Mark Cuban: 'Hoggy' NFL will 'implode in 10 years'

F.Chowds

DALLAS - Mark Cuban has many colorful phrases he uses to explain his business policies. One often-used gem from the Dallas Mavericks owner: "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

It's his way of warning against corporate and personal greed, and on Sunday before his Mavs tipped off against the visiting Nets, the outspoken Cuban used the phrase to express to reporters that the seemingly infallible NFL is being "hoggy" and that America's most popular sport is "10 years away from an implosion."

Cuban's specific point regards the NFL's new television plans that will include not only Monday and Thursday night games but also Saturday games and possibly Wednesday games. The NFL has also discussed expanded playoffs and a move from a 16-game schedule to an 18-game schedule.

"I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered," he said. "And they're getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way... When you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

"Imploding" seems a bit strong here. And in fact, as the owner of an NBA team, Cuban's true concern might rest here: "They're trying to take over every night of TV," he said.

Should the NFL do that, the real impact might be to NBA ratings on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Cuban conceded that "Initially, it'll be the biggest rating thing there is," but added, "Then, if they get Saturday, now they're impacting college. And then if they go to Wednesday, at some point, people get sick of it."

Cuban is always worth listening to on such matters; he's a non-linear thinker and sports leadership has too few of those. And there certainly is a line of oversaturation that can be crossed, though I contend that in America, the NFL ranks somewhere just behind organized religion and booze and being likely to "implode." I would also note that in my view, the NFL's real "hogginess" is reflected in its desire to expand by placing a franchise in a place like London -- a logistical nightmare that league bosses might view as too financially lucrative to pass up.

But the NBA can have no hoggy bone to pick there... as the NBA desires to expand by placing a franchise in a place like, you guessed it, London.

I agree that pretty much all of these ideas mentioned in the article (games on more nights, expanded schedule, expanded playoffs) are absolutely moronic, but people have been saying for years and years now that the NFL was going to fall any day now, and it only keeps getting stronger.  The league isn't going anywhere at any point in the foreseeable future.

The Thursday night games are bad. Wednesday will be worse. If you want to do Saturday night, I'm fine with it. Teams will still have time to prepare and it can still feel like an event. I've always called football Sundays "mini-holidays". If you want the game to feel common, then yeah people will eventually tune out. Trash Thursdays and definitely leave Wednesdays alone.

The NFL knows you dont want it(more nights, more games, more teams, more playoffs) but they know you'll watch it.

I gotta say though- if the Jets have like 6 combined Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday night and Monday games...I dont know, that sucks.

Any self-interest or hypocrisy from Mark Cuban aside, the 18-game season, games in London, Thursday night games (outside of opening day and Thanksgiving), expanded playoffs, etc., are all bad ideas, and all greed-based. Not a single one is good for the game, but they all help line pockets.

DALLAS - Mark Cuban has many colorful phrases he uses to explain his business policies. One often-used gem from the Dallas Mavericks owner: "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

It's his way of warning against corporate and personal greed, and on Sunday before his Mavs tipped off against the visiting Nets, the outspoken Cuban used the phrase to express to reporters that the seemingly infallible NFL is being "hoggy" and that America's most popular sport is "10 years away from an implosion."

Cuban's specific point regards the NFL's new television plans that will include not only Monday and Thursday night games but also Saturday games and possibly Wednesday games. The NFL has also discussed expanded playoffs and a move from a 16-game schedule to an 18-game schedule.

"I'm just telling you, pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered," he said. "And they're getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way... When you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

"Imploding" seems a bit strong here. And in fact, as the owner of an NBA team, Cuban's true concern might rest here: "They're trying to take over every night of TV," he said.

Should the NFL do that, the real impact might be to NBA ratings on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Cuban conceded that "Initially, it'll be the biggest rating thing there is," but added, "Then, if they get Saturday, now they're impacting college. And then if they go to Wednesday, at some point, people get sick of it."

Cuban is always worth listening to on such matters; he's a non-linear thinker and sports leadership has too few of those. And there certainly is a line of oversaturation that can be crossed, though I contend that in America, the NFL ranks somewhere just behind organized religion and booze and being likely to "implode." I would also note that in my view, the NFL's real "hogginess" is reflected in its desire to expand by placing a franchise in a place like London -- a logistical nightmare that league bosses might view as too financially lucrative to pass up.

But the NBA can have no hoggy bone to pick there... as the NBA desires to expand by placing a franchise in a place like, you guessed it, London.

Mark Cuban, if you are going to steal someone's phrase get it right.

Bulls make money, bears make money, hogs get slaughtered.

FWIW It sounds like sour grapes to me because I dont think he could ever afford an NFL franchise. At least not without co-owners like he has in Dallas.

The NFL shark tank is too big for him.

Not sure I see what is wrong with games in London or Europe.  Baseball reached out to the West Coast in 1957 and it was great for the game.  Now technology has made Europe closer than that.  Other than that, I agree with him, whether his comments were self-interest inspired or not.

Fans hate Woody for merely mentioning Desean's name, but would welcome Cuban? The dude hangs out with his athletes and is constantly in the press talking about what his team needs to do in order to win.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some Cuban, wish the MLB owners would get over themselves and let him buy the Cubs, but unless he buys a team and has someone else handle the day to day affairs, you're looking at a smarter version of Jerry Jones. 

Fans hate Woody for merely mentioning Desean's name, but would welcome Cuban? The dude hangs out with his athletes and is constantly in the press talking about what his team needs to do in order to win.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some Cuban, wish the MLB owners would get over themselves and let him buy the Cubs, but unless he buys a team and has someone else handle the day to day affairs, you're looking at a smarter version of Jerry Jones. 

Yeah, no.

Not sure I see what is wrong with games in London or Europe.  Baseball reached out to the West Coast in 1957 and it was great for the game.  Now technology has made Europe closer than that.  Other than that, I agree with him, whether his comments were self-interest inspired or not.

You know they scrapped the Concorde, right? Denver (to pick a city in the middle of the country) to London is about a ten hour flight. Or almost double New York to San Francisco.

Yeah, no.

How so? He constantly talks about player personnel moves for the Mavericks, is in on every negotiation for players and is known to hang out with them more than any other owner I can think of. If Woody did the types of things Cuban did, people would be all over him. Christ, he tweets in the middle of games about players.  

A smart Jerry Jones would be the best owner of all time.

I like Cuban, I think he's good for sports, especially baseball, but if Woody or any other owner did the things Cuban did, tell me you'd actually like it?  You're all over Woody for his relatively benign comments at the owners meetings, what happens when he starts tweeting about moves that should be made to improve the team or how the refs blew the last call when he's pissed over a loss?  No spin, how would you feel if Woody acted more like Cuban?

How so? He constantly talks about player personnel moves for the Mavericks, is in on every negotiation for players and is known to hang out with them more than any other owner I can think of. If Woody did the types of things Cuban did, people would be all over him. Christ, he tweets in the middle of games about players.  

In public, he's a dunce. In private, he's revamped the Mavs so that they're a leader in analytics and generally speaking one of the smartest-run franchises in the league.

In public, he's a dunce. In private, he's revamped the Mavs so that they're a leader in analytics and generally speaking one of the smartest-run franchises in the league.

I completely agree about how he's handled the Mavs (with the analytics and Euro scouting),  but you know you'd be eviscerating Woody if he started to text his star players on the regular, publicly state that he loves them and would never consider trading them as long as he still wants to play.  Cuban's a very smart individual and I would personally love him to be an MLB owner or buy the Jets, but if he doesn't win quickly, his public act would wear thin on a lot of people.  

I completely agree about how he's handled the Mavs (with the analytics and Euro scouting),  but you know you'd be eviscerating Woody if he started to text his star players on the regular, publicly state that he loves them and would never consider trading them as long as he still wants to play.  Cuban's a very smart individual and I would personally love him to be an MLB owner or buy the Jets, but if he doesn't win quickly, his public act would wear thin on a lot of people.  

If Woody revolutionizes our front office so that we're at the forefront of scouting and development, he can text whoever he wants.

If Woody revolutionizes our front office so that we're at the forefront of scouting and development, he can text whoever he wants.

I feel like, in his own head, he legitimately believes that this is already the case. Like he already walks around the building singing Everything's Coming Up Milhouse and patting people on the back.

I feel like, in his own head, he legitimately believes that this is already the case. Like he already walks around the building singing Everything's Coming Up Milhouse and patting people on the back.

legit LOL at "Everything's Coming Up Milhouse"

You know they scrapped the Concorde, right? Denver (to pick a city in the middle of the country) to London is about a ten hour flight. Or almost double New York to San Francisco.

In 1958 the latest airliners went 350 mph. Today's airliners go between 500 mph and 600 mph. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_L-1649_Starliner  Here's a pic of 1958's latest.

Besides, football is a once a week sport, not a five times a week sport like baseball.

post-8744-0-35662200-1395684102_thumb.jp

Archived