Glad Jets didn't sign Jackson

Cmartin

Philadelphia, PA (CBS) — In the days following DeSean Jackson’s release by the Eagles, speculation ran rampant as to the reasons why. Everything was to blame from Jackson’s petulant, rambunctious sideline behavior, to his alleged gang ties, to Jackson’s character, to this being Chip Kelly’s fault.

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.

Several other sources also suggested that Jeremy Maclin may have had an issue if Jackson returned to the Eagles in 2014. He wasn’t alone, if that’s true.

“The fact is, [Jackson] was a ‘me-guy’ with an attitude problem and [Maclin] is the complete opposite, a team guy, a great character guy you go to war with,” said one source. “Funny how [Jackson] has this anti-bully thing and he thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff. The team knew it. Everyone knew he had ‘ties.’ Those were his guys. That’s okay. What put him out was his selfishness. He can try and spin it all he wants how he’s ‘a team player.’ He’s not. I’ll put it this way, when it came out last Friday that [Jackson] was released, more than a few guys were happy it happened. They said ‘good riddance.’ He had no real connection with anyone.

“Yes, you can say he was the type that could catch three TDs in a loss—everyone would be down, but you had the impression he was happy, because he got his. It was all about him. A lot of guys thought that way about him. [Kelly] came in here with a plan to get this thing right, and the one major [obstacle] standing in his way was [Jackson]. If we were going to move forward as a team, he had to go. Think about it—did anyone come right out and back him publicly? Not one.”

Why didn’t Andy Reid or Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, want any part of Jackson before he signed a three-year, $24-million contract with the Redskins on Wednesday?

They apparently knew the potential headache Jackson was.

Kelly received some culpability in the opinion of some. But numerous sources confirmed that “Big Balls” Chip should have been canonized St. Chip after putting up with the instigating Jackson in 2013.

“You see little kids and how they cry and whine when they don’t get their way, that was D-Jax,” another source said. “I don’t think [Jackson] gave [Kelly] the respect he deserved. Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out. Then you look at team functions, when everyone is out together at charity things or social stuff. He was the one missing. It was like he was in ‘D-Jax world’ and we just happened to be there.

“With Reid, [Jackson] tried pushing boundaries there, too, but he looked at Reid, I think, much differently than he looked at [Kelly]. Reid came in with an NFL pedigree. He was the guy that drafted [Jackson]. He was the one that called him on draft day and laid the law down right then: [Reid] wouldn’t tolerate any outside interference from anyone. Now you get this college guy [Kelly] and he’s not going to tell [Jackson] what to do. [Kelly] has a vision for this team—and he is a very old-school coach in a lot of ways. But there’s only so much [a coach] can take.”

In 2012, under Reid, Eagles’ management did reward Jackson a new five-year deal worth $48 million. He did have some minor flare ups with the law. In 2009, Jackson was pulled over by police for having illegally tinted windows and it was discovered he had marijuana in the car.

Still, Jackson stayed.

“That was all [Reid’s] doing,” opined someone close to the situation that asked that his name not be used. “[Reid] thought he could control [Jackson]. He could, to a degree. Kelly put up with [Jackson] behind closed doors. A lot of guys didn’t like how he talked to [Kelly]. And a lot of guys just didn’t like him. They thought he was too into his rap label than he was about winning games. The guy performed, there’s no questioning that. But you had to keep a constant eye on him. Guys put in extra time. He didn’t. It’s like he never grew up.”

Asked why the Eagles have been reluctant to go public with how difficult Jackson was to deal with, sources said Kelly likes to keep in-house dirt in-house.

“That’s [Kelly’s] way,” said one source. “It pisses me off that [Kelly] comes off looking like the bad guy here. It wasn’t just [Kelly] that wanted him gone. [Kelly] got a lot of feedback from guys that felt we were better off without [Jackson], too. [Kelly] is very much a player’s coach. His office is open to anyone. Now [Jackson] is the Redskins’ problem. We have something good going here and it’s going to get better without [Jackson]. He had to go.”

Whatever, it'll always be that cheap Iz-dick's fault to me.

Yes, it makes total sense to call someone cheap or at fault for not paying big dollars to bring in a selfish, me first headache into a good locker just because he's available.

I'm ok with passing on him if he's that bad for the locker room, but this part of the article is (allegedly) factually incorrect:

"Why didn’t Andy Reid or Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, want any part of Jackson before he signed a three-year, $24-million contract with the Redskins on Wednesday?"

MM was in favor of bringing him in, or that's what was leaked out anyway.  And it's understandable for him to say that even if he knew Jackson was terrible for team morale. MM's in a position where he may be more concerned with just putting up some numbers even if it's to the detriment of the team as a whole.  If our offense lays an egg again, even if he doesn't do anything really wrong per se, it's possible he could be out of a job again.

MM was in favor of bringing him in, or that's what was leaked out anyway. And it's understandable for him to say that even if he knew Jackson was terrible for team morale. MM's in a position where he may be more concerned with just putting up some numbers even if it's to the detriment of the team as a whole. If our offense lays an egg again, even if he doesn't do anything really wrong per se, it's possible he could be out of a job again.

Sperm, of all the "links to players" we had mild to no interest in really signing thus creating the appearance of strikeouts...to the reports of possible dissension we've had with staff regarding the lack of getting certain players...Im ok with giving MM a pass on this "leak"

Ive read it too, so Im not implying youre pulling it out of thin air...Im just willing to write it off as bs.

I think the "beat smiters" have come so accustom to these leaks and tips being present...theyre grasping now.

Just seems to fit the pattern of whats been occuring lately.

JMO

I'm curious as to what we'll all be saying if our Offense is just above "Flat Lining" again and we miss the playoffs by a game or two? Meanwhile DJ is putting up 1,300 yards and 10 TD's with Wash., no locker room drama and an NFC East crown.

Woulda' ; Coulda' ; Shoulda'

I'm curious as to what we'll all be saying if our Offense is just above "Flat Lining" again and we miss the playoffs by a game or two? Meanwhile DJ is putting up 1,300 yards and 10 TD's with Wash., no locker room drama and an NFC East crown.

Woulda' ; Coulda' ; Shoulda'

By many reports DJax can only go so long without...going all DJax.

Its only a matter of time Booz

EDIT

And if this tells us anything...its that Phillys locker room deserves kudos for this remaining in house as long and as much as its happened.

Woulda' ; Coulda' ; Shoulda'

Winning the NFC East is not really that impressive, is it?

I'm ok with passing on him if he's that bad for the locker room, but this part of the article is (allegedly) factually incorrect:

"Why didn’t Andy Reid or Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, want any part of Jackson before he signed a three-year, $24-million contract with the Redskins on Wednesday?"

MM was in favor of bringing him in, or that's what was leaked out anyway.  And it's understandable for him to say that even if he knew Jackson was terrible for team morale. MM's in a position where he may be more concerned with just putting up some numbers even if it's to the detriment of the team as a whole.  If our offense lays an egg again, even if he doesn't do anything really wrong per se, it's possible he could be out of a job again.

I am trying to find out what MM really thought.....his vote would weigh heavily imo.

Archived