Chris Johnson's a Jet

BroadwayJets

I think he will wear #25. He had #5 in college so 25 is just my educated guess with 28 being unavailable. Alex Green most likely won't make the roster with him on the team. boy I can't wait till madden comes out!

Haha I immediately added him to the Jets in Madden.  First thing I did.  My rosters are fully up to date lol

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. No special plan or elite GM skills were required.

The signing is a decent one that hopefully resolves the need for a  pass catching RB who can take it to the house if his skills have not severely declined.             .

Yep, pretty much.  

But not-terrible GM skills were needed.  Had our GM (this one or the prior one) traded a 3rd or something for CJ, we would have heard endlessly about how many other teams were interested, and how he wouldn't have made it to FA if we wanted to get him.

Some say to a fault, and I can understand the feeling, but our GM clearly shows patience and doesn't rush into a move or feel pressured by a perceived emergency that isn't really there.  Truth is we could have signed other RBs, we could have drafted a RB, and we could have even gone into the season with Ivory/Powell/Goodson if the latter is healthy and isn't incarcerated.  

I like the move, but certainly agree this was no stroke of genius.  Though, of course, there aren't always genius moves to be made in the first place.  

Meh, he's a veteran role player, getting veteran role player money.

Only fans who will be disappointed are the one's that expect him to be anything more than part of a 2 headed monster rush attack.

I agree, and I think it is a fine signing. I am just reading a lot of people who think they are getting the old Johnson, and those are the ones that are going to be disappointed.

Yep, pretty much.  

But not-terrible GM skills were needed.  Had our GM (this one or the prior one) traded a 3rd or something for CJ, we would have heard endlessly about how many other teams were interested, and how he wouldn't have made it to FA if we wanted to get him.

Some say to a fault, and I can understand the feeling, but our GM clearly shows patience and doesn't rush into a move or feel pressured by a perceived emergency that isn't really there.  Truth is we could have signed other RBs, we could have drafted a RB, and we could have even gone into the season with Ivory/Powell/Goodson if the latter is healthy and isn't incarcerated.  

I like the move, but certainly agree this was no stroke of genius.  Though, of course, there aren't always genius moves to be made in the first place.  

The most intelligent thing a GM can do is not make a stupid move. 

The best news of all is that Idzik waited out the trade. We landed what could very well be the best back we've had in a loooooooong time and for nothing outside of a fair market value contract. 

We still own 12 friggin draft picks after signing Decker and CJ. Not too bad.

I am the most impatient person out there, but Idzik is proving that slow and steady just may win the race. I feel really good about this signing. 

Yup, but I 'think' we deal some of those picks..either to trade up or to get more picks in out years..

Do not get me wrong. I do think he will be better with you guys than he was the last three with us. Our last OC was in way over his head. Promoted way too fast and had no business being an NFL OC.

And you do have a mobile QB back there............................ until he gets injured of course :tongue:

good year to get a replacement in the draft--trust me you don't want shonn green carrying the load

so did he actually sign when he was there or fly back the next day? clearly that pic was in florham park

He drove back. He only went down to Atlantic Ave to watch the Knicks-Nets game. When he was there (@ Florham Park) he got a chance to check out the facility and spoke to the coaches about his role with the team then after that it's up to Idzik and his agent (who's also Vick and DeSean's agent) to workout a contract in which CJ approved.

Awesome...thanks.

So would you say that if CJ got behind a better run blocking line he is likely to be better than his last year or two has reflected?

I think CJ losing a step is still faster than a lot of backs in the league. ;-)

Its not his straight line speed thats gotten worse, its his lateral quickness thats taken the hit. As a RB thats more important. If he's to be good for you guys you need to set him up so he can just hit the hole and go, dont make him have to slow down, he will come to a stand still and by week-5 you'll want him gone.

As for who's line is better, well who did you guys have last year the did well, Fergusson? Cause IMO he kinda sucked for you guys.

Yup, but I 'think' we deal some of those picks..either to trade up or to get more picks in out years..

And I'd be fine with that. If we can use a couple of 5th-7th rd picks to move up a smidge and grab someone we really like as opposed to stock piling guys who are unlikely to make the roster, I'm all for it. 

What I don't like is selling the farm for one guy type of trades. Idzik doesn't look like he is too likely to make such deals from what I've seen so far. 

In my honest opinion I do not think CJ will ever get back to what he was in the Jeff Fisher years and here is why:

Defenses have learned how to play him better now. His first few years in the league CJ was tearing it up. The second year was the 2K year. CJ is so fast it was as if defenses did not know what angles to take on him. Every team would stack the box against the Titans. However, with CJ's speed that was a big mistake. Most of his really huge runs came because it is easy to over-pursue him.

The Steelers were the first to figure out that it is better to contain CJ. To hang back more and not let him have the big runs. That happened in his third season. Now every team plays CJ that way. Which is why I do not think he will ever be as dominant as in those first few years.

And I am sure he is still the fastest RB in the league.

Great post...hope youre wrong.

Here's Johnson's stats.  A little worried about his average dipping to 3.9 per carry last year, but then his pass receiving average went up.  I'd like to see him used just as we used LaDaininan Tomlinson his first year with us-what a great pickup he was for the offense.  In my opinion Geno's effectiveness will be immensely boosted by having a LaDainian type player-I mean the type of player Tomlinson was for the Jets, (less than he was with San Diego, but still great in his role for the Jets).

chrisjohnsonstats_zpsc3c48e53.gif

Here's Johnson's stats.  A little worried about his average dipping to 3.9 per carry last year, but then his pass receiving average went up.  I'd like to see him used just as we used LaDaininan Tomlinson his first year with us-what a great pickup he was for the offense.  In my opinion Geno's effectiveness will be immensely boosted by having a LaDainian type player-I mean the type of player Tomlinson was for the Jets, (less than he was with San Diego, but still great in his role for the Jets).

chrisjohnsonstats_zpsc3c48e53.gif

Check what his longest run of the year was............. not exactly a "Home run" threat

im too lazy to read this thread to see if this was already posted but apparently there's concern about his knee

http://fansided.com/2014/04/17/jets-concerns-condition-chris-johnsons-knee/#!ECoDH

“Jets have some concerns about condition of RB Chris Johnson’s knee, and the arthritis in it, but not enough not to sign him to 2-year deal,” Schefter reported on Twitter.

Check what his longest run of the year was............. not exactly a "Home run" threat

Fair enough, but here are the stats for LaDainian Tomlinson.  As I said before, Tomlinson was a great pickup for the Jets offense in 2010.  If we can get from Johnson what we got from LaDainian, I would be very happy.  Tomlinson's average per carry the year before the Jets got him was 3.3 yards, and his longest run as a Jet in 2010 was 31 yards-just like Chris Johnson's long run last year. 

LaDainianTomlinsonstats_zpsf83963b1.gif

Looking at the numbers for Johnson it looks like there may be some truth to his problems with the line and overall offense in Tennessee, at least according to the replacement statistics. They're actually not that bad for him and pretty bad for the line regarding run blocking, particularly the past two years.

I'm not big on predictions but I do think Idzik is going to heavy on o-line. If he snags even two guys that are capable of stepping in at least by the middle of the season, then based on the numbers I think Johnson will have a good year.

He played the season with a torn meniscus. His long run was an unimpressive 30 yards, but he did manage a long reception of 66. And it's his pass catching ability that brings the extra dimension the Jets need. If CJ isn't getting it done carrying the ball, they'll plug Ivory in on more rushing downs.

He had that meniscus repaired, we'll see how it goes.

Its not his straight line speed thats gotten worse, its his lateral quickness thats taken the hit. As a RB thats more important. If he's to be good for you guys you need to set him up so he can just hit the hole and go, dont make him have to slow down, he will come to a stand still and by week-5 you'll want him gone.

As for who's line is better, well who did you guys have last year the did well, Fergusson? Cause IMO he kinda sucked for you guys.

Well the Jets o-line graded a little bit better than the Titans with 300 yds more on 30 more carries.

Breno is said to be a slightly better run blocking RT. Winters hopefully improves in his 2nd yr alleviating some of the pressure on the left side for Ferg and Mangold...Im optimistic we can be better this year. Colon staying healthy is key too.

Well the Jets o-line graded a little bit better than the Titans with 300 yds more on 30 more carries.

Breno is said to be a slightly better run blocking RT. Winters hopefully improves in his 2nd yr alleviating some of the pressure on the left side for Ferg and Mangold...Im optimistic we can be better this year. Colon staying healthy is key too.

a healthy colon is always a good thing !

He played the season with a torn meniscus. His long run was an unimpressive 30 yards, but he did manage a long reception of 66. And it's his pass catching ability that brings the extra dimension the Jets need. If CJ isn't getting it done carrying the ball, they'll plug Ivory in on more rushing downs.

He had that meniscus repaired, we'll see how it goes.

I find it funny how this is just glossed over like he had a scuff on his elbow.  If that's still an issue this season, then we have cause to be somewhat concerned.  If it's repaired, he'll be fine.  

Even at 3.9 ypc, that was as the full time back with Greene barely usable (if at all) for most of the season.  So even with last year's #s, factor in that he won't be getting so many short-yardage carries where he got stuffed or a minimal gain at best.  With the torn mensicus.

I won't be surprised if there's a lift of a full yard per carry this year as a result.

At the same time, bad games are bad games, and we can't "borrow" some yardage from his good ones to offset the bad ones.  Same thing within 1 game.  If he's getting 2 yards per carry all game long, it hurts quite a bit.  The one long run that brings the game average up to 4 ypc doesn't make up for 15 bad ones that led (or helped lead) to punting on multiple possessions.

We'll see what he brings.  I don't expect 2000 yards, or even 1500.  About 800-1000 is what I see, and that may be plenty better than last year even though he may finish with fewer yards in '14.  And that's just the rushing yards.

Listening to the talking heads' input on Chris Johnson, you'd think the guy was 38, and not 28. He will have a huge year, I think him going over 1,200 yards is a low estimate.

agreed.  they have to try to spin it like, "dumb jets this guy isn't a 2,000 yard rusher anymore"

he has more catches than the jets leading receiver last year, and he scored 10 total TD's compared to 5 for ivory and powell combined

my concern is the yards incentive.  1,000,000 gives him plenty of reasons to whine to mehta about his touches

Archived