NFC executive: Jadeveon Clowney is 'spoiled' and 'lazy'

Jetfan13

it's a valid question. His athleticism makes him worthy of a high pick. I recognize how rare he is as an athlete. But his motor leaves something to be desired.

BTW he's not a QB that also makes him not worth the 1 pick. something crazy like 11 of the last 13 drafts have started with a QB. Im too lazy to look it up exactly. 

For the record I know people who scouted SC this year and they say CLowney dogged it this year. Flat out. There would be practices in the fall and he just wouldn't leave the locker room for the duration. This is disgusting effort for a 1 overall pick. I don't see how this guy will just be able to turn it on, after having it off for so long. 

This is not a story about a guy who tried 100% and got doubled. It's a story of a dog who gets by on athleticism alone. That's a recipe for disaster in the NFL. Everyone is an athlete at that level. 

I understand your hesitation with his attitude, but there's two reasons why I think you're overvaluing them. 1) Clowney dominated the SEC his sophomore year and it was obvious he was physically ready, however the antiquated NFL rules would not allow him to enter the draft. He saw his own friend and teammate obliterate his knee and effectively ruin his career on one play. He had agents in his ear telling him to just make it to the draft, don't hurt yourself and we'll make sure you go #1. If he gets hurt this year because the NFL wouldn't let him join, he loses everything except his insurance policy.  2) You have admitted time and time again how Alshon Jeffery should have been a top 10 pick and that his laziness was over-emphasized. This is basically that same scenario, except for Clowney didn't get out of shape. 

While he is an incredible athlete, not necessarily transcendent athleticism, he is a great all-around football player. The kid can play all along the line, is very good against the run for a 21 year old junior and is as disruptive as almost anyone I've seen against the pass in a long time. It's rare to have someone this young who's good in both phases of the game and who isn't just a one-trick pony. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand your hesitation with his attitude, but there's two reasons why I think you're overvaluing them. 1) Clowney dominated the SEC his sophomore year and it was obvious he was physically ready, however the antiquated NFL rules would not allow him to enter the draft. He saw his own friend and teammate obliterate his knee and effectively ruin his career on one play. He had agents in his ear telling him to just make it to the draft, don't hurt yourself and we'll make sure you go #1. If he gets hurt this year because the NFL wouldn't let him join, he loses everything except his insurance policy. 

Yes but the problem is once you put out that fire it doesn't just go back on ... it's not like a light switch. Defenders have to play angry every week. Alot of them seem to be mentally unstable on the field. The truly great ones can't decide to go half speed.  WE aren't talking about a cerebral position his job is to get after it. 

You overrate how rare he is as an athlete. That's half the problem.

I don't understand this comment. He's 4.5 at 6'6" 250 which is rare. 4-3 DE's don't get much faster.  The only other one faster was Boss Bailey. And what a career he had. 

Yes but the problem is once you put out that fire it doesn't just go back on ... it's not like a light switch. Defenders have to play angry every week. Alot of them seem to be mentally unstable on the field. The truly great ones can't decide to go half speed.  WE aren't talking about a cerebral position his job is to get after it. 

What are you talking about? Effort is actually one of the few things that's like a light switch, you can turn it on or off at any moment. It's not like speed, where you either have it or you don't. Different sport, but how often do you see Lebron and the heat coast three quarters only to turn it on in the 4th? Or hell, coast all regular season and then ramp it up a notch when it comes to the playoffs. Plenty of athletes and teams in the history of sports have waxed and waned their effort that ended up in a title. Sure, you'd like a JJ Watt or Adrian Peterson who goes all out even during practice, but that's not reality.

Is this now the point where you tell me that basketball effort and football effort are different? Or that fire is mutually exclusive from effort?

Is this now the point where you tell me that basketball effort and football effort are different? Or that fire is mutually exclusive from effort?

Basketball effort is different because the blood of your relatives flows vertical. But with football players it's different, because linemen play with their hands in the dirt, they're horizontal, understand? And even if you play standing up, you're still falling down, making you horizontal. That means that blood can stay stagnant. So if you have David Clowney's blood, there's nowhere for the blood to flow. But if you're say, Mark Price, then Brent's blood isn't going to really affect you because you're standing up and you're running, the blood bounces all over the place and it can't really inject itself into your grit and fire.

Basketball effort is different because the blood of your relatives flows vertical. But with football players it's different, because linemen play with their hands in the dirt, they're horizontal, understand? And even if you play standing up, you're still falling down, making you horizontal. That means that blood can stay stagnant. So if you have David Clowney's blood, there's nowhere for the blood to flow. But if you're say, Mark Price, then Brent's blood isn't going to really affect you because you're standing up and you're running, the blood bounces all over the place and it can't really inject itself into your grit and fire.

Hmm, valid points. But, what IF Clowney is drafted by a 3-4 team and asked to play standing up? 

Hmm, valid points. But, what IF Clowney is drafted by a 3-4 team and asked to play standing up? 

Good question. Did you see how Dan Gronkowski got hurt this week? That's because he's Rob's brother. Both get tackled a lot because they're offensive players, understand? So even though they start out standing, they're horizontal when they get tackled, and injury blood cells infect the fire and grit cells.

Coincidentally this is also why Dan's leg detaches from time to time and also why he has random moments where blacks out and starts calling everyone 'bro.'

Good question. Did you see how Dan Gronkowski got hurt this week? That's because he's Rob's brother. Both get tackled a lot because they're offensive players, understand? So even though they start out standing, they're horizontal when they get tackled, and injury blood cells infect the fire and grit cells.

Coincidentally this is also why Dan's leg detaches from time to time and also why he has random moments where blacks out and starts calling everyone 'bro.'

It really all just falls together so nicely.   

you guys are hilarious

btw I looked it up not too long ago... all the brothers in the league

http://www.profootballhof.com/UserFiles/file/Brothers_Dec_10_2013.pdf

there's not many situations where the younger brother is better than the older brother. 

How many situations? Did you go through that list with a fine toothed comb? I refuse to do extra work on this, particularly since you're so clearly wrong.

ill go thru the list again. You guys have no actual proof Clowney will be good by the way. No one does.

At least I'm trying to do research. What backs up your stance that he's not lazy and will be an awesome NFL player? a Gif? wishful thinking? 

you guys are hilarious

there's not many situations where the younger brother is better than the older brother.

That's because fire and grit cells diminish through the parental cortex flow over time. They're strongest with the first born, but they're not reproductive cells, understand? So David has more of them than Jadeveon does. In fact, that's why his name is so much longer and harder to pronounce, as his parents were attempting a classic shamanistic ritual (as we all know) to balance out the deficiency. His coaches at SC say they think it worked, but I'm not so sure.

you guys are hilarious

It is a well-known scientific fact that the first child always gets the best DNA and subsequent children are pretty much genetic crap.

you guys are hilarious

Bruce Matthews - Hall of Fame OL; Clay Matthews - pretty good LB who played a long time. 

Devin McCourty is better than Jason McCourty

Michael Dean Perry was actually a significantly better player than his more famous older brother William. 

Adrian Peterson is better than Mike Peterson.

Bart Oates was better than Brad Oates. 

Those are just off the top of my head. 

Bruce Matthews - Hall of Fame OL; Clay Matthews - pretty good LB who played a long time. 

Devin McCourty is better than Jason McCourty

Michael Dean Perry was actually a significantly better player than his more famous older brother William. 

Adrian Peterson is better than Mike Peterson.

Bart Oates was better than Brad Oates. 

Those are just off the top of my head. 

Terry and Craig Bradshaw come to mind. Actually played against each other 1 time.

you guys are hilarious

Rob is actually the youngest of the Gronkowskis to have already graced an NFL roster. 

Watching this thread is like watching the death of Zilla in that '98 Emmerich travesty.  The "at least I'm doing research" line is the equivalent of popping up under the Brooklyn Bridge to mouth catch the taxi without actually damaging it...

Edit: Boooo, it sounded better in my head.

Watching this thread is like watching the death of Zilla in that '98 Emmerich travesty.  The "at least I'm doing research" line is the equivalent of popping up under the Brooklyn Bridge to mouth catch the taxi without actually damaging it...

Edit: Boooo, it sounded better in my head.

I like how you abbreviated Godzilla.

the guy has all the talent in the world and only had 3 sacks last year. That and his 23 reps is all you really need to know about his work ethic.

True. I knew a kid like him. I covered Jason Witten as a high schooler and this kid came along right after him named Vince Redd who was a carbon copy of Witten size-wise, speed wise, but he had no work ethic and after two years at Virginia, Al Groh cut his scholarship and he had to transfer to Liberty. He was signed as a UFA with the Pats who quickly saw that this kid relied on natural skills but didn't work hard when faced with a more level playing field. Needless to say he is back in town doing menial jobs and wishing he had done much better.

There are some similarities but no one ever was trying to make the case for Coples as top pick. That's pretty much my beef with Clowney. Great prospect, not great enough for #1 overall. If he goes 5 or 6 or 7, hey fair enough. I just don't think he's worthy of 1 overall and frankly, Coples wasn't either.

FWIW Coples had 7.5 sacks as a senior, 10 as a junior. Clowney went from 13 to 3.

How often is there a player who is "worthy of #1" in the draft by this metric? Anyone this year? Besides Luck, anyone in recent history? I ask because at some point, you have to take a player first. It seems very likely that despite last year, Clowney could be the best in this draft and he plays a position worth taking high. At some point someone has to be 1st.

Archived