Don't expect Jets to sign DeSean Jackson

Cmartin

Don’t expect the Jets to be players in the sweepstakes for DeSean Jackson.

Jackson, who was released by the Eagles on Friday, has been rumored to be a target of the Jets since trade rumors about him surfaced last week. Owner Woody Johnson admitted at last week’s owners meeting that the team was exploring the possibility of a trade.

But one team source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Metro New York that Jackson “is a long shot to land here.”

While the three-time Pro Bowler would add an instant playmaker to their wide receiver corps, Jackson may not be seen as a good fit with the team.

“He isn’t a ‘John Idzik guy’ – not what fits here right now” the source said, referring to the Jets’ general manager who has been restrained this offseason.

RELATED ARTICLES

Jackson has character concerns, according to a report by ESPN.com. Another report on Friday by NJ.com claims he has ties with gangs. Jackson denied any claims of gang ties through a statement to ESPN.

Jackson, who had 1,332 receiving yards and nine touchdowns in 2013, could give the Jets a new dynamic as a potential target for quarterback Geno Smith or former Eagles teammate Mike Vick, who signed with the Jets as a free agent.

The deal could also affect cap space down the road.

“The team has shown great discipline this offseason, despite having plenty of cap space,” the source said. “This is done with some big contracts due down the road — players such as [Muhammad] Wilkerson and Jeremy Kerley, among others. If he is signed, then DeSean can cut into that flexibility. But more than that, he isn’t a good fit with what the Jets are trying to do right now. It isn’t to say that there are red flags about his character, but the team is proceeding cautiously and has done due diligence. There are no indications that, right now, the Jets will be a major player for his services. If there is interest, it would be an incentive-laden deal.”

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2014/03/28/source-jets-unlikely-sign-desean-jackson/#sthash.V4YeLNhd.dpuf

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not an Idzik guy? Why? Cuz of character concerns? Was Revis an Idzik guy? He had no character issue. That was Woody's call, and will this be. Woody wants him. The only question is, how much?

“This is done with some big contracts due down the road — players such as [Muhammad] Wilkerson and Jeremy Kerley, among others

LO fcuking L

Well, Kerley isn't signing a 4 year $3mil deal...more like the type Hartline signed (5 years $30mil). I'd say 4 years $20mil or so.

Well, Kerley isn't signing a 4 year $3mil deal...more like the type Hartline signed (5 years $30mil). I'd say 4 years $20mil or so.

That's a big reach. What has he really done to get 5 a year? Good player but not worth 5 a year yet

That's a big reach. What has he really done to get 5 a year? Good player but not worth 5 a year yet

He's done' really well for being in this offense, arguably a bottom 5-10 passing offense over his entire tenure. $5mil would be a good contract.

Remember when you all loved Dyer because he didn't use anonymous sources? Suckers.

From the pronouns used, it sounds like he interviewed Eric Allen.

I wish I didn't laugh when you wrote this stuff, but that was good.

“This is done with some big contracts due down the road — players such as [Muhammad] Wilkerson and Jeremy Kerley, among others

LO fcuking L

You would think we were the only team with a Wilkerson and a Kerley worth of drafted talent to re-sign. In fact, we probably have about the same or even less drafted talent to re-sign than an average team.

Oh and by the way, Dyer is the same guy that kept telling us throughout week 1 and week 2 of free agency to "be patient," that Idzik was surely going to do SOMETHING even if it wasn't this splashy. Well, he hasn't done that something so what now?

You would think we were the only team with a Wilkerson and a Kerley worth of drafted talent to re-sign. In fact, we probably have about the same or even less drafted talent to re-sign than an average team.

Oh and by the way, Dyer is the same guy that kept telling us throughout week 1 and week 2 of free agency to "be patient," that Idzik was surely going to do SOMETHING even if it wasn't this splashy. Well, he hasn't done that something so what now?

talent ?  did you say talent ?

untitled_zps47757ac7.png

The idea that you wouldn't sign one of he top 5-7 (arguably) receivers in football with 30 mil in cap space and the cap going up another 17 mil in the next two years because you have to resign Jeremy Kerley is one of the dumbest things I've ever read from a reporter.

Awww I wanted to see the Jets put together a remake of the Longest Yard.  Maybe woody can visit Aaron Hernandez and give him the Plaxico Burress treatment!  Wrecks can play the warden.  Jets 2014: Inmates run the asylums edition... wait that is every year with Wrecks.

Idzick does have a viable plan! not many of you can see it for what it is, strategy! let other teams sign these overpriced/troublesome and or both douchebag free agents and what does this allow the Jets to do. maybe have a guy on their board fall to them because some other team made a "big splash" in free agency for a goin on has been player. And we possibly get the player we covet!

Wait a minute.  4 yrs $20 mil.  $5M per year for Jeremy Kerley?  Nice player but I'll pass. 

Awww I wanted to see the Jets put together a remake of the Longest Yard.  Maybe woody can visit Aaron Hernandez and give him the Plaxico Burress treatment!  Wrecks can play the warden.  Jets 2014: Inmates run the asylums edition... wait that is every year with Wrecks.

Yes because what we've been doing for the last 45 years has brought us so many Championships

Metro? Kristian Dyer? Never heard of either one of them.

Dyer is one of the few Pro Jets beat writers.  He generally writes semi upbeat articles on the Jets.   Don't think he is a guy who is going to make up sources.  Some one on the Jets said this,  Of course it could be smoke

If Idzik is squashing it.  Not crazy about the decision.  If Marty is squashing it because the guy is a jerk, I'm OK with the decision.

We'll see

The Jets need a guy like DeSean Jackson imagine how much better the defense will play knowing we have a viable explosive points scoring offense.

I feel bad for our D. Sure, they sometimes crumble and play too much prevent allowing garbage scores. But still. Usually they put in great performances and still see our get the L cause our offensive is anemic. Jackson, Decker, Kerley, Nelson.. Hill (if he grows a pair), and then another draftee or scumbag like Holmes for cheap. Suddenly our offensive isn't so funny.

Archived