Johnny Football Pro Day

He has a below average NFL arm, that's not false. It is an NFL arm, but it's average at best. Watch him just plant and throw without being able to scramble and drive his body into it, it's not a positive. 

Agree to disagree on that. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI

2014-03-27 16:14:36 UTC
Jets GM John Idzik attending Johnny Manziel pro day. Also catching a look at WR Mike Evans. #nyj

I just don't see any way that Evans makes it to 18, can't see him ever getting past Pitt or Baltimore at 16 and 17, respectively. I think if he slips out of the top 10 we'd have to look at NY, St. Louis or Chicago to leap frog them, which would probably cost our 3rd or maybe Tampa's 4th and something else.  

I feel like Manziel will fall in the draft and many teams will wish they had drafted him...envisioning another Aaron Rodgers moment. If that is so, do you think the Jets pick him up at 18 or let him continue to slide?

first off YES the Jets would draft him. He's from the same Air Raid system as Geno and FOles, and Marty has worked with both. 

But let's back it up a second. This guy's not gonna slide. He plays the most important position and there's 4 teams in the top 8 that absolutely need a QB. 

not to mention he's already a star and will sell a million jerseys. Which is the whole point of this. It's not to win games it's to make money.  If Tebow goes late first, Johnny goes top 5 or 10 easy. 

first off YES the Jets would draft him. He's from the same Air Raid system as Geno and FOles, and Marty has worked with both. 

But let's back it up a second. This guy's not gonna slide. He plays the most important position and there's 4 teams in the top 8 that absolutely need a QB. 

not to mention he's already a star and will sell a million jerseys. Which is the whole point of this. It's not to win games it's to make money.  If Tebow goes late first, Johnny goes top 5 or 10 easy. 

Dude, we've been over this, jersey sales are part of the leagues revenue sharing along with broadcast deals. All income from licensing deals, e.g. jerseys, shirts and beer-coozies are shared equally among ALL NFL teams. The only ground your argument has to stand on is selling more tickets, as stadium concessions are not part of the revenue sharing. 

Dude, we've been over this, jersey sales are part of the leagues revenue sharing along with broadcast deals. All income from licensing deals, e.g. jerseys, shirts and beer-coozies are shared equally among ALL NFL teams. The only ground your argument has to stand on is selling more tickets, as stadium concessions are not part of the revenue sharing. 

well then it's in everyone's interest for Manziel to sell a million jerseys then. Which doesn't exactly portend a 2nd round pick. 

well then it's in everyone's interest for Manziel to sell a million jerseys then. Which doesn't exactly portend a 2nd round pick. 

I'm not arguing whether he should be a top 10 pick or not, my feelings are pretty well documented, but your argument that it's all about jersey sales as a rationale for selecting him in the first doesn't seem to hold any water.  Why would a team use a premium pick on someone who they don't think is worth it just because they'll get 60% of his jersey sales, while the other 40% is disseminated to the rest of the league. If he's picked top 5 or 10, it's because teams think he's talented, not jersey sales. 

I'm not arguing whether he should be a top 10 pick or not, my feelings are pretty well documented, but your argument that it's all about jersey sales as a rationale for selecting him in the first doesn't seem to hold any water.  Why would a team use a premium pick on someone who they don't think is worth it just because they'll get 60% of his jersey sales, while the other 40% is disseminated to the rest of the league. If he's picked top 5 or 10, it's because teams think he's talented, not jersey sales. 

no one would use a top 10 pick on a player they don't think is worth it but if you are deciding between players, the marketing appeal of Manziel is a viable tiebreaker. 

I mean look at these teams, like if 2-14 Houston drafts Clowney or Mack how much better will they really be? They had a top 10 defense in 2012 and it wasn't so bad in 2013. The problem with these really bad teams is QB.  THe Jets too, to a certain extent. Without a QB it's a pile of rubble. Im not saying it has to be Johnny by the way at 1. It could be Bortles or Bridge. Whoever it is, it's gotta be a QB. 

He will go to the Texans. I'd love to have this guy on the Jets,

how can Texas turn this guy down ? He's a lot like Namath at the same

age, better than breeze.

There is so much wrong with this.  Pretty much everything other than that you'd like him on the Jets. 

Houston has arguably the best defender in football already, but went 2-14 cause the QB situation is dire. 

No one on ST. Louis coaching staff has ties to Sam Bradford draft pick (and he's always hurt. 

Jacksonville could take Manziel and, who knows, maybe take the tarp off the upper deck.

Cleveland is quite possibly the least popular team in the league. 

Oakland too, often faces blackouts. 

This guy, they stream his pro day and people watch it live at 11:30 EST (on a weekday, sir) and tweet about it. 

A defender doesn't have that impact on your franchise. 

BjvRWgDCEAA_Os0.jpg

I haven't seen much but Evans looks he pretty impressive.  Does anyone think Idzik would be willing to TRADE UP in this draft for him if he had to, or is that too Tannenbaum-ish?

I don't think he trades up and loses picks, not his style, and no wants our 6

rounders, at 18 the Jets get a great player, he will trade picks for vets,

Ivory worked out, De Sean Jackson for 3, maybe a vet for one of our 4's.

It doesn't have to be perfect it just has to be entertaining.  Love him or hate him, Johnny Football is extremely entertaining. 

It's entertaining till he has a 3 - 1 turnover to TD ratio at which point extremely entertaining turns into sit the little dipsh*t on the bench.

this guy creates excitement. if you are a team that needs a Qb, it's what you need to sell tickets. People forget the NFL isn't the military or some other serious pursuit. It's entertainment. there's 31 losers and 1 winner each year. It doesn't have to be perfect it just has to be entertaining.  Love him or hate him, Johnny Football is extremely entertaining. 

The reincarnation of Fran Tarkenton

I would trade Geno and half my picks to trade up for Manziel

We traded up for Sanchez

We drafted Geno at 39

Trading Geno and picks for Manziel, by comparison, would be a bold, ball-grabbing, Championship move.

Give em Eugene, #2 #3 #4 Have a nice day :winking0001:

This kid belongs in NY. He has NY written all over him. He'd have a club in Soho, a sandwich named after him and would be a rock star we haven't seen since Joe Willy.

This kid belongs in NY. He has NY written all over him. He'd have a club in Soho, a sandwich named after him and would be a rock star we haven't seen since Joe Willy.

I'd love to order a Johnny Football on Rye!

With Johnny on board, no one will miss the loss of the Big Apple Circus. Always thought Rex had a bit of PT Barnum in him. Maybe Johnny has enough mojo to reverse the Namath curse. Problem is this is like a high wire act with no net If he is a bust it's going to get very very ugly.

I feel like Manziel will fall in the draft and many teams will wish they had drafted him...envisioning another Aaron Rodgers moment. If that is so, do you think the Jets pick him up at 18 or let him continue to slide?

Perhaps, but I have the funny feeling that Manziel won't get the opportunity to spend his first 3 years sitting behind a future HOF QB.  The idea that Rodgers was still destined to have this career had he gone #1 to the 49ers is questionable to say the least.

I finally saw some highlights of Manziel's workout. That 50 yard "bomb" everybody is talking about to Mike Evans raised more red flags about his arm strength than anything else. The ball does not jump out of his hand with any great velocity and if that is the best he can do and that too in an indoor stadium I am not sure many NFL teams would like to spend a 1st round pick on him.

Archived