Star Wars VII Has Begun Filming

RutgersJetFan

That's because he lied about it for a months, specifically stating that Cumberbatch wasn't going to be Khan. It was only a surprise because he flat out denied it. I never was a Trekie, so it didn't really matter to me, but I'm sure there were many people annoyed by it.

Which is awesome. Anything to annoy Trekies.

I think he's also stated that he respects the openness of the Star Wars franchise and will be sharing more with fans than he's done in the past because of the standards that have been set. Aside from Vader being Luke's father this has never really been a franchise that's been about surprise endings or plot twists. Not to mention that we already know what happens with the kids anyways.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's also stated that he respects the openness of the Star Wars franchise and will be sharing more with fans than he's done in the past because of the standards that have been set. Aside from Vader being Luke's father this has never really been a franchise that's been about surprise endings or plot twists. Not to mention that we already know what happens with the kids anyways.

Pretty much. I look at it a lot like I looked at LOTRs. I know exactly what's going to happen and the only thing I want from them is to nail the casting and tell the story without f*cking it up. They do that and I'll love them forever.  

*Regard LOTRs.  I know it pissed off a lot of fans, but the simple fact that Peter Jackson took Tom Bombadil out from the fellowship made me a fan of his for life. I know it was more due to time constraints and whatnot, but I always hated that 60 page excerpt from the book. Every time I got to it I just assumed Tolkien was hitting the old peace pipe a bit too strong.

Hey! We Trekkies are a proud and noble people! lol

ea9eb069929a24a1e4d3691671bbbf7a.jpg

For the record, yeah the Khan thing was annoying. He was the coolest character from the original movies and Abrams just plain didn't do him justice. It's like he just cherry-picked a bunch of random plot lines and vernacular from the Star Trek canon, threw them into a blender and called it a movie.

Imagine if he completely changed up a beloved Star Wars character like Boba Fett with a half-assed back story and completely different motivations. There would be rioting.

Pretty much. I look at it a lot like I looked at LOTRs. I know exactly what's going to happen and the only thing I want from them is to nail the casting and tell the story without f*cking it up. They do that and I'll love them forever.  

*Regard LOTRs.  I know it pissed off a lot of fans, but the simple fact that Peter Jackson took Tom Bombadil out from the fellowship made me a fan of his for life. I know it was more due to time constraints and whatnot, but I always hated that 60 page excerpt from the book. Every time I got to it I just assumed Tolkien was hitting the old peace pipe a bit too strong.

LOTR and star wars in the same thread ?   pure awesomeness

he had to take out tom.  about the only thing it cost him was explaining where the hobbits got their "swords".  He also had to take out all the political stuff between denethor and aragorn, but without out it denethor going mad seemed odd to a lot of casual fans I'm sure.

he over emphasized the battle scenes to a degree for my taste.  sure you have to have an epic helms deep and pelennor fields, you have to have the black gate, but he could have trimmed those by 15% or so to make room for the other parts.

putting shelob in the third movie was just greedy

making arwen a major character was probably the only way he got liv in the movie, but obnoxious just the same

taking this part of the appendices and putting in the film was an act of genius, but I think it was boyens idea

He will come to death an image of the splendor of the kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world

http://youtu.be/Ilo2gMNtKLc

Just googled it actually. Abrams has confirmed Episode VII takes place 30 years after Jedi.

so at the end of jedi, annakin is back on the light side, but dies, and sidious gets thrown down a gigantic ventilation shaft and we see an explosion. 

so who carries on the sith ? 

so at the end of jedi, annakin is back on the light side, but dies, and sidious gets thrown down a gigantic ventilation shaft and we see an explosion. 

so who carries on the sith ? 

There's a woman trained in secret by Vader and Palpatine as an assassin named Lumiya. I have no clue if she'll be included with her backstory told, but long story short she corrupts Jacen Solo (Han and Leia's son) and he becomes Darth Caedus. It sounds a little routine-ish but it's actually a very badass and dark story. The relationships between Luke, Han, and their sons have been a really great source of stories in the expanded universe. My guess is that Abrams uses some variation of that, at the very least the descent of Jacen.

He made 9 hours worth of movies. You have to cut sh*t off somewhere. People complain too much. We're living in an age where every single movie looks awesome. Literally, almost every single one, created with a huge staff and the best technology in the world at the helm. 9/10 of them aren't good enough for most. People forget how far along movies have come in such a short period of time. Special effects looked like sh*t up until very recently. Spoiled brats we've all become.

Hey! We Trekkies are a proud and noble people! lol

ea9eb069929a24a1e4d3691671bbbf7a.jpg

For the record, yeah the Khan thing was annoying. He was the coolest character from the original movies and Abrams just plain didn't do him justice. It's like he just cherry-picked a bunch of random plot lines and vernacular from the Star Trek canon, threw them into a blender and called it a movie.

Imagine if he completely changed up a beloved Star Wars character like Boba Fett with a half-assed back story and completely different motivations. There would be rioting.

That is one of my favorite scenes ever. And I have definitely reacted similarly when people talk sh*t about Vader or Han.

I dunno, I get it, but I also don't. The Star Trek franchise was in the sh*tter and nobody outside the Trekie world cared about it for a long time. Abrams made it a relevant franchise again. IMO that should be good enough to overlook canonical discrepancies.

That's because he lied about it for a months, specifically stating that Cumberbatch wasn't going to be Khan. It was only a surprise because he flat out denied it. I never was a Trekie, so it didn't really matter to me, but I'm sure there were many people annoyed by it.

Lying about was lame, but making Kahn a white guy and the reasons why he did it was PCing at its ridiculous heights.

Oh, lets make a movie about Idi Amin and cast John Goodman to play him!

Khan had a great backstory that whitewashing complete took away.

Anyway, Im quietly optimistic about the new trilogy. The prequels were such a lost opportunity. They should be remade after the new trilogy is done.

I neg repped Jerry's post by accident. I completely agree.

There's a woman trained in secret by Vader and Palpatine as an assassin named Lumiya. I have no clue if she'll be included with her backstory told, but long story short she corrupts Jacen Solo (Han and Leia's son) and he becomes Darth Caedus. It sounds a little routine-ish but it's actually a very badass and dark story. The relationships between Luke, Han, and their sons have been a really great source of stories in the expanded universe. My guess is that Abrams uses some variation of that, at the very least the descent of Jacen.

I hope not. After the prequels, they could do with a break form all the Jedi stuff, let the Sith sit til the next set of films.

I'd like to see them go with the Thrawn trilogy or a variation thereof.

good grief.  they already did that story with annakin.  I guess with 9 movies to make you are going to run out of ideas for character motivation.  they need a new enemy imho

good grief. they already did that story with annakin. I guess with 9 movies to make you are going to run out of ideas for character motivation. they need a new enemy imho

This is what I was trying to tell you. The reason it sounds repetitive is because I summed it up in one sentence. The actual story is not similar.

I hope not. After the prequels, they could do with a break form all the Jedi stuff, let the Sith sit til the next set of films.

I'd like to see them go with the Thrawn trilogy or a variation thereof.

I don't think you can let Caedus sit for that long because Ford and Hamill probably aren't doing anything past this next trilogy. Getting that story done hinges entirely on their involvement. I think they've already confirmed that the movies are going to focus on the children.

As Larz said, they spent three films detailing how Anakin fell to the dark side, I don't think they'll want to repeat that. Though you could have Farmboy setting up his Jedi Academy, with all the related Jedi/Sith shenanigans there.

Again, I'm just reiterating what's been confirmed. This isn't speculation. If there's anything regarding Jacen and Ben as younger kids my guess would be it would be some sort of intro to episode VII, but Abrams and Disney have already confirmed the timeline and the premise.

I also don't think the trilogy will be centered on Jacen, like I-III was with Anakin. It would be part of the story, but not the overall arch.

I read this entire thread. I can see the fanboy splooge through my screen, guy.

I like all of it - Trek, Star Wars, LotR, all of it. I'm a nerd.

That said, I have the horrific feeling this will be awful, particularly if Lucas wrote it and nobody else edited. The original three films were ok - not great, but ok writing - made exponentially better with great casting. The recent ones are bad writing, bad casting, the works. Maybe Abrams can save it, but until I see the results I have a pretty bad feeling about it.

That is one of my favorite scenes ever. And I have definitely reacted similarly when people talk sh*t about Vader or Han.

I dunno, I get it, but I also don't. The Star Trek franchise was in the sh*tter and nobody outside the Trekie world cared about it for a long time. Abrams made it a relevant franchise again. IMO that should be good enough to overlook canonical discrepancies.

I think what got things started out on the wrong foot for me with Abrams' Star Trek was the fact that he went on record saying that he was not and never had been a fan. That right there gave him license to take a big, fat dump on all the established timelines and relationships between the characters and reinvent things the way he saw fit. That's good for reinvigorating the franchise toward a new audience (not to mention making money), but bad for alienating people like me who grew up on the movies and came to love Star Trek for its cerebral, clever tone and character interactions.

The reboots--especially the first one--just seemed hideously stupid and rushed to me. Case in point, in the first movie they banished Kirk to an unpopulated planet for insubordination, where he just happens to run into Spock and Scotty. But oh, man, the Enterprise has been traveling away from this planet at warp speed for the past several hours...no problem, we'll just beam you there, yo. (Too bad transporters--not to mention science--don't work like that.) Blah, blah, black hole, blah, blah eject the warp core, blah, blah, LOL NVM Kirk is the captain of the ship now. The end. Gag me.

/end cliche dissenting internet guy rant

30e39677f4fa71d1902c9043636b396f.jpg

Also, I saw this a few days ago. Haven't heard any new information since. This is supposedly from this week somewhere in Abu Dhabi.

Sightings-Of-The-Set-Of-S-011.jpg

People have said it kind of looks like an AT-AT foot. Could be wishful thinking, though. This may or may not even be the Star Wars set.

starwarsatat.01.jpg

That said, I have the horrific feeling this will be awful, particularly if Lucas wrote it and nobody else edited.

He didn't. The writing and rewriting of the script for VII has been one of the bigger stories for the past year. When Disney bought the franchise both Lucas and Disney confirmed that nothing had been written, but there were rough sketches of where he had planned on going with the stories that Disney would probably incorporate. Regardless, like I've been trying to stress to no avail, Lucas has no control at all over this series and certainly hasn't worked on anything autonomously. This has all been reported over and over for months and confirmed by everyone involved.

...Lucas has no control at all over this series and certainly hasn't worked on anything autonomously. 

I sooo want you to be right.  But early on I heard them saying "Mr Lucas will be on hand as a consultant".  I just hope they keep him on a tight leash.

I sooo want you to be right. But early on I heard them saying "Mr Lucas will be on hand as a consultant". I just hope they keep him on a tight leash.

Dude, this is Abrams' ship to steer, that is 1 billion percent the case. Cry about lens flares or Cumberpatch not being hellawesome enough and that because something something Star Trek there's no way he gets Star Wars right, fine, but this isn't Lucas' franchise anymore and it's been that way for a while. I'm phone posting so I can't link it up but this has been covered to death for over a year now.

I got ya covered. Pulled these quotes from a pretty long-winded article somewhere...

The writers

The current draft of the script has been penned by Abrams alongside Lawrence Kasdan, co-writer of The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark, from an original by Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt. The respective writers' CVs are definitely encouraging. A cheeky bonus also comes in the form of Damon Lindelof's absence. Sorry Damon.

Horn said Episode VII would take place 35 years after The Return of the Jedi, using an original plot outline by George Lucas (who is involved as a creative consultant) as a template. The original script was said to be primarily concerned with the offspring of Luke and of Han and Leia, but that focus has now shifted to the creaky lead actors from the original trilogy, though the Solo and Skywalker nippers will still feature heavily.

The story of Luke, Han and Leia continued, of course, in the books, games and comics of the Extended Universe (most notably in Timothy Zahn's excellent Thrawn Trilogy), but it's been reported that the upcoming film will plough its own furrow instead of adhering to a pre-existing narrative. And, as far as confirmed plot details go, that's... about it.

I think the "creative consultant" tag on Lucas doesn't mean much of anything. They'd probably do the opposite of what he said anyway. Abrams' fingerprints will be all over this one, for better or worse. I'm still going to cry about something, something Star Trek until this comes out, though.

I got ya covered. Pulled these quotes from a pretty long-winded article somewhere...

The writers

The current draft of the script has been penned by Abrams alongside Lawrence Kasdan, co-writer of The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark, from an original by Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt. The respective writers' CVs are definitely encouraging. A cheeky bonus also comes in the form of Damon Lindelof's absence. Sorry Damon.

Horn said Episode VII would take place 35 years after The Return of the Jedi, using an original plot outline by George Lucas (who is involved as a creative consultant) as a template. The original script was said to be primarily concerned with the offspring of Luke and of Han and Leia, but that focus has now shifted to the creaky lead actors from the original trilogy, though the Solo and Skywalker nippers will still feature heavily.

The story of Luke, Han and Leia continued, of course, in the books, games and comics of the Extended Universe (most notably in Timothy Zahn's excellent Thrawn Trilogy), but it's been reported that the upcoming film will plough its own furrow instead of adhering to a pre-existing narrative. And, as far as confirmed plot details go, that's... about it.

I think the "creative consultant" tag on Lucas doesn't mean much of anything. They'd probably do the opposite of what he said anyway. Abrams' fingerprints will be all over this one, for better or worse. I'm still going to cry about something, something Star Trek until this comes out, though.

Thanks. I honestly don't think he has much of a desire to be a key cog in it anyways. He seems pretty caught up in his family and his charity work and he admitted to losing interest in the big blockbuster stuff before he sold off the franchise. I also think him giving the entire $4 billion to charity is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Thanks. I honestly don't think he has much of a desire to be a key cog in it anyways. He seems pretty caught up in his family and his charity work and he admitted to losing interest in the big blockbuster stuff before he sold off the franchise. I also think him giving the entire $4 billion to charity is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I know Lucas gets a lot of vitriol directed his way over the re-releases, prequels, etc. but I will say this: He seems like a genuinely kindhearted guy from what I've read of him, so I can definitely respect him for that. Plus he gets credit for scoring the merchandising and sequel rights to the original movies--not to mention the fact that he basically told the Directors Guild to go f*ck themselves after they gave him crap over the opening credits (or lack thereof) and went at it alone, which was pretty ballsy. He's a case study in believing in yourself.

I know Lucas gets a lot of vitriol directed his way over the re-releases, prequels, etc. but I will say this: He seems like a genuinely kindhearted guy from what I've read of him, so I can definitely respect him for that. Plus he gets credit for scoring the merchandising and sequel rights to the original movies--not to mention the fact that he basically told the Directors Guild to go f*ck themselves after they gave him crap over the opening credits (or lack thereof) and went at it alone, which was pretty ballsy. He's a case study in believing in yourself.

Yeah, that's exactly why he chose Kershner to direct Empire. On top of everything he was a brilliant filmmaker. I guess the stench of the prequels will never wear off, but the dude's debut was THX 1138. His debut. I mean come on.

FELLOW NERDS! FELLOW NERDS!http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

guys, I'm on my phone and can't post the article. someone else do it.

+ Enlarge Image

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

I hope Andy Serkis is in heavy makeup so I don't subconsciously draw Gollum comparisons. Either way, though, that's pretty cool he's in it.

serkis-gollum.jpg

Also, I recognize that Domhall Gleeson dude from About Time, which is a really, really good movie.

about-time-domhnall-gleeson.jpg

I hope Andy Serkis is in heavy makeup so I don't subconsciously draw Gollum comparisons. Either way, though, that's pretty cool he's in it.

serkis-gollum.jpg

Also, I recognize that Domhall Gleeson dude from About Time, which is a really, really good movie.

about-time-domhnall-gleeson.jpg

Adam Driver as a Sith is what I'm most intrigued about. In the limited roles I've seen him in the dude has some serious chops.

Archived