Rex Ryan: Watch out for the Jets.

joewilly12

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/rex-message-rest-nfl-watch-jets-article-1.1732899

ORLANDO – Rex Ryan may have stopped short of making any Super Bowl predictions Tuesday morning, but he left little doubt that he believes that his team will be a factor this season.

"Watch out for the Jets, man,” Ryan said at the league meetings. “I'm just telling you."

Two days after Woody Johnson said that “patience” won’t be a part of the Jets’ lexicon in 2014, Ryan made it clear that the time is now for Gang Green to end a three-year playoff-free stretch.

“My expectations have never changed: I want to win and I expect to win,” Ryan said. “I’ll say this: It’s time to deliver. It’s time to deliver for this community, for New York, for this entire area. We got to step up and deliver. I’m not running from it. Let’s put it that way. I expect a lot out of this football team.

Ryan has toned down the Super Bowl rhetoric in recent years, but his confidence in a team that finished 8-8 last season with a rookie quarterback is stronger than ever. Watered down Rex channeled some of the familiar bravado that made him the most entertaining head coach in the league a few years ago.

“Nobody’s really talking about us and that’s fine and dandy,” Ryan said. “They’re going to.”

On Sunday, Johnson claim that "I’m not going to use the word ‘patient’ anymore” and “we want to do it now” perhaps unwittingly put additional pressure on Ryan to take the Jets back to the playoffs for the first time since 2010.

"I feel like I have to make the playoffs... always." Ryan said. “Your goal is not to be 8-8. That’s not our goal… we want to win. This year’s no different than it’s ever been for me.”

The Jets gave Ryan de facto one-year contract extension after overachieving with a dearth of offensive talent last season. After the Jets went back-to-back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons, the Jets have gone three consecutive years without a winning record.

“Every day I pull into work, man… I still got to pinch myself,” Ryan said. “And I know a lot of guys would say this: ‘Yeah, we’re surprised that you’re a head coach still too.”

“Nobody has more fun than I do.”

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People can hate on Rex all they want, but when he makes these outlandish remarks I truly think he believes them. We didn't hear much of anything out of Rex last year because he knew that we weren't likely to be a good football team. The swag is back, and the roster is on the way.

Well they have a lot of draft picks in the first 4 rounds. You pick up 3 starters in the draft and 2 more from fa/trade/cuts and yhe the Jets are a vastly improved team from the 8-8 squad last season.

That's expecting a lot from the draft.   Richardson was great last year and should be great again this year.   The rest of the draft wasn't exactly a vast improvement.  

Winters is a work in progress and pretty much stunk all year.  Millner was benched and stunk most of the season.  He should improve, but now he's the #1 CB on a team and he couldn't even handle being the #2 or #3 guy last year.    Ivory wasn't an improvement over Greene.  Goodson was useless.  David Garrard was useless.   Hell Geno stunk for 90 percent of the season.  

So yeah you can find starters in the draft, but will they be any good if they do start?     Saying Millner, Geno or Winters were good is a lie.  They might become good, but they sure were't last year.   So if you find 3 starters like them,  a backup like Ivory (which it what he really is) it's not really an improvement.

Watch out for what?

A terrible secondary that will be exploited worse than last year?

Creating their own qb controversy w/ a guy who can't play?

Possibly signing an old washed up running back...

Won't be so difficult taking a year off it seams. 

6-10 is what they are looking at.

Rex actually likes the Jets. It seems to put him at odds with a lot of fans.

Its quite the conundrum.

It makes me wonder...if he was negative and said they sucked at every chance, would he be more popular among fans?  Oddly enough, I think it would.

People can hate on Rex all they want, but when he makes these outlandish remarks I truly think he believes them. We didn't hear much of anything out of Rex last year because he knew that we weren't likely to be a good football team. The swag is back, and the roster is on the way.

Agreed.  Swag is back.  The Jets are for real.  Idzik see's in Rex what us knowledgeable fans do.  An amazing leader, incredible Football coach and an extremely passionate devoted man.  We're very lucky fans, its a shame more of the fanbase cant see this.

Its quite the conundrum.

It makes me wonder...if he was negative and said they sucked at every chance, would he be more popular among fans? Oddly enough, I think it would.

Agreed. Swag is back. The Jets are for real. Idzik see's in Rex what us knowledgeable fans do. An amazing leader, incredible Football coach and an extremely passionate devoted man. We're very lucky fans, its a shame more of the fanbase cant see this.

how can u say this with no santonio on the team it's like we don't even want 2 win I dunno

Watch out for what?

A terrible secondary that will be exploited worse than last year?

Creating their own qb controversy w/ a guy who can't play?

Possibly signing an old washed up running back...

Won't be so difficult taking a year off it seams.

6-10 is what they are looking at.

^not a real jets fan ban him smizzy

Archived