EVERYTHING CHRIS JOHNSON: MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't catch more balls than are thrown to you. There's a philosophical difference in how Munchak wants his offense run vs how Sean Payton, Trestman and McCoy do with their respective teams.  Of course Sproles, Forte and Woodhead will have more receptions when they have 30-40+ more targets.  You have to look at what the players do with the ball once they get it and Johnson is pretty dangerous in space.

That's fine, but that's only one side of the equation. Conversely, when you're a player like Sproles, you're going to get more passes thrown your way. If the only thing that mattered was offensive philosophy and coaching, then how come Geno almost never threw in Chris Ivory's direction? Geno wouldn't throw to Ivory because MM was his OC, but he will throw to Johnson because... MM is his OC?

Forte, Sproles, Pierre Thomas and Woodhead all had about twice as many receptions as that last season. Not saying he's not an upgrade over a guy like Ivory who couldn't catch a cold, just not sure it's as eye popping a move as people seem to think.

I was going to reply, but Broadway covered it pretty well below.  Besides Sproles, every one of those guys had their best receiving season in 2013 and their other years were pretty similar to what CJ brings to the table.

You can't catch more balls than are thrown to you. There's a philosophical difference in how Munchak wants his offense run vs how Sean Payton, Trestman and McCoy do with their respective teams.  Of course Sproles, Forte and Woodhead will have more receptions when they have 30-40+ more targets.  You have to look at what the players do with the ball once they get it and Johnson is pretty dangerous in space.

That's fine, but that's only one side of the equation. Conversely, when you're a player like Sproles, you're going to get more passes thrown your way. If the only thing that mattered was offensive philosophy and coaching, then how come Geno almost never threw in Chris Ivory's direction? Geno wouldn't throw to Ivory because MM was his OC, but he will throw to Johnson because... MM is his OC?

Because Ivory couldn't catch and Johnson can. Geno didn't throw it to Ivory, but he did throw a lot to Powell and Bohanon, so I would imagine it is due more to lack of trust with Ivory than Geno and MM not throwing to RBs.

I was going to reply, but Broadway covered it pretty well below.  Besides Sproles, every one of those guys had their best receiving season in 2013 and their other years were pretty similar to what CJ brings to the table.

See above.

By no means did I suggest that CJ isn't a threat in the passing game, he's just not as dynamic of a weapon as those guys. Not at his age. That's all I'm saying.

Because Ivory couldn't catch and Johnson can. Geno didn't throw it to Ivory, but he did throw a lot to Powell and Bohanon, so I would imagine it is due more to lack of trust with Ivory than Geno and MM not throwing to RBs.

Once again, begging the question.

Sources: Free-agent RB Chris Johnson visiting NY Jets' facility on Tuesday

The Jets are one of three teams interested in signing the three-time Pro Bowl former Tennessee Titans running back, according to a source. Now, they'll have the first crack at him. Sources say he took a physical at the Jets' facility Tuesday.

BY MANISH MEHTA    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 9:21 AM Updated: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 3:53 PM A A A

Chris Johnson is a free agent after the Tennessee Titans released the three-time Pro Bowler.

The Jets are closing in on adding an explosive offensive weapon to a team with realistic playoff hopes in 2014.

One week after the Titans released Chris Johnson, the three-time Pro Bowl running back is visiting the Jets on Tuesday, according to sources.

The Daily News reported on Monday night that the Jets were one of a few serious suitors in talks with the veteran. The initial buzz surrounding Johnson after he became a free agent may have faded in recent days, but the Jets always viewed him as a backfield upgrade worth pursuing.

General manager John Idzik & Co. inquired about trading for Johnson this offseason before Tennessee ultimately cut him, according to a source.

Johnson, who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in January to repair a meniscus tear, took a physical at the Jets facility Tuesday, according to sources. He passed a physical administered by the Titans a week and a half ago before the team parted ways with him.

The Jets have no concerns about Johnson’s work ethic since his production has declined in recent years. The team’s brain trust views the 28-year-old Johnson as a solid complement to Chris Ivory. The Jets believe that Ivory and Johnson can be a formidable backfield tandem that can inject life into an offense that struggled at times with a rookie quarterback last season. The Jets were sixth in rushing (and fifth in rushing attempts) in 2013, but 31st in passing offense with Geno Smith.

Johnson isn’t the same player that rushed for 2,006 yards in 2009, but he can still add a dimension that was missing from Marty Mornhinweg’s offense last year. Johnson, who has rushed for at least 1,000 yards in each of his six seasons, would give Rex Ryan’s team a home-run threat in the backfield.

Johnson made his second trip from his home in Orlando to the New York/New Jersey area in a week. The News reported last week that he was in New York, but visiting the Jets facility wasn’t on his itinerary for that trip. This time he came to the Garden State only to visit the Jets.

Idzik has taken a methodical approach to free agency this offseason despite a football-field sized amount of salary cap space. He left a cavernous hole in Ryan’s secondary by missing out on the handful of quality veteran cornerbacks on the market, but made a couple wise signings (Eric Decker and Michael Vick) at the offensive skill positions.

Three teams are interested in signing Johnson, according to sources, but the Jets have first crack. Although Idzik has $26 million of remaining salary cap space, he won’t have to break the bank to get Johnson. The depressed running back market in free agency made it a no brainer for the Jets to pursue Johnson, who rushed for 7.965 career yards and 50 touchdowns.

Ivory’s durability concerns also made it a slam dunk for the Jets to try to lock up Johnson, who has played every in every game for the past five seasons. Although Johnson is coming off a season with a career-low 3.9 yards per carry, he can be effective in myriad ways.

Johnson has 272 career receptions, including 42 for 345 yards and four touchdowns last season. No matter how Johnson gets the ball, he’s still dangerous in space.

Johnson’s arrival would almost certainly mean the end of Mike Goodson’s forgettable one-year stint that included an arrest, four-game league suspension and season-ending knee injury. Goodson is still entangled in legal proceedings stemming from an arrest last summer and rehabbing a torn ACL

If the Jets add Johnson, Goodson would likely be a goner at some point before the start of the regular season. Bilal Powell, who nearly had a 1,000 total yards last season, would be the No. 3 running back on the depth chart.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/sources-free-agent-rb-chris-johnson-visiting-jets-article-1.1756649#ixzz2yzbpYJuy

See above.

By no means did I suggest that CJ isn't a threat in the passing game, he's just not as dynamic of a weapon as those guys. Not at his age. That's all I'm saying.

Scheme wise MM wants to run stretch plays with moving pockets and cutback lanes and probably more screens then they ran last year due to not having the right style RB in. CJ really makes a lot of sense and I would bet if healthy and motivated, can play at a pro bowl level...if Winters cuts down his mistakes and improves like we hope and they draft a WR who can stretch the field like Cooks or Paul Richardson...both whom would fit scheme very well.  

Not sure if I want Johnson or not, but I don't think it's radical to argue that it doesn't make sense to pay guys that aren't necessary. What can Johnson bring to a crowded backfield and an offense that is still going to have the line stacked against it every week? Maybe 3, 4 extra plays that a 4th or 5th rounder or Powell couldn't get us? Is that worth an extra couple mill per year?

Good Point.

I think with Ivorys extensive injury history and Bilals mediocracy...the 4 mil per for 2 yrs isnt restricting us from making any other moves.

See above.

You mentioned Woodhead yourself.  The guy was never good for more than 40 balls in NE, with Whisenhunt he catches 76.  Johnson is 9 months younger, so I don't see why should be worried about Johnson's age.

As succinctly as possible: Ivory cannot catch well, Johnson can catch well. You don't design plays that have a low percentage to work. He's not as bad as feet-for-hands Shonn Greene, but Ivory doesn't seem at all adept at receiving the ball, he's just not fluid at it. 

Look at LT: he had two years where he had 80 and 100 receptions, followed by the rest of his career averaging something like 50. It's all about scheme. Just look at what Johnson does with the ball when he does get it, that's all you need to care about.

Not sure if I want Johnson or not, but I don't think it's radical to argue that it doesn't make sense to pay guys that aren't necessary. What can Johnson bring to a crowded backfield and an offense that is still going to have the line stacked against it every week? Maybe 3, 4 extra plays that a 4th or 5th rounder or Powell couldn't get us? Is that worth an extra couple mill per year?

While I'd like to address RB via the draft, as I don't typically like giving out second or third contracts to them, I think Johnson would offer more initially than a rookie, just via his blitz pickup. Rookies usually struggle early on in that aspect. I know MM and Rex love having Powell in there because of how adept he is in that phase of the game, but he just doesn't seem to be dynamic enough to earn 200 touches a season. I suspect you'd see significantly more production from Johnson if he had those same 200+ touches that Powell had. 

Good Point.

I think with Ivorys extensive injury history and Bilals mediocracy...the 4 mil per for 2 yrs isnt restricting us from making any other moves.

I don't think it's about financial restrictions as a consequence, obviously that's not the case with this offseason and probably not 2015 either. The issue is really whether or not Johnson is going to give you more than a rookie for $500k and Powell will. I believe Johnson would for only 2014, I'm just not sure about how much and if that's worth another couple million.

While I'd like to address RB via the draft, as I don't typically like giving out second or third contracts to them, I think Johnson would offer more initially than a rookie, just via his blitz pickup. Rookies usually struggle early on in that aspect. I know MM and Rex love having Powell in there because of how adept he is in that phase of the game, but he just doesn't seem to be dynamic enough to earn 200 touches a season. I suspect you'd see significantly more production from Johnson if he had those same 200+ touches that Powell had. 

Maybe, again I'm not sure. The great thing about the Decker contract is that even if you're getting the production of a secondary receiver from him, it's still a good value based on what he's earning. With Johnson, I'm not so sure simply because it's such a mystery for what he has left in the tank. If you're getting the production of a 3rd RB with a few home runs throughout the season, IMO that's less valuable than the combination of a mid-round rookie who costs 1/5 the price and deferring to Powell a little more.

The New York Daily News reports there were "good vibes all around" for free Chris Johnson's Tuesday visit with the Jets.

According to reporter Manish Mehta, it was a "productive" day. It's unclear if the visit will extend into Wednesday, but the Jets remain the odds-on favorite to land the ex-Titan. If Johnson escapes the Big Apple without a deal, it's unknown where he'd head next.

I don't think it's about financial restrictions as a consequence, obviously that's not the case with this offseason and probably not 2015 either. The issue is really whether or not Johnson is going to give you more than a rookie for $500k and Powell will. I believe Johnson would for only 2014, I'm just not sure about how much and if that's worth another couple million.

Maybe, again I'm not sure. The great thing about the Decker contract is that even if you're getting the production of a secondary receiver from him, it's still a good value based on what he's earning. With Johnson, I'm not so sure simply because it's such a mystery for what he has left in the tank. If you're getting the production of a 3rd RB with a few home runs throughout the season, IMO that's less valuable than the combination of a mid-round rookie who costs 1/5 the price and deferring to Powell a little more.

One thing I will add is that if the medical passes he's probably good to go. Jets med staff and facilities are second to none. Every franchise I root for is sh*t, but I do wish the Knicks and Mets would follow suit in that regard. It makes one hell of a difference.

at some point its ok to spend some money. chris johnson is a good player. we are not the patriots. we cant just lowball every free agent and expect them to want to sign with us anyway.....we dont have that kind of reputation as a place to go where you take less money because you have a good chance of winning. here you take less money and you have a good chance of sucking

Archived