LSU pro day streamed live today @ 3:30

Cmartin

The New York Jets top men will be in attendance today at LSU’s Pro Day— Rex Ryan and John Idzik. They will surely be paying attention to WR Odell Beckham, Jr who has been linked to the team as a possible draftee to the Jets at 18.

In addition, WR Jarvis Landry remains an interesting prospect, and the Jets may even wish to take a closer look at QB Zach Mettenberger.

The Pro Day will be streamed live, starting at 3:30pm ET : LSUSports.net

This has the potential to be an important pro day for the Jets. They can easily draft one of their WR's as well as QB Mettenberger which has arguably the strongest arm in the draft. 

You mean the guy you basically said sucked during the season when I mentioned he tore his ACL  ;) 

Looks like Landry ran an unofficial 4.58 forty today, definitely a good sign and should be sufficient to mostly erase his awful showing at the combine. 

Update: Apparently he had a few uncharacteristic drops to, at what's been reported as a poor pro-day from Landry. While it might not have been a great showing, he's got enough performances on film the last two years to show how good his hands are, the most important thing for him to do today was improve his 40 time, which he did. Still, with the talent they have at receiver in this draft, I wouldn't be surprised if someone landed him in the 4th round.

You mean the guy you basically said sucked during the season when I mentioned he tore his ACL   ;)

Joe Flacco has the strongest arm in the league, and I think he sucks. What I think doesnt have anything to with what the Jets may do. I'm just stating my opinion brother. A guy who tore his knee up that I prefer to draft is Aaron Murray. 

Joe Flacco has the strongest arm in the league, and I think he sucks. What I think doesnt have anything to with what the Jets may do. I'm just stating my opinion brother. A guy who tore his knee up that I prefer to draft is Aaron Murray. 

Just bustin your balls man. The Mettenberger-Murray competition has always been a good one, but I'd still take the former every day of the week, I just don't expect him to be there when we pick. I can see someone like Minnesota snagging him in the early second.  I wouldn't be opposed to Murray on the 3rd day if he falls.

The biggest downer with Mettenburger is he had two of the better WR's in the nation, one of the best RB in college football and a good offensive line.    What did he accomplish with all of that?

Zach's one of the reasons Landry and Beckham had such good years, it's not fair to credit one without the other. It all turned around when Cam Cameron came on board though, just go ahead and look at everyone's numbers this past year compared to the previous season, especially Zach.  He jumped up about 8 completion percentage points to 65%, threw for over 3000 yards and had close to a 3:1 td to int ratio. His decision making was night and day as well. Part of it was growing up, the other was Cam Cameron. I like the Flacco comparison quite a bit, but I prefer Zach coming out to be honest.

Looks like Landry ran an unofficial 4.58 forty today, definitely a good sign and should be sufficient to mostly erase his awful showing at the combine. 

That's one take, here's another:

LSU WR Jarvis Landry ran a pair of 4.58 forties at the Tigers' Pro Day on Wednesday.

Landry also dropped "three to four passes" in what is being described as a "rough" day. This all comes on the heels of a disastrous Combine that saw Landry run a painfully-slow 4.77 forty before dropping out of the drill altogether with a calf problem. He was also significantly shorter than LSU listed him in college. Landry is staring at a slide possibly into the 4-7 round range.

That's one take, here's another:

LSU WR Jarvis Landry ran a pair of 4.58 forties at the Tigers' Pro Day on Wednesday.

Landry also dropped "three to four passes" in what is being described as a "rough" day. This all comes on the heels of a disastrous Combine that saw Landry run a painfully-slow 4.77 forty before dropping out of the drill altogether with a calf problem. He was also significantly shorter than LSU listed him in college. Landry is staring at a slide possibly into the 4-7 round range.

I must have been editing it the same time as you were posting this. He has three years of game tape to show how good his hands are, I can only attribute his drops today due to lack of concentration. The only thing he needed to do today was prove to teams that he wasn't a 4.77 guy, which he did. I think LSU always listed him as 6'1 and that's usually what they mentioned during gameday, but his height has been known since the combine and is sufficient at 5'11.5" and 205 lbs. 

Zach's one of the reasons Landry and Beckham had such good years, it's not fair to credit one without the other. It all turned around when Cam Cameron came on board though, just go ahead and look at everyone's numbers this past year compared to the previous season, especially Zach.  He jumped up about 8 completion percentage points to 65%, threw for over 3000 yards and had close to a 3:1 td to int ratio. His decision making was night and day as well. Part of it was growing up, the other was Cam Cameron. I like the Flacco comparison quite a bit, but I prefer Zach coming out to be honest.

Agree

I wouldn"t mind Mettenberger [n the 3rd at all

I must have been editing it the same time as you were posting this. He has three years of game tape to show how good his hands are, I can only attribute his drops today due to lack of concentration. The only thing he needed to do today was prove to teams that he wasn't a 4.77 guy, which he did. I think LSU always listed him as 6'1 and that's usually what they mentioned during gameday, but his height has been known since the combine and is sufficient at 5'11.5" and 205 lbs. 

Yeah, the 4-7 round range seems a little wacky. If you knew he was lasting to four, you'd go elsewhere in 1-3 and take your chances, no?

Yeah, the 4-7 round range seems a little wacky. If you knew he was lasting to four, you'd go elsewhere in 1-3 and take your chances, no?

Any other year I'd say he's a lock to be drafted before the 3rd round, but because of the talent in this year's draft, I can totally see someone grabbing him in the third and even slipping into the 4th if there's a run on a certain position.  I expect him to be a 2nd day guy, but wouldn't be shocked to see him fall. 

How did Mettenberger throw? My mock depends on this information.

everyone says skip QB in 1 and get Mettenberger in 3

that means he won't make it to 3. I see 4-5 Qbs possibly in 1 (Big 3, Carr, Jimmy G) and Zach Mettenberger could be off the board by 50 overall. 

but as for Landry... rd 3 has some comp picks in there, he's still probably (better than 50% chance) to be a top 100 player. Just cause the picking gets slim by end of rd 3. It's BJ Askew territory. 

How did Mettenberger throw? My mock depends on this information.

From what I've been seeing on twitter from the LSU beat writers is that he showed off his arm, but a lot of balls hit the ground due to uncharacteristic drops by some of the receivers. Beckham apparently wowed on a few, which isn't too surprising. I'm not sure the reason for the drops, but changing from Mett to Jennings and then back to Mett might have played a part. Doubtful, but who knows. I imagine they just want to see him drop back, look at how strong his arm is and check on his knee. Personally, I expect him to be off the board within the first 10 picks of the 2nd round, whichever of the top 10 teams skip on QB in the first (Minnesota with Norv Turner makes sense, but then so does Houston with O'Brien if they take Clowney). 

Mettenberger looks gassed. Started on fire, lost some zip towards the back end. Scout: "it's not his knee I'm worried about, it's his arm."

Since he's been in college, this is the first time I've ever heard anybody question anything to do with his arm. I didn't get to see the pro-day, but considering he had ACL surgery on January 3rd and has been inactive weeks prior to that, I'd venture a guess that he's not in the best shape of his career.  

Since he's been in college, this is the first time I've ever heard anybody question anything to do with his arm. I didn't get to see the pro-day, but considering he had ACL surgery on January 3rd and has been inactive weeks prior to that, I'd venture a guess that he's not in the best shape of his career.

Thanks for the update there. Sounds like he looked decent, but the timing was spotty due to the layoff. I think he's a major x-factor in this draft. If the Texans, Vikings, or Raiders think Mettenberger is = Bridgewater/Bortles as a prospect, they might happily pass on drafting QB in the top ten, opting instead to trade down or trade back into the bottom of the first. Also, the Pats are all over these QBs this year, making it at least appear they could move Mallett, maybe to the Texans?

everyone says skip QB in 1 and get Mettenberger in 3

that means he won't make it to 3. I see 4-5 Qbs possibly in 1 (Big 3, Carr, Jimmy G) and Zach Mettenberger could be off the board by 50 overall.

but as for Landry... rd 3 has some comp picks in there, he's still probably (better than 50% chance) to be a top 100 player. Just cause the picking gets slim by end of rd 3. It's BJ Askew territory.

I don't think Mettenberger makes it to 40. This is setting up to be a bizarre QB draft.

Update: Apparently he had a few uncharacteristic drops to, at what's been reported as a poor pro-day from Landry. While it might not have been a great showing, he's got enough performances on film the last two years to show how good his hands are, the most important thing for him to do today was improve his 40 time, which he did. Still, with the talent they have at receiver in this draft, I wouldn't be surprised if someone landed him in the 4th round.

4.58 is better than the 4.77 he ran.  It also makes him the 3rd slowest receiver based upon combine 40 times.  He will be lucky to get drafted at all.  Certainly not in the 4th round.

4.58 is better than the 4.77 he ran.  It also makes him the 3rd slowest receiver based upon combine 40 times.  He will be lucky to get drafted at all.  Certainly not in the 4th round.

Well, agree to disagree on that. The kids a very talented football player, amazing hands and one of the few players that is fearless going across the middle. Very Hines Ward-like.

Pro day times.  How much faster was everybody else?  Dropping almost 2 tenths is a ton, but pro day times are usually much,much quicker.  He may have proved that he was not a 4.77 guy, but is he a 4.70 guy?  What was the track, etc?  We'd have a much better feel if Beckham had run. 

Pro day times.  How much faster was everybody else?  Dropping almost 2 tenths is a ton, but pro day times are usually much,much quicker.  He may have proved that he was not a 4.77 guy, but is he a 4.70 guy?  What was the track, etc?  We'd have a much better feel if Beckham had run. 

I don't think LSU's track is anything like the one at Virginia Tech where everyone shaves two tenths off their time, I would say this is legit. Plus it was indoors, so there's no wind-aided times. Jeremy Hill ran and shaved about .07 off his combine and that's unofficial, so I don't think anything crazy was going on. Landry most likely did have an injury and this is more his speed. Watching Landry, he looks like a 4.6 guy, which isn't great, but with how he plays I think it'll be good enough. For what it's worth, most scouts and GMs have conversion charts for certain University's tracks to the one in Indi.

Well, agree to disagree on that. The kids a very talented football player, amazing hands and one of the few players that is fearless going across the middle. Very Hines Ward-like.

I agree to disagree with you.  My point is that if teams are reluctant to spend high picks on LBs who run like that they certainly will not draft a WR.  We will see.  I will write down his name and watch when he is taken.

I agree to disagree with you.  My point is that if teams are reluctant to spend high picks on LBs who run like that they certainly will not draft a WR.  We will see.  I will write down his name and watch when he is taken.

Have you actually seen him play or is this based simply just off of his 40 time?  

Any scout mentioning Mettenberger's arm is throwing up smoke. This kid could well be drafted in the second round. If the Jets really wanted him, they might have to trade up in the second. I think Minnesota or even Houston will take this kid in the second. Clowney and Mettenberger would be a haul for the texans.  

You give o'Brien a pass for 2014 and 2015 you see him have a breakout year with Mettenberger as the QB.

LL

Have you actually seen him play or is this based simply just off of his 40 time?  

I am basing it upon his 40 time only.  I said he would be lucky to get drafted at all.  Certainly not in the 4th round. 

I have it written down.  If you end up right and he is drafted before the 5th round I will tip my hat to you and make note of it here.

I am basing it upon his 40 time only.  I said he would be lucky to get drafted at all.  Certainly not in the 4th round. 

I have it written down.  If you end up right and he is drafted before the 5th round I will tip my hat to you and make note of it here.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was actually curious. Sounds good.

Archived