dick Vermeil, Rodney Harrison ripped Green's knee to shreds in the 3rd or 4th pre-season game.

How about dozens of other examples of a head coach thinking the 2nd-best QB on the team was actually the best QB on the team, and that 2nd-best QB "earning" the starting job?

Smith will improve over his first NFL summer.  I don't think Sanchez would have beaten him out in an open competition this summer, (hasn't played in a year, and didn't exactly take the bull by the horns last summer either), but we'll find out soon enough how much Smith has or has not improved.  If he hasn't improved enough, then the Jets will give felon the starting job.

Crazy to me how many people dont think/see/get that Geno has got this.

Crazy to me how many people dont think/see/get that Geno has got this.

i really hope so,i think geno with time would be a good QB. i just hope we draft a TE and and get jackson from the Eagles they are going to cut him soon

No you are out of your mind if you think most on this board are out of their mind for believing Eugene is the savior.  Hence, I like you, am out of my mind. 

Dude, there is a difference between rooting for Smith to be the real deal and thinking he already is. What would be best for the Jets in the long term? Smith turning into a legit star QB or a 34-year-old Vick having one last good season before his age completely catches up to him?

I support Geno because I am a Jets fan and Geno being good is the best scenario for the Jets. I don't support Geno because I think Geno is awesome. I want him to be, because that will make rooting for the Jets more enjoyable. 

Get it now, son?

Nobody knows what Geno is yet... to say he sucks or to say hes good are both ridiculous... The guy was playing with hands down the worst offensive skill position players in the league last year that were also playing in a brand new offense...Give Geno some weapons and a second year in the offense and see what he can do... 

Geno will be just fine.  He showed great upside.  When he started becoming more aggressive, the light came on for him.  He can strike REAL fear in defenses when he plays like that.  He started to remind me a lot of Capernick down the stretch there.  I for one CANT WAIT (Bart Scott) to see him in action again this year. For all you naysayers...you'll be allright!  The 8-8 campaign last year just whetted my appetite for what COULD BE this year!  I love the way David Nelson came on, hes gonna be Really Special ( Watch .. Ill gladly say I CALLED THAT ONE!! )  We really need a safety...wait...a SAFETY, another CB, I believe in the promise that this YOUNG , exciting team showed, and will show.  Admit it...You had a FREAKIN BALL watchin the JETS play last season..  I know I DID!!!   GO JETS!!!!!!     :box:

Smith Improved Dramatically ? He played OK the last 4 games of the season with a completion percentage in the 50's and 4 TD 2 INT's ....Petty sad day when Jets fans think this is dramatic Improvement against Miami Cleveland Oakland the only good team of the 4 Carolina he played bad.

I'm not a big Geno fan because I see a lot of flaws in his game that need to be fixed. He did not march in here with solid Mechanics. BUT he does deserve the chance to compete and prove as to whether or not he fixed those flaws. Either way I certainly hope the Jets draft a QB in this years draft and if one of the better ones happens to drop to them at 18 they better pull the trigger.

Smith Improved Dramatically ? He played OK the last 4 games of the season with a completion percentage in the 50's and 4 TD 2 INT's ....Petty sad day when Jets fans think this is dramatic Improvement against Miami Cleveland Oakland the only good team of the 4 Carolina he played bad.

I'm not a big Geno fan because I see a lot of flaws in his game that need to be fixed. He did not march in here with solid Mechanics. BUT he does deserve the chance to compete and prove as to whether or not he fixed those flaws. Either way I certainly hope the Jets draft a QB in this years draft and if one of the better ones happens to drop to them at 18 they better pull the trigger.

sorry smash but I really think Idzik will go the Tanny route and give Eugene a long rope to hang himself.  With Vick aboard, I doubt Idzik drafts any of the top rated qb's even if they are there in the first 3 rounds.  Maybe round 4 and after. Vick is obviously  a short term fix.  It buys them time for Eugene to 'mature'.  The Jet D will flourish and Eugene will eventually usurp Vick in a year or two and it will be a rerun of Sanchez. Some wins, maybe a playoff appearance here and there but he will never take them any farther than the Sanchize.  And we will have no back up plan. We will be screwed just like we are now.... a great defense and nowhere to go.    

Im good with our QB line-up.  (Keep Matt.).  as for flaws in Genos game, really?  Who doesnt have them?  Look, Im no teeny-bopper wth green colored glasses, seen a little football ( abt 45 yrs wrth), Last yr was a ton of fun.  Youthfulness, new players, love the running game, some fixes required, but to fight and get that 8-8 record was allrght.  All the KNOW-IT-ALL pundits had us 2-14!!  Jets showed Heart and Promise.  If u didnt see that, u can always use my green coloredd glasses!!!  : )     Go JETS!!!     

If Geno looks reasonably competent in camp, he'll likely get the nod. Vick is being brought in as assurance and somebody to push Geno. Idzik will give Geno every chance to succeed IMO, but in the event Geno struggles and does not have a better 2nd year Vick will be ready to go.

I can't say I'd be shocked if Vick ends up the day 1 starter, but at this point I'm not sure I'd predict it.

It is a huge step for Geno to become a competent NFL QB.  He was better in the last few games, but that can only be gauged as improvement if grading on the short-bus curve.  I truly hope he gets there, but I have seen nothing to support the idea that he will make significant progress.  Any news on what he's been doing in the off season?

You mean like when Glenn Foley beat out Vinny Testaverde? Unlike Vick, Foley wasn't even the incumbent starter, had never been the Jets' regular starter since being drafted, and 3 months of "competition" between the two.

So was Parcells blind, or was he such an a-hole he wouldn't admit that Belichick was right and he was wrong? (BB was the one who went nuts for Parcells to pick him up in June after Baltimore cut him).  That, and Tuna's utterly moronic "starters can't lose their jobs through injuries" mantra.

1. Foley starts season after Parcells has determined, over the prior 90 days of pre-season practice and games, that the team is better off with him as the starter instead of Testaverde.

2. Jets lose first 2 games.  

3. Foley bruises his ribs or something. 

4. Testaverde starts game 3, throws 4 TDs, and Jets finally get a win.

5. Parcells sends Testaverde back to the bench.  Foley starts game 4 because of the above Tuna-rule.

6. Jets lose.  Foley doesn't get pulled until the game is out of hand at 23-3, during which time Foley went 5/15 with 0 TDs and 2 picks.

Parcells's stubbornness would have cost the Jets' entire 1998 season if not for Testaverde being better than Belichick had ever dreamed he would be, and saving the team.  Or did Foley beat out Testaverde over the summer?

Then in the summers of 2001 (and 2000), in the eyes of Bill Belichick, Tom Brady lost the QB competition to Drew Bledsoe.  And it's not like Bledsoe was even particularly good the year before that.  Or the year before that.  Or the year before that.

How about when Trent Green beat out Kurt Warner? Oops.  Lucky for Dick Vermeil, Rodney Harrison ripped Green's knee to shreds in the 3rd or 4th pre-season game.

How about dozens of other examples of a head coach thinking the 2nd-best QB on the team was actually the best QB on the team, and that 2nd-best QB "earning" the starting job?

Smith will improve over his first NFL summer.  I don't think Sanchez would have beaten him out in an open competition this summer, (hasn't played in a year, and didn't exactly take the bull by the horns last summer either), but we'll find out soon enough how much Smith has or has not improved.  If he hasn't improved enough, then the Jets will give felon the starting job.

Teams play the player who they think is the best player that will help them win games. I'm inclined to think Parcells thought Foley was indeed better then Vinny, hence he started him. I don't why that's so hard to believe, the only exception to this rule is when teams have a younger player. In which case teams will take the loss of play to help develop the player. And please drop the sarcasm and smart ass attitude, coaches have been wrong before. As much as you like to believe coaches are always right, Bellicheck himself passed on Brady how many times? Bellicheck himself didn't know Brady was going to be the qb he became, so he started Bledsoe. A qb with a proven track record who he felt comfortable with playing rather then an unproven player. 

It is a huge step for Geno to become a competent NFL QB.  He was better in the last few games, but that can only be gauged as improvement if grading on the short-bus curve.  I truly hope he gets there, but I have seen nothing to support the idea that he will make significant progress.  Any news on what he's been doing in the off season?

Yes he's shopping for clipboards.

Sanchez got hurt hence Geno started. You can't really tell me you believe that Geno won that competition did you?

Its just far less relevant than what you imagine. See they played the foozball Americano after training camp finished, a whole regular season.

sorry smash but I really think Idzik will go the Tanny route and give Eugene a long rope to hang himself.  With Vick aboard, I doubt Idzik drafts any of the top rated qb's even if they are there in the first 3 rounds.  Maybe round 4 and after. Vick is obviously  a short term fix.  It buys them time for Eugene to 'mature'.  The Jet D will flourish and Eugene will eventually usurp Vick in a year or two and it will be a rerun of Sanchez. Some wins, maybe a playoff appearance here and there but he will never take them any farther than the Sanchize.  And we will have no back up plan. We will be screwed just like we are now.... a great defense and nowhere to go.    

If Bridgewater or Bortles is there when we pick and the Jets pass the crowds reaction on TV will be almost worth the sorrow we all feel.

Archived