Desean's a FA

BroadwayJets

With that being the case I would hope you didn't feel as if we had to give up anything of value to get him. Unless you agree with the poster who the initial response was to.

I would love to have this guys talent on the team.  If Marty doesn't want him, then he's poison

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the jets sign both players, you get to pick my sig for a month

nothing gross

Ok

And what about when we sign neither? Something gross?

You betting with him because I don't bet on the Jets if I did id be eating dog food and living under a train bridge.

http://overthecap.com/philadelphia-eagles-release-wr-desean-jackson/

After attempting to trade DeSean Jackson the Philadelphia Eagles have finally opted to release the star wide receiver from his contract.

Jackson had signed a $48.5 million contract in March of 2012, that was in essence a two year $18 million deal with a significant amount of backend money designed to pacify his demands for a new contract. After struggling in 2012, Jackson would bounce back to have a terrific season in 2013 where he put up over 1,300 yards. Following the season, Jackson began making some noise about a new contract in part probably because he felt underpaid compared to the deals that came after in 2013 such as Mike Wallace ($12 million a season), Dwayne Bowe ($11.2 million a season), and Percy Harvin ($12.849 million a season), players whom he compared favorably to from a statistical standpoint. Part of this may have also been agent driven as Jackson switched agents last year, which usually is a precursor to looking for a new contract such that both player and agent can financially benefit.

Jackson was set to earn $10.75 million and would carry a $12.75 million cap charge in 2014. He still has $6 million in prorated money that has to be accounted for on the salary cap. In addition Jackson had a $250,000 guarantee on his 2014 salary if he did not complete the workout program in 2012. At this time I don’t believe he earned that bonus so we will count his dead money at $6.25 million until we clarify it. The move should free up around $6 million in net cap space for Philadelphia and help clear up their books in 2015 where the Eagles salary cap allocation had been at the top of the NFL.

Jackson will likely have a difficult time finding a home that will pay him anywhere near what the other receivers mentioned above earn. All three were essentially a bust in 2013 and the WR market pulled back to the point where Jackson will be hard pressed to average the $9.7 million a year he did in Philadelphia. There are a number of warning flags with Jackson ranging from inconsistent play to perceived attitude problems to potential off the field issues. His best season will be flagged with a “system benefit” tag by many teams in the NFL. While it only takes one team to overpay for production options will be more limited now that most teams have spent their big free agent dollars.

The fact that a team would not trade for him at just over $20 million in cash for two years shows that the odds of the double digit annual value are very slim. Eric Decker only received $7.25 million from the Jets coming off back to back strong seasons in Denver and would represent the top free agent in 2014. Other more moderate salary comparison points that teams will likely use would be Victor Cruz ($8.6 million), Pierre Garcon ($8.5 million), and Antonio Brown ($8.392 million). These players all provided more value that most of the big salary players and also don’t fit the pure “number 1″ mold which Jackson also does not fit.

"Other more moderate salary comparison points that teams will likely use would be Victor Cruz ($8.6 million), Pierre Garcon ($8.5 million), and Antonio Brown ($8.392 million). These players all provided more value that most of the big salary players and also don’t fit the pure “number 1″ mold which Jackson also does not fit."

It doesn't get any dumber than this. It just doesn't. Antonio Brown had 110 catches for 1500 yards. Not sure what the "number 1" mold looks like, but I'm sure it is over six feet two and 210 lbs. ******* moronic. Jesus Christ.

"Other more moderate salary comparison points that teams will likely use would be Victor Cruz ($8.6 million), Pierre Garcon ($8.5 million), and Antonio Brown ($8.392 million). These players all provided more value that most of the big salary players and also don’t fit the pure “number 1″ mold which Jackson also does not fit."

It doesn't get any dumber than this. It just doesn't. Antonio Brown had 110 catches for 1500 yards. Not sure what the "number 1" mold looks like, but I'm sure it is over six feet two and 210 lbs. ******* moronic. Jesus Christ.

Huh, mind clarifying your point?

Huh, mind clarifying your point?

Nah.

But **** it, let me spell it out for you.

You have four guys mentioned in that paragraph, Cruz, Brown, Garcon and Jackson (by comparison). Brown caught 1500 yards in passes, Garcon 1350, Jackson 1350 and Cruz caught 1000 due to injury but has had a season in which he caught gained 1536. Not one of them is in the "number one mold". Why? Productivity? That's obviously not the trouble. Not the number one target on their respective teams? Nope, not the issue. God, what else do all these guys have in common? I can't for the life of me figure it out. Can you?

Nah.

Just confuse on your stance to be honest. Brown caught 69 receptions for 1,108 yards before getting his money and is only 5'10 180 lbs. However you insist number one receiver should fit in the mold of being 6 feet 210 lbs. then your flipping out and it hard to get a read on where you were going with your comments.

The Jets have the money and the need for a player like DeSean Jackson. I don't want to hear about Idzik's long term plans players like him don't become available too often. If the Jets organization wants to end the 45 year drought they sign him if not continue counting...................

Just confuse on your stance to be honest. Brown caught 69 receptions for 1,108 yards before getting his money and is only 5'10 180 lbs. However you insist number one receiver should fit in the mold of being 6 feet 210 lbs. then your flipping out and it hard to get a read on where you were going with your comments.

I decided to elaborate. Go back and read. I'm getting breakfast.

The bad news is the Chiefs and Eric Berry are trying to restructure his contract to create more cap space.

They have $45 mil tied up on 4 guys!

They have about $4.6m in cap space now.

Berry counts about $11 mil.

The Jets can sign Jackson and Johnson and still have money leftover. Lets see what kind of GM Idzik is.

Who's Johnson?  What are you referencing?

Never mind, I saw on another thread - Chris. 

Idzik's approach of being patient could pay off here as most teams in the market for a RB have already gotten one and/or have already spent their cash.

I thought most cap casualties had already taken place.  Maybe I was wrong. 

Who's Johnson?  What are you referencing?

Chris Johnson.

A quick primer since you're new... Joewilly12 thinks that the Jets should sign any player whom he's ever heard of.  If they do not sign him Idzik is an idiot who doesn't care about winning or doesn't know what it takes to win.

Like Stephen Hill?

No , like Jeremy Kerley. Let's not forget ...... we have Kerley , Nelson and Decker. We need a #1 & still need a TE. Enron is not a far stretch , if Jackson winds up being a cancer , do we want to ruin that chemistry ? We have a chance at something big here for a long time.

NY Jets GM John Idzik has yet to contact DeSean Jackson but market for WR develops That doesn’t mean the Jets aren’t interested. The News reported on Friday that some in the organization were still interested in pursuing Jackson, and with nearly $30 million in cap room, the Jets have the space to add him.

Latest report is that the Chiefs, once considered one of the favorites for Jackson, are now out of the running after doing research into Jackson's off the field behavior. There may very well be more to this story than we know of at this time. Jackson is set to visit Washington. If Washington doesn't blow him out of the water with an offer, his market may be worse than originally expected...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs have dropped out of the running for free agent DeSean Jackson.

This should send up an immediate red flag to other interested teams, based on coach Andy Reid's history with Jackson. Kansas City also has a wide receiver need. Per RapSheet, the Chiefs "did research" on D-Jax, and opted against signing him. Jackson is scheduled to visit the Redskins on Monday. Many national reporters expect Dan Snyder to out-bid the field for 27-year-old Jackson.

Archived