I like Kiper's first 3 Jet Draft Picks

Steveg

First round (No. 18): Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

Second round (No. 49): Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech

Third round (No. 80): Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida

Kiper's analysis:

The addition of Eric Decker doesn't diminish the need for playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Rex Ryan could use a corner (or two), but I'm looking first for a play-right-away option at wide receiver. Cooks can be that guy. He's explosive as a route-runner, reliable as a hands-catcher and a dangerous playmaker with the ball in his hands. I'm going to double down in Round 2, with a pretty good value at tight end in Amaro. He's going to spend most of his time lined up in the slot, but he's an upside upgrade over Jeff Cumberland and gives them the opportunity to create some different looks. In Round 3 I grab Purifoy, who has the natural cover instincts of a player who should be taken far higher, but poor workouts have him available later.

Only 24 days till the draft begins.

Trade 49 to move up from 18. To wherever. For whoever. Pick a corner that isn't Purifoy at random in the third. That's better than this.

I wonder if Oakland takes less than the chart would indicate for 5 similar to what they did at 3 last year to target some guy they love but isn't considered a top 5 pick.

To move up for Gilbert or Dennard?

I think his point is that Cooks does not have great value at 18 and Amaro offers relatively little above Cumberland. Amaro is almost useless as an inline blocker, which means you're going to have him playing out of the slot the vast majority of the time, which doesn't seem to add much to this team. He's a catch and straight line type of TE, doesn't offer much in terms of vision or making plays that aren't already there.  If it means Beckham over Cooks and Amaro, I'd sacrifice our 1st and 2nd for that. That's also because I think that highly of Beckham and fairly little of Amaro. I don't anticipate that being the case however, as it seems there will be significantly better players available with our 2nd round pick.

Looks like some talent available in round 3 for TE's, and possibly a safety at

2, might be some value there, as far CB, I'll give rex a late 6th rounder and

the seventh round pick for his CBs. Sorry Rex, no corner drafted high this year,

you blew in the past.

I'm really hoping they go Oline in the first two picks but I would be happy with that. At least they'd be trying to fix the offense.

Breno Giocomini has the 4th highest cash spend this year. In other words he's the 4th highest paid Jets player in this league year.

So double OL is probably not likely. Heck I'd be surprised if any OL were picked before 3rd day of the draft (rds 4-7)

Cooks at 18 wouldn't be a terrible pick, cause the guy is such a play maker and the Jets need play makers. There is a hope that someone better falls but as a "Safety school" pick they could do alot worse.

Amaro doesn't offer anything Cumberland doesn't. And yes they can probably find a better corner. 

So 1 for 3 for me. 

Breno Giocomini has the 4th highest cash spend this year. In other words he's the 4th highest paid Jets player in this league year.

So double OL is probably not likely. Heck I'd be surprised if any OL were picked before 3rd day of the draft (rds 4-7)

As I said before the Oline has zero depth. One major injury and it's not going to matter who's the QB, RB, TE or WR.

First round (No. 18): Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

Second round (No. 49): Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech

Third round (No. 80): Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida

Kiper's analysis:

The addition of Eric Decker doesn't diminish the need for playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Rex Ryan could use a corner (or two), but I'm looking first for a play-right-away option at wide receiver. Cooks can be that guy. He's explosive as a route-runner, reliable as a hands-catcher and a dangerous playmaker with the ball in his hands. I'm going to double down in Round 2, with a pretty good value at tight end in Amaro. He's going to spend most of his time lined up in the slot, but he's an upside upgrade over Jeff Cumberland and gives them the opportunity to create some different looks. In Round 3 I grab Purifoy, who has the natural cover instincts of a player who should be taken far higher, but poor workouts have him available later.

Only 24 days till the draft begins.

Purifoy can't tackle. That's kind of an important ability to have at CB. Tight End is a need, but not a priority, as Cumberland made some decent catches last year. I say go with CB in second round, especially if Marcus Roberson is still available. 

I think his point is that Cooks does not have great value at 18 and Amaro offers relatively little above Cumberland. Amaro is almost useless as an inline blocker, which means you're going to have him playing out of the slot the vast majority of the time, which doesn't seem to add much to this team. He's a catch and straight line type of TE, doesn't offer much in terms of vision or making plays that aren't already there.  If it means Beckham over Cooks and Amaro, I'd sacrifice our 1st and 2nd for that. That's also because I think that highly of Beckham and fairly little of Amaro. I don't anticipate that being the case however, as it seems there will be significantly better players available with our 2nd round pick.

I think Cooks is good value at 18. Better than a more risky Dennard, Gilbert or Fuller. Also, jmo, Fuller might end up being the first CB to go. 

I bet Amaro is code for Kelvin Benjamin.

I bet Mehta has no idea what he's talking about, but if I had to choose one of those two, I'd definitely opt for Benjamin.  I didn't see enough of FSU live, but reports are that he was often lined up as the Z receiver, because he struggled against press-coverage, which seems counter-intuitive given how large he is. He'd basically be our pseudo-Jimmy Graham and I dunno, I again don't like his value at 18. I'd prefer to have someone who doesn't need to rely on the offense creating mismatches for him to initially succeed, someone more like Beckham. If we don't go WR in the first, I'm praying Paul Richardson is there for us in the second, I like his upside.

I bet Mehta has no idea what he's talking about, but if I had to choose one of those two, I'd definitely opt for Benjamin. I didn't see enough of FSU live, but reports are that he was often lined up as the Z receiver, because he struggled against press-coverage, which seems counter-intuitive given how large he is. He'd basically be our pseudo-Jimmy Graham and I dunno, I again don't like his value at 18. I'd prefer to have someone who doesn't need to rely on the offense creating mismatches for him to initially succeed, someone more like Beckham. If we don't go WR in the first, I'm praying Paul Richardson is there for us in the second, I like his upside.

Paul Richardson makes a ton of sense to me too in the 2nd-3rd.

is amaro a workout wonder ? somebody sell me on this kid

his workout was only a little better than average. His production was incredible. But was it scheme. What sold me was quotes from other big 12 HCs raving about how they couldn't stop him even when schemed against.

Yes, that is the player I would trade up for anyway...Seems like the one actually elite guy who will fall into an area the Jets can trade up to.

We are gonna trade up for a guy that wont even start right away? Dbrick and Gia are our tackles.

Trade 49 to move up from 18. To wherever. For whoever. Pick a corner that isn't Purifoy at random in the third. That's better than this.

Mrs. Tape Girl. Don't watch any Purifoy huh?

Perfect for Rex's system.

Like this draft, not love.

is amaro a workout wonder ?  somebody sell me on this kid

Kind of the exact opposite actually. While I like that he seemed to be a competitive kid who participated in every drill, his measurables were pretty average.  He has fantastic production out of TTech system, but he just isn't a first round prospect: not the best inline blocker, struggles making catches in physical coverage and doesn't have the athleticism to do a lot more than what's given to him after the catch.  He could prove me wrong and start winning on more of those contested catches, but until he does, he won't be able to beat up on the linebackers and safeties in the NFL like he did in college. He could also be utilized in more 12 personnel with another prototype TE, but none of that really seems to fit us at the moment.

Purifoy can't tackle. That's kind of an important ability to have at CB. Tight End is a need, but not a priority, as Cumberland made some decent catches last year. I say go with CB in second round, especially if Marcus Roberson is still available.

Purifoy can't tackle?

Archived