Cannizzaro: [Derp-filled think piece whining about Sanchez getting released later than Cannizzaro would prefer]

T0mShane

ST. LOUIS — In the end, after a five-year marriage that became rocky, the Jets’ treatment of Mark Sanchez was deplorable.

Breathe deeply, Sanchez haters. You know who you are, because you are everywhere. Based on the inflammatory Twitter reactions I received for voicing this same sentiment Friday about the poor timing of Sanchez’s release, I’m well aware that statement doesn’t sit well with you.

I’m well aware the Jets made Sanchez a multi-millionaire, made him a star, a regular Page Six item for all the high-profile women he dated.

That they drafted him perhaps higher (No. 5 overall) than he should have been with so little starting experience coming out of USC in 2009.

That they gave him a ridiculous kiss-and-make-up contract extension in 2012 (with more than $20 million guaranteed) after their flirtation with Peyton Manning became public.

I get all that. Hold off on the sad-story violin music for the fallen star who is financially set for life.

What I do not understand is why, when the Jets knew all along — for months — they were going to move on from Sanchez going forward, they felt the need to bleed this thing out until Friday night, two weeks into free agency and with most teams already having addressed their quarterback vacancies.

By doing this, the Jets dramatically reduced Sanchez’s options for places to sign. Was that necessary?

You want to make the argument the Jets held onto Sanchez as insurance in case they were unable to sign Michael Vick? The Jets never had any intention of keeping Sanchez. They knew their fan base would revolt if Sanchez ever were under center again.

You want to make the argument it was the Jets’ prerogative to wait as long as they wanted — right up until his $2 million roster bonus deadline arrived on Tuesday — before releasing him? Of course it was, but does that make it right?

I get that the NFL, like every other professional sport, is a ruthless business and teams must look out for themselves first. But the way teams treat their players goes a long way toward helping them recruit top players.

A week ago, free-agent cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie chose to sign with the Giants over the Jets after visiting both teams. Maybe it only was about the money for Rodgers-Cromartie, with the Giants offering a sweeter deal. But maybe it was a choice of one organization over the other, too.

Jets general manager John Idzik, for whom the jury remains very much out, has not proven himself to be a very good recruiter. See his failure to add a free agent cornerback to his depleted secondary despite a plentiful market and gads of salary cap space.

The Jets, using the age-old, lame-old public relations ploy when the objective is to attract the least attention possible, announced the Sanchez release on their Twitter account at 6:22 p.m. Friday night with the sports world otherwise immersed in NCAA Tournament basketball.

At 6:26 p.m., the Jets’ Twitter account sent out a canned Rex Ryan quote, reading: “I’d like to thank Mark for everything he’s done for this team and me personally.’’

At 6:32, they sent out a picture of Vick signing his one-year, $5 million contract to replace Sanchez.

Classy stuff.

For all the negatives that seem to override anything good he did as a Jet, Sanchez was a good employee.

The “Buttfumble?’’

Not Sanchez’s fault, yet it is affixed to his legacy as permanently as that tattoo on Ryan’s right arm of his wife wearing a Sanchez jersey as a nightie.

When Sanchez was put into that preseason game against the Giants in the fourth quarter last August — behind a backup offensive line, after he already had won the starting job — and got his right shoulder mangled, how often did you hear Sanchez complain about that publicly?

Never.

The injury ended Sanchez’s season and, effectively, his career with the Jets. Yet Sanchez, to this day, never has taken a shot at the Jets for their amateur-hour handling of that situation.

As it turned out, amateur hour extended from that 2013 preseason game right up until 6:22 p.m. Friday night.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hilarious and beyond naive..

Its a freakin business, not  a Me Entitled, No Score Little League Generation feel good campfire..

Sanchez (because he KNEW Martys playbook) had a backup benefit to Jets. Did they want to replace him? Ya, but first we had to get a Vet QB signed, LOL

So when Vick (as backup, best fit for Jets casue he also KNOWS Martys playbook) was signed, Mark was released.. Business 101 .

Canazoro thinks we should have released him earlier to get a job at expense of Jets. Idiotic cause Jets may not have been able to find suitable cap friendly backup and then we would have kept Mark cause of knowledge of playbook. 

Idzik performed exactly as a businessman should. Do whats best for his business..

These players know this isnt same as working for a company like we do etc,, and on taht point how many companies are people friendly anymore LOL

hilarious and beyond naive..

Its a freakin business, not a Me Entitled, No Score Little League Generation feel good campfire..

Sanchez (because he KNEW Martys playbook) had a backup benefit to Jets. Did they want to replace him? Ya, but first we had to get a Vet QB signed, LOL

So when Vick (as backup, best fit for Jets casue he also KNOWS Martys playbook) was signed, Mark was released.. Business 101 .

Canazoro thinks we should have released him earlier to get a job at expense of Jets. Idiotic cause Jets may not have been able to find suitable cap friendly backup and then we would have kept Mark cause of knowledge of playbook.

Idzik performed exactly as a businessman should. Do whats best for his business..

These players know this isnt same as working for a company like we do etc,, and on taht point how many companies are people friendly anymore LOL

I had a friend last year who got laid off from her law firm via email on Thanksgiving day.

so the jets tried to trade an asset.  didn't work. then they hired a replacement, before firing the incompetent employee

what did they do wrong ?

his moronic representatives agreed to the bonus date 2 weeks after the new league year started.  if it was 2 weeks ago, that's when he gets cut

I agree with everything stated in this article/ You guys are way way to defensive of an organization that has sh*t the bed for years and years and years then you get mad at the media for stating as such.

Get the f@ck over it man. When this team starts to do things like they should (like they did for the short time Parcells was here) you will stop seeing the negative arguments.

All everyone in this forum does is spurt out negative sh*t but then bash the media for doing the same freakin thing.

When the Jets stop acting like the morons of the football world the media will stop treating them that way.

I agree with everything stated in this article/ You guys are way way to defensive of an organization that has sh*t the bed for years and years and years then you get mad at the media for stating as such.

Get the f@ck over it man. When this team starts to do things like they should (like they did for the short time Parcells was here) you will stop seeing the negative arguments.

All everyone in this forum does is spurt out negative sh*t but then bash the media for doing the same freakin thing.

When the Jets stop acting like the morons of the football world the media will stop treating them that way.

what would you say to his agents that agreed to the bonus date that is 2 weeks after FA begins ?

I literally stay alive only to bash the Jets, but this article is stupid.

When you think of all the obstacles life has put in front of him, it really is amazing that Sanchez keeps finding the courage to get out of bed every morning.

Im not sure this article is about Sanchez .... But you go ahead and keep looking at it that way.

How organizations treat players (organizations that don't win) does have an effect on who comes and who does not.

Sure the Pats treat players like sh*t and always have but they win and they pay when players come in. If the Pats were a team like the Jets and Belichick treated players like he does NE would be a black hole and Belichick would have been gone years ago because of it.

Sure the Pats treat players like sh*t and always have but they win and they pay when players come in. If the Pats were a team like the Jets and Belichick treated players like he does NE would be a black hole and Belichick would have been gone years ago because of it.

¿Que que?

Int. CONFERENCE ROOM at MetLife Sports Complex. DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE is on a conference call with Giants beat writers.

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: So, I'm really excited to be a New York Giant. I think we've got a chance to do some special things here.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 1: It seemed like it came down to the Giants and Jets. Can you describe how you made that decision?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: It just came down to fit, really. Just thinking about where my talents would be put to the best use.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 1: It's been rumored that the decision came down to money--that the Jets simply weren't willing to offer the same guarantees the Giants were. Can you speak to that?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Not really. I don't think it's really appropriate to discuss that kind of thing. And anyway, turning down the Jets had nothing to do with money.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 2: What do you mean?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Well, if I'm being honest, it was just the way the franchise treats people.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 2: Can you elaborate?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: I really shouldn't.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 3: Come on, give us something.

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Ok, I'll say this: seeing the way the team has treated Mark Sanchez--athlete, scholar, humanitarian, son, brother, father (probably), two-time AFC Championship Game participant--it just really makes you wonder whether or not God exists. And I don't need that in my life.

So I've got to ask, are you really oblivious to the hilarious irony that comes from you seriously trying to lecture others about being "way way to defensive" of failures and getting mad at others for pointing it out?  I'm just saying.

in a 32 team league, geno was ranked #37 for rating.  I looked at the middle of the pack rating wise and came up with;

newton

brady

luck

Stafford

if any of those guys get released august 15th, they have a job in minutes, and they were middle of the pack

this has nothing to do with timing and everything to do with the fact a player got cut where the starter on the team is the worst in the NFL

he sux

get over it

so the jets tried to trade an asset.  didn't work. then they hired a replacement, before firing the incompetent employee

what did they do wrong ?

his moronic representatives agreed to the bonus date 2 weeks after the new league year started.  if it was 2 weeks ago, that's when he gets cut

That's the part right there that really makes anyone trying to put forward such an argument look ridiculous.  Sanchez and his agents knew exactly what they were getting into when they agreed to have the roster bonus schedule when it was.  The vast majority of contracts have those bonuses hit sometime within the first couple of days of FA, the fact that Sanchez's didn't was clearly a very deliberate decision.

How can someone, on one hand, talk about how fine it is Sanchez didn't come anywhere close to earning his pay these past few years simply because it's the Jets fault for agreeing to that contract (which is a fair enough point), but then completely contradict themselves by saying how evil and unholy it is for the Jets to handle business based upon that same contract which Sanchez also agreed to?

So I've got to ask, are you really oblivious to the hilarious irony that comes from you seriously trying to lecture others about being "way way to defensive" of failures and getting mad at others for pointing it out?  I'm just saying.

BG I have stated many times there are other factors in play when it comes to evaluating QB's .... I don't discredit the facts of bad QB play, but those who push the facts never look at the other reasons in play and they always point to one guy. The few elite QB's in this league are all surrounded with talent and lots of it. Vick is a bad QB because he had loads of talent around him and he was STILL inconsistent that was made very clear when Foles stepped in and played at a very elite level with very little NFL experience to his credit.  Now we have Vick, and with much less talent around him. What happens now is obvious. He may make some incredible plays and show you his incredible ability but he will fail because he's a bad QB . I know you cant stand Vick but I think you see my point. Sanchez may never get the chance to play with elite level talent some QB's never do due to the ignorance of their organizations. They eventually get traded to organizations who never surround their QB's with talent thinking its "all about the QB" and they never win. Some QB's just keep getting passed around from one inept organization to another until they just go away. McCown after years of playing with Crap gets his chance to play with elite type talent what was the result ? Someone one picks him up and thinks hes going to put up those same numbers with a lot less talent. This cycle just keeps repeating itself.

The Jets have done many things wrong, including drafting Marck Sanchez, making him the starting QB without any competition, and paying him gobs of money. We should all be so insulted and demeaned as to never again have to work nor worry about money ever the rest of your life in your mid-20s. There are a lot of people his age who cannot find a decent job in this economy much less live on their own.Sanchez needs no sympathy at all. See ya, don't let the door hit you in the ass, and hope you saved those gobs of money. Unlikley Mark Sanchez will ever again see a paycheck with a comma in it.

Int. CONFERENCE ROOM at MetLife Sports Complex. DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE is on a conference call with Giants beat writers.

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: So, I'm really excited to be a New York Giant. I think we've got a chance to do some special things here.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 1: It seemed like it came down to the Giants and Jets. Can you describe how you made that decision?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: It just came down to fit, really. Just thinking about where my talents would be put to the best use.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 1: It's been rumored that the decision came down to money--that the Jets simply weren't willing to offer the same guarantees the Giants were. Can you speak to that?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Not really. I don't think it's really appropriate to discuss that kind of thing. And anyway, turning down the Jets had nothing to do with money.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 2: What do you mean?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Well, if I'm being honest, it was just the way the franchise treats people.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 2: Can you elaborate?

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: I really shouldn't.

GIANTS BEAT WRITER 3: Come on, give us something.

DOMINIQUE RODGERS-CROMARTIE: Ok, I'll say this: seeing the way the team has treated Mark Sanchez--athlete, scholar, humanitarian, son, brother, father (probably), two-time AFC Championship Game participant--it just really makes you wonder whether or not God exists. And I don't need that in my life.

Shakespeare

They cut Sanchez the very day they signed his replacement.  End of story.  

If they waited two weeks after FA period started then cut Sanchez without signing anyone,  or signed someone at the beginning of FA but kept Sanchez waiting for a week and then cut him, this article might make sense.  But they cut Sanchez the very day they found his replacement, it's a business decision.

Archived