Now it falls on Rex

Pac

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you trade up to #5 overall, and invest the kind of money they invested in Sanchez, you're kind of expecting that guy to be a bit more than just a caretaker of the offense.

Nobody drafts a QB in the first round (and especially in the top 10) with the hope that he becomes a game manager at best. After 2-3 years, that player is expected to elevate his game to the point where his play makes up for the team's deficiencies elsewhere.

The guy failed to live up to expectations. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

Live up to expectations? He didn't even live up to being a game manager. Not even close.

For the 1st time in Rex' tenure we have a GM putting a premium on acquiring offensive help.  In the last month Idzik has done more for Geno/Vick than Tanny did for Sanchez in 4 years.

The Rex detractors often make that cute little joke where they pretend Rex never gets any blame for the shortcomings of the team.  They always ask when he'll be held responsible.

The answer is now.

Without having made 1 draft pick, this Offense is already light years ahead of where they were a year ago.

These are good times to be a Jet fan, my friends.  Prepare to get back to the type of excitement we experienced when Rex first got here.

Thank you and goodnight.

Tanny never got Braylon, Holmes, LT or any other help for Rex.

If only Tanny had traded for Edwards the year before and had him play with Favre, he would've killed it with the connection.

Pac. Clown. 

I'm resigned to the idea that it will take a truly cataclysmic (<4 win) season for Woody to fire Rex. And I think because Rex will get the defense to show up more weeks than not, they'll always be around .500 under him. So, Rex4ever.

So, what you are saying is he's a low-brow, horse-toothed version of Jeff Fisher.

a competent offense with rex's defense would be a nice first step. baby steps.

A competent offense starts with a QB.  Though even with that said and as bad as the offense was last season, I like Marty's system.  He's creative with his personnel packages, his plays seem user friendly, their is good rhythm and I thought he had a great feel for the game from a play calling perspective.  Geno was just really terrible at times.

The best thing Idzik has done with the offense this offseason is put the Jets in position where they're not forced to address any single position.  Across the board, the secondary is the only area that has to be addressed.  He's given them some flexibility going into the draft, which would lend credence to his BAP methodology.  But with 12 picks, you would assume a WR and/or a TE will be selected.  So the offense isnt complete.

We'll see but its going to be on Geno (big surprise) and there wont be a "weapons" argument after the draft, thats for sure.  I think he's got it.  Maybe. 

A competent offense starts with a QB.  Though even with that said and as bad as the offense was last season, I like Marty's system.  He's creative with his personnel packages, his plays seem user friendly, their is good rhythm and I thought he had a great feel for the game from a play calling perspective.  Geno was just really terrible at times.

The best thing Idzik has done with the offense this offseason is put the Jets in position where they're not forced to address any single position.  Across the board, the secondary is the only area that has to be addressed.  He's given them some flexibility going into the draft, which would lend credence to his BAP methodology.  But with 12 picks, you would assume a WR and/or a TE will be selected.  So the offense is complete.

We'll see but its going to be on Geno (big surprise) and there wont be a "weapons" argument after the draft, thats for sure.  I think he's got it.  Maybe. 

agree with most i do give vick 2-1 odds of starting though

agree with most i do give vick 2-1 odds of starting though

I really hope not, it does nothing for the future of the team.  Total contradiction of Idzik's build for the future mantra.

Doesnt matter though.  Geno's got this.  2-1?  I'll bet you a nickel.

I know when you dont like somebody you can go on a roll. but the shared time with Tebow/Awful Sporano didnt exactly put him in a position to succeed, it was more like a position to fail.

And he was never developed by Schottenheimer.  he did throw some nice passes that Pennington could have never thrown. he had potential. and he could hit an open receiver, something Geno cant do :)

Who me?

He was lousy with or without a lousy situation in 2012.  The fact that he was lousy in that situation doesn't mean he would have been good in a good situation, or if Rex Ryan/Brian Shottenheimer didn't sprinkle QB-ruining powder on his head, which seems to be the automatic assumption.  Saying he wasn't developed by Schottenheimer dismisses as impossible the notion that he was not developable in the first place.  He threw some nice passes Pennington couldn't have? So what. I'm sure so did Matt Leinart and 5 dozen other busts & never-were's.  But Pennington didn't typically miss guys who were wide open (those times when that scaredy-cat of a passer actually pulled the trigger more than 6 yards downfield in the absence of totally blown coverage).

Sanchez was in a good to great situation for a couple of years and it meant nothing.  He's awful.  It only seems like he improved in year 2 because he was the beneficiary of some kind of record for having his interceptions dropped.  Almost 20 of them that year alone.  

If you actually are a Jets fan you should be happy because it is a good thing that he's gone.

Who me?

He was lousy with or without a lousy situation in 2012. The fact that he was lousy in that situation doesn't mean he would have been good in a good situation, or if Rex Ryan/Brian Shottenheimer didn't sprinkle QB-ruining powder on his head, which seems to be the automatic assumption. Saying he wasn't developed by Schottenheimer dismisses as impossible the notion that he was not developable in the first place. He threw some nice passes Pennington couldn't have? So what. I'm sure so did Matt Leinart and 5 dozen other busts & never-were's. But Pennington didn't typically miss guys who were wide open (those times when that scaredy-cat of a passer actually pulled the trigger more than 6 yards downfield in the absence of totally blown coverage).

Sanchez was in a good to great situation for a couple of years and it meant nothing. He's awful. It only seems like he improved in year 2 because he was the beneficiary of some kind of record for having his interceptions dropped. Almost 20 of them that year alone.

If you actually are a Jets fan you should be happy because it is a good thing that he's gone.

Geno smith is not an upgrade from Sanchez. He was a downgrade. and if you're a jets fan you're happy about that? Geno had wide open receivers A LOT last year, and several times he threw the ball out of bounds or overthrew them. hes awful too!

If the Jets got somebody better than Sanchez you would actually have a point. But they didn't.

I really hope not, it does nothing for the future of the team. Total contradiction of Idzik's build for the future mantra.

Doesnt matter though. Geno's got this. 2-1? I'll bet you a nickel.

Not really. If Idzik was hell bent on building for the future, then he would've never picked up CJ n Vick or brought back Colon n Pace. He wants to build for the future, but not at the cost of the present. He'll play Vick if he feels it's the difference between making or missing the playoffs.

I'm resigned to the idea that it will take a truly cataclysmic (<4 win) season for Woody to fire Rex. And I think because Rex will get the defense to show up more weeks than not, they'll always be around .500 under him. So, Rex4ever.

As Edwards before him figured out, there are always going to be enough tomato cans on the schedule that if you can keep the other team under 17 points it's a fair bet you can figure to win between 6-9 games. You won't ever get past a superior offensive team in the playoffs without a real offense, but Wrecks has never given a  f__k about offense, he won't start doing so now. So he'll field a decent defense. run the ball way too much to eat up clock ANd pass only when you have to when you're behind . And find yourself wiht 9 wins if the Pats or some other good team has a bad day.And some years that is a playoff berth.

DON'T PASS THE BALL; YOU COULD GET INTERCEPTED! THE CLOCK WILL STOP. MY DEFENSE NEEDS TO BE ON THE FIELD!It will never be great.So much for the tough guy facade; it's scared pussyball football. Because the simple fact is even the best defense is going to fail a few times every game, and fail more often against a great QB.

There is not a QB on the Jets' roster worth a damn. We're screwed again. And thanks, Wrecks, for winning to meaningless bum fights in December and costing the Jets a better draft pick. Great work. Which is typical Jets shortsighted nonsense; good enough to keep the facade up, and bad enough to not see what it costs. WOuld never root for the JEts to lose, but those games should have been glorified tryouts and Simms should've gotten a start. THIS TEAM IS RUN BY IDIOTS.

Vick starting would be a disaster. We'd be looking for a QB of the future again next season.

Fair bet we'll still be looking for THE QB OF THE FUTURE until the day Idzik empties his office and beyond even that.

I really hope not, it does nothing for the future of the team.  Total contradiction of Idzik's build for the future mantra.

Doesnt matter though.  Geno's got this.  2-1?  I'll bet you a nickel.

Gambling on Geno Smith could be the silliest prop bet in history. He's awful. His college numbers were inflated because teams keyed on Austin. He was a turnover machine in 2013. And the jets would not have signed Vick if they though he was worth a damn.

As Edwards before him figured out, there are always going to be enough tomato cans on the schedule that if you can keep the other team under 17 points it's a fair bet you can figure to win between 6-9 games. You won't ever get past a superior offensive team in the playoffs without a real offense, but Wrecks has never given a  f__k about offense, he won't start doing so now. So he'll field a decent defense. run the ball way too much to eat up clock ANd pass only when you have to when you're behind . And find yourself wiht 9 wins if the Pats or some other good team has a bad day.And some years that is a playoff berth.

DON'T PASS THE BALL; YOU COULD GET INTERCEPTED! THE CLOCK WILL STOP. MY DEFENSE NEEDS TO BE ON THE FIELD!It will never be great.So much for the tough guy facade; it's scared pussyball football. Because the simple fact is even the best defense is going to fail a few times every game, and fail more often against a great QB.

There is not a QB on the Jets' roster worth a damn. We're screwed again. And thanks, Wrecks, for winning to meaningless bum fights in December and costing the Jets a better draft pick. Great work. Which is typical Jets shortsighted nonsense; good enough to keep the facade up, and bad enough to not see what it costs. WOuld never root for the JEts to lose, but those games should have been glorified tryouts and Simms should've gotten a start. THIS TEAM IS RUN BY IDIOTS.

The Jets compete with the Patriots every year. if the coach and GM of the Jets dont realize now they need an offense that will score points, they never will. and the Jets will be so so. which makes the younger Jets fans go GAGA.

Gambling on Geno Smith could be the silliest prop bet in history. He's awful. His college numbers were inflated because teams keyed on Austin. He was a turnover machine in 2013. And the jets would not have signed Vick if they though he was worth a damn.

but but but WE GOT RID OF SANCHEZZZ..ARENT YOU HAPPY?

Until Brady is gone the Jets are looking up at the Pats- sorry to say maybe I will proven wrong hopefully

Truth. And there doens't seem to be any sense the fracnhise's leadership recognizes this. And that the Jets need to explore every way possible to get a real QB. Vick is a stopgap and that gets you nowhere.

Truth. And there doens't seem to be any sense the fracnhise's leadership recognizes this. And that the Jets need to explore every way possible to get a real QB. Vick is a stopgap and that gets you nowhere.

The signing of Vick only got them headlines and publicity. and that seems to be all the Jets are interested in, unfortunately.

Yes it does.  But crappy play from a first year QB seems a little bit less horrible than crappy play from a four year starter.  At least to me.

But he lost back to back AFC Championship games. oh wait, thats the Rex excuse. sorry

Favre staying healthy and resisting the urge to send dick picks to chicks working for the Jets cost us at least one championship.  I really believe that.

I think if the Jets had stopped celebrating on Monday afternoon after they beat the Pats in the playoffs, and focused on the steelers they would have mopped the floor with the steelers and gone to the super bowl. but no, they kept talking about that wonderful Pats victory all week, and never showed up to play in THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME lol that still pisses me off. Manning the year before was manning. but the Steelers could have been had in that game.

Yes the Jets figured nothing like "Dog killer" petitions to sell a few thousand PSL's.  LOL

Well, it got them attention. and Joe Grinwis has his Tebow and Vick jerseys already. the Jets target the sheep lol :)

Signing a 34 year old veteran QB to a one year deal in no way, shape, or form constitutes the Jets thinking Geno isn't worth a damn. I believe the Jets are betting on him, they're just wise enough to not be all in on him just yet. Vick is here to push Geno to get better thru competition, and to take over the job if he doesn't. I expect that competition to heavily favor Geno. Just like it did last year. Vick is an insurance policy.

Now if the Jets turn around and take a QB in the first couple rounds this year, that's another story.

The signing of Vick only got them headlines and publicity. and that seems to be all the Jets are interested in, unfortunately.

That's nonsense. The Jets signed Vick despite the headlines, not because of them. If their prime focus was chasing headlines, Revis would be a Jet right now.

That's nonsense. The Jets signed Vick despite the headlines, not because of them. If their prime focus was chasing headlines, Revis would be a Jet right now.

So they're taking all this heat solely for the purpose of signing a sh*tty qb? thats even worse.

Signing a 34 year old veteran QB to a one year deal in no way, shape, or form constitutes the Jets thinking Geno isn't worth a damn. I believe the Jets are betting on him, they're just wise enough to not be all in on him just yet. Vick is here to push Geno to get better thru competition, and to take over the job if he doesn't. I expect that competition to heavily favor Geno. Just like it did last year. Vick is an insurance policy.

Now if the Jets turn around and take a QB in the first couple rounds this year, that's another story.

Signing Vick is hardly a vote of confidence in a 2nd year QB.

So they're taking all this heat solely for the purpose of signing a sh*tty qb? thats even worse.

Yes it is. See? There are real things to complain about with the Jets. No reason to manufacture crap.

Signing Vick is hardly a vote of confidence in a 2nd year QB.

It's hardly the opposite, either.

Going into the season with Geno, Matt Simms, and (I guess) a mid-late round rookie would be dumb. Geno still has a lot to prove, but even if he does, you still need a viable backup. Like I said, I think the Jets want Geno to win the competition. I think most fans should feel that way, too, as it would easily be much better for the franchise long term. But if he can't beat out Michael Vick, then it's good to have him on the roster.

Geno smith is not an upgrade from Sanchez. He was a downgrade. and if you're a jets fan you're happy about that? Geno had wide open receivers A LOT last year, and several times he threw the ball out of bounds or overthrew them. hes awful too!

If the Jets got somebody better than Sanchez you would actually have a point. But they didn't.

Geno Smith, as a rookie, was a lateral move from Sanchez's last year here.  Go look at Sanchez's last month of play for the Jets, in particular, in case your memory is hazy.  It was on a par with Geno's awful month when all of the '13 receivers were out (or dogging every play like a hobbled Holmes).  Not that they're the AFC's starting WRs in the pro bowl, but over that final month Sanchez still had a couple of completely healthy people to throw to like Kerley, Cumberland, and his beloved Edwards.  When Smith - bad as he was as a rookie - got at least a couple of our meh receivers back in December, he was better than Sanchez had been for some time. This roughly-equal play was despite having no business on the field from day one, running a pro style offense for the first time, with a lesser OL, lesser receivers, lesser protection, lesser field position thanks to a lesser special teams unit and a far lesser defense, as well as more pressure on him thanks to that lesser help everywhere. 

And still, if he is no better in 2014 than he was in 2013 - or even if he's only marginally better - then eff-him and move on.  The difference is from most camp reports through things early-on when there was less pressure and less for him to know, that his passes were far more on the mark than Sanchez's, as well as having a superior arm in general.  Now if that can't translate onto noticeably better play, then we'll move on from him as well.  For all we know they've already moved on.  But when you know you have garbage (Sanchez), then you have to look at someone else.  If that guy is no better, then you again move on.  But square one is moving on from the first bad QB.

Hell, in his 4th year as starter, Sanchez got benched for Greg freaking McElroy, and deservedly so.  And not because McElroy was even an upgrade; rather because they had to put another body with a pulse on the field instead.

Again, go look at the last month of QBing Sanchez did for the Jets (not that his pre-season of 2013 was any good either, and only marginally beat out a kid who had no business in live action yet).  In December:

1 TD, 8 INTs, key fumbling to blow a game like he'd never learned a thing in 4 seasons.  3 of the last 4 games with under 49% completion rate.  And this was all after, and not even including, the historic buttfumble game.  His last crowning moment with the team was in the one game where our RBs had 150 yds and 2 TDs; he managed to not throw an interception (yay!), but he didn't throw or run for any TDs either.  And it was against freaking 2-10 Jacksonville who would go on to finish with a 2-14 record.  

The NE game before this embarrassing December streak, is a prime example of Sanchez not looking nearly as good as his stats.  He forever-famously buttfumbled away a TD, and threw a red zone pick on a short pass intended for his freaking RB.  But hey, he passed for 70 yards and a TD on our last possession, with 4 minutes left in the game when we were down 49-12, and NE was already celebrating their win on the sideline.  

On paper, it looks like he had an ok game throwing the ball.  

In reality, it was the most embarrassing game a QB ever had in 50 years.

Know how they say Chris Ivory is a poor man's Marshawn Lynch? IMO Sanchez's upside is/was as a rich man's Joey Harrington.

Yes it is. See? There are real things to complain about with the Jets. No reason to manufacture crap.

It's hardly the opposite, either.

Going into the season with Geno, Matt Simms, and (I guess) a mid-late round rookie would be dumb. Geno still has a lot to prove, but even if he does, you still need a viable backup. Like I said, I think the Jets want Geno to win the competition. I think most fans should feel that way, too, as it would easily be much better for the franchise long term. But if he can't beat out Michael Vick, then it's good to have him on the roster.

If Vick is so bad as a QB that he isn't worth having, who else should they have picked up to be the backup that is so obviously better? The guy was willing to take a 1 year deal, has experience in Mornhinweg's system, and even though he was the opening day starter last season, he then got experience backing up a young guy.  I hate the signing because of who Vick is, as I'll never be able to root for him or cheer him on from my seat, but on paper I will still grudgingly admit it wasn't the worst football move they could have made in March, 2014.  

Also if Vick is that bad, as you mention, Geno should have to beat out this bad QB if he's at all worth a damn.  Particularly with the head start the team looks like they're going to give Geno, where he'll win a tie breaker and will probably also win if he only barely gets beat out (like we might have seen last year if Sanchez didn't get injured).  Part of the reason we didn't sign Vick a week or so earlier (allegedly) was they refused to name him as the team's starter upon signing.

He's here to be the backup unless Geno is so obviously so far behind him, without any sparks or reasons to think he'll be better than Vick fairly soon, that they just can't justify keeping Vick as #2.

I don't love or hate Smith.  What I would hate is a repeat of what they did with Sanchez, which is to sacrifice everyone else on the team on the off-chance the light goes on for a stiff of a QB.  If Vick is the starter for any reason beyond a Geno Smith injury, we're drafting another QB next year and/or signing or trading for the best veteran QB we can get our hands on.  Or, like you mention, they may even draft another QB this year.  

Good chance we use one of our 5th-7th rounders on one, since they don't seem to think much of Simms except as an emergency/#3 QB.  For all the lip-service love they threw his way, their actions clearly say they thought Simms was worse than Smith (and/or had a worse chance of being a long-term solution). 

Geno Smith, as a rookie, was a lateral move from Sanchez's last year here.  Go look at Sanchez's last month of play for the Jets, in particular, in case your memory is hazy.  It was on a par with Geno's awful month when all of the '13 receivers were out (or dogging every play like a hobbled Holmes).  Not that they're the AFC's starting WRs in the pro bowl, but over that final month Sanchez still had a couple of completely healthy people to throw to like Kerley, Cumberland, and his beloved Edwards.  When Smith - bad as he was as a rookie - got at least a couple of our meh receivers back in December, he was better than Sanchez had been for some time. This roughly-equal play was despite having no business on the field from day one, running a pro style offense for the first time, with a lesser OL, lesser receivers, lesser protection, lesser field position thanks to a lesser special teams unit and a far lesser defense, as well as more pressure on him thanks to that lesser help everywhere. 

And still, if he is no better in 2014 than he was in 2013 - or even if he's only marginally better - then eff-him and move on.  The difference is from most camp reports through things early-on when there was less pressure and less for him to know, that his passes were far more on the mark than Sanchez's, as well as having a superior arm in general.  Now if that can't translate onto noticeably better play, then we'll move on from him as well.  For all we know they've already moved on.  But when you know you have garbage (Sanchez), then you have to look at someone else.  If that guy is no better, then you again move on.  But square one is moving on from the first bad QB.

Hell, in his 4th year as starter, Sanchez got benched for Greg freaking McElroy, and deservedly so.  And not because McElroy was even an upgrade; rather because they had to put another body with a pulse on the field instead.

Again, go look at the last month of QBing Sanchez did for the Jets (not that his pre-season of 2013 was any good either, and only marginally beat out a kid who had no business in live action yet).  In December:

1 TD, 8 INTs, key fumbling to blow a game like he'd never learned a thing in 4 seasons.  3 of the last 4 games with under 49% completion rate.  And this was all after, and not even including, the historic buttfumble game.  His last crowning moment with the team was in the one game where our RBs had 150 yds and 2 TDs; he managed to not throw an interception (yay!), but he didn't throw or run for any TDs either.  And it was against freaking 2-10 Jacksonville who would go on to finish with a 2-14 record.  

The NE game before this embarrassing December streak, is a prime example of Sanchez not looking nearly as good as his stats.  He forever-famously buttfumbled away a TD, and threw a red zone pick on a short pass intended for his freaking RB.  But hey, he passed for 70 yards and a TD on our last possession, with 4 minutes left in the game when we were down 49-12, and NE was already celebrating their win on the sideline.  

On paper, it looks like he had an ok game throwing the ball.  

In reality, it was the most embarrassing game a QB ever had in 50 years.

Know how they say Chris Ivory is a poor man's Marshawn Lynch? IMO Sanchez's upside is/was as a rich man's Joey Harrington.

Sanchez is horrible, and I think Geno may be decent.

That said, comparing Sanchez last month to Geno last season is silly. Lets compare them 4 years out. 

Sanchez' last month was about as bad of a situation you could have as a QB, and that is coming from someone who hates Sanchez. But lets try to be at least a bit objective.

Marty compared to Sporano is like comparing a Ruth's Chris steak to the crap they mince up and put in dog food. The entire offense was God awful, the receivers literally did not know where they were supposed to go.

I think its time everyone moves on from Sanchez, the Jets have.

Archived