Stephen Hill

joewilly12

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So has Rex.

And was he stupid when on opening day Hill went for 5 for 89 and 2 TD's?  Was HE!?!!!?!!!

I bet Hill has a respectable season...he was playing well at the beginning of last season. 

If you really think about it, when you extrapolate Hill's first three games across an entire season, he's kind of like Jesus in pads.

41% of targets. Keeps it clean. Going around deeming things always screws with the numbers.

Which is clearly terrible. However, when you combined his catch rate with his extremely low drop percentage this past year, it leads me to believe it had more to do with other parts of his game and not him having inherently poor hands.

Which is clearly terrible. However, when you combined his catch rate with his extremely low drop percentage this past year, it leads me to believe it had more to do with other parts of his game and not him having inherently poor hands.

That's certainly a possibility. But the fact that he had the highest drop rate in the league in 2012 and that this was all noted when he was coming out of GT doesn't make it very probable.

No more CB in the first?  Is this a prediction, or have you finally come around to liking OB Jr. more than Landry? 

I just PM'ed you about it. 

Its a prediction but not based on my opinions.  If it were my opinion, it would still be CB with a WR taken in the 2nd or 3rd.

I just PM'ed you about it. 

Its a prediction but not based on my opinions.  If it were my opinion, it would still be CB with a WR taken in the 2nd or 3rd.

Well, here's to hoping your prediction is right. That'd be about as stoked as I could get for an individual player. 

Sure. He also runs crap routes, had an inaccurate quarterback, and plays on a dumpster fire of an offense that's never on the same page. It's probably something of a miracle that he was even in the vicinity of enough live balls to have a bad catch rate.

Time to stop worrying about Evans and reconsider the assumption that Beckham is going to be there.

Yep, he pretty much fits every offense and is such an all-around player that I wouldn't be surprised to see him off the board in the first 15 picks. However, I think if he slides past St. Louis' 13th overall, barring a trade up he'll be there for the Jets at 18. With all the rumors of both Baltimore and Pittsburgh wanting a big target for their respective QBs, I have a hard time seeing them draft OBJ. Then again, he's that talented that it wouldn't surprise me either.

Hill had a "decent" year minus injuries.

I would certainly say he progressed from the year before.

If he improves AGAIN this year he wouldnt be a half bad 3rd/4th option at a cheap rate.

I still think Hill can be serviceable...but he may never live up to the 2nd round, trade up for guy most will never let him forget he is.

Hill can be brought in on running downs and he can be used as a deep threat until he begins to show some growth. Decker may very well help him along as a teammate at least we can hope he has a big influence on him. Hill is not afraid to go over the middle and take a hit sometimes he takes too big a hit doing so, which damn near got him killed a few times. If he gets some consistent time without injury I think he can Improve . Every time he began to show a little promise he had to deal with some nagging injury or just missed games intirely.

That's certainly a possibility. But the fact that he had the highest drop rate in the league in 2012 and that this was all noted when he was coming out of GT doesn't make it very probable.

Where did you get that from?

In 2012 Hill had 5 dropped balls.   A drop rate of 10.6, which wasn't even in the top 25

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2012/

What was his role?  Holmes had one less catch (but considerably more yards) with the same number of targets.  FWIW, I think there were games where HIll was the only healthy WR on the team and Geno was forcing it in Hill's general direction. 

Yeah, there was definitely a stretch of games where it seemed that way.

PFF. Way higher than drops to targets. He was highest amongst WRs thrown to as many times as him, if I recall correctly.

Here's PFF drops for 2012 for WR's with at least 40 catchable balls throw to them.   With out a paid subscription I could only get the top ten.  Hill wasn't there.

Interestingly enough Eric Decker is #5

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

Some very good WR's there

Here's PFF drops for 2012 for WR's with at least 40 catchable balls throw to them.   With out a paid subscription I could only get the top ten.  Hill wasn't there.

Interestingly enough Eric Decker is #5

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

That's because Hill measured out at 27.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323997004578640331708597090

Last season, his first in the NFL, Hill dropped six of the 27 catchable passes thrown to him, according to the scouting and statistical firm Pro Football Focus. His "drop rate" of 22.2% was the highest of any wide receiver with as many opportunities.

Yeah, there was definitely a stretch of games where it seemed that way.

Gato circa 2011: Don't you worry, Wilson is going to be just fine.

Gato circa 2012: Don't you worry, Sanchez is going to be just fine.

Gato circa 2013: Don't you worry, Vlad is going to be just fine.

Gato circa 2014: Don't you worry, Hill is going to be just fine.

So when do football players eventually play?

That's because Hill measured out at 27.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323997004578640331708597090

Last season, his first in the NFL, Hill dropped six of the 27 catchable passes thrown to him, according to the scouting and statistical firm Pro Football Focus. His "drop rate" of 22.2% was the highest of any wide receiver with as many opportunities.

No one else has him over 11%

Looking at who leads the league in drop rate, it seems to be a meaningless stat.  Some of the best WR's lead in drop rate

Looking at who leads the league in drop rate, it seems to be a meaningless stat.  Some of the best WR's lead in drop rate

It's not a be-all, end-all conclusive number. Correct. It's a tool like any other. Meant to be used in conjunction with other tools and measurables. When compared against each other they can be used to construct a narrative. Unfortunately for Hill, none of them, from conventional measures to efficiency statistics, say he is good at any type of production, and that most certainly includes catching footballs.

Gato circa 2011: Don't you worry, Wilson is going to be just fine.

Gato circa 2012: Don't you worry, Sanchez is going to be just fine.

Gato circa 2013: Don't you worry, Vlad is going to be just fine.

Gato circa 2014: Don't you worry, Hill is going to be just fine.

So when do football players eventually play?

This would make more sense if I said those things or said them when you say I said them.

Right. You get noise because great receivers drop balls crap receivers wouldn't have been in a position to make a play on in the first place. Again, catch rate. Not that Hill isn't garbage either way.

with Decker and curley, now we got some real WRs  he will have a better year.  3rd year players get better,  if not cut him.

I see them drafting a WR who will get more playing time than Hill.    And Nelson was better than Hill so he'll get more playing time.   

If the Jets do well in the draft,  it'll be Decker, Kerley,  Nelson,  Drafted WR,  and then Hill.   If they wind up with a decent TE who can catch, it pretty much means Hill will be a back up to the back ups in emergency situations.        

Not sure how the 5th WR on a team who still seems to favor running the ball will really turn this guys career around.   Even if he improves a little,  the guy won't get the reps.  Unless the WR the Jets draft is a bust or no good.  Which would be a bad sign regardless.

The reality is the Jets should be building a team with some talented WR, TEs, & RBs who can do multiple things.  If they do a good job, the team will improve.  If Hill winds up being the 3rd WR on this team,  the Jets are in trouble.

Rex announced he was the starter in April. My argument is that Rex is a moron who shouldn't be allowed within 500 yards of a young player that doesn't play on the DL.

He's been known to ruin cornerbacks; running backs frequently complain about their lack of involvement in the game plan.

Archived