Jets sign Jacoby Ford

Matt39

Britt is LIGHT YEARS better than David Nelson if he has his head on straight and isn't hurt... Both of which are unlikely though. 

No he's not. First, he can't stay on the field. Second, he's a 1st round pick that usually ask for much higher contract simply because of the perceived potential they carry. Nelson is making 1/3 of what Kenny is making and Nelson will have a much better impact that Kenny. Heck, Nelson had over 400 yards after being picked up off the street during the season and we all saw how many times Geno missed a wide open Nelson. Homerism? Maybe, but I know Britt is not worth any crap he brings to this team, on the field or off the field.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. We have a ton of picks to put some more talent in to the team, plus our 2013 draft picks would be much improved now. Oh, n we also have $30mi in cap left so we can go bizzerk in the "mini FA".

What do you mean?  I said pretty fair shape.  You sound like you are describing "pretty fair shape" to me.

What do you mean?  I said pretty fair shape.  You sound like you are describing "pretty fair shape" to me.

I was just adding to the facts u mentioned. Better than "pretty fair shape" imo. Wasn't trying to pin point u. Most people around here act like chicken little, but in fact, Jets are in a much better spot than they were last year. We haven't lost a single player worth anything besides Cro, Howard and Santonio and they all have been replaced with better talent (in Cro's case, its addition by subtraction based on his last yr here).

GdC4pGb.jpg

Waldorf: "Did you hear that the Jets were interested in Desean Jackson and DRC?"

Statler: "No, how'd that workout?"

Waldorf: "Yeah, but they settled for Jacoby Ford and Dimitri Patterson!"

Both: "Aaahaahahaaahahahaaaaahaha!"

For the record I like both these signings...I think they add depth and its a starting point.

Im just having fun with the posters that hate everything not name brand.

No he's not. First, he can't stay on the field. Second, he's a 1st round pick that usually ask for much higher contract simply because of the perceived potential they carry. Nelson is making 1/3 of what Kenny is making and Nelson will have a much better impact that Kenny. Heck, Nelson had over 400 yards after being picked up off the street during the season and we all saw how many times Geno missed a wide open Nelson. Homerism? Maybe, but I know Britt is not worth any crap he brings to this team, on the field or off the field.

These are both not starters on a good team but Britt has much more upside. (Not that the Jets should've signed him but he's a much better scrap heap pickup then Ford.)

He has played in 22 games and missed 26 in the past 3 seasons due to injury, It's a value signing, but also a high risk, high reward one. If he can't stay healthy again the jets will once again lack speed. For such a need position (burner), this is a risky player to bank on.

I like the signing, but let's wait and see if he makes it out of camp b4 we order the SB tickets.

3 million a year is not near vet min

I posted that prior to the contract coming out, I was obviously wrong in my assumption. If anything, I think it might give credence to the notion that Idzik is not necessarily cheap, but that he just won't spend on players he doesn't want.  

These are both not starters on a good team but Britt has much more upside. (Not that the Jets should've signed him but he's a much better scrap heap pickup then Ford.)

Difference of opinion i guess, but I think Miles Austin would've been a far better option than either one.

He has played in 22 games and missed 26 in the past 3 seasons due to injury, It's a value signing, but also a high risk, high reward one. If he can't stay healthy again the jets will once again lack speed. For such a need position (burner), this is a risky player to bank on.

I like the signing, but let's wait and see if he makes it out of camp b4 we order the SB tickets.

I'm not sure I would necessarily deem it as high risk.  Granted there's a decent chance he ends up having a low impact, due to injury or whatever other reason, but I'm sure they know that and I guess I disagree with the concept that they might be banking on him.  I would doubt this signing will make any impact on how they approach the draft nor was going to change their interest in Jackson had they not gotten Ford.  Ultimately I'm guessing they'll still approach the offseason in the same manner they would have without him on the roster, while hoping it works out for them but also probably not by any means locking him into a roster spot just yet.  After all, Decker and Kerley are obviously stone cold locks to make the roster over him, and I would say that Nelson and Hill are probably ahead of him going into OTAs and camp as well, so if they draft anyone at WR it quickly becomes a matter of him fighting for a spot.  I suppose we'll see, and I agree it would be unwise for them to go into the season relying on him, but assuming they're smart enough not to do that, then it should be fine.

3 million a year is not near vet min

I thought you meant Ford and I was pissed.  Patterson got more than I expected $3M for 1.  The deal he was on in Miami was a big deal he had signed with the Browns.  Nobody has ever heard of him, but he was playing out the $16M for 3 he had signed in Cleveland.  The Dolphins picked him up off waivers.  He's gotten starts for the Eagles, Browns, and Dolphins the past 3 years.

I thought you meant Ford and I was pissed.  Patterson got more than I expected $3M for 1.  The deal he was on in Miami was a big deal he had signed with the Browns.  Nobody has ever heard of him, but he was playing out the $16M for 3 he had signed in Cleveland.  The Dolphins picked him up off waivers.  He's gotten starts for the Eagles, Browns, and Dolphins the past 3 years.

He can play both the slot and the outside which is nice. Never stays healthy though...somewhat of a puzzling signing I guess.

He can play both the slot and the outside which is nice. Never stays healthy though...somewhat of a puzzling signing I guess.

Yeah.  Last year he had a groin injury and kept trying to play.  He supposedly played in 6 games, but left 4 early.  Gets turnovers which would be a welcome change. 

what the hell happened to miles austin? why not take a "flyer" on someone like that? injury history amd maybe some inconsistency yet hes shown something.

I'm sure the special teams play factors into it.  Miles Austin is a WR and contributes to nothing else.  In this regard, Ford is more versatile; makes activating him on game day easier if neither of them are starting.

Don't know what Austin's asking for either, or if he's just waiting it out to see if someone gets injured or if a team banking on drafting a WR doesn't get one they feel can (or should) start right away.

If the guarantees are low enough that he could be cut at the end of September, I'd give Austin a look.  But it's been some time since he's been good (never mind reliable), and despite his young age he doesn't have Ford's wheels.  He's been beat up pretty good, or anyway it seems like it.

Ford is a depth signing, not a starter/receiver-only signing.  Austin is tough to use as depth because he isn't going to play specials, and he's too unreliable to even pencil in as the starter for the season.  So he's tough to fit, and it's probably the main reason why he's still a free agent.  Otherwise someone might have already just signed him as a why-not flyer.

I'm sure the special teams play factors into it.  Miles Austin is a WR and contributes to nothing else.  In this regard, Ford is more versatile; makes activating him on game day easier if neither of them are starting.

Don't know what Austin's asking for either, or if he's just waiting it out to see if someone gets injured or if a team banking on drafting a WR doesn't get one they feel can (or should) start right away.

If the guarantees are low enough that he could be cut at the end of September, I'd give Austin a look.  But it's been some time since he's been good (never mind reliable), and despite his young age he doesn't have Ford's wheels.  He's been beat up pretty good, or anyway it seems like it.

Ford is a depth signing, not a starter/receiver-only signing.  Austin is tough to use as depth because he isn't going to play specials, and he's too unreliable to even pencil in as the starter for the season.  So he's tough to fit, and it's probably the main reason why he's still a free agent.  Otherwise someone might have already just signed him as a why-not flyer.

The way the roster is right now, Ford will play a lot of WR and that doesn't say much for the pathetic extent to which they have upgraded the worst set of skill players in the sport. 

Bingo.  With very few exceptions, players down on the depth chart are almost always going to be relied on to contribute to special teams, which is a big part of what gets them on the active roster.  At this point Austin isn't going to do that, so either he'd have to win the #2 job outright or he'd be down to #4 at best without being able to contribute in those other areas the way any of the other depth guys they have at the position could.  Ford on the other hand could have additional value or simply be cut without issue.

Bingo.  With very few exceptions, players down on the depth chart are almost always going to be relied on to contribute to special teams, which is a big part of what gets them on the active roster.  At this point Austin isn't going to do that, so either he'd have to win the #2 job outright or he'd be down to #4 at best without being able to contribute in those other areas the way any of the other depth guys they have at the position could.  Ford on the other hand could have additional value or simply be cut without issue.

Although if Idzik was truly mimicking Seattle to a T, this wouldn't necessarily be a factor as the Seahawks played more starters on ST than any team in the league.  Aside from that, Austin was a pre-FA media guess.  No confirmed interest in him that I'm aware of. 

****Meant for the Patterson thread****

Most importantly, there is this:

Almost all of Antonio Cromartie’s $3.5 million salary in 2014 will be guaranteed by theArizona Cardinals

His base salary will be $2.25 million which is in addition to a $1 million signing bonus agreed to last week. That totals $3.25 million, leaving a $250,000 roster bonus as the only non-guaranteed money for Cromartie. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/5336/breaking-down-cromarties-contract

I'm not sure of Patterson's terms, but all $3M/1 year deals are not alike.

He is not a #1 WR more like a #3 WR I see Idzik is spending his money wisely hahahahahaha yeah right. I can't wait until this idiot general manager selects some player we haven't heard of instead of a WR such as Marquis Lee who the jets would benefit with at Wide receiver  every body complains about Idzik even more. The Jets hired a clown at general manager. Bring in the Sad Clowns!

The way the roster is right now, Ford will play a lot of WR and that doesn't say much for the pathetic extent to which they have upgraded the worst set of skill players in the sport. 

If only there was a draft coming up.  If only the season weren't starting tomorrow.  Oh well. 

I bet we can make a longer list of teams that bank on the draft and succeed than teams that bank on high priced veteran FAs and succeed.

None of those teams bank on the impacts the Jets have from rookies in idzik's first two years here. And it's not close. The Jets will literally have to have rookies play like pro bowlers (multiple rookies) or be a bad team. 

Archived