If Tannenbaum was still GM

MexiRoll6

Tanny always treated cap space like Monopoly money and I think he would have gone nuts with 30 mill. He would have signed Decker, DeSean Jackson, Vick and without a doubt Revis. All of these moves would have cost the Jets most - if not all - of the cap money, but just think of how good they would be. The Jets would have to be considered in the top 3-4 of the AFC and with 12 players coming up in the draft he would have turned that into about three picks but he probably would have made a move for Sammy Watson or the LB from Buffalo whose name escapes me right now. I think Idzik has done a halfway decent job and can now draft a CB or a safety like Ha-Shawn Clinton Dix in round one.

Tanny would have done a better job of making us competitive in 2014. Tanny would not have been content fielding another mediocre team, not when he had the resources to improve it. Idzik is building for a future that might never come.

The resources that you speak of wouldn't be available if tanny was here. We wouldn't have 12 picks in the draft either. Our cap situation and our number of pics are the result of the things that Idzik has done since he has been here. Idzik>>>>>Tanny hands down.

Tanny would have done a better job of making us competitive in 2014. Tanny would not have been content fielding another mediocre team, not when he had the resources to improve it. Idzik is building for a future that might never come.

The difference in concepts is like night and day between the two and the 'preferred method' is to build through the draft, but look at what happens then. It takes a few years to become a contender and then what happens is all your 'cheap' players want big deals with long terms and you end up losing a few to FA.  I disagree that Tanny would not have recognized the need to trim the fat as Idzik did, but overall I guess I prefer Idzik's method although I completely think he dropped the ball not signing Revis back.

when your position requires you side with the tannenbaum method, you should take a month off and hope everyone forgets, lol

The Tannenbaum method did help get us to two AFC Championship games in two years.

I'm not saying Idzik is doing a bad job ... I'll reserve my opinion until he has some time to mold this roster.

But the NFL is a "now" league, and Tannenbaum operated that way, which wasn't always a bad way to go given some of the success we had during his tenure.

Tanny was too aggressive IMO whereas Idzik is too conservative. A better GM would be more balanced.

idzik has (so far) kept a thug who has weapons charges against him, signed a notorious felon who served time, and has rolled the dice on numerous players coming off of injury

I don't know wth you are talking about

he didn't make it rain in the first 3 days of free agency, which is the way teams like the packers approach FA

those are the days where you make regrettable deals

If you're saying that we signed the best running back available than you would have to say we signed the second best WR

At the time Decker was the best WR available. And who was better than Chris Johnson? MJD? Maybe equal, as much as I like MJD more than CJ I wouldn't call either of them better than the other. 

The Tannenbaum method did help get us to two AFC Championship games in two years.

I'm not saying Idzik is doing a bad job ... I'll reserve my opinion until he has some time to mold this roster.

But the NFL is a "now" league, and Tannenbaum operated that way, which wasn't always a bad way to go given some of the success we had during his tenure.

that was rex coaching his ass off with a shaky secondary.  that was building a nice team and handing it to a kid with 10 college starts

that was getting extraordinarily lucky with injuries.  the jets had no depth.  zero.  zilch.  the o-line never got hurt.  it was miraculous

tanny had guts, and took chances, but he is now a coaches agent, completely out of the NFL.  he is the funny cat gif of GM's

If Tanny was GM Revis would have never left. He'd be making 24 Million a year and would be our starting CB & QB. And we would just have two picks this year in the draft which would be the 3rd and 6th rounders. 

Well, at least we wouldn't be losing anything at QB.

Tanny always treated cap space like Monopoly money and I think he would have gone nuts with 30 mill. He would have signed Decker, DeSean Jackson, Vick and without a doubt Revis. All of these moves would have cost the Jets most - if not all - of the cap money, but just think of how good they would be. The Jets would have to be considered in the top 3-4 of the AFC and with 12 players coming up in the draft he would have turned that into about three picks but he probably would have made a move for Sammy Watson or the LB from Buffalo whose name escapes me right now. I think Idzik has done a halfway decent job and can now draft a CB or a safety like Ha-Shawn Clinton Dix in round one.

Except, based on Tannenbaum's strategies, we would neither have 30M in cap space nor 12 draft picks.

Oh, and what happened the last time tannenbaum built a top 3-4 AFC team around a below average young QB?

There is no way we would be in the position that we are in with Tannebaum. First of all, the guy has never even heard of compensation picks, judging by the amount of picks we got while he was GM so we would have a maximum of 8 picks. Most likely we wouldn't have 8 picks though, because he likely would have traded a pick or two away last year to move up in the second round to grab Geno Smith insted of displaying patience like Idzik did. Would his draft class from last year have five starters one being the DROY? Who knows, Tannebaum had a so-so ability to draft but either way we can say Idzik had a quality draft. Maybe not awesome, but at the very least solid.

Free agency wise Idzik again showed patience that Tannebaum never would have. Idzik didn't go to Decker immediately, he waited three days, made him wait and think about what he was worth. Tannebaum would have been knocking down his door day one and Decker would have all the leverage. Desean Jackson, if we got him it probably would have been through a trade for him like we did Santonio Holmes and acquired his large contract, Tannebaum likely would not have had the patience to wait for him to get cut. That would mean losing one maybe two of our 8 picks (since we don't have the 4 comp picks) Austin Howard would prolly still be a Jet and we would have paid something similar to the Raiders I'm sure.  We would have gone begging to Revis, but he would have used us for leverage and gone to the Patriots anyway. Then to compensate we would have chased DRC, given him a large contract, which likely would have weighed on the team over the next few years. DRC to me was nothing but a trap, a guy that seems to play well contract years and then be extremely disappointing the other years. Didn't want any part of a long term committment, especially for a guy that considered retiring. At this point, I'm guessing we have 6 maybe 7 draft picks with large contracts given to Decker, Jackson, Howard, and DRC. On paper this makes the Jets very competitive, but here is the problem, we again won't have any depth.

Then guess what, Chris Johnson gets cut. However, we already gave out these big contracts, and we can't give Chris Johnson a contract because we need the money to sign our draft picks. Maybe we go begging to our signed players to renegotiate a contract to make room, maybe we don't. Either way we end up with the same problem we always had with Tannebaum...very little flexibility, contracts that weigh us down, and no to very little depth.

Tannenbaum's last couple years here were like a gambler placing bigger and bigger bets in an effort to get out of the hole he dug himself into. I'm sure he would've continued the top-heavy approach he seemed to favor. Spending big money for starters, and having absolutely no depth. I'm very glad he's gone.

I'm not completely sold on Idzik yet, either. I like the build thru the draft model, but he has to back it up with solid drafts. I don't see him as a personnel guy (please spare me his résumé featuring his part time work on that side of the business) and Rod Graves doesn't exactly inspire my confidence, either, but we'll see. I did expect more flash in free agency this year. He's obviously being more deliberate than that. If he drafts well - and Geno works out - he'll have a core of young, inexpensive talent here, and be ready to push for a championship as soon as next year. He needs to crush the draft, though, especially those nine picks on day three.

Tannenbaum's last couple years here were like a gambler placing bigger and bigger bets in an effort to get out of the hole he dug himself into. I'm sure he would've continued the top-heavy approach he seemed to favor. Spending big money for starters, and having absolutely no depth. I'm very glad he's gone.

I'm not completely sold on Idzik yet, either. I like the build thru the draft model, but he has to back it up with solid drafts. I don't see him as a personnel guy (please spare me his résumé featuring his part time work on that side of the business) and Rod Graves doesn't exactly inspire my confidence, either, but we'll see. I did expect more flash in free agency this year. He's obviously being more deliberate than that. If he drafts well - and Geno works out - he'll have a core of young, inexpensive talent here, and be ready to push for a championship as soon as next year. He needs to crush the draft, though, especially those nine picks on day three.

Decker/breno/Vick/Johnson isn't flashy enough?

Decker/breno/Vick/Johnson isn't flashy enough?

Yeah, sorry, no.

Decker was more than I expected at WR. And thus ends me being impressed. Giacomini is a less expensive, penalty-prone lateral move at OT, I absolutely hate Vick, and I'm really not sure what CJ has left in the tank. I'm not nearly the fan of second RB contracts that Idzik is.

Meanwhile, the defensive secondary is still in bad shape, and they failed to upgrade the OL - a smart place to spend free agent money, IMHO.

This plan of his all rests on the draft, so we'll see how that goes.

You<--------------------------->The Reservation

And a better you would be less imbalanced.  Your sabbatical was way too short.

When Tanny and Mangini were here, Mangini was the GM. We drafted and signed choir boys and three piece suits. When Tanny and Rex were here, Rex was the GM. We signed or traded for anything not nailed down. Neither system really worked. The first playoff run should never have happened but Indy and Cincinnatti took a nap against us at season's end. The second was legit, but we still had to play all road games. Fact is, Tanny was our cap guy, and a mouthpiece for the coaches, IMHO.

Archived