Star Wars VII Has Begun Filming

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what are the odds that they kill off Han Solo in this one? I remember reading something about how Harrison Ford wanted his character to die during the Death Star climax of Jedi...I wouldn't be surprised to see them grant his wish in this one. I like the character and everything, but Solo just doesn't seem like the type to be content just settling down and dying of old age. Maybe Greedo's kid will come avenge him or something. And actually shoot first this time.

Greedo_shoots_first.jpg

hsf1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looper was good--very well done considering it was about the tricky subject of time travel. I haven't seen that other one but I might check it out now.

I'm just glad they didn't give Michael-Bay-J. Abrams a multi-film deal.

Looper was good--very well done considering it was about the tricky subject of time travel. I haven't seen that other one but I might check it out now.

I'm just glad they didn't give Michael-Bay-J. Abrams a multi-film deal.

He also did the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad, which is one of the best of the series.

Brick is awesome. That was the first time anyone ever saw that Levitt could act.

I was excited about this when I first heard about it, but then when I heard J.J. Abrams was directing, my proverbial boner wilted significantly.

I had no opinion on him either way before, but I feel like he really dropped the ball on the Star Trek reboots by completely ignoring the established timelines and canon with a jerk-off, Michael-Bay-style "kewl 'splosions and WTF is character arc" approach that absolutely missed the cerebral aura that made the franchise a beloved success for 40-odd years.

I was never a fan of star trek but I liked what he did, going back in time and figuring a way to credibly take and acknowledge a previous timeline to the audience but find the ability to be able to completely alter it going forward. I thought it was smart. Having the OG spock cameo to tell the audience, "yeah I know there was this whole established series of events and I am not ignoring it but we are going to go ahead and throw a wrench in it so we can go back and rewrite these character's lives" sold it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea how I missed this thread on the first go around, but well done by everyone.

All I know is, it doesn't really matter what happens or has happened, I'm still going to be pumped as sh*t when these flicks come out.  I don't care how big of a mess the prequel trilogy was, I still own them all, have watched them plenty of times, and will there to watch these ****ers on the day they come out, just like I was for those (and the original trilogy re-releases).

Although I will admit, I couldn't help but be a bit thrown off when they announced the December release date.  WTF is that all about?  Not a big deal of course, but they should still know better.

He also did the Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad, which is one of the best of the series.

Brick is awesome. That was the first time anyone ever saw that Levitt could act.

he was money in Angels in the outfield

I have no idea how I missed this thread on the first go around, but well done by everyone.

All I know is, it doesn't really matter what happens or has happened, I'm still going to be pumped as sh*t when these flicks come out.  I don't care how big of a mess the prequel trilogy was, I still own them all, have watched them plenty of times, and will there to watch these ****ers on the day they come out, just like I was for those (and the original trilogy re-releases).

Although I will admit, I couldn't help but be a bit thrown off when they announced the December release date.  WTF is that all about?  Not a big deal of course, but they should still know better.

I'm actually looking forward to the spinoffs just as much. Especially if they are really doing a Jedi version of Seven Samurai.

Kevin Smith Left The Star Wars Episode 7 Set Crying Today

facebook146x32.png twitter146x32.png stumble146x32.png email146x32.png
kevin_smith_43677.jpg
Apart from being a well-regarded director and obsessive hockey fan, Kevin Smith has turned into a sort of spokesman for the nerd/ geek community. He’s given access to long-term plans. His opinion is always asked on even the most minor superhero-related controversies, and he’s even invited on sets to view productions in progress. Recently, that latest perk took him to the set of Star Wars Episode VII, and let’s just say the trip went pretty well for all involved.

The director obviously wasn’t able to comment on anything he saw while he was there, but whatever the hell happened left him misty-eyed and pumped up enough about the future of the Star Wars franchise to say, "The Force is WITH this movie." Check out the teary selfie he posted to his Instagram below…

kevin%20smith.JPG

The obsessive fandom of Kevin Smith comes with both its pros and cons, at least in terms of judging an in-development film like Star Wars Episode VII. He’s got far too much pride and too much geek credibility to ever change or mask his genuine feelings for the sake of a big budget production, but as someone who obsessively loves things like Star Wars and Batman, he’s predisposed to going really, really positive and really, really negative. When seeing something new and outside the box, the last thing you would expect would be neutrality.

That being said, Kevin Smith crying tears of joy on the Star Wars set is certainly better than the alternative. I would much rather have him on board with a production like this than step inside and freak out over all the little details and decisions that are overtly being made wrong. If nothing else, he should be providing some level of encouragement and a reason to be about 5% more optimistic.

We know quite a bit about Episode VII, but we still don’t know some basic information related to plot and which of the many esteemed actors will be playing which roles. With unlimited piles of money and a renewed emphasis on producing material that follows the spirit of the original works, however, there are many who are expecting the franchise to be completely revitalized after it was all but left for dead following George Lucas’ less than stellar second trilogy.

We’ll keep you updated on Star Wars news over the next year, and something tells us Kevin Smith will too.

Hesher was my favorite JGL project.

Not sure if serious but I did really like that movie. That and Brick definitely put him back on the map for me. Brick also earned points for including Meagan Good, who is really good at being hot. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/21/lucasfilm-confirms-x-wing-fighter-and-not-z-95-headhunter-in-sta/

So they've redesigned the X-Wing. Bad enough they're going without Wedge Antilles.

I thought for sure that was a Z-95 until I scrolled down to the concept art. Interesting, true to the original concept but plausible enough to believe that 30 years later a few innovations were made.

You're giving Michael-Bay-J. Abrams too much credit. He's just mining old concept art from the original trilogy and picking out stuff that "looks cool" so he can call it whatever he wants and take credit for it. Those wings are way too thin for any kind of atmospheric flight, which would thereby render the entire craft impractical for its designed purposes. Still, as long as he doesn't put any Muppets or ugly CGI in this movie, it'll look like Citizen Kane compared to the prequels and the guy will be a hero. Barf.

Signed,

Cliche Disgruntled Star Trek Fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWBGrkc360M&feature=player_embedded

You're that guy at parties, aren't you.

Years ago, I went to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon at the theater. The couple behind me were bitching that people can't run across the top of bamboo trees and left.

I wonder if he's from Suffolk County.

You're that guy at parties, aren't you.

I kind of am that guy--I don't like being that guy, but I realize that I've become that guy recently. This will probably continue until the movie is released, so I apologize in advance for any Get Off My Lawn, New Star Wars! rants that may come out within this thread. I realize a lot of people are looking forward to it and I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer.

Be that as it may, I think 99 percent of my vitriol is directed specifically at Abrams, and only because of that first Star Trek reboot he did. If he hadn't directed that--or if I had enjoyed it at all--I think I would be very much looking forward to the new Star Wars.

But alas, as it stands now, I am stuck being that guy for the foreseeable future. I think I need therapy.

Years ago, I went to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon at the theater. The couple behind me were bitching that people can't run across the top of bamboo trees and left.

I wonder if he's from Suffolk County.

I was just mad because the concession stand ran out of popcorn butter. Besides, everyone knows that oak trees are the only ones in nature capable of supporting human gymnastics; That's just shoddy cinematography.

I kind of am that guy--I don't like being that guy, but I realize that I've become that guy recently. This will probably continue until the movie is released, so I apologize in advance for any Get Off My Lawn, New Star Wars! rants that may come out within this thread. I realize a lot of people are looking forward to it and I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer.

Be that as it may, I think 99 percent of my vitriol is directed specifically at Abrams, and only because of that first Star Trek reboot he did. If he hadn't directed that--or if I had enjoyed it at all--I think I would be very much looking forward to the new Star Wars.

But alas, as it stands now, I am stuck being that guy for the foreseeable future. I think I need therapy.

I was just mad because the concession stand ran out of popcorn butter. Besides, everyone knows that oak trees are the only ones in nature capable of supporting human gymnastics; That's just shoddy cinematography.

Fair enough. Which are you, Statler or Waldorf?

Fair enough. Which are you, Statler or Waldorf?

Funny you say that--those guys were always my favorite characters on that show, even when I was a kid. That and the fact that I'm a Jets fan make me predisposed to be negative about everything.

Puppetgovernment.jpg?9d7bd4

I get it. SciFi has a mechanical aspect to it that other genres don't. But at the same time, even Asimov requires some suspension of disbelief.

Take a movie like Sunshine, for example. It's one of the best SciFi movies of the millennium, and no aspects of the story or the physics are remotely plausible.

Yeah, but wasn't Abrams' crime against Trek the removal of social commentary (which was unique to that series)?   Star Wars never concerned itself with social commentary, it was just a swashbuckling 'sins of the father' kind of thing.

Archived