Jets sign Jacoby Ford

Matt39

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I simply appreciate ideas that are actually based on this little thing called "reality".  A concept that seems to be quite foreign to you.

Reality is that the jets went 8-8 last year, celebrated like they went 15-1 and have hardly improved one of the worst rosters in the league. Thats reality. Funny that someone who's arguments are all based on wishful thinking would bring up reality. 

Reality is that the jets went 8-8 last year, celebrated like they went 15-1 and have hardly improved one of the worst rosters in the league. Thats reality. Funny that someone who's arguments are all based on wishful thinking would bring up reality. 

Well you got the 8-8 part right, so that's something.  Granted, not a single one of those other things you stated after that is anywhere close to reality, but I guess 1 isn't bad for you; better than your average post.  Keep it up and you might actually come up with a post that doesn't descend into completely fabricated nonsense 1/3 of the way through your first sentence.  You can do it, I have faith in you.

Well you got the 8-8 part right, so that's something.  Granted, not a single one of those other things you stated after that is anywhere close to reality, but I guess 1 isn't bad for you; better than your average post.  Keep it up and you might actually come up with a post that doesn't descend into completely fabricated nonsense 1/3 of the way through your first sentence.  You can do it, I have faith in you.

They didn't celebrate going 8-8? Did you hear one interview at the end of the season? This roster is greatly improved? Really? Or do you actually think this was a good roster last year?

I am not "celebrating" but signing Ford does not preclude more moves. Everyone is ready to just heap "woe is me" on the Jets for making some moves. Let's see what each brings to the table. Remember that we are building for long term success, and while not every move is a winner, we have to hope that the majority are. So please, can we just can the "oh her we go again" attitude? This is a new regime with a long term view. 

LL

They didn't celebrate going 8-8? Did you hear one interview at the end of the season? This roster is greatly improved? Really? Or do you actually think this was a good roster last year?

I never said any of this.  Besides, if you do not see the difference between what you're saying here and the nonsensical fabricated claims you previously made, then there is no helping you, because none of those are the same.

None of this even addresses the original point, and that's because you have no answer for it.  This is simply your attempt to cover up that you blatantly fabricate things you claim to have "read" while never providing a source to any of it, because it doesn't exist.  Completely making more things up and touting them as reality doesn't change that.  Nothing will until there's reason to believe any of this has ever been said in a place other than your posts.

I never said any of this.  Besides, if you do not see the difference between what you're saying here and the nonsensical fabricated claims you previously made, then there is no helping you, because none of those are the same.

None of this even addresses the original point, and that's because you have no answer for it.  This is simply your attempt to cover up that you blatantly fabricate things you claim to have "read" while never providing a source to any of it, because it doesn't exist.  Completely making more things up and touting them as reality doesn't change that.  Nothing will until there's reason to believe any of this has ever been said in a place other than your posts.

Notice how everything negative about the jets is "completely" made up despite being in the media all over the place but everything that you assume is going to happen based on nothing but wishful thinking is perfectly valid. 

Notice how everything negative about the jets is "completely" made up despite being in the media all over the place but everything that you assume is going to happen based on nothing but wishful thinking is perfectly valid. 

"All over the media", yet somehow you are incapable of providing a single example.

You want to give Idzik credit for the Seashawks success even though he didn't have anything to do with scouting or drafting any of those players. Pure wishful thinking. 

So Idzik was with the Seahawks for a long time, but they were only good one season he was there.  He wasn't there last year when they signed guys like Avril, Bennet, and traded for Harvin.   3 guys who were a big part in that super bowl win.    

It's funny nobody ever says anything about Idzik learned a lot from the GM who got canned/resigned while he was there though.   That was all Ruskells fault, not Idizks.    And when Schneider/Carroll came to town,  it was all Idzik and not them.  Makes sense.

Percy Harvin was not a big part of the superbowl win.  It was a bloodbath without him.  That was a moronic trade they made.  The team was just good enough that they didn't even need him.  They gave up a #1 pick and signed him to an $11M/year contract and the guy barely saw the field.  He was damaged goods when the trade was made, and he's missed a bunch of games in his short career.  Their multi-million dollar FA WR splashes are nothing to brag about, from Houshmazilli to Rice Mike Williams (yeah, remember that one?) to Harvin.  

They also gave up picks for garbage and poor value there also (Lendale White, Leon Washington, TJ Duckett, James Jones, Edgerrin James, and more).  

And lastly, before falling into stupid luck with Russell Wilson, look at the QBs they brought in there.  Charlie Whitehurst, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Flynn...this is who the team kept and brought in when they dumped Matt Hasselbeck.  It's a tough sell to say they knew anything about Wilson with that history.

While they drafted a super defense, which took time, the reality is it's impossible to find a thousand yard rusher or receiver the team drafted.  Golden Tate came the closest and he never reached 900 yards (and is now off the team).  For however many years, with those exceptions (Wilson and Tate), every other RB, WR, and TE with even slightly above-average production was a free agent acquisition.  Everyone they drafted sucked or was meh.

Truth is no one knows how much of that was Carroll and how much of that was, frankly, anyone else.  All those bad picks and acquisitions -- was Idzik a contributor, or was he the lone voice of reason who no one listened to when he yelled, "Do NOT give that nutso contract to Matt Flynn!"

I like the strategy being employed, which (as I see it) took a team that was gutted beyond the handful or so of long-term useful players (and ones who one could hold onto long-term reasonably, which excluded Revis), get a couple of drafts under your belt before deciding where you need to spend tens of millions of dollars that the team will need soon.  Exceptions made are in areas where more than 1 player is needed as a starter (WR, or just "receiver" in general), or for competition for a QB who struggled a lot as a rookie (even though I despise Vick and will never root for him, I concede the move made a lot of sense on paper given the options).  Everyone else? Bring in stop-gap veterans who you don't necessarily see being on the team a year later, and see what you got in these first couple of drafts.

IMO people have this warped memory of the Seahawks, like they think they built a SB winner overnight or something.  They forget that the team was 7-9 the first 2 seasons and the only reason for the giant leap in year 3 was they fell into impossible luck with a 3rd round QB who was good the first half of his rookie season, and awesome for the year & a half since, and all without a "true #1" receiver in any sense of the term.  If someone else took Wilson in that draft, they'd have gone with Matt Flynn and may very well have had a 3rd straight 7-9 season no matter how talented that defense was.  For all we know, they may have then pulled the trigger on Geno Smith in round 1 in '13 instead of trading their first rounder for Percy Harvin.  I think it's safe to say they wouldn't have a superbowl ring in any case, since there have been no superbowl-level QBs available in FA or the draft since the Russell Wilson pick came and went.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to the draft picks.  There were no free agents available that were going to turn this team into anything without Geno Smith and some of the draft picks really panning out anyway.  If the day comes when someone truly claims, "We'd have won a superbowl if only we had Geoff Schwartz and DRC," then that will be a day when not only are pigs flying throughout the skies of the NY Metro area, but also a day when you know we've got not only a solid team, but a damn good QB on our hands.  

Percy Harvin was not a big part of the superbowl win.  It was a bloodbath without him.  That was a moronic trade they made.  The team was just good enough that they didn't even need him.  They gave up a #1 pick and signed him to an $11M/year contract and the guy barely saw the field.  He was damaged goods when the trade was made, and he's missed a bunch of games in his short career.  Their multi-million dollar FA WR splashes are nothing to brag about, from Houshmazilli to Rice Mike Williams (yeah, remember that one?) to Harvin.  

They also gave up picks for garbage and poor value there also (Lendale White, Leon Washington, TJ Duckett, James Jones, Edgerrin James, and more).  

And lastly, before falling into stupid luck with Russell Wilson, look at the QBs they brought in there.  Charlie Whitehurst, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Flynn...this is who the team kept and brought in when they dumped Matt Hasselbeck.  It's a tough sell to say they knew anything about Wilson with that history.

While they drafted a super defense, which took time, the reality is it's impossible to find a thousand yard rusher or receiver the team drafted.  Golden Tate came the closest and he never reached 900 yards (and is now off the team).  For however many years, with those exceptions (Wilson and Tate), every other RB, WR, and TE with even slightly above-average production was a free agent acquisition.  Everyone they drafted sucked or was meh.

Truth is no one knows how much of that was Carroll and how much of that was, frankly, anyone else.  All those bad picks and acquisitions -- was Idzik a contributor, or was he the lone voice of reason who no one listened to when he yelled, "Do NOT give that nutso contract to Matt Flynn!"

I like the strategy being employed, which (as I see it) took a team that was gutted beyond the handful or so of long-term useful players (and ones who one could hold onto long-term reasonably, which excluded Revis), get a couple of drafts under your belt before deciding where you need to spend tens of millions of dollars that the team will need soon.  Exceptions made are in areas where more than 1 player is needed as a starter (WR, or just "receiver" in general), or for competition for a QB who struggled a lot as a rookie (even though I despise Vick and will never root for him, I concede the move made a lot of sense on paper given the options).  Everyone else? Bring in stop-gap veterans who you don't necessarily see being on the team a year later, and see what you got in these first couple of drafts.

IMO people have this warped memory of the Seahawks, like they think they built a SB winner overnight or something.  They forget that the team was 7-9 the first 2 seasons and the only reason for the giant leap in year 3 was they fell into impossible luck with a 3rd round QB who was good the first half of his rookie season, and awesome for the year & a half since, and all without a "true #1" receiver in any sense of the term.  If someone else took Wilson in that draft, they'd have gone with Matt Flynn and may very well have had a 3rd straight 7-9 season no matter how talented that defense was.  For all we know, they may have then pulled the trigger on Geno Smith in round 1 in '13 instead of trading their first rounder for Percy Harvin.  I think it's safe to say they wouldn't have a superbowl ring in any case, since there have been no superbowl-level QBs available in FA or the draft since the Russell Wilson pick came and went.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to the draft picks.  There were no free agents available that were going to turn this team into anything without Geno Smith and some of the draft picks really panning out anyway.  If the day comes when someone truly claims, "We'd have won a superbowl if only we had Geoff Schwartz and DRC," then that will be a day when not only are pigs flying throughout the skies of the NY Metro area, but also a day when you know we've got not only a solid team, but a damn good QB on our hands.  

Just wait a gang-darn minute there Fella'!! What you are saying flies in the face of that far reaching and insightful piece, penned by the great journalist "JetsFan80" who has been featured, with aplomb, on this very board's Main Page Feature!! My world's are colliding.... I must "power down" and thoughtfully review these tw0 disparate works, and decide for myself, "What is Truth, and What is Fiction"? ...............Star Command, Out!

I don't know why you have been arguing with me for 2 days when you're pretty much saying here what I''ve been saying that the jets are completely reliant on the draft with the way they are going about things. I mean, no sh*t, if you draft a franchise QB in the 3rd round and all pro defensive players in the 4th and 5th rounds, your team is going to be good. The idea that that it replicatable is just a pipe dream. 

I also agree with you that if Geno Smith doesn't play much better the Jets are a bad team next year but I'm not sure why that precludes them from signing FA's who will still be good in a few years even if they have to go shopping for QB's again next year and every FA I've mentioned them signing falls into that category. (What you're calling "long term useful players")

I don't know why you have been arguing with me for 2 days when you're pretty much saying here what I''ve been saying that the jets are completely reliant on the draft with the way they are going about things. I mean, no sh*t, if you draft a franchise QB in the 3rd round and all pro defensive players in the 4th and 5th rounds, your team is going to be good. The idea that that it replicatable is just a pipe dream. 

I also agree with you that if Geno Smith doesn't play much better the Jets are a bad team next year but I'm not sure why that precludes them from signing FA's who will still be good in a few years even if they have to go shopping for QB's again next year and every FA I've mentioned them signing falls into that category. (What you're calling "long term useful players")

I've been arguing with you because your ideas are dumb.  Spend it 'cause we 'got it.  No insight as to what we'll need more or less after a couple of drafts.  You've seen one draft, watched them play one season, and that's enough for you.  Ridiculous IMO.  You can't buy a superbowl without a QB.  You're super-unlikely to be able to so even with a QB. 

I've been arguing with you because your ideas are dumb.  Spend it 'cause we 'got it.  No insight as to what we'll need more or less after a couple of drafts.  You've seen one draft, watched them play one season, and that's enough for you.  Ridiculous IMO.  You can't buy a superbowl without a QB.  You're super-unlikely to be able to so even with a QB. 

When the hell did I say spend just to spend? Spend because there were players in free agency who would've filled holes on the Jets' roster. Those holes will be there no matter how the QB plays and the jets had the wherewithal to fill them and didn't. 

When the hell did I say spend just to spend? Spend because there were players in free agency who would've filled holes on the Jets' roster. Those holes will be there no matter how the QB plays and the jets had the wherewithal to fill them and didn't. 

When you start ripping on the team for not paying Austin Howard in excess of $6M/year, and start referring to him as an impact player just because the Raiders were dumb enough to pay him that much, then you are advocating for the team to spend for the sake of spending.

You're also counting holes where the team has drafted players already and will draft even more.  You have no patience, therefore you have no desire to see if any of them work out.  You just want to spend to fill the spot asap, even if it's a player we really want to upgrade from rather than lock ourselves into.

When you start ripping on the team for not paying Austin Howard in excess of $6M/year, and start referring to him as an impact player just because the Raiders were dumb enough to pay him that much, then you are advocating for the team to spend for the sake of spending.

You're also counting holes where the team has drafted players already and will draft even more.  You have no patience, therefore you have no desire to see if any of them work out.  You just want to spend to fill the spot asap, even if it's a player we really want to upgrade from rather than lock ourselves into.

Idzik offered Howard a similar contract to what the raiders did so if I'm dumb for that then so is he. How did letting Slausen work out for them last year?

Idzik offered Howard a similar contract to what the raiders did so if I'm dumb for that then so is he. How did letting Slausen work out for them last year?

It was not similar.  Oakland gave Howard 50% more guaranteed money than our top offer ($17M or so vs $12M).  They're similar if the players play out the deals in their entirety.  And as I've said plenty of times, I didn't like our last offer to Howard when I heard it, even if Oakland's was more.  I think Howard is merely ok.  Not a guy I would want to invest in.

Slauson? He was also merely fine.  In hindsight he would have been better than Winters in 2013, but the team wanted to get picks for the following year.  Paying up for Slauson as a UFA was tantamount to giving up a draft pick for that opportunity.  He was great value for a 6th rounder, and playing under that 6th rounder contract, but not someone I'd look to lock up forever.  Another one the team would be looking to upgrade from.  As a rookie, Winters made letting him go look like a bad move.  This year it may look different.  He was supposed to be pretty good, but I'm in wait & see mode with him.  Players don't typically peak during their rookie seasons.

So you tell me where the team would have been last season had they kept Slauson.  Tell us all.  Winters needed the work.  He's gotten his rookie mulligan season for looking as bad as he did.  He doesn't have to be a stud in year 2, but he can't look as bad as he did in October.  I'm sure he'll get better, as he wasn't the total raw project that Ducasse was.  Question is how much better Winters will be in year 2, and we'll find out.

I see your frustration as everyone is teaming up on you AND unfairly placing words in your mouth.  It's garbage actually.

Anyone can simply say that not a single FA was approached or contacted thereby making Idzik look like some sort of messiah as a GM.   It's quite disingenuous - you could say that the burden of proof could go opposite.  Prove that they didn't contact.

The fact is, many (and I can list dozens of REAL sources) linking FA's with the Jets and none would include Mehta. 

For anyone that can't see that Idzik either didn't know or read the market properly or was unable to negotiate is in essence closing their eyes.  I'm not sure why this is but it is the prevailing wisdom.  Are posters here actually afraid they might hurt Idzik's feelings?  It's about the only thing that makes sense to me.  I don't see what's wrong with saying he swung and missed on numerous CB's, TE and WR that we know of.  It's what happened.  I only hope he learns from it.  We also learn this week that he was also going after RB Donald Brown (Schefter). 

There's a mountain of evidence supporting your claim and maybe if I find time I'm going to list every known reputable source linking these FA's to Idzik.  But that wouldn't put this to bed, would it? 

Very curious take by the majority on this.

I see your frustration as everyone is teaming up on you AND unfairly placing words in your mouth.  It's garbage actually.

Anyone can simply say that not a single FA was approached or contacted thereby making Idzik look like some sort of messiah as a GM.   It's quite disingenuous - you could say that the burden of proof could go opposite.  Prove that they didn't contact.

The fact is, many (and I can list dozens of REAL sources) linking FA's with the Jets and none would include Mehta. 

For anyone that can't see that Idzik either didn't know or read the market properly or was unable to negotiate is in essence closing their eyes.  I'm not sure why this is but it is the prevailing wisdom.  Are posters here actually afraid they might hurt Idzik's feelings?  It's about the only thing that makes sense to me.  I don't see what's wrong with saying he swung and missed on numerous CB's, TE and WR that we know of.  It's what happened.  I only hope he learns from it.  We also learn this week that he was also going after RB Donald Brown (Schefter). 

There's a mountain of evidence supporting your claim and maybe if I find time I'm going to list every known reputable source linking these FA's to Idzik.  But that wouldn't put this to bed, would it? 

Out of curiosity and if you have the time, I would love to see the dozens of real sources linking us to the players we swung and missed on. I don't read many sites besides rotoworld for recent sports news, so there's a solid chance I missed all of the ones that weren't from Mehta, Pauline or various articles that were just siting Mehta. 

Out of curiosity and if you have the time, I would love to see the dozens of real sources linking us to the players we swung and missed on. I don't read many sites besides rotoworld for recent sports news, so there's a solid chance I missed all of the ones that weren't from Mehta, Pauline or various articles that were just siting Mehta. 

You got it.  Just for you. 

Thanks for taking the bait.

Just so you're clear (as I read your post) Pauline IS a valid source, Mehta is not. 

You got it.  Just for you. 

Thanks for taking the bait.

Just so you're clear (as I read your post) Pauline IS a valid source, Mehta is not. 

I'm well aware Pauline is a major source, I never touched on the validity of anyone but Mehta. I mentioned him simply because he was one of the only three entities I saw any reports from on rotoworld or listed here: they were Pauline, Mehta or other sources citing Mehta. Not sure I get your hostility. You said you could site sources, I'm interested in seeing them.

I'm not in love with the FA period, but I don't see the huge misread of the market by Idzik.  He tried for Howard and balked and immediately signed a similar level player considerably cheaper.  He drilled the top WR for a decent price and showed little interest in any others.  They got the QB they (not me) wanted.  Corner is the only place that you can feel worried that what he wanted to do did not fit what happened.  I don't feel that great about what happened there, but I'm not worried and if they are going to go with a weakness I'd rather force Rex to scheme around it then expect to produce with crap on O.  They still can pounce if anybody they like pops up - see Johnson and Jackson.  I'm not in favor of dropping large coin on either, but they were there if we wanted to.  If a guy he likes shakes free they will be able to pounce.  If not, carry the money over and Decker's is the only contract that really involves 2015

LOL, what?  You mention "placing words in your mouth" regarding a guy who has been quoted saying the things he's been questioned on, and then reference something not one single person has come close to claiming, that the Jets have approached "not a single FA".

But as if that's not bad enough, you are seriously saying that the burden of proof should on those to prove that something didn't happen?  Forget football, from an aspect of pure logic this makes no sense.  The lack of evidence that something did occur is, in and of itself, all of the proof you need that it didn't happen.  After all, if these claims were true, it should be very easy to prove that, yet that still hasn't happened despite being asked repeatedly.

If you want to be unhappy about everything the Jets do, then you feel free to have fun with that, but that still doesn't make every negative thing conjured up in a post about the team true.

Odd.  Mike is the one who does that plenty.  Don't agree with his stance on passing up on a player, then he rewords you as never wanting to sign anyone, or his new claim that we are disagreeing with him (agreeing with Idzik) because we sincerely want to watch out for Woody Johnson's wallet.  Like that makes any sense.  But he claims that's an opinion of Jets fans even though no one has said, alluded to it, nor does anyone think it.  

I can't speak for others, but I have wanted a GM to take this draft-first approach for a while.  Mike wants to look at one draft class, assess their careers based on how they were in their first 2 months of their rookie season, and then abandon this method of team-building for anyone.

I wanted Idzik to stay away from pretty much everyone who we couldn't cut bait with if a better player came along through the draft, unless they were sure things to be a productive part of the team a few years from now at least.  Initially - had you asked me in February - I would have included WRs like Decker in that do-not-want category as well.  But that was cost-base.  It was back then the rumors flying around were that he was going to ludicrously get in the $10M/year range, because of a generally weak FA WR class, rather than the barely-$7M we signed him to.  

Build through the draft.  Get the best players you can.  Don't go for quick fixes while you're not even sure if you've got a keeper at QB.  If he screws up the draft picks, year after year I'll be pushing you out of the way to be first on line to have him sh*tcanned.  

But here you've categorized and labeled the opinions of everyone you disagree with, in exactly the same way you (incorrectly) claim these same "everyone" people are doing to Mike.  Or can you not see you're finding fault with people because of your claim that they're doing the very thing you're doing to all of them? lol

Mike has made his own bed by posting ludicrous claims, like Austin Howard is an "impact player," so we therefore should have outbid a Raiders team for him.  A Raiders team who doesn't even have the sense to play him at the position that they overbid for him to play in the first place, and who have made more head-scratching moves this offseason than just that.  If Oakland's GM has this little sense, it does not make more sense to pay even more than he did.  It's not like there was some drawn out fight for Howard's services among 10 teams who wanted him oh so badly.  He's fine.  Mike, however, wants to pay him like a top 5 RT.  We get a bargain instead; a very similarly-ranked player, for millions less, and this too he has an issue with because Giacomini isn't a stud RT.  He's framed it in such a way as getting a so-so RT is only worthwhile if you pay him like a stud.  Then he's an impact player. Giacomini, who started on the SB winner, and whose team had trouble running the ball in his absence, is not an impact player by comparison.  Also he claims we offered almost the same thing as Oakland did, which is factually incorrect.  $17M guaranteed is not almost the same as $12M guaranteed and he knows it.

His stances are so inconsistent, if not outright nonsensical, that he's getting appropriate backlash.  It's been going on for years and years.  Where did you think the "mad mike" name came from? He gave that name to himself because he's almost always angry about something.  He's entertaining, though.  It's kind of cute.  

Archived