Jets sign Jacoby Ford

Matt39

Because banking on draft picks coming right in and being major contributors as rookies is a terrific way of building winning teams. 

Who said anything about major contributor? You said Ford will play a lot on offense.

Just make an argument and stick with it instead of constantly changing it when it's pointed out how silly you're being.  I'm still trying to catch my breath from your insistence that Austin Howard is an impact player.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of those teams bank on the impacts the Jets have from rookies in idzik's first two years here. And it's not close. The Jets will literally have to have rookies play like pro bowlers (multiple rookies) or be a bad team. 

The Seahawks and Niners were not very good in the beginning while they were building their championship caliber teams, mainly through the navigating the draft and picking up well-priced FAs. Hell, I'm positive the Seahawks were under .500 the first two years under Carroll. The point is, part of building a good team is finding rookies and younger guys to develop and play integral roles.  Sometimes if you have a good QB, like Big Ben, Peyton or Brady, you can mask the growing pains. Other teams, like ourselves, as well as the niners and seahawks in the beginning of their development, did not have the luxury of a HOF qb to mask those developmental pains.  

None of those teams bank on the impacts the Jets have from rookies in idzik's first two years here. And it's not close. The Jets will literally have to have rookies play like pro bowlers (multiple rookies) or be a bad team. 

That's because they've been focused on the draft for years, and use it to replenish talent.  You're shooting for the Tannenbaum strategy, you just don't want to acknowledge it.

Why do you take from those contracts "don't sign any players" and not "don't sign bad players?"

Everyone signs bad players. Everyone drafts bad players. Everyone signs players that don't live up to their contracts.

Let me know when you digest this. Then we'll move on to why Austin Howard isn't an impact player.

Everyone signs bad players. Everyone drafts bad players. Everyone signs players that don't live up to their contracts.

Let me know when you digest this. Then we'll move on to why Austin Howard isn't an impact player.

That isn't a coherent argument. How about signing LESS bad players than Tannenbaum did? Is that impossible?

I hope you had the good sense to guarantee $20M or more to Alan Faneca, Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez...

I think only Alan Faneca was in the league when I played Madden.  I think the last Madden I owned was 2006.

It's more of you making up incoherent arguments in order to justify any move the jets make and make excuses for the sh*tty job Idzik is doing but you can keep telling yourself whatever you want. 

I understand how "build through the draft" and "patience" are incoherent to you.  I do.

I understand how "build through the draft" and "patience" are incoherent to you.  I do.

It's easy to use patience as an excuse for bumbling inaction which is what we're seeing here. And apparently if they improve the team through free agency, that means they are actually barred from ALSO improving the team through the draft. Because, of course, it's one or the other. I mean who would use ALL available methods to improve the team as fast as possible? Only a crazy person. Not a man with a PLAN™ like Idzik. 

It's easy to use patience as an excuse for bumbling inaction which is what we're seeing here. And apparently if they improve the team through free agency, that means they are actually barred from ALSO improving the team through the draft. Because, of course, it's one or the other. I mean who would use ALL available methods to improve the team as fast as possible? Only a crazy person. Not a man with a PLAN™ like Idzik. 

Wonderful idea in theory.

We're going on Day 2 of this argument without an actual example of when it's worked before.

Wonderful idea in theory.

We're going on Day 2 of this argument without an actual example of when it's worked before.

You know how you know that you have no argument? Because Idzik actually TRIED to be more active in free agency! He just couldn't pull his head of his ass enough to get the players he wanted signed. Basically what you're doing is not even defending any kind of real plan. You're just trying to spin his **** up's AS a long term plan which is just kind of sad. 

You know how you know that you have no argument? Because Idzik actually TRIED to be more active in free agency! He just couldn't pull his head of his ass enough to get the players he wanted signed. Basically what you're doing is not even defending any kind of real plan. You're just trying to spin his **** up's AS a long term plan which is just kind of sad. 

Players he wanted, or players he wanted at a certain price point?  

He did?  Can you prove this?  Who did we have in for visits?  A mediocre TE who stayed put or a one year wonder CB who is now on his 4th team?

You know why you have no argument?  Because, you've based your thinking on Manish Mehta.

Hey I have a question. Do you think the seahawks were a good team this past year?

Ok you know more than him right let me see your NFL experience 

John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

Raised in a football family, Idzik’s father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFL’s few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzik’s Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

Idzik and his wife, Carol (a University of Georgia graduate), have two sons, Bryant (a senior and captain of the Formula SAE racing team at Western Washington University) and Bradley (a sophomore wide receiver at Wake Forest University), and a daughter, Holly (a senior at Mercer Island High School).

You want to give Idzik credit for the Seashawks success even though he didn't have anything to do with scouting or drafting any of those players. Pure wishful thinking. 

Okay that's all I needed to see. You sir, have no idea what you are talking about. Have a nice day

He did?  Can you prove this?  Who did we have in for visits?  A mediocre TE who stayed put or a one year wonder CB who is now on his 4th team?

You know why you have no argument?  Because, you've based your thinking on Manish Mehta.

It's happened multiple times this off season that he has screwed up a negotiation and come back with a last ditch offer at about what the player signed of. Or maybe the media is ALL lying and out to make him look like a fool.... Which of those is more likely?

It's happened multiple times this off season that he has screwed up a negotiation and come back with a last ditch offer at about what the player signed of. Or maybe the media is ALL lying and out to make him look like a fool.... Which of those is more likely?

Pretty much every argument you make is based upon things you supposedly read that you never once actually provide any details, links, or direct references to of any kind.  It's already been proven that multiple of your recent comments about things you "read" were 100% blatant lies, so how about we worry about debating the truth of what others have supposedly said when you can show that anyone but you has ever actually said such things.

Pretty much every argument you make is based upon things you supposedly read that you never once actually provide any details, links, or direct references to of any kind.  It's already been proven that multiple of your recent comments about things you "read" were 100% blatant lies, so how about we worry about debating the truth of what others have supposedly said when you can show that anyone but you has ever actually said such things.

Pretty much this.

Hey I have a question. Do you think the seahawks were a good team this past year?

Didn't you know, the Seahawks "let him go" because he sucks.  I read that here.

It's not like he got a new job and a promotion.  He was let go.  I read it here.

AKA you want very much to believe that Idzik knows what he's doing so you're going to keep those Jet colored glasses on. Thats your right, but I'll be LOL'ing at you when the jets are back looking for a new GM in a few years. 

Archived