I'm over it already

bergenjets

I didn't call Idzik a liar, that's your word, but the Vick signing does not fit with his alleged vision and strategy in free agency.

It's too early to say this because it depends on the draft. If he doesn't draft a QB early, we have a problem, because then the one-year deal makes no sense and it also means he has way too much faith in Geno.

What QB would have?

Gee, I don't know. One that doesn't have 176 turnovers in 128 career games? Someone younger and not made of glass who might be a viable backup for a few years? Someone with a career completion percentage that's maybe a whole point or so higher than Geno's?

Or no one, followed up by taking one in the first three rounds in May.

I don't see much, if any, upside to Vick. And I don't like him.

Gee, I don't know. One that doesn't have 176 turnovers in 128 career games? Someone younger and not made of glass who might be a viable backup for a few years? Someone with a career completion percentage that's maybe a whole point or so higher than Geno's?

I meant a person, not a general description.

It's too early to say this because it depends on the draft. If he doesn't draft a QB early, we have a problem, because then the one-year deal makes no sense and it also means he has way too much faith in Geno.

I'm on board with taking a QB for obvious reasons, but I don't necessarily agree it's a problem if we don't. This isn't a particularly great class and considering how weak the roster is overall, I think it'd be kind of a waste to spend a 1 on Bortles or a 2 on Carr or whatever just because they happen to be there.

I'm on board with taking a QB for obvious reasons, but I don't necessarily agree it's a problem if we don't. This isn't a particularly great class and considering how weak the roster is overall, I think it'd be kind of a waste to spend a 1 on Bortles or a 2 on Carr or whatever just because they happen to be there.

Maybe, but some sort of plan needs to be in place, we can't bank on going into 2015 with a rookie under center. I really don't care about anything that Idzik does otherwise.

Maybe, but some sort of plan needs to be in place, we can't bank on going into 2015 with a rookie under center. I really don't care about anything that Idzik does otherwise.

True. I'm still holding on to this impossible dream that Bridgewater drops far enough for us to make a move for him.

The free agent QB market was horrendous this year. Vick being a top prospect is indicative of that. John Idzik talks out one side of his mouth about building the Jets long term (his excuse for not signing any FA of note outside of Decker), then signs a 34 year old, broken down, never-was at the QB position? It makes no good sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense.  Who was available that was a better mentor for Geno than Vick?  He's well versed in MM's system and whether we like him or not he's been described as being "revered" in the locker room. 

The fact that Idzik made it a 1 year deal allows for the benefit of helping Geno along while providing a viable option if he falls.  All while allowing them to draft and groom another QB.

Everything about the move was done with an eye towards the future.

I don't like Vick, but I don't like him as a football player even more. He's not good, and useless as a mentor.

This is my problem with the signing.  But what were the options? Sanchez?

They can't just trot Smith out there and actually charge for the tickets

This is my problem with the signing.  But what were the options? Sanchez?

They can't just trot Smith out there and actually charge for the tickets

That's the irony..  Sanchez was/is a better option than Vick but Jet fans said loud and clear that they would simply not have it.  Well...  here ya go then.

That's the irony..  Sanchez was/is a better option than Vick but Jet fans said loud and clear that they would simply not have it.  Well...  here ya go then.

I would have much preferred Sanchez over Vick, but it didn't go down that way.   Guess I'll deal with it

Actually it makes perfect sense. Who was available that was a better mentor for Geno than Vick? He's well versed in MM's system and whether we like him or not he's been described as being "revered" in the locker room.

The fact that Idzik made it a 1 year deal allows for the benefit of helping Geno along while providing a viable option if he falls. All while allowing them to draft and groom another QB.

Everything about the move was done with an eye towards the future.

3EB8E570-698E-454D-8A45-9D9C4AD95FDC.jpg

I'd say McCown, Cassel and Fitz would have been close, but all got longer and/or bigger deals. It was a pathetic group as it usually is with QB's.

1. Michael Vick

2. Josh McCown (Signed two-year, $10M deal with TB)

3. Matt Cassel (Re-signed two-year, $10M deal with MIN)

4. Josh Freeman

5. Shaun Hill

6. Ryan Fitzpatrick (Signed two-year, $7.5M deal with HOU)

7. Jason Campbell (Signed one-year deal with CIN)

8. Chad Henne (Re-signed two-year, $8M deal with JAX)

9. Tarvaris Jackson (Re-signed one-year, $1.25M deal with SEA)

10. Kevin Kolb 

11. Brandon Weeden (Signed two-year deal with DAL)

12. Colt McCoy

13. Matt Flynn

14. Kellen Clemens (Signed two-year, $3M deal with SD)

15. Luke McCown

16. Derek Anderson (Re-signed one-year deal with CAR)

17. David Garrard

18. Dan Orlovsky

19. Rex Grossman

20. Curtis Painter (Re-signed one-year, $795K deal with NYG)

21. Charlie Whitehurst (Signed two-year, $4M deal with TEN)

IMO, he's coming in to backup Geno for $3.5 million less than Sanchez was going to get to do the same thing. I see it was a sideways move with cost savings plus the added benefit of moving past the Sanchez era. Neither Vick nor Sanchez were/are going to be long-term solutions.

This.  

It is retarded to think that we just singed a one year deal with a 34 yearr old injury prone QB to be our long term solution. Vick was signed to back up Geno, but also let him know that there is someone here who can threaten his job if he messes around. 

To get past the Sanchez era is of added benefit as well as the cost savings. This move makes tons of sense... if you believe in giving Geno more than one season that is. 

Archived