Don't expect Jets to sign DeSean Jackson

Cmartin

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STOP Idzik has found the answer to our WR problems.

Free agent Jacoby Ford visited the Jets on Monday.

Ford was linked to the Jets two weeks ago, but it's his first-known visit. Ford has play-making ability on offense and special teams, but is among the league's most-brittle players. Any deal will include little guaranteed money.

STOP Idzik has found the answer to our WR problems.

Free agent Jacoby Ford visited the Jets on Monday.

Ford was linked to the Jets two weeks ago, but it's his first-known visit. Ford has play-making ability on offense and special teams, but is among the league's most-brittle players. Any deal will include little guaranteed money.

he's famous and fast, you should have a boner for this guy !!!!

The one thing that I can take from this offseason so far regarding Idzik is that it looks like he has a much better handle on Woody than Tannenbaum did. By most accounts it looks like Woody wanted to spend and he definitely wanted Jackson.

If the old regime was still at the helm, Desean would not only be a Jet already, but Philly would have swindled a 3rd/conditional 2nd out of us.

The one thing that I can take from this offseason so far regarding Idzik is that it looks like he has a much better handle on Woody than Tannenbaum did. By most accounts it looks like Woody wanted to spend and he definitely wanted Jackson.

If the old regime was still at the helm, Desean would not only be a Jet already, but Philly would have swindled a 3rd/conditional 2nd out of us.

Agree with this, but the one part I can't reconcile is bring Rex back as a day laborer. If Idzik wanted him, you'd have to think he'd have a firm three year deal.

Agree with this, but the one part I can't reconcile is bring Rex back as a day laborer.

It's the same principle as the Decker signing. The general rule is to avoid free agency, but the biggest reason to make exceptions is to maintain a certain level of minimum competency to avoid stagnation. You want to build through the draft but you can't let things get so bad in one area that it impedes your ability to develop the rest of the roster. Rex is here to prop up the defense while we restock the back end. If we're able to come up with workarounds for administration and the offense so we can retain the system and have continuity going forward, so much the better, but it's not like Idzik is banking on it because in the bigger picture we're still waiting around for Brady to drop dead anyway.

It's the same principle as the Decker signing. The general rule is to avoid free agency, but the biggest reason to make exceptions is to maintain a certain level of minimum competency to avoid stagnation. You want to build through the draft but you can't let things get so bad in one area that it impedes your ability to develop the rest of the roster. Rex is here to prop up the defense while we restock the back end. If we're able to come up with workarounds for administration and the offense so we can retain the system and have continuity going forward, so much the better, but it's not like Idzik is banking on it because in the bigger picture we're still waiting around for Brady to drop dead anyway.

This pretty much reconciles it for me. Thanks.

Looks like the Niners are trying to Idzik Jackson right now. I guess he left a systemic cheapness that made its way down the west coast in the wake of his departure. 

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports the 49ers are only interested in free agent DeSean Jackson if the price is right.
CSN Bay Area expressed similar thoughts, while ESPN's Adam Schefter calls the 49ers' interest in Jackson "real" but "guarded." The 49ers are only about $5 million under the salary cap and don't have a ton of money to throw around. They're also already paying significant dollars to all three of Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, and Vernon Davis. With Jackson probably eyeing $6-10 million annually, it just doesn't quite add up. The Redskins remain the most logical landing spot for Jackson. Cleveland has money but might be a long shot.
Related: Browns, Redskins, 49ers Source: NFL.com Apr 1 - 2:16 PM

Archived