Jets in mix for MJD

JOJOTOWNSELL

Man I can't wait to miss out on MJD because Idzik draws another "line in the sand"!

He has gotten fat and slow.  Period.  I was stunned at how doughy he looked when i watched him last year.  He's lost two steps, and is easily accounted for by defenses.  There are UFA's with more promise than MJD.  He's a dinosaur at his position and he hasn't taken care of himself like the Walter Paytons and Emmit Smiths or Curtis martins of the world did to prolong their careers.  Forget the cost--he's not a great back anymore.  And good backs can be had for league minimum.

If the Jets don't sign MJD = Jets suck

If the Jets do sign MJD = Jets suck

Not saying you're wrong, but from this compilation I didn't see him get caught from behind unless he was slowed up by a defender first (or if he had to change directions to run laterally to avoid one first). 

It's subtle, and subjective.  Specifically, the run around 1:20 he gets slowed down by the safety, but he also gets pursued by three defenders.  Two of which look like they could have beat him in a foot race to the endzone, and a LB that likely could've stopped him as well.  Two years ago, MJD takes that to the house.  I still like what he would bring to the team in terms of a 1-2 punch with Ivory, and his being a receiving threat is how he could really resurrect his career here. 

It boils down to this:

MJD is an upgrade over Powell. He runs harder and faster; he's better up the middle, and can take it outside quicker. 

He is a plus pass-protector and doesn't tip off the defense as to whether it's a run/pass play. 

We could easily draft a prospect (or two, sh*t) but you never know how they'll fare against NFL level pass-rushers.  That's a big concern if you have an injury prone QB and/or a second-year guy who holds the ball too long. 

Not saying you're wrong, but from this compilation I didn't see him get caught from behind unless he was slowed up by a defender first (or if he had to change directions to run laterally to avoid one first). 

for a RB getting caught from behind means you just gained 20 Plus yards. I hope he joins us and gets caught from behind a whole lot. Why is it fans think everything in football is speed when its obviously NOT.

MJD will go to Miami or Pittsburgh. I expect the loser of that battle will get Moreno. That leaves a very weak RB market. I like LeGarrette Blount if he can keep his attitude in check. But Idzik may draft an RB in the 3rd or 4th round. 

Id take Johnson,Moreno or Blount in that order any one improves the RB position here.

FYI... If you have a good o line, you can find rb's anywhere.... 6th round picks become stars w/ a good o line.

No need to waste money on this old guy who's only getting fatter w/ low tread on his tires.

I actually mostly agree with this sentiment. A good enough o-line will make average talents look great.

Im not saying mjd is an outstanding talent but an outstanding talent with a good o-line can dominant time of possession and take over a game.

I actually mostly agree with this sentiment. A good enough o-line will make average talents look great.

Im not saying mjd is an outstanding talent but an outstanding talent with a good o-line can dominant time of possession and take over a game.

So insert any RB with a good offensive line bottom line and decent goes to great.

That's a bit of an over-generalization but yeah.

what differentiates a great back from an ordinary back is vision. Finding the small hole and avoiding tackles . Not every back has that not by a long shot. Its the reason why Some backs run for 1800 + yards and others run for 1000 ... Put McCoy or Peterson on the Jets and you have a much different result than you had with Shonn Greene or Thomas Jones and while teams did not fear those two guys and were still able to shut down our crappy WR's with one of those elite type backs teams have no choice but to play you more straight up.

what differentiates a great back from an ordinary back is vision. Finding the small hole and avoiding tackles . Not every back has that not by a long shot. Its the reason why Some backs run for 1800 + yards and others run for 1000 ... Put McCoy or Peterson on the Jets and you have a much different result than you had with Shonn Greene or Thomas Jones and while teams did not fear those two guys and were still able to shut down our crappy WR's with one of those elite type backs teams have no choice but to play you more straight up.

Agreed, Just look at Trent Richardson. That man has terrible ******* vision. No matter how good the holes are for INDY he runs into defenders. It's pathetic.

Agreed, Just look at Trent Richardson. That man has terrible ******* vision. No matter how good the holes are for INDY he runs into defenders. It's pathetic.

thats why just like everything else its so hard to judge college players. RB's usually run through gigantic holes, QB's usually play against totally outmatch opponents, and #WR's do the same.

Richardson does have terrible vision he looks like a completely differt football player.

The thing that gets me is teams still judge backs by speed and thats really not a good way to go about it. Arian Foster ran a slow 40 yet he makes people miss and he out runs players consistently. Teams need to judge football players not track atheletes

thats why just like everything else its so hard to judge college players. RB's usually run through gigantic holes, QB's usually play against totally outmatch opponents, and #WR's do the same.

Richardson does have terrible vision he looks like a completely differt football player.

The thing that gets me is teams still judge backs by speed and thats really not a good way to go about it. Arian Foster ran a slow 40 yet he makes people miss and he out runs players consistently. Teams need to judge football players not track atheletes

That's true, but for every Arian Foster, there's a Chris Johnson who wouldn't have been drafted in the first round if it wasn't for his blazing forty. Very rarely do teams use the combine as a sole measurement for their evaluation, but utilize it in addition to all the tape they've broken down.

for a RB getting caught from behind means you just gained 20 Plus yards. I hope he joins us and gets caught from behind a whole lot. Why is it fans think everything in football is speed when its obviously NOT.

Yup.

I saw him get tackled from behind, but he wasn't running at full speed when someone got close enough to him from behind.  He's running left & right, or got slowed up by an earlier would-be tackler.  

He may be slower now than he was (and I'm sure he is), but that clip was not evidence of him running in the clear and getting chased down from behind.

When Fred Jackson had that 60-yarder against us last season - the one where Richardson was celebrating because he thought Jackson was dropped back at the LOS - he ran in the clear for dozens of yards.  Cromartie ran him down on what should have been an easy TD for Buffalo.  THAT was an example of a RB getting caught from behind. MJD may have been caught in that same situation, but we didn't see any clip like that.

Archived