Jets in mix for MJD

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/24/report-jets-in-the-mix-for-free-agent-rb-jones-drew/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Jets have their eyes on a good veteran running back, but will almost certainly have to outsmart two division rivals to get him.

The Jets are currently one of four teams to be interested in free agent Maurice Jones-Drew, the Daily News reported Monday.

Jones-Drew would be the perfect complement to incumbent Chris Ivory and would be an excellent pass-catching option out of the backfield. The only problem is Jones-Drew is also being pursued by the New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers, the newspaper reported.

He could meet with the Jets by the end of the week.

It is believed Jones-Drew is looking for roughly $3.5 million per season, but it’s hard to say if John Idzik will meet his asking priceicon1.png when the Jets’ general manager has taken a hard-line stance on veteran players during free agency.

Idzik, who is said to assess a monetary value to all free agents and not deviate from that price, let many of the top players on the market, including cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and wide receiver James Jones, sign with other teams because, among other reasons, he didn’t feel like giving players nearing 30 long-term deals.

Jones-Drew, 29, might fit into the same category. However, he might also be viewed as an exception because his production over the years has been exemplary. Jones-Drew has rushed for 8,071 yards, hauled in 335 receptions and scored a total of 79 touchdowns in eight NFL seasons, all with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

While it’s true the three-time Pro Bowler averaged only 3.4 yards per carry last season, he was playing for one of the worst teams in the NFL. In all, he totaled 1,117 yards from scrimmage and had five touchdowns.

The Jets have stressed competition since Idzik arrived last summer and the infusion of a Jones-Drew to a backfield featuring injury-prone Ivory, overachieving Bilal Powell and Mike Goodson, who is coming off a season-ending injury, would certainly be an upgrade and add a new dimension to an offense that is striving for both explosiveness and balance.

The Jets are also rumored to be in hot pursuit of disgruntled Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson, who would slot in perfectly next to recently signed Eric Decker.

While it’s true the three-time Pro Bowler averaged only 3.4 yards per carry last season, he was playing for one of the worst teams in the NFL. In all, he totaled 1,117 yards from scrimmage and had five touchdowns.

So what you're saying is that he's perfect for implementing our new falcon offense.

Man, I can't wait for us to sign MJD and you to be upset that we acquired another scrub, while letting all those CBs go elsewhere.

Yep, sucks about all those guards, tackles, corners and safeties that we couldn't grab with our Scrooge McDuck sized pile of cap space.

Everyone is underestimating MJD. In my opinion he is worth $5 mil a year. He played and injured and jaguar-ed his way to less money but he's an absolute beast IMO

But he's a pipe dream... Not gonna happen. It's the Jets. Our RB isn't chop meat either, he's just an injury waiting to happen.

This is from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45cPYghAOyo

highlights don't start until :39

He gets caught from behind now, but still runs hard up the middle.  I think our OL and offense could actually be a great fit for him as he had 43 rec. last year as the team's focal point.  Here, he'd be a complimentary piece which would open up more space for those dump off passes and screens. 

This is from last year

He gets caught from behind now, but still runs hard up the middle.  I think our OL and offense could actually be a great fit for him as he had 43 rec. last year as the team's focal point.  Here, he'd be a complimentary piece which would open up more space for those dump off passes and screens.

You're OTC

This is from last year

He's lost his burst and leaves a lot of yards on the field.  Dont really see what he gives the Jets that they dont already have, to be honest. 

It's a meh signing at a meh position.  The NY nightlife scares me with him.  He's never been in trouble but he doesnt turn down a good party either.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/24/report-jets-in-the-mix-for-free-agent-rb-jones-drew/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Jets have their eyes on a good veteran running back, but will almost certainly have to outsmart two division rivals to get him.

The Jets are currently one of four teams to be interested in free agent Maurice Jones-Drew, the Daily News reported Monday.

That's where I stopped reading.  Why you people give credence to anything the NYDN reports is beyond me.  Mehta has been wrong with just about every one of his predictions this offseason so far.

I think woody is losing his patience and wants more stars

I think the jets get either MJD or djax

I agree,..if things break a certain way this idzik will be the one outta here and Rex won't ...just like Donnie Walsh with Dolan....frightening

He has gotten fat and slow.  Period.  I was stunned at how doughy he looked when i watched him last year.  He's lost two steps, and is easily accounted for by defenses.  There are UFA's with more promise than MJD.  He's a dinosaur at his position and he hasn't taken care of himself like the Walter Paytons and Emmit Smiths or Curtis martins of the world did to prolong their careers.  Forget the cost--he's not a great back anymore.  And good backs can be had for league minimum.

Hope they sign this old washed up running back w/ no tread on his tires... That will give them 2 "name" players that can't play anymore...

Quite the jets rebuild.

May as well call Monk, Lott, Boomer and Atwater too...

Do you think the Jets are waiting till Brady hits 40 to make a run at him?  I mean they are buying a place in NYC...

That is the jets way.  Can't wait to see them crash and burn this year.  They deserve everything they get for what they did signing that piece of trash.

It would be one thing if there was any reason to believe the Jets were considering MJD to be their lead back and work horse, but that certainly does not seem to be the case.  We heard a lot of the same crap about the LT signing and I think it's safe to say that move worked out very well for the Jets.  It's the same concept, you get a guy who at the very least you know is still a viable option in the passing game as both a blocker and receiver, and if you're lucky maybe he shows you he's still got some left in the tank as a runner as well, particularly when taking not nearly the same beating in a time share situation.  It's not like they'd be blindly relying on him for their entire rushing offense, rather he'd be joining the two guys who already put together a very solid running game for the Jets last year.

This is from last year

Not saying you're wrong, but from this compilation I didn't see him get caught from behind unless he was slowed up by a defender first (or if he had to change directions to run laterally to avoid one first). 

I really dont think MJD is at an empty tank. Its probably horrible to run with blanket statements (like all FA veteran RBs are bad buys) without looking at the individual. That the FA RBs thing is so common could mean Los Yets get a former elite for cheap.

Archived