"Cant teach 6-5"

SonnyJet

I feel like Kelvin Benjamin is a freak athlete and is really acrobatic with his catches. Big and strong and showed he could get the long ball. I feel like he is one of the true number ones in this draft. But he is very very raw and messes up the routine catches like its nothing. I dont want Cooks either anymore. Lee is the guy at 18th if we go WR. 

I feel like Kelvin Benjamin is a freak athlete and is really acrobatic with his catches. Big and strong and showed he could get the long ball. I feel like he is one of the true number ones in this draft. But he is very very raw and messes up the routine catches like its nothing. I dont want Cooks either anymore. Lee is the guy at 18th if we go WR. 

Dude was unstoppable towards the end of the NCAACG. I like him in the second.

The problem with Benjamin is that if you could teach 6'5", he hasn't had enough college reps to learn it.  I think he is going to take longer than some of the guys drafted around him to acclimate to the pro game.  He really only had one full year of productive college play.  He was the number 4 option his other year.  He is going to be green for awhile.

Kelvin Benjamin will be a bust for the team that thinks the only thing that matters is 6'5.  

I agree with this. If we're going to talk height, then Evans should be the topic. Benjamin is this years Stephen Hill. 

I've seen a lot of chatter directed towards the Jets interest in another Stephen Hill project - Martavous Bryant from Clemson.  A 6'4 guy who's quite competitive, a bit raw and needs to bulk up.  I personally hope Idzik doesn't see the need in having another such developing prospect. 

I've seen a lot of chatter directed towards the Jets interest in another Stephen Hill project - Martavous Bryant from Clemson.  A 6'4 guy who's quite competitive, a bit raw and needs to bulk up.  I personally hope Idzik doesn't see the need in having another such developing prospect. 

I think Bryant is a developmental WR, I think Benjamin is a bust waiting to happen. I'd draft Bryant.

I think Bryant is a developmental WR, I think Benjamin is a bust waiting to happen. I'd draft Bryant.

I wouldn't be surprised either on Benjamin.  Surely you saw the article mentioning the Jets all over Benjamin now?  Lying season has begun.

Really have no interest in Benjamin, he drops too many, appartently is not a good route runner, and lets the ball come to him instead of go getting the ball with his hands. Stephen Hill does the same thing. Hill is under the impression that in the NFL he can basket catch every throw. I don't want another repeat of that pick.

I wouldn't be surprised either on Benjamin.  Surely you saw the article mentioning the Jets all over Benjamin now?  Lying season has begun.

Sh t, knowing my past frustrations with this team it may very well be possible lmao. I would stay far away from Benjamin unless he falls to like the 4th or 5th round. I wouldn't touch this guy in the firste3 rounds. 

Really have no interest in Benjamin, he drops too many, appartently is not a good route runner, and lets the ball come to him instead of go getting the ball with his hands. Stephen Hill does the same thing. Hill is under the impression that in the NFL he can basket catch every throw. I don't want another repeat of that pick.

Yet another good point. What's the point or benefit  of being 6'5 if  you body catch? He plays smaller than his height just like Stephen hill. Body catching shrinks your catch radius so a guy like 5'10 Jarvis Landry can have a larger catch radius than a 6'4 Stephen Hill.  This once again shows that it's better to fall in love with hands rather than the things you can't teach like height or speed. 

Yet another good point. What's the point or benefit  of being 6'5 if  you body catch? He plays smaller than his height just like Stephen hill. Body catching shrinks your catch radius so a guy like 5'10 Jarvis Landry can have a larger catch radius than a 6'4 Stephen Hill.  This once again shows that it's better to fall in love with hands rather than the things you can't teach like height or speed. 

Kelvin Benjamin and Jarvis Landry have not proven any theory yet.  Let's see which has a better NFL career before we start using them to prove some illusory point. 

Watch Calvin Johnson play for a handful of games, he body-catches a large number of balls thrown his way.  When you're running a route, it's better to body catch some of the poorly thrown balls in stride, rather than cutting off your route in order to reverse diamond catch it.  

Listen, I love Landry, I've seen probably every game he's played in college, but he's put together one good season in his three year career at LSU. He's also body-caught his own fair share of balls. If he succeeds, it's not going to be due to this catch radius theory you have going.

Everything talked about is based on their collegiate performance which is not a theory. 

False.  We are talking about drafting guys.  We don't even know who will be drafted higher.  Even many of the size/speed guys around here are leery of Benjamin.

This once again shows that it's better to fall in love with hands rather than the things you can't teach like height or speed. 

It's probably better not to fall in love with either and just take the better prospect, but to the extent is is "better to fall in love" you are talking about who will have the better career.  That remains to be seen.

Watch Calvin Johnson play for a handful of games, he body-catches a large number of balls thrown his way.  When you're running a route, it's better to body catch some of the poorly thrown balls in stride, rather than cutting off your route in order to reverse diamond catch it.  

Listen, I love Landry, I've seen probably every game he's played in college, but he's put together one good season in his three year career at LSU. He's also body-caught his own fair share of balls. If he succeeds, it's not going to be due to this catch radius theory you have going.

If you are body catching a ball that means that the ball is near your chest. That my friend is not a poorly thrown ball. Every WR body catches, some display reliable consistent hands away from the body (like poorly thrown balls) which Benjamin doesn't do. I didn't say he never had a spectacular catch, I'm saying that he isn't a consistent target and his hands are questionable at best. 

Watch Calvin Johnson play for a handful of games, he body-catches a large number of balls thrown his way. When you're running a route, it's better to body catch some of the poorly thrown balls in stride, rather than cutting off your route in order to reverse diamond catch it.

Calvin johnson does body catch, but when he has already beaten the corner or the safety. However, when he goes up for jump balls or comebacks that is all hands. Hands catches aren't the catches you make when the ball is thrown to you in stride, they're the ones on the sideline, in the air, or coming back to the ball.

If you are body catching a ball that means that the ball is near your chest. That my friend is not a poorly thrown ball. Every WR body catches, some display reliable consistent hands away from the body (like poorly thrown balls) which Benjamin doesn't do. I didn't say he never had a spectacular catch, I'm saying that he isn't a consistent target and his hands are questionable at best. 

You said body-catching, not chest-catching. When you're 6'5" or so, there are plenty of balls that are thrown from just below your waist to right below the numbers, when you're running full speed, the majority of guys will trap it with their stomach and continue with their routes. 

I'm not big on Benji, but the whole hands-catching argument doesn't hold as much water to me as it does for others. When you're at the level which these guys are, the majority of drops are due to lapses in concentration or fear of going over the middle, not because of some innate lack of coordination. You don't see guys like Braylon Edwards go from league-leading drops to one or two a year because his hands suddenly got better, it's because he became dedicated to concentration and relying on fundamentals.  It's the same reason Stephen Hill went from zomg worst hands ever, to having just one drop.  

Sure, some guys have better natural hands than others, but I'm not drafting someone in the first because of elite hands only, he needs to have other elite attributes e.g. speed, size, leaping ability, route running etc. And for some people, elite size that Benji has is something worth drafting for.  Your boy Jeffery wouldn't have been drafted in the first two rounds or tearing up the league if he were half a foot shorter, not the way he plays the game.

Calvin johnson does body catch, but when he has already beaten the corner or the safety. However, when he goes up for jump balls or comebacks that is all hands. Hands catches aren't the catches you make when the ball is thrown to you in stride, they're the ones on the sideline, in the air, or coming back to the ball.

I know the difference between the two and I wasn't using this description as a way to disparage CJ, moreso the notion that you are one or the other. All elite receivers catch the ball with their body at some point. Pretty simply, if the guy is putting up 1000+ and 8+, I can live with them dropping some here and there, as most of the elite receivers do.

Archived