EVERYTHING CHRIS JOHNSON: MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

I have been reading this forum for a while now. Finally signed up because this forum is the most jaded group of Jets fans I've ever heard. You do not represent the overall thought process of our actual nation.

Why not get Chris Johnson ? He's 28 years old. You are all acting like he's coming here for 10 years. You all do this with every player. No one is good enough for the Jets but we should of gotten everyone that's available they we are linked to. Make up your damn minds already.

Co-sign. Welcome to the board.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless our run blocking significantly improves... I don't see Johnson working here.

Really?  Were you aware that the Jets had the #4 rushing offense last year?  Keep in mind this was accomplished with a rookie QB that didn't command a lot of safety respect due to our lack of weapons.  They also struggled through rookie growing pains at LG yet managed such a lofty position.

Throwing out Nelson, Gates, Kerley (when healthy) and a hobbling Winslow didn't strike fear into anyone.  Imagine the ground attack when opposing defenses have to account for an upgrade at TE and better WR's.  And throw in an improved QB to boot whether it be Geno in his 2nd year or Vick.

Marty runs a run-heavy west coast offense.  There will be touches that most teams probably couldn't guarantee.  No one is going to offer Chris the lead back position.  I think you're off the mark and the reasons for Jets and Johnson's mutual interest is validated in my mind.

Really? Were you aware that the Jets had the #4 rushing offense last year? Keep in mind this was accomplished with a rookie QB that didn't command a lot of safety respect due to our lack of weapons. They also struggled through rookie growing pains at LG yet managed such a lofty position.

Throwing out Nelson, Gates, Kerley (when healthy) and a hobbling Winslow didn't strike fear into anyone. Imagine the ground attack when opposing defenses have to account for an upgrade at TE and better WR's. And throw in an improved QB to boot whether it be Geno in his 2nd year or Vick.

Marty runs a run-heavy west coast offense. There will be touches that most teams probably couldn't guarantee. No one is going to offer Chris the lead back position. I think you're off the mark and the reasons for Jets and Johnson's mutual interest is validated in my mind.

Agreed...we also got a better run blocking RT.

He's 28 and last year is the closest he's ever come to mediocrity, otherwise we're talking a guy who's spent the bulk of his career as an NFL elite. I don't get why last year gets to outweigh the whole body of work, even if I can understand why it's weighed slightly more (it's literally the only reason the Jets might have and take a shot at Johnson).

I live in TN and obviously watch the Titans more than anyone.

Johnson was great his first three years.

He has been okay his last three. He has Laurence Maroneyitis in that he runs tentatively and is rarely decisive.

Last year, he barely got 1000 yards. 

In 2012, he had a few huge games to pad his stats, but largely he was held to 50 or less yards.

In 2011, like 2012, he had two big games and barely eclipsed 1000.

He still is a homerun threat, but rarely pops that gear anymore.

I would like him on the Patriots, but not as a everydown back even though he has that talent.

I live in TN and obviously watch the Titans more than anyone.

Johnson was great his first three years.

He has been okay his last three. He has Laurence Maroneyitis in that he runs tentatively and is rarely decisive.

Last year, he barely got 1000 yards. 

In 2012, he had a few huge games to pad his stats, but largely he was held to 50 or less yards.

In 2011, like 2012, he had two big games and barely eclipsed 1000.

He still is a homerun threat, but rarely pops that gear anymore.

I would like him on the Patriots, but not as a everydown back even though he has that talent.

agree, at right price nice compliment to Ivory, but not a savior

Can't see him getting more than 5 a year and I might be okay with it.

I could see him around the $4ish million per range w/incentives.  $5 million would put him back in the top 10 annual deals and not sure that he's worth that at this point. It's been an icy cold market for RBs and you're right, I can't see him breaking the $5 million mark.

like the Tomlinson comparison.. CJ is a couple years younger but similar situation. could see a 2/3 year deal $3/4m per? seems like that would be tremendous value.. change of pace type guy/10-15- touches a game. let Ivory bang in the 3rd and 4th quarters when we're up. continue to mix in Bilal and Goody, have them as nice depth guys...  

"Tomlinson signed a two-year, $5.2 million contract with the New York Jets on March 14, 2010 with escalators to $5.6 million"

Johnson's best work comes after the first 5 yards....our run blocking sucked last year. Unless we get some road graders at guard through the draft that can start immediately....I just don't see this as a productive move. If Johnson is struggling and isnt getting the ball...not a guy I want around.

I could see him around the $4ish million per range w/incentives.  $5 million would put him back in the top 10 annual deals and not sure that he's worth that at this point. It's been an icy cold market for RBs and you're right, I can't see him breaking the $5 million mark.

Yeah I mean, since salary cap space wont be an issue this year, to lure him in (if we wanted to) we could front load the contract tremendously. Doubt that'd happen though

trey wingo@wingoz33s

Is Chris Johnson still a HR hitter? Had 22 carries of 20+ yds in 2009, 13 in 2010, 11 in 2011, 8 in 2012 and just 5 in 2013 #thatsatrend

Rich Cimini@RichCimini4m

Biggest key re: Chris Johnson is health. Tore meniscus Wk 3, played thru it, knee scope late Jan, started running only about 2 wks ago. #nyj

Rich Cimini@RichCimini55 mins

Re: Chris Johnson: Jets' interest will hinge on asking price and willingness to accept different role. #nyj

I'm not sure he's willing to be anything other than a feature back. I'll be interested in seeing the contract the team he signs with gives him. I can't see more than 3 years or more than 10 in guaranteed money. RBs are not really worth huge investments anymore.

Chris Johnson > Bilal Powell

get this beast 

Powell had a 4.0 YPC average this season, Johnson had a 3.9.

Powell had 3 runs of 20 yards or more this season, Johnson had 5, but had 103 more rushing attempts.

Powell is younger, under contract, and not coming off knee surgery.

So, no. Not really.

We really could stand to add a third down type back with explosiveness and the ability to catch passes out of the backfield to complement the backs we already have.  This draft is a little weak at runningback which means it will be tough to get good value.  A short term deal for CJ where he gets a chance to make good could be just what the doctor ordered.

Archived