EVERYTHING CHRIS JOHNSON: MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

Why would Johnson want a 3 year contract? It would be better for him to accept a one year deal and hitting the market next season rather then his $3 mil figure as you insist he take 3 years $10 mil.

A one-year contract does make sense for him, but not for the Jets. The Jets aren't a contender with or without Johnson, so how would a 1-year contract be beneficial to the Jets? So he can bolt after a decent season and leave the Jets still with a need at RB? Pass on CJ, draft a pass catching RB in the middle rounds, continue moving forward for future seasons, not 2014.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A one-year contract does make sense for him, but not for the Jets. The Jets aren't a contender with or without Johnson, so how would a 1-year contract be beneficial to the Jets? So he can bolt after a decent season and leave the Jets still with a need at RB? Pass on CJ, draft a pass catching RB in the middle rounds, continue moving forward for future seasons, not 2014.

This is what Idzik having his head up his ass all offseason has jet fans doing. Rationalizing away another lost season. 

F that- he has lost more speed than LT had to begin with

?

LT was plenty fast when he was younger.  He played faster than his 40 time (and one of his 40s at his combine or pro day or whatever was 4.36).  He was a LOT slower when we got him.  But if Johnson dropped a full tenth off his 40, he's still faster than LT was, if that was your point.  If he dropped 0.2 then I don't think so no matter what each did in gym shorts.  LT was fast enough to run outside and turn the corner (which he did plenty, especially to his left behind McNeill).

I like the idea of picking him up if he's willing to accept the role he's now suited to.  I can appreciate he still wants to be a feature back getting 250-350 touches, but he's not worth it.  If someone *coughraiderscough* pays it to him then good for Johnson.  If he's willing to take a few million per, I'm in favor of it.  He's not as fast as he was (pretty much no one is) but he's probably still plenty fast enough if healthy. 

This is what Idzik having his head up his ass all offseason has jet fans doing. Rationalizing away another lost season. 

The lost season has more to do with the QB situation than anything else, which does fall at his feet, but I think we've have a solid future building offseason.

Chris Johnson > Bilal Powell

get this beast 

I would think Johnson would be a replacement for Goodson more than anything.  Similar types of players (both would be the Jets speed / receiving option), although Johnson obviously is far more proven, less health issues, and without the legal troubles.  While Powell would obviously see a decline in play if Johnson were brought in, I don't think he'd be the one they'd be looking to get rid of if it happened.

The problem is I have no idea if Johnson is willing to accept the roll, or pay, of being a part time / rotational type, which I'm sure is what the Jets would be looking at him for.

I think this should officially be the end of anyone taking a single word you say seriously.  Post #11 of this thread, you are preemptively criticizing the move just in case the Jets happen to make it.  Post #32 of the same thread, just an hour later, you are whining with this mindless nonsense based on someone thinking it would not be a good signing for the Jets.

You're a complete joke.

?

LT was plenty fast when he was younger.  He played faster than his 40 time (and one of his 40s at his combine or pro day or whatever was 4.36).  He was a LOT slower when we got him.  But if Johnson dropped a full tenth off his 40, he's still faster than LT was, if that was your point.  If he dropped 0.2 then I don't think so no matter what each did in gym shorts.  LT was fast enough to run outside and turn the corner (which he did plenty, especially to his left behind McNeill).

I like the idea of picking him up if he's willing to accept the role he's now suited to.  I can appreciate he still wants to be a feature back getting 250-350 touches, but he's not worth it.  If someone *coughraiderscough* pays it to him then good for Johnson.  If he's willing to take a few million per, I'm in favor of it.  He's not as fast as he was (pretty much no one is) but he's probably still plenty fast enough if healthy. 

I think CJ could be a feature back here. We don't block well outside anyway- our guys do their best work inside. And that's right where CJ likes to be. 

I think this should officially be the end of anyone taking a single word you say seriously.  Post #11 of this thread, you are preemptively criticizing the move just in case the Jets happen to make it.  Post #32 of the same thread, just an hour later, you are whining with this mindless nonsense based on someone thinking it would not be a good signing for the Jets.

You're a complete joke.

It would be a dumb, nothing move that does nothing to make the Jets any more competitive for next year. 

I think CJ could be a feature back here. We don't block well outside anyway- our guys do their best work inside. And that's right where CJ likes to be. 

Since when? The guy almost always looks to bounce it outside.

Pete Damilatis@PFF_Pete2h

A common sight in recent years: Chris Johnson refuses a modest gain, bounces outside, tackled at LOS. pic.twitter.com/ltVnov60nv

Pete Damilatis@PFF_Pete2h

Again: LT gets pushed back, but Chris Johnson's urge to bounce outside turns 2nd-and-10 into 2nd-and-15. pic.twitter.com/SAXG9OoOHM

Pete Damilatis‏@PFF_Pete2h

A common sight in recent years: Chris Johnson refuses a modest gain, bounces outside, tackled at LOS. pic.twitter.com/ltVnov60nv

Again: LT gets pushed back, but Chris Johnson's urge to bounce outside turns 2nd-and-10 into 2nd-and-15. pic.twitter.com/SAXG9OoOHM

idk who pete damilatis is but when i actually watch games the dude starts up the middle, gets nothing and then bounces outsidelike u suggest...thost posts actually kinda back me up

A one-year contract does make sense for him, but not for the Jets.

How does it make sense for the Jets? Are you kidding me? Lol. It shouldn't even come down do this as we should be discussing how does this make sense for team "x". Whether that's the Cards, Cowboys, Rams or whomever. The Jets and CJ?K doesn't make much sense business wise considering how we've been moving lately.

idk who pete damilatis is but when i actually watch games the dude starts up the middle, gets nothing and then bounces outsidelike u suggest...thost posts actually kinda back me up

How? He's breaking it outside before he even gets to the line? He's not a feature back anymore. He's a piece. He's not going to want to be played or paid like that though.

I never recall the Chiefs trying to do power plays and running up the gut. They run lots of stretch plays to fit the style of Charles. Same should be done with Johnson along with getting him more involved in the passing game. As for those plays he did a poor job. But of course that's nitpicking on the negatives.

It's official. 

Titans released RB Chris Johnson.

The move has been in the works for weeks, if not months. The Titans save $6 million versus the cap and eat a $4 million dead money hit. Johnson isn't the same player as the one that rushed for 2,006 yards in 2009 and earned him the moniker CJ2K, but he still has excellent speed and hasn't missed a game since his rookie season. There's no chance he'll find the $8 million salary he was scheduled to earn on the open market, but Johnson is easily the best back to hit free agency this offseason. He won't be a true No. 1 like he was in Tennessee, either. Johnson is merely a complementary piece to a backfield. Look for the Jets and Cowboys to show interest. The Patriots and Rams could also be in the mix.

I would think Johnson would be a replacement for Goodson more than anything.  Similar types of players (both would be the Jets speed / receiving option), although Johnson obviously is far more proven, less health issues, and without the legal troubles.  While Powell would obviously see a decline in play if Johnson were brought in, I don't think he'd be the one they'd be looking to get rid of if it happened.

The problem is I have no idea if Johnson is willing to accept the roll, or pay, of being a part time / rotational type, which I'm sure is what the Jets would be looking at him for.

I think he'd be a replacement for Powell, not the guy who got 10 carries.  Or that's whose carries would suffer more anyway.  If the goal is to gain speed, Powell is the slowest.  40 times aside, anyway, he certainly plays the slowest.

If he was playing with a bad knee, and that's the reason for not breaking a bunch of runs, then I'm not worried about his speed.  The year before he had a 94 yard TD run.  If that was when he was 29 and now he's 31, then I look at what he did the season before last a little less.  But he was 27 then and he'll be 29 this year.   Also he had a rookie at one guard spot (Warmack) playing next to another rookie at center for the first 9 games and Rob Turner for 6 after that and I don't know who for the other one.  Even Warmack wasn't exactly an elite run blocker as a rookie apparently (though it was better than his pass blocking).  Levitre also apparently had an awful start to the season.  The picture I'm getting is that unlike the Jets, whose line started to play better as the season went on (RT and C in particular), Tennessee didn't have any point of the season where the line as a whole was kicking ass.  

Johnson's strength isn't the same as someone like Ivory or Powell, each of whom probably have more power (Ivory certainly does) but almost no home run threat (Powell has none).  Johnson needs a little bit of an opening, and where he has value is in being able to do more with that opening than most others (when he has an intact meniscus).  

We'll see.  If the guy still thinks he's worth $6M/year or more I like picking him up a lot less.  Up to $4M I'd be on board with.  More than that I don't know.  Ideally he'd still be here by year 3, when he'd be almost exclusively a 3rd down back, and $4M may be too high for such a small role that can be filled in the draft.  Also depends on how smart of a player he is, which I know nothing of.  He looks like a freaking idiot with the gold teeth.  But if that's just his persona, and on the field he's smart and is a team guy in the locker room, then he can be and sound like the biggest knucklehead in the world and I won't care.

One of our guys is not the same guy anymore.  Also, in the earlier part of the '13 season, Mangold was arguably the worst run blocker of our 5 (actually 6 when you to combine Ducasse/Winters).  How many times early on did Ivory run up the gut with nowhere to go, and even getting back the LOS seeming like a relative gain? Too many.  

Run blocking, the whole line should be better than last year's.  Having some more receivers, which we will, should help.

One of our guys is not the same guy anymore.  Also, in the earlier part of the '13 season, Mangold was arguably the worst run blocker of our 5 (actually 6 when you to combine Ducasse/Winters).  How many times early on did Ivory run up the gut with nowhere to go, and even getting back the LOS seeming like a relative gain? Too many.  

Run blocking, the whole line should be better than last year's.  Having some more receivers, which we will, should help.

Good point, all they did was run block in some games

Good point, all they did was run block in some games

Yeah, that's got to be more exhausting.  That constant pushing/pulling, as opposed to winning a left/right dance with someone trying to get around you.

Odd thing is our run blocking seemed to get better as the season went on.  Or maybe it was just Ivory.  Guy was an absolute beast in Nov-Dec.

Yeah, that's got to be more exhausting.  That constant pushing/pulling, as opposed to winning a left/right dance with someone trying to get around you.

Odd thing is our run blocking seemed to get better as the season went on.  Or maybe it was just Ivory.  Guy was an absolute beast in Nov-Dec.

Like that Miami home game I was fortunate enough to be at... I think Geno and Simms threw the ball collectively 9 times. Our whole offense was running that game, it was pathetic.

And yeah Ivory really became our guy, he and powell had great games when they were both getting the carries

I live in TN and obviously watch the Titans more than anyone.

Johnson was great his first three years.

He has been okay his last three. He has Laurence Maroneyitis in that he runs tentatively and is rarely decisive.

Last year, he barely got 1000 yards. 

In 2012, he had a few huge games to pad his stats, but largely he was held to 50 or less yards.

In 2011, like 2012, he had two big games and barely eclipsed 1000.

He still is a homerun threat, but rarely pops that gear anymore.

I would like him on the Patriots, but not as a everydown back even though he has that talent.

I live in TN and obviously watch the Titans more than anyone.

Johnson was great his first three years.

He has been okay his last three. He has Laurence Maroneyitis in that he runs tentatively and is rarely decisive.

Last year, he barely got 1000 yards. 

In 2012, he had a few huge games to pad his stats, but largely he was held to 50 or less yards.

In 2011, like 2012, he had two big games and barely eclipsed 1000.

He still is a homerun threat, but rarely pops that gear anymore.

I would like him on the Patriots, but not as a everydown back even though he has that talent.

Johnson isn't signing anywhere as an every down back. I don't want him as an every down back unless he wins a training camp competition. The bold is all that matters to me. I'll take those huge stat padding games.

Anyway, Ivory is the best reserve back he's ever played with, I think that could be beneficial to both of them.

Coming off surgery, I'd be surprised if he can do much better than what MJD signed for in Oakland.

MJD hasn't had a good, full season since 2011.  Plus unlike MJD, he's still very fast.  I think he gets more than MJD, but I would like it if we signed him for around the same #s.

I think he'd be a replacement for Powell, not the guy who got 10 carries.  Or that's whose carries would suffer more anyway.  If the goal is to gain speed, Powell is the slowest.  40 times aside, anyway, he certainly plays the slowest.

If he was playing with a bad knee, and that's the reason for not breaking a bunch of runs, then I'm not worried about his speed.  The year before he had a 94 yard TD run.  If that was when he was 29 and now he's 31, then I look at what he did the season before last a little less.  But he was 27 then and he'll be 29 this year.   Also he had a rookie at one guard spot (Warmack) playing next to another rookie at center for the first 9 games and Rob Turner for 6 after that and I don't know who for the other one.  Even Warmack wasn't exactly an elite run blocker as a rookie apparently (though it was better than his pass blocking).  Levitre also apparently had an awful start to the season.  The picture I'm getting is that unlike the Jets, whose line started to play better as the season went on (RT and C in particular), Tennessee didn't have any point of the season where the line as a whole was kicking ass.  

Johnson's strength isn't the same as someone like Ivory or Powell, each of whom probably have more power (Ivory certainly does) but almost no home run threat (Powell has none).  Johnson needs a little bit of an opening, and where he has value is in being able to do more with that opening than most others (when he has an intact meniscus).  

We'll see.  If the guy still thinks he's worth $6M/year or more I like picking him up a lot less.  Up to $4M I'd be on board with.  More than that I don't know.  Ideally he'd still be here by year 3, when he'd be almost exclusively a 3rd down back, and $4M may be too high for such a small role that can be filled in the draft.  Also depends on how smart of a player he is, which I know nothing of.  He looks like a freaking idiot with the gold teeth.  But if that's just his persona, and on the field he's smart and is a team guy in the locker room, then he can be and sound like the biggest knucklehead in the world and I won't care.

In terms of reps from last year I agree, but I meant in terms of skillset and roll for the coming year.  Powell is definitely the guy he would be taking carries from, but my point is that what the Jets were hoping for Goodson to be for them is what they would be bringing in Johnson to be, and Goodson is likely the guy who he would be taking a roster spot from.  Like you said, it's more about the potential for big plays and explosiveness, both in the run game and passing game, which is certainly not something that Powell brings to the table, but Goodson was supposed to.  The bottom line is though that even if they were glad to send Goodson packing and bury Powell on the depth chart, I really don't see the Jets ever making CJ their lone "feature" guy.  They obviously like Ivory and he brings a power aspect that Johnson never will, so if he's hung up on being a lead guy, and getting paid like one, this probably won't be the place for him.

I still think CJ could provide a decent season in this league. If its 1 yr 5/6 mill guaranteed OR a  2 yr deal with 5 per with no guaranteed money in the second season OR something along those lines i would sign him.

Puff, puff, pass... As I totally agree with the figure being fair. But that one year deal has to have some sort of incentive similar to Vick's.

There will be certain teams that we can feature a back like CJ against and get a lot of production.  Other teams will see more Ivory.  It would be nice to have both types of weapons, with Powell able to back up either guy really.  I don't see signing CJ as a huge need, but if we have cap to burn, he might not be a bad place to spend some of it.

MJD hasn't had a good, full season since 2011.  Plus unlike MJD, he's still very fast.  I think he gets more than MJD, but I would like it if we signed him for around the same #s.

All true, but the Raiders won't be available to overpay him, so we'll see what the market actually bears.

Best RB on the market so far getting a 1 year prove it deal makes complete sense.

Guy still has speed. Only 28. Fred Jackson is 33 and is just fine as a complimentary back. Enough with the 28 is ancient thing. It's overused.

3 years 15 million. Option for 4th. Ability to cut after two with little ramifications. See where he stands at that point after the 2-3 years.

CJ and Ivory is a perfect match. Plus no off the field issues or durability issues.

Powell had a 4.0 YPC average this season, Johnson had a 3.9.

Powell had 3 runs of 20 yards or more this season, Johnson had 5, but had 103 more rushing attempts.

Powell is younger, under contract, and not coming off knee surgery.

So, no. Not really.

Watch out. I got killed for pointing that out.

Powell had a huge opportunity to take the job last year outright when Ivory was hurt. He did not.

I like Powell a lot. No name guy that plays tough that the Jets drafted themselves.

CJ has never been below 1000 yards. Powellhas never been above 700.

Archived