Chip Kelly, Andy Reid Still Think Michael Vick Can Play At High Level

flgreen

EYEON

Football

Chip Kelly, Andy Reid still think Michael Vick can play at high level

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

March 27, 2014 3:32 pm ET

Michael Vick signed with the Jets last week after the Eagles chose to let him walk in free agency. But that doesn't mean Vick's former employers don't think he's still a capable NFL quarterback.

"I still think he's got a lot of football left in him," said Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who has replaced Vick with the man he replaced in New York: Mark Sanchez. "He's got tremendous arm skill. I don't know too many guys in the league that have the arm that Mike does. There's still days in practice in December when he rips a couple and you're just like, 'Whoa.' He can throw the football. He still has the ability."

At 33, Vick may not possess the athleticism he once did, but he still remains one of the NFL's most athletic quarterbacks.

“He's probably not as fast as when he first came into the league,” Kelly continued. “But when he first came into the league, he was the fastest guy to ever play the position. A slower version of Michael is a lot faster than maybe every other quarterback in the league, with the exception of one or two."

Vick also has experience in offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's scheme dating back to their time together in Philly when Andy Reid was the coach. And Reid, like Kelly, expects Vick to have plenty of success.

"I think he can still play," said Reid, now with the Chiefs. "I'm not sure he's going in (with) that frame of mind (as Geno Smith's backup). I don't know. I think he understands the young kid is the starter. He's going to compete with him every day, but yet he'll never step on that kid's toes. That's not how he operates."

Last week, before the Jets signed Vick, coach Rex Ryan said that Smith's "going to be hard to beat out" for the starting gig. But during the annual NFL meetings this week, Ryan said the job will be wide open, and then he echoed Kelly and Reid when talking about Vick's skills.

"He's an unusual guy. He was unusual when he came out of the league because of how athletic he was but I think he's definitely still … you see all that athleticism he has," Ryan said. "He can still run, moves well in the pocket, he's more accurate when throwing from the pocket than he used to be when he came into the league. He's got a big arm and can still run so very dangerous. I like the fact that both those guys give us the ability to run zone reads and all those types of things that help your running game. Having a guy, that mobile quarterback, is harder to defend then maybe a guy who's a stationary pocket guy.

"That being said, I'd probably rather defend a mobile quarterback than a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady."

Put another way: It wouldn't be the offseason if the Jets didn't have a quarterback controversy of some description.

Topics: Geno Smith, Michael Vick, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, NFL Free Agents, Ryan Wilson, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, NFL

Good to have a backup that can play.

Vick is the best backup QB in the league.

He'll win that job at some point... And start until he gets hurt. 

Vick was the best backup in the league with PHI too.

This is how it goes: The fan loathing for his dog harming deeds. The thaw when he makes plays and scores points. The inevitable injury/fumbles and painful flameout.  That's the Mike Vick experience. 

the good news is he's never played with a Rex Ryan defense. Ryan was part of Super Bowl win with Trent Dilfer. THis team can win games. A compentant pre-flameout Mike Vick can beat any team on any day. Not just beat em... smoke em. 

He might be the most overrated QB in NFL history. Yea he ran great but sucked as a QB.

Meh, I dont think anyone views Vick as some all time great QB...so I dont know how "overrated" he is.  It's not like he's ever in the "elite" QB conversations.  He's definitely one of the most dynamic and electric QB's of all time...so I guess its your own perception.  But at no point during Mike Vick's career have I ever thought he was anything other than a playmaker who can beat you multiple ways (which is basically all he is today).

Chip Kelly and Andy Reid both needed backup QBs and both elected not to have Vick on their teams.

Says who?

You make comments like this a lot as if it indicates anything whatsoever and it really doesnt...like at all.

One of two things are going to happen here.

1)  The Jets aren't going to have a fair QB competition, and Smith is going to be forced on the team

2)  The Jets don't think that Smith is the QB of the future, and have brought Vick in to be the opening day starter.

Either way Vick is a better QB then Smith, unless Smith has a MAJOR improvement in the off season

Vick is the best backup QB in the league.

He'll win that job at some point... And start until he gets hurt. 

Vick was the best backup in the league with PHI too.

This is how it goes: The fan loathing for his dog harming deeds. The thaw when he makes plays and scores points. The inevitable injury/fumbles and painful flameout.  That's the Mike Vick experience. 

the good news is he's never played with a Rex Ryan defense. Ryan was part of Super Bowl win with Trent Dilfer. THis team can win games. A compentant pre-flameout Mike Vick can beat any team on any day. Not just beat em... smoke em. 

I think he is a very good backup to have. Not sure if he is nothing more than a lower middle of the pack starter. Having said that Rex has never had a starting QB ranked that high.

But the JETS chips are right now in Geno's corner and rightly so. Geno has to absolutely stink the bed or get hurt for Vick to put down his clipboard.

I wont be surprised if the thinking inside Florham Park right now is to get another high caliber receiving option. Either via trade of trading up in the draft if someone like Mike Evans is available at the 12-15 position. But give Geno the weapons and see what he can do with it.

I am not focused on Vick's past. He has paid his dues as prescribed by the legal system.

Chip Kelly and Andy Reid both needed backup QBs and both elected not to have Vick on their teams.

Vick was an UFA, he chose not to sign with Philly, not the other way around.  Chip Kelly also chose Matt Barkley and then Mark Sanchez as his backups, forgive me if I don't care too much about who he chooses to hold Nick Foles' jock. 

Because Vick isn't a backup QB.  He's just injured often.   Teams with starting QBs don't go searching for a backup who is a starter and says he wants to start.

Yeah,  Jets fans were screaming for Simms in preseason last year,  this season if Geno wins the starting job, it's a disaster if after wk 2 he stinks up the field.

Archived