Remaining Offseason Landscape if Jets can somehow land DeSean Jackson

nj meadowlands

So, I got to thinking in an early Monday morning meeting (naturally) about what the Jets might do next if they were somehow able to wrest DeSean Jackson away from Philadelphia, and how it might impact their remaining offseason--- and especially their draft priorities.  Now, I don't think this will actually happen, nor am I really sure that I want it to.  However, the thought of throwing out a top 3 WR corps of (at minimum) Jackson, Decker, and Kerley is pretty tantalizing compared the piles of crap of the last few years.

So, what does everyone think -- if we get Jackson, where do we go in the draft?  Suddenly, it seems like we might be craving some defense (surprise, surprise).

In order of priority, I would think...

1) CB.   Rationale:  Pretty obvious.  Opposite the relatively green Milliner, we have no proven veterans.  Rex is definitely antsy, and the Jets could definitely be targeting Dennard / Gilbert / Verrett / etc as a top pick.

2) TE.    Rationale:  Still a position of need with only one semi-legitimate option on the roster.  Could easily see us going with Ebron in round 1 or that bevvy of 2nd round options.

3) FS.    Rationale:   When you put a depth chart together (that includes Jackson) of both sides of the ball, the secondary is easily the most glaring weakness.  Landry, Allen, and Bush are all semi-competent, run stopping type safeties, but we have no legitimate ball hawking free safety, and haven't for a several seasons.  Such an addition would REALLY improve the pallor of the entire defense, and maybe even cover up some of our CB deficiencies.

4) OLB.  Rationale:  Resigning Pace is a good stopgap move, and Coples is making progress (albeit slower than many of us would like) on the other side.  But the Jets really could use a young, dynamic pass rusher on the outside.  Combined with the 3 young studs up front, a young OLB could have a monstrous impact and--again--serve to cover up some of our CB deficiencies.  Would not surprise me in the least if the Jets finally went OLB early (especially if Barr is there at 18).

5. WR.   Rationale:  Yes, in this scenario we now have Jackson, Decker, and Kerley.  But we all know it's Idizk's prerogative to build through the draft, and this particular draft is pretty deep at the position.  Another young burner at WR would not surprise any of us, with or without Jackson.

6.  OL:   Rationale:  I'm pretty convinced that any NFL team could draft OL early in any draft, and no one can really complain about it.  The Jets added the average Breno Giacomini to replace the average Austin Howard.  They also have 2 average guards, and two steady and dependible but aging OL. 

7.  RB:   Rationale:  This one is kind of a wild card.  A lot of mock drafts have us taking a shifty, pass catching RB in the 4-5 round range.  But this might depend on the Jets' perception of Mike Goodson, who, in the 5 seconds he was on the field last year, was pretty exciting looking.

8.  QB:   Rationale:  Yes, we probably need to add another young, competing arm.  But with Vick on board, I wouldn't exactly call it a priority.

#tl;dr

I think TE is our biggest priority over CB. However in the case of Rex Ryan it would be the other way around. I think SS is more important then addressing FS as nothing we have can cover TEs. Both positions need to be improve by showing progress from within or via draft/FA. After that I would have to place in G as we were lucky that Colon manage to stay healthy for 16 games. You'll be playing with fire if you think it can happen again and Winters is still a mystery. As for OLB, I would later say we need a "pass rusher" or "situational" rusher. RB I would label we need a better 3rd down back who should excel as a pass catcher.

In order of priority, I would think...

3) FS.    Rationale:   When you put a depth chart together (that includes Jackson) of both sides of the ball, the secondary is easily the most glaring weakness.  Landry, Allen, and Bush are all semi-competent, run stopping type safeties, but we have no legitimate ball hawking free safety, and haven't for a several seasons.  Such an addition would REALLY improve the pallor of the entire defense, and maybe even cover up some of our CB deficiencies.

People always mention Bush, but Jaquawn Jarrett is still signed and he and Allen flipflopped as starters opposite Landry until Reed was signed.  Bush never seemed to get too much run comparatively.  

Here are the season snap count stats:

Dawan Landry -- 1,081 snaps/98 percent 

Antonio Allen -- 534 snaps/49 percent 

Ed Reed -- 368 snaps/33 percent 

Jaiquawn Jarrett -- 277 snaps/25 percent 

Josh Bush -- 70 snaps/6 percent 

Remember, Reed came to the team late in the season and that percentage is based on total defensive snaps (1,100).

Bush seemed ahead of the other two in 2012 when they gave Allen some playing time in specific games, but bounced him from the practice squad to active roster while protecting Bush.  They had Jarrett in during 2012, but did not sign him until the new year/future prospects contracts were signed.  Jarrett is signed through this season cheap.  Allen and Bush are also cheap and signed through 2015. Wilson played 465 snaps and I believe some were at FS.

People always mention Bush, but Jaquawn Jarrett is still signed and he and Allen flipflopped as starters opposite Landry until Reed was signed.  Bush never seemed to get too much run comparatively.  

Here are the season snap count stats:

Dawan Landry -- 1,081 snaps/98 percent Antonio Allen -- 534 snaps/49 percent Ed Reed -- 368 snaps/33 percent Jaiquawn Jarrett -- 277 snaps/25 percent Josh Bush -- 70 snaps/6 percent 

Remember, Reed came to the team late in the season and that percentage is based on total defensive snaps (1,100).

Bush seemed ahead of the other two in 2012 when they gave Allen some playing time in specific games, but bounced him from the practice squad to active roster while protecting Bush.  They had Jarrett in during 2012, but did not sign him until the new year/future prospects contracts were signed.  Jarrett is signed through this season cheap.  Allen and Bush are also cheap and signed through 2015. Wilson played 465 snaps and I believe some were at FS.

Wow, you wouldn't have thought Landry played the many snaps. Didn't really standout. You have a link to the snap percentage? Just wanted to check it for each position. Thanks.

Wow, you wouldn't have thought Landry played the many snaps. Didn't really standout. You have a link to the snap percentage? Just wanted to check it for each position. Thanks.

I just used google.  That was from espn (Cimini, gasp!), but there are other places.  I can't guarantee it's accurate, but it matches my memory so I'm sticking by it!

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-offensive-snap-count-stats/2013/

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/tag/_/name/playing-time-breakdown

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/tag/_/name/playing-time-analysis

Archived