Now it falls on Rex

Pac

This is a crappy blanket statement. Hardly the case too. It's sad that this is how you've framed the narrative inside your own head.

You can't possibly be serious so this must be some PHD level of sarcasm I'm not familiar with.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanny never got Braylon, Holmes, LT or any other help for Rex.

If only Tanny had traded for Edwards the year before and had him play with Favre, he would've killed it with the connection.

Lol of course.  People discount them as being more valuable because of how many receptions or yards they had while on the receiving end of Sanchez's passes.  And you forgot about Keller.

#1 OL in football

#1 or near #1 ground game

Established/non-bust 1st rounders at two WR positions and at TE.

Leon in the backfield for the first third of year 1 until he broke his leg.  LT catching passes out of the backfield in year 2.

Sure, he had nothing to work with. Absolutely nothing.  Compared to the "weapons" the Pats had when Brady started winning* superbowls, this is a outright dominant surrounding cast.

I know you don't have the low opinion of Sanchez that I do, but at least you recognize how ridiculous this "we gave him nothing to work with" assertion was.

Tanny wasn't a complete failure. After the 2009 season AFC title game loss, Tanny & company must have been thinking "we just need to upgrade a few more positions, and we are going to the Superbowl' .  So they picked up Homes, LT, Jason Taylor, etc.  After the 2010 AFC title game loss, they had the same philosophy as in 2009.  I can forgive Tanny for thinking "win now" versus Idzik's "sustainable winning" philosophy. It's easy to fall into that trap.  What I can't forgive (and ultimately what got Tanny fired) is the Sanchez contract extension.  WTF were they thinking?

Rex has always been responsible for the wins and responsible for the losses. Don't know why as fans we need to make a statement like that so now we put all this added pressure on the whole process

Agreed. I think it's very, very important that we don't put any pressure on Rex.

Rex is a defensive minded HC, putting any blame on him for offensive shortfalls are silly. Sean Peyton does not get knocked when the defense sucks on the Saints.

If the offense does not hold up their end of the bargain this year Rex has zero responsibility, that will be on Idzik the Greatest GM in the history of great GM's, and Marty M (cant spell his name)

tanny had guts.  tanny took chances.  tanny actually sold brett favre on the idea that hunting on woody johnsons NJ estate would be like it is in the south

I'm sure woody is partially to blame for the "star search" aspect of the jets roster, especially QB trying to sell PSL's, but a good GM can balance owner input with owner orders with telling the owner to let me do the job you are paying me to do

I think idzik is better at that.  woody publicly stated the jets were interested in djax (while he was under contract) and idzik held his water

Rex is a defensive minded HC, putting any blame on him for offensive shortfalls are silly.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Sean Peyton does not get knocked when the defense sucks on the Saints.

Ha ha ha ha ha

If the offense does not hold up their end of the bargain this year Rex has zero responsibility,

Yesssssssss let it flow yessssss

that will be on Idzik the Greatest GM in the history of great GM's,

AND ALL THE GMs FORE AND AFT

and Marty M

AND ALL THE OCs FROM TIME IMMEMORIAL

cant spell his name)

#Canada

Lol of course.  People discount them as being more valuable because of how many receptions or yards they had while on the receiving end of Sanchez's passes.  And you forgot about Keller.

#1 OL in football

Leon in the backfield for the first third of year 1 until he broke his leg.  LT catching passes out of the backfield in year 2.

Normally you're spot on but this is disingenuous nonsense.  Those "established/non-bust 1st round WR's and TE" can't even find jobs.  2 are pariahs and the 3rd is a JAG complimentary TE.

And despite the fact Sanchez was handed that motley crew to work with, he helped lead them to a greater level of prosperity than we've seen in 40 years.

I'm talking about 11 and 12..  In 11' Tanny let their best WR go and replaced him with a recently released convict with a questionable attitude and a loud mouthed Derrrick Mason.  Or how about 12' where we brought in the likes of Chaz Schillens and a revolving door of WR's including Mardy Gillyard and Jason Hill.

Fact of the matter is Tanny surrounded a young promising QB with toxic weapons past their prime or guys who never were any good.  The fact that you constantly try to blame Sanchez for all the teams offensive shortcomings is overblown and lazy.

Did he play great football every game?  No.

Will we ever know what he could have been if he were brought along properly and surrounded with decent players?  No.

Luckily we're past that..  we seem to finally have a GM who understands the importance of helping a young QB.  His hands were tied last year as he cleaned up Tannys mess but all signs are pointing in the right direction going forward.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha

Yesssssssss let it flow yessssss

AND ALL THE GMs FORE AND AFT

AND ALL THE OCs FROM TIME IMMEMORIAL

#Canada

Hah hah that is like saying i am only responsible for half of my job-go to Joe and Mike for the other half to get done

#1 OL in football

Sure, he had nothing to work with. Absolutely nothing.  Compared to the "weapons" the Pats had when Brady started winning* superbowls, this is a outright dominant surrounding cast.

I know you don't have the low opinion of Sanchez that I do, but at least you recognize how ridiculous this "we gave him nothing to work with" assertion was.

Exactly.  I love when people criticize how the Jets handled Sanchez.  He came in to about as good a situation as possible for a rookie QB. They had a useless offensive coordinator, but there's no way anyone can say Sanchez had a weak supporting cast.

The Jets expected him to step up and own the offense in Year 3, as they had to shed salaries to make it under the cap.  Not an unreasonable thing to expect from a QB that you moved up to take in the first round.  He couldn't handle it.

Exactly.  I love when people criticize how the Jets handled Sanchez.  He came in to about as good a situation as possible for a rookie QB. They had a useless offensive coordinator, but there's no way anyone can say Sanchez had a weak supporting cast.

The Jets expected him to step up and own the offense in Year 3, as they had to shed salaries to make it under the cap.  Not an unreasonable thing to expect from a QB that you moved up to take in the first round.  He couldn't handle it.

Own the offense with Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Santonio Holmes, and a plodding Shonn Greene.  Yeah no idea how he didn't turn that into gold.

Normally you're spot on but this is disingenuous nonsense.  Those "established/non-bust 1st round WR's and TE" can't even find jobs.  2 are pariahs and the 3rd is a JAG complimentary TE.

And despite the fact Sanchez was handed that motley crew to work with, he helped lead them to a greater level of prosperity than we've seen in 40 years.

I'm talking about 11 and 12..  In 11' Tanny let their best WR go and replaced him with a recently released convict with a questionable attitude and a loud mouthed Derrrick Mason.  Or how about 12' where we brought in the likes of Chaz Schillens and a revolving door of WR's including Mardy Gillyard and Jason Hill.

Fact of the matter is Tanny surrounded a young promising QB with toxic weapons past their prime or guys who never were any good.  The fact that you constantly try to blame Sanchez for all the teams offensive shortcomings is overblown and lazy.

Did he play great football every game?  No.

Will we ever know what he could have been if he were brought along properly and surrounded with decent players?  No.

Luckily we're past that..  we seem to finally have a GM who understands the importance of helping a young QB.  His hands were tied last year as he cleaned up Tannys mess but all signs are pointing in the right direction going forward.

You're equating what they are now with what they were then, and THAT is disingenuous.  

NOW, today Keller is coming off a disgusting ruptured knee.  Edwards can't run a 4.8 40 anymore.  Holmes will never be the same again after the lisfranc injury.  All 3 are damaged goods.  Back then, all 3 were beacons of health and in their physical primes that they'll never see again.

These were far more than "decent" players.  

When we got Edwards he was in no way a "worse" player than when he had 1300 yds and 16 TDs a couple years earlier.  It's not like he did that at age 29 and we got him at age 34.  He did that at 24 and we got him at 26 and he was never injured.  

When we got Holmes, he was a 1st round pick in his prime.  Just coming off a (grudgingly admit, deserved) SB MVP award where Pittsburgh would have lost with a lesser player in his place.  He was 26 years old as well.  Experienced (to say the least) and if we didn't give him an enormous contract after that 1st year then someone else would have.

Keller was never going to be the 2nd coming of Tony Gonzalez, but how many guys are? He was VERY fast for a TE and while his #1 shortcoming was blocking, that didn't seem to kill the team's ground attack anyway.  He was good enough to catch 500-800 yds per season with a joke like Sanchez throwing the ball.  Pair him with a real QB and it would surprise few if he tacked on 200-300 more yards per season and Jets fans would be whining about how our GM never got Sanchez a true "weapon" like Dustin Keller.

What is disingenuous is looking at the results with Mark Sanchez and equating that with the results they'd have had with a competent NFL starter who can throw on-target with any semblance of consistency.  Instead they had passes come to them that landed in the right spot once in a while, but less often than they landed in a giant 5-yard radius of where they're supposed to land.  Some catchable, some not, but most of them quite poorly thrown.  He stinks, no matter what coaching boogeymen you've conjured up to blame for his incompetence, his who-gives-a-crap attitude, his immaturity, and his substandard ability to hit the bullseye or have any sense of getting rid of or delivering the ball on time.

You're equating what they are now with what they were then, and THAT is disingenuous.  

NOW, today Keller is coming off a disgusting ruptured knee.  Edwards can't run a 4.8 40 anymore.  Holmes will never be the same again after the lisfranc injury.  All 3 are damaged goods.  Back then, all 3 were beacons of health and in their physical primes that they'll never see again.

These were far more than "decent" players.  

When we got Edwards he was in no way a "worse" player than when he had 1300 yds and 16 TDs a couple years earlier.  It's not like he did that at age 29 and we got him at age 34.  He did that at 24 and we got him at 26 and he was never injured.  

When we got Holmes, he was a 1st round pick in his prime.  Just coming off a (grudgingly admit, deserved) SB MVP award where Pittsburgh would have lost with a lesser player in his place.  He was 26 years old as well.  Experienced (to say the least) and if we didn't give him an enormous contract after that 1st year then someone else would have.

Keller was never going to be the 2nd coming of Tony Gonzalez, but how many guys are? He was VERY fast for a TE and while his #1 shortcoming was blocking, that didn't seem to kill the team's ground attack anyway.  He was good enough to catch 500-800 yds per season with a joke like Sanchez throwing the ball.  Pair him with a real QB and it would surprise few if he tacked on 200-300 more yards per season and Jets fans would be whining about how our GM never got Sanchez a true "weapon" like Dustin Keller.

What is disingenuous is looking at the results with Mark Sanchez and equating that with the results they'd have had with a competent NFL starter who can throw on-target with any semblance of consistency.  Instead they had passes come to them that landed in the right spot once in a while, but less often than they landed in a giant 5-yard radius of where they're supposed to land.  Some catchable, some not, but most of them quite poorly thrown.  He stinks, no matter what coaching boogeymen you've conjured up to blame for his incompetence, his who-gives-a-crap attitude, his immaturity, and his substandard ability to hit the bullseye or have any sense of getting rid of or delivering the ball on time.

So what you're saying is they were solid options when they first got here.  And what I'm saying is that it's not a coincidence that those were the 2 years we made the deep playoff runs with Sanchez playing well.

In years 3 and 4 Tannenbaum failed Sanchez in addition to Mark starting to regress.  Why are people so reluctant to admit that simple fact?

So what you're saying is they were solid options when they first got here.  And what I'm saying is that it's not a coincidence that those were the 2 years we made the deep playoff runs with Sanchez playing well.

In years 3 and 4 Tannenbaum failed Sanchez in addition to Mark starting to regress.  Why are people so reluctant to admit that simple fact?

When did Sanchez play well? Can you link me to those stats?

Oh please.  Sanchez never played well for even half a season.  Not even on paper, where he always looked better than he did on the field.  He once threw 4 TDs in a game and still anyone who watched the game knows he looked like he didn't belong on a JV high school team as the backup.  It is a myth that he ever noticeably improved.  

He was a sub-par, sub-standard QB.  Whatever Idzik ends up being as a GM, good or bad, thankfully he was the one who stepped in and moved us on from Sanchez.  

I would have liked to have seen how Sanchez would have fared last year with Marty M as the OC and make a final judgement after that (although he wasnt doing too good in preseason up until the brilliant decision to bring him back late in a meaningless game to get his shoulder wasted)

I would have liked to have seen how Sanchez would have fared last year with Marty M as the OC and make a final judgement after that (although he wasnt doing too good in preseason up until the brilliant decision to bring him back late in a meaningless game to get his shoulder wasted)

There are at least 4 or 5 people in the world that would have liked to see this as well.  So you would have some company at least. ;)

That decision, in hindsight, was the best thing that could have happened to a team that badly needed to move on from the mistake of drafting him in the first place.

There are at least 4 or 5 people in the world that would have liked to see this as well.  So you would have some company at least. ;)

That decision, in hindsight, was the best thing that could have happened to a team that badly needed to move on from the mistake of drafting him in the first place

I know when you dont like somebody you can go on a roll. but the shared time with Tebow/Awful Sporano didnt exactly put him in a position to succeed, it was more like a position to fail.

And he was never developed by Schottenheimer.  he did throw some nice passes that Pennington could have never thrown. he had potential. and he could hit an open receiver, something Geno cant do :)

That decision, in hindsight, was the best thing that could have happened to a team that badly needed to move on from the mistake of drafting him in the first place.

Exactly, Rex's got this. 

Archived