Vince Wilfork cleans out his locker.

joewilly12

Sources: Vince Wilfork has already cleaned out Patriots locker

e67849cc2b4a478ba9d1ff9413cf17e3.jpg?c=a
Photo by: 
The Associated Press
Vince Wilfork
Monday, March 24, 2014

Following the initial discussion between the Patriots and Vince Wilfork over altering his contract, the nose tackle not only asked for his release, but also made a stop in the locker room to grab his belongings before walking out of Gillette Stadium.

According to two sources, an angry Wilfork ripped his name plate off his locker stall, and cleaned out his locker. That's how Big Vince felt about the proceedings. Naturally, time and distance can change perspective, but Wilfork seemed convinced he was done in New England.

Asked today about Wilfork's desire to be set loose, Patriots owner Robert Kraft struck a measured tone, hoping that things might eventually work out with the five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman.

"Going back over the last 20 years, if I was to think, we've had some pretty special people come through. And he's one of my personal favorites. I'm thinking of Tedy Bruschi, and Matt Light, and Kevin Faulk and Troy Brown. They made their careers with us, and I sure hope Vince will be with us next year," Kraft told reporters. "In modern day athletes, in pro sports, it's a business as well as commitment to one another. We have to work through it. I'm still not giving up hope that he'll be a part of our team next year."

Kraft didn't go into any details about any personal discussions he might have had with Wilfork.

“We’ve been very close and I’ll let Vince speak to whatever he feels is appropriate. We’re probably results-oriented and life is about execution so either we get it done or we don’t,'' Kraft said. "I very much hope we get it done, and I believe he very much would like to do it as well. We’ve been so lucky to have him. So we’ll see what happens.”

Kraft and Wilfork have a tight bond, but in negotiations, the Patriots boss said you have to separate personal feelings from business.

“Unfortunately you do. You know, for him, he’s making some individual decisions. For us, we have to put a team together of over 50 people," Kraft said. "We have a salary cap. In the end, it’s about both parties feeling it’s a good transaction and it’s a win-win. I think that’s what we’re both shooting for.”

Bring him in, I don't care if we have "too many" d-linemen. Rotate Wilfork, Richardson, Harrison, Wilkerson, Ellis and Douzable around that line so that they can all stay rested and angry at all times!!!

Agree and he dominates when we play New England.

We don't need him but I would take him for style points

Agreed....and as mentioned, add him to a heavy rotation to keep guys fresh.  Dude would be a great addition.

Isnt he coming off a season ending injury? If yes, I'd be careful..

Only a torn achilles for a 370+ pound man that just started running about a month ago (according to ESPN Boston).

I understand the principle he is standing by, but good luck getting BJ Raji money (4 million this year) much less the 7.5 he probably wants.

Only a torn achilles for a 370+ pound man that just started running about a month ago (according to ESPN Boston).

I understand the principle he is standing by, but good luck getting BJ Raji money (4 million this year) much less the 7.5 he probably wants.

No matter what Kraft says about wanting him back, Pats are moving on.  Watch them draft Nix come hell or high water.

Sounds kinda like Kris Jenkins...................

I'm all for signing Wilfork for the sole reason of finally getting revenge on Belichick for putting Shaun Ellis in a Patriots uniform. It's worth the cap space to me.

He'd get a crack twice a year at the only QB in the NFL he hasn't been able to hit. I'm pretty sure that's sufficient motivation as well.

Raiders would have no problem taking on that figure.

No matter what Kraft says about wanting him back, Pats are moving on.  Watch them draft Nix come hell or high water.

No doubt.  I am sure they would like him back on an incentive laden contract that will take that 11.5 down to 6 something.

Sounds kinda like Kris Jenkins...................

Is he available?  ;)

Raiders would have no problem taking on that figure.

True, but I doubt they give him 7.5 million up front.  My SWAG is he i not going to be ready for training camp and might not be ready for opening day.  Due to this the Patriots wanted to give him an incentive laden contract to knock down that 11.5 hit.  He said no.  I get him being upset, but do not see much of a chance to recoup that 7.5 he is owed.

Archived