NFL to become even bigger pussies, ban crossbar dunks

Bleedin Green

Just in time for Tony Gonzalez's retirement, the NFL is doing away with the future Hall of Famer's patented post-touchdown dunk celebration.

NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino told the "Dan Patrick Show" on Tuesday that dunking over the crossbar will be penalized, starting in the 2014 season.

There already was a rule in place against using the football as a prop in celebrations. Penalizing dunks is an enforcement of the existing rule, as opposed to a new rule on the books.

"We grandfathered in some, the Lambeau Leap and things like that. But dunking will come out," Blandino said. "Using the ball as a prop or any object as a prop, whether that's the goal post, the crossbar, that will come out and that will be a foul next season."

It's perhaps no coincidence that Blandino's revelation comes at a time when the NFL's Competition Committee is considering raising the goal posts by 5 feet.

After watching Jimmy Graham rock the crossbar off kilter last season, the league might have decided it would be easier to wreak havoc on raised goal posts, affecting game momentum and player safety.

As for Gonzalez, he's already weighed in.

Tony Gonzalez

The NFL says no more dunking over the goalpost. This one I don't understand. Looks like I got out just in time

For a league that does such a horrendously awful job of properly evaluating real penalties, you have to love that they continuously go out of their way to focus on and/or create rules about every new little piece of nonsense possible.  Apparently we wouldn't want anyone to have their feelings hurt by the other team daring to do such an unconscionable thing as show any degree of excitement over a scoring play.

Let's not even get into the fact that rules are now actually being specifically implemented to have certain teams being exempted.  Absolutely no celebrating of any kind allowed, oh, unless you're the Packers.

I never understood the need to dunk. Its just a waste of a TD celebration. Its football, not basketball. If Jimmy doesn't like it, then maybe he can go back to basketball? Im neutral about this decision.

I never understood the need to dunk. Its just a waste of a TD celebration. Its football, not basketball. If Jimmy doesn't like it, then maybe he can go back to basketball? Im neutral about this decision.

No one cared when Gonzo did it. He retires, celebration is banned. 

the problem with the dunk celebration is when the crossbar has to get re-aligned. Games shouldn't have 20 minute delays because Jimmy Graham misses his days back in the Big East tourney. 

this is one rare instance where the No Fun League change actually makes sense. 

"We grandfathered in some, the Lambeau Leap and things like that. But dunking will come out," Blandino said. "Using the ball as a prop or any object as a prop, whether that's the goal post, the crossbar, that will come out and that will be a foul next season."

So if you do not use the ball as a prop and do not the touch the crossbar when you jump you should be just fine!

So if you do not use the ball as a prop and do not the touch the crossbar when you jump you should be just fine!

That was my thought exactly.  So can you do everything just without the ball? 

A killer TD dance would be QB bounce pass without the ball to the receiver spotting up for a jumper...no ball as a prop...no foul.

That was my thought exactly.  So can you do everything just without the ball? 

A killer TD dance would be QB bounce pass without the ball to the receiver spotting up for a jumper...no ball as a prop...no foul.

Cant do that either. Staged celebration.

How about everyone does what Marshawn Lynch does; *goes back to the bench and gives a few high fives*. I never understood why there was a need for attention after you made a great play.

Dunking over the crossbar was known for being a salute to players basketball roots. Graham and Gonzalez were both college basketball players. Alvin Harper was a track and field star who excelled in the high jump. It's a harmless celebration. 

Dunking over the crossbar was known for being a salute to players basketball roots. Graham and Gonzalez were both college basketball players. Alvin Harper was a track and field star who excelled in the high jump. It's a harmless celebration. 

As Bit alluded to, when the crossbar has to be reset and games are delayed 20-30 minutes, it's not that harmless. I don't know how often they have to do this, but it doesn't seem like it's enough to make a rule about it, but I dunno, maybe it happens a lot.

If they want to make sure the guys don't f*ck up the crossbar, give em a delay of game warning or 15 yard penalty if they do it too hard.  You can still dunk, but so long as you don't hang on it or f*ck it up, it should be fine.  I see nothing wrong with it, it's the same thing as spiking the ball at the ground or wall, just you're jumping and doing it. Unless fixing the crossbar is some rampant problem, it seems like a stupid penalty.

As Bit alluded to, when the crossbar has to be reset and games are delayed 20-30 minutes, it's not that harmless. I don't know how often they have to do this, but it doesn't seem like it's enough to make a rule about it, but I dunno, maybe it happens a lot.

If they want to make sure the guys don't f*ck up the crossbar, give em a delay of game warning or 15 yard penalty if they do it too hard.  You can still dunk, but so long as you don't hang on it or f*ck it up, it should be fine.  I see nothing wrong with it, it's the same thing as spiking the ball at the ground or wall, just you're jumping and doing it. Unless fixing the crossbar is some rampant problem, it seems like a stupid penalty.

The crossbar get messed up once out of how many times this has happened. Its a rule that was already in place but they were waiting for Gonzo to retire to actually enforce. Little to do with Graham messing it up imo

I agree with the Chael Sonnen school of things. You talk sh*t before the game to get people interested. If you win act like it's not a surprise it's what you trained for. If you lose act like the most gracious mofo who ever lived.

the problem with the dunk celebration is when the crossbar has to get re-aligned. Games shouldn't have 20 minute delays because Jimmy Graham misses his days back in the Big East tourney. 

this is one rare instance where the No Fun League change actually makes sense. 

You know what's funny? Before I even read one word of your post, I instantly knew you'd be the one person defending this.

The crossbar get messed up once out of how many times this has happened. Its a rule that was already in place but they were waiting for Gonzo to retire to actually enforce. Little to do with Graham messing it up imo

I think it's bullsh*t regardless, but was hedging my bet in case it did cause frequent delays. It's hard to tell from home, so without numbers I have no idea how often it happens. Anything to speed the game up I won't complain about, but it seems like the league is just out to kick some puppies on this one.

I think it's bullsh*t regardless, but was hedging my bet in case it did cause frequent delays. It's hard to tell from home, so without numbers I have no idea how often it happens. Anything to speed the game up I won't complain about, but it seems like the league is just out to kick some puppies on this one.

idk seems quite coincidental that one of the oldest (and most liked) players the league, who clearly has a prop TD celebration retires and the celebration is totally banned....considering all of those prop celebrations had been banned a few years back because of Ochocinco

idk seems quite coincidental that one of the oldest (and most liked) players the league, who clearly has a prop TD celebration retires and the celebration is totally banned....considering all of those prop celebrations had been banned a few years back because of Ochocinco

True. I never really cared much for the dunk-celebration, sometimes it's pretty lame when the guys have to scoop the football up off the ground to then go run and dunk it. 

who gives a sh*t. you dont see guys do this sh*t in baseball....y know why? because th enext time you get up to bat the pitcher will drill you. how about high high fives, a chest bump or 2. act like you've been there before and you belong there

Hands on your heads, guys, the Football Police have arrived.

True. I never really cared much for the dunk-celebration, sometimes it's pretty lame when the guys have to scoop the football up off the ground to then go run and dunk it. 

Agreed it was kinda lame, but made sense for guys like Gonzo and Graham to do it.

who gives a sh*t. you dont see guys do this sh*t in baseball....y know why? because th enext time you get up to bat the pitcher will drill you. how about high high fives, a chest bump or 2. act like you've been there before and you belong there

no more smacks on the ass though

The NFL Sucks.

Long Live The NHL.

The NHL is the greatest spectator sport in the country. The NFL brand is dead.

I love me some NHL and I know it'll never happen, but shorten the season and let less teams in the playoffs. It's the same criticism that I have with basketball. What's the point in playing this long-ass season, when it seems like 75% of the teams make the playoffs anyway? It's one of the reasons I can't watch every Rangers game, knowing that if/when they make the playoffs I have to sit through another full season considering everything is a 7-game series.

Archived