EVERYTHING CHRIS JOHNSON: MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

I like Chris Johnson, hard not to appreciate his talent.  I m not concerned if we don't get him, but if we do, he sure couldn't hurt our offense, and BTW , He sure can run!!!!!   I have a good feeling about the way we are getting younger, faster, and more explosive.  I have a REAL good vibe about this team for 2014!!!   I honestly believe in this team.  Safety is critical though!  Also, I thought that Special Teams took a step back.  That's very UN-Jet like.  Going out on a ledge,  JETS WIN AFC EAST!!!!  I really like what we did last year.  All those experts had us with 2 wins!!  Colin Cowherd couldn't wait to call us a dumpster fire everyday, Our own Post / Daily News had us as clowns in clown cars!!!   Everyone piled on.  Francessa Loved it!!  Shows what they know.  We missed the playoffs, probably by ONE GAME!!!   I believe its OUR TURN !!!   Just wait and see!!!  I've been waiting a LONNNGGGGG time, but get your popcorn ready!!     GO JETS!!! 

:drama:                                           

Home run threats bring excitement Real backs shut down games in the 4th Quarter. Its the same comparision if you compare Barrry Sanders to Emmitt Smith. Barry was the better pure runner with the break ways speed Emmitt was the guy who put up 60 yards in the 4th Quarter keeping the ball out of the opposing offenses hands. Do you want excitement or do you want shut down ?

Seems like a strange comment for a guy with Johnny Football in his sig.

Barry didn't exactly have the same guys around him as Smith.  The Jets already have that kind of back in Ivory and Johnson has been fairly reliable in the past.  I don't see how anybody could be too against this beyond cost.  I don't want to spend on the guy, but to add speed and receiving out of the backfield it is tough to argue that he wouldn't help.  I'd probably prefer to go with what we have and add a guy in the draft if we want to upgrade.

Seems like a strange comment for a guy with Johnny Football in his sig.

Barry didn't exactly have the same guys around him as Smith.  The Jets already have that kind of back in Ivory and Johnson has been fairly reliable in the past.  I don't see how anybody could be too against this beyond cost.  I don't want to spend on the guy, but to add speed and receiving out of the backfield it is tough to argue that he wouldn't help.  I'd probably prefer to go with what we have and add a guy in the draft if we want to upgrade.

Dom he would be a huge addition and would transform this offense just because of his pass catching ability alone. And your right we do have other backs who can ram it down teams throats in the 4th Qtr. to shut down games. Ivory Johnson Powell and if Goodsen stays would be a formidable backfield something I've been calling for for years.

Home run threats bring excitement Real backs shut down games in the 4th Quarter. Its the same comparision if you compare Barrry Sanders to Emmitt Smith. Barry was the better pure runner with the break ways speed Emmitt was the guy who put up 60 yards in the 4th Quarter keeping the ball out of the opposing offenses hands. Do you want excitement or do you want shut down ?

You take Barry Sanders.

You take Barry Sanders.

matter of opinion. I know Emmitt benefited from a great O Line but in the 4th Quarter when games were close Emmitt consistently gained that 5 to 7 yard to slowly eat away clock ....Barry on the other hand has one of the worst traits which is getting caught behind the Line of scrimmage. He gained his yards in large chunks where Emmitt gained his in small consistent chunks. You want excitement you go Barry you want to win you go Emmitt.

matter of opinion. I know Emmitt benefited from a great O Line but in the 4th Quarter when games were close Emmitt consistently gained that 5 to 7 yard to slowly eat away clock ....Barry on the other hand has one of the worst traits which is getting caught behind the Line of scrimmage. He gained his yards in large chunks where Emmitt gained his in small consistent chunks. You want excitement you go Barry you want to win you go Emmitt and Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin and Larry Allen and Nate Newton and Deion Sanders and Erik Williams and bingo, you're a winner.

matter of opinion. I know Emmitt benefited from a great O Line but in the 4th Quarter when games were close Emmitt consistently gained that 5 to 7 yard to slowly eat away clock ....Barry on the other hand has one of the worst traits which is getting caught behind the Line of scrimmage. He gained his yards in large chunks where Emmitt gained his in small consistent chunks. You want excitement you go Barry you want to win you go Emmitt.

Yes and no.  Put Emmitt on the Lions for 10 years and then see how much he'd have consistently gained 5 to 7 yards to close out games (more myth than reality, but there's no denying he was massively successful).  Then put Barry on Dallas and tell me he still leads the league in rushes for lost yards.  I know their style was very different, but the teams around them were so different it's difficult to say anything definitive about what either would have been in different situations.

For all you know, Emmitt on the Lions for 10 years means no HOF, and forget about 18000 yards or whatever he finished with.  The difference between a giant hole being formed in front of a RB, and having to make something out of nothing far more often for another one, is not subtle.  It's all the difference in the world.  

Had Barry played on Dallas, we may have seen a 2400-yard season.  We may have seen him finish a season with a 6.5 or 7.0 ypc average.  Then again, we may not have.  My point is only that the style Sanders employed in his career was often borne of necessity.  If they needed a yard or two and gave him the ball, Barry didn't dance around like a jackass and take a loss while trying to get 50 instead.

In this analogy, the Jets would have both. CJ would be your Barry Sanders, and Ivory would be your Emmitt Smith.

The two biggest moves John Idzik made last year were at RB, with Ivory and Goodson. With Goodson questionable both because of his knee and legal troubles, this is a move I could really see the Jets making. The team that ultimately signs Johnson will have to offer him two things: money and touches. More than anything, I think the Jets need a RB who can give you 40 catches a year. It would open up the offense a lot, and give (hopefully) Geno a much needed safety valve. If the Jets sign CJ, I'd fully expect it to be as the team's primary back. Ivory would rotate in on some first and second downs, short yardage situations, and churning out the fourth quarter, but Johnson will be the starter.

In this analogy, the Jets would have both. CJ would be your Barry Sanders, and Ivory would be your Emmitt Smith.

The two biggest moves John Idzik made last year were at RB, with Ivory and Goodson. With Goodson questionable both because of his knee and legal troubles, this is a move I could really see the Jets making. The team that ultimately signs Johnson will have to offer him two things: money and touches. More than anything, I think the Jets need a RB who can give you 40 catches a year. It would open up the offense a lot, and give (hopefully) Geno a much needed safety valve. If the Jets sign CJ, I'd fully expect it to be as the team's primary back. Ivory would rotate in on some first and second downs, short yardage situations, and churning out the fourth quarter, but Johnson will be the starter.

Dom he would be a huge addition and would transform this offense just because of his pass catching ability alone. And your right we do have other backs who can ram it down teams throats in the 4th Qtr. to shut down games. Ivory Johnson Powell and if Goodsen stays would be a formidable backfield something I've been calling for for years.

Yep I feel the same way Slats.

@Sperm when It comes to Barry I always looked at him having incredible elusive talent but behind the LOS he may have had vision issues not seeing the holes as good as some backs which his talent and speed made up for. We will never know of course but many ways to look at it. Also Emmitt had no problem putting his head down and barreling into defenders to gain that extra 2 to 3 yards which was something Barry never really did, That's what makes the big 4th Quarter difference IMO

Edited by Smashmouth

Whether CJ is a good signing comes down to the contract.  While he is CJ2K no more, the guy can still run and is always breakaway threat -- perfect to pair up with Ivory.  He suits up every week and can catch the ball.  Not mentioned much is the fact that he is a very good pass blocker for his size.  At this stage of his career, getting enough touches to make him happy does not mean making him a 3 down back.  So long as they don't pay him the moon or commit to a long term deal, it would be hard to miss with this signing.

Whether CJ is a good signing comes down to the contract.  While he is CJ2K no more, the guy can still run and is always breakaway threat -- perfect to pair up with Ivory.  He suits up every week and can catch the ball.  Not mentioned much is the fact that he is a very good pass blocker for his size.  At this stage of his career, getting enough touches to make him happy does not mean making him a 3 down back.  So long as they don't pay him the moon or commit to a long term deal, it would be hard to miss with this signing.

It's practically impossible for me to imagine Idzik signing any player to a contract that we'd think was unreasonable. Much more likely is that CJ signs somewhere else for a deal that seems reasonable, but Idzik wasn't willing to go that high.

It's practically impossible for me to imagine Idzik signing any player to a contract that we'd think was unreasonable. Much more likely is that CJ signs somewhere else for a deal that seems reasonable, but Idzik wasn't willing to go that high.

If the reports of the Jets coming closest to making a trade for him are true, you never know what is percolating on both sides contract-wise.  If the reports were accurate, we may have news one way or the other in about five hours.  I could see CJ liking his fit here as much as the Jets see him as a good fit.

Edited by Il Mostro

Yep, loosely obviously. Throwing a Johnson into a random vacuum where it's either/or (completely ignoring there's no Smith even potentially available anyway) and assuming he's the lesser just doesn't make sense to me.

Not talking about Powell enough when it comes to RBs who can catch. 36 receptions in only 212 offensive touches last year. Having two guys who can catch passes out of the backfield wouldn't hurt, and I like Powell a bit as a third back.

Basically, signing Johnson gives them incredible depth at RB. Ryan rode Jones and Greene to an AFCCG appearance twice, so I'm down to see what this offense can do with two guys with bigger talent (not to mention a much more likable young QB).

I guess it comes down to the gap  between the contract teams are willing to offer for Chris Johnson and what he is expecting.

Most teams interested would like to have a incentive laden deal done with minimal guarantees and that too at the most at medium cost unless the Redskins have more room left on their cap.

If the Chris Johnson camp is really motivated for a higher end deal that i wont be surprised if he has to wait till after the draft. If some RB needy team cannot get one via draft they would be more interested in CJ2K.

For the JETS paying him top dollar now does not make sense. Its not a position they of NEED like the CB position and they have 12 picks. So a 2 yr deal at 10 mill with 1 mill per year guarantee should be the most they should do.

If we were to sign Johnson it would be exciting just to see what MM would do with all three running backs. I remember during the Atlanta game, the first game that Goodson was back from suspension Marty came out with various formations that caused confusion for the defense and got some chunks for the offense. I remember there was a time where Goodson, Ivory, and Powell were on the field at the same time. You put Johnson into that mix, you can create a lot of opportunities.

We need a terminator type FB

who scares people,could also be a valuable tight end block option.

Agreed. There is a kid name Myers who plays FB like that out of Curtis Community College, a small school in Haddonfield, Illinois. He absolutely kills linebackers out in space on blocks, opens huge holes that gash the 2nd level of the defense while the RB slashes his way to huge gains. It's not a big program, but Sam Loomis the RBs guy coaching him, has a reputation for being one of the best in the business at that level. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed. There is a kid name Myers who plays FB like that out of Curtis Community College, a small school in Haddonfield, Illinois. He absolutely kills linebackers out in space on blocks, opens huge holes that gash the 2nd level of the defense while the RB slashes his way to huge gains. It's not a big program, but Sam Loomis the RBs guy coaching him, has a reputation for being one of the best in the business at that level. 

I was reading up on him back in the fall -- kid can't be stopped.  His 3rd year was a real let down, like he was a completely different player.  Definitely came back with a vengeance though.

The New York Daily News reports the Jets have no concerns about free agent Chris Johnson's work ethic.

The Jets have been considered one of Johnson's potential suitors since before his release, but have yet to be officially linked to the ex-Titan. Word of potential visits has yet to leak, but CJ?K is reportedly hoping to find his new team by the middle of the week. With Johnson's track record well known and the free-agent barrel scraped bare, it shouldn't take long for him to sign.
  • Thumb Down 1

The New York Daily News reports the Jets have no concerns about free agent Chris Johnson's work ethic.

The Jets have been considered one of Johnson's potential suitors since before his release, but have yet to be officially linked to the ex-Titan. Word of potential visits has yet to leak, but CJ?K is reportedly hoping to find his new team by the middle of the week. With Johnson's track record well known and the free-agent barrel scraped bare, it shouldn't take long for him to sign.
  • Thumb Down 1