With the 18th pick, the New York Jets select Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

stugotz81

If we get Ebron on this offense I will be souped out of my damn mind! He will make an immediate impact on this offense and would do wonders drawing attention away from Decker or vice virsa.  I agree the Steelers can be our choke point with Ebron, but also think the Bills are expecting to get him as well so it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/4/17/5621444/2014-nfl-mock-draft-new-york-jets-select-eric-ebron-te-north-carolina

I must confess: I was born in New York and when I was five years old I lost my heart to the glory of Namath. Despite all my family could do or say, I grew up as a Jetsfan. The Jets are for me like that girl you fell for at 13; the one who made your liver do backflips every time she smiled, and who's since moved to Atlantic City to be a sometimes-headliner showgirl almost, but not quite good enough to make it in Vegas too. As if that was the big leagues. Meanwhile, you ended up in Pittsburgh and discovered a team actually worthy of your love in the land where Namath was born ... though you never forgot the thrill of that smile.

Ahem.

The point is, I know what it means to be a Jets fan. Jets Fan has been trained by the lash. Jets Fan was raised in utero on tales of the mighty Wall Street Giants who dominated the 50's. Then that brief flash smile when you were a kid ... followed by the Dolphins and Shula. O.J. Simpson (who we regularly stopped when no one else could, by the way). Then Buffalo, with Kelly and Bruce Smith. Then the damned Giants again, whose only saving grace was the fact that they stuck it to Buffalo. Miami with Marino. Then New England, with Belichick and his crazy defense...and then with Brady...and then Brady and Welker...and then Brady and Welker and Moss...and then Brady and Gronk and Hernandez...and then Brady with Effin' Nobody!

Jets Fan has been trained by the lash, and above all Jets Fan wants to get back some of his own. And in this mock draft he will, thanks to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

YOU KNOW WHAT JETS FAN HAS LEARNED FROM ALL THE PAIN? DEFENSE WINS.-DROPTHEHAMMER

Now I don't want you to think that Jets Fan is irrational, or lacks a sense of history. Pain makes for an excellent teacher. And you know what Jets Fan has learned from all the pain? Defense wins. Jets Fan remembers '69 Jets and knows that Namath wasn't the key. Broadway Joe was great, and he was my guy, but Johnny Unitas was better and I'm man enough to admit it. The Jets wonSuper Bowl III because we held the greatest offense in football to seven measly points. 16-7. Look it up. The Dolphins succeeded the Jets with the No Name Defense, until they were surpassed by that vicious Raiders D and then the Steel Curtain. Jets Fan hates the Giants and would have scorned Phil Simms, but Lawrence Taylor? The stuff of envy and lust - and the stuff that stuffed Buffalo's vaunted K-Gun. Yes, Brady's been killing us, but even that super-model-marrying [string of expletives deleted] hasn't won a Super Bowl since Belichick's defense fell apart (thanks again Giants!). And it wasn't that long ago that the Jets made it to Championship games ... with defense.

So don't kid yourself. Jets Fan believes in defense, and if there is a great defensive player on the Board the Jets are going to pick him regardless of what the pundits might say. I did my research over at Gang Green Nation and heard threats of violence if Mosley got passed over. But there hasn't been a worthy defensive player on this particular Board since pick 11 so that hasn't been an issue. Which brings us back to the Steelers.

THE STEELERS ARE THE CHOKE POINT FOR THIS YEAR'S JETS BECAUSE WE HAVE SIMILAR NEEDS.-DROPTHEHAMMER

The Steelers are the choke point for this year's Jets because we have similar needs. Both teams want a corner. Both teams could use a great ILB. Both teams will never look away from a pass rusher. And both teams want an offensive playmaker. The emphasis is different because the Steelers need defense 2:1 and the Jets need offense in about the same proportion, but the actual positions overlap. So my inner Jets Fan cringed when the Steelers went on the clock ... and broke out in cheers and tears of joy when the name Dennard got announced. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

There has been a hearty debate over at Gang Green Nation on the Beckham-or-Cooks issue because anyone can see that those are the likely wide receiver options. Should the Jets go for the athletic genius who plays inside and out, or the next Wes Welker who will dominate from the slot? Here's their poll if you want to vote. But the win of all wins - the one that Jets Fan knows will never happen...

With the 18th pick, the New York Jets select Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina.

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

There are Receivers to be had in Round 2. Lots and lots of them. Jordan Matthews, Donte Moncrief, Allen Robinson, Cody Latimer, Kelvin Benjamin...they aren't Beckham or Cooks, but they're first round talent nonetheless. In any other year, getting one of those in the second would be a dream come true. This year it's realistic.

At tight end, though, there is no one even close to Eric Ebron. The Jets are so hungry for Ebron that our GM has been spreading anonymous rumors about his supposed shortcomings. (If you didn't realize that "anonymous executive" starts with a capital "I" and ends with a "k," you're the only one. Jets Fan has been laughing hysterically that the media gave that line so much play). Jets Fan believes the same thing as Mike Mayock: that Ebron may be the most athletic tight end in the NFL from the moment he steps on the field - not the best one, but arguably the most athletic and with the potential to be the best. Eric Ebron may even be the #1 player overall on the Jets Board. Jets Fan raced to the podium for Ebron in the SB Nation mock, and Jets Fan will do it again here.

All hail John Idzik and the power of well placed nasty gossip. P.T. Barnum, the native New Yorker, said it right: there's a sucker born every minute. After years of getting gashed by Gronk, Jets Fan is going to get back some of his own! Eric Ebron, welcome to the team that used to be the most dysfunctional in all of football, but isn't any longer. J-E-T-S, JETS JETS JETS!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was the author of this article ghost writer SouthernJet

I think he said CBS.. not me, I dont think we get him. I think IF we trade up in 1st  its for a better WR (I think we stay put at18) and then we will tradeup if needed at bottom of 1st, higher in 2nd to get Amare. Only way they tradeup for Ebron isd IF they are 100% confident they have a sleeper WR that they feel will be there in 2nd round.

No thanks; a TE @ 18 is a mistake.

probably true as ebron less needed now since we have CJ as a escape valve for Geno when routes break down. He needed that bad last year and now CJ is a great, reliable escape valve pass catching RB w/great YAC (5th in NFL last year among RBs w/YAC)

yup. This franchise taking a TE in rd 1 is always a bad move

btw i don't know what Ebron offers that Cumby doesn't. This team needs a CJ Fiodorowicz not another Cumby. 

wow, we see the world different my friend on this one,,Lord

btw i don't know what Ebron offers that Cumby doesn't. This team needs a CJ Fiodorowicz not another Cumby. 

This would be my rational if Ebron was already gone by 18. But Idziks draft mentality is best player available when its his turn to pick, right? If that is the case, then he will have to pick Ebron.

serious question could Ebron beat out Cumby for the starting position? If not by week 1, by when? Spoiler alert I don't think he could beat him out. Whoever the Jets take in rd 1 should have a relatively clear path to start. 

Serious answer. Week 2 of preseason. 

For most franchises taking a TE in round 1 has been a bad move recently. Last first round TE to break 1000 yards in a season was Dallas Clark in 2009 with Peyton Manning throwing to him. Tony Gonzalez broke 1000 yards the year prior in 2008 and Kellen Winslow Jr. did it in 2007. Gonzalez had a few other 1000+ yard seasons, he's the gold standard for first round TE's, but Clark and Winslow I believe each did it once and are the only other round one TE's to do so from 2002-present.

Vernon Davis who was the last first round TE to play well for the team that chose him hasn't cracked 1000 yards in a season, and he's been playing in the league since 2006.

The Jets need passing game production in a big way. Better chance they'll find it with a wide receiver drafted in the first than they a tight end. There's plenty of solid options they can look at day 2 or early day 3.

Here is a list of 1st round TEs drafted since 2000.

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL TEAM

1     14     Bubba Franks     TE     Miami (Fla.)     Green Bay Packers
1     27     Anthony Becht     TE     West Virginia     New York Jets
1     31     Todd Heap     TE     Arizona State     Baltimore Ravens
1     14     Jeremy Shockey     TE     Miami (Fla.)     New York Giants
1     21     Daniel Graham     TE     Colorado     New England Patriots
1     28     Jerramy Stevens     TE     Washington     Seattle Seahawks
1     24     Dallas Clark     TE     Iowa     Indianapolis Colts
1     6     Kellen Winslow     TE     Miami (Fla.)     Cleveland Browns
1     32     Benjamin Watson     TE     Georgia     New England Patriots
1     30     Heath Miller     TE     Virginia     Pittsburgh Steelers
1     6     Vernon Davis     TE     Maryland     San Francisco 49ers
1     28     Marcedes Lewis     TE     UCLA     Jacksonville Jaguars
1     31     Greg Olsen     TE     Miami (Fla.)     Chicago Bears
1     30     Dustin Keller     TE     Purdue     New York Jets
1     20     Brandon Pettigrew     TE     Oklahoma State     Detroit Lions
1     21     Jermaine Gresham     TE     Oklahoma     Cincinnati Bengals
1     21     Tyler Eifert     TE     Notre Dame     Cincinnati Bengals

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=TE&type=position

He will not be there at 18 -only if Idzik is totally enamored with him will there be a chance to get him by moving up. 

TE's usually fall in the 1st round. Case in point Eifert was selected 21st in the 1st round last year. Most mocks had him going in the Top 15. Ebron will be there for the JETS to pick at #18 if they want him.

Not a critical piece...Draft Amaro in 2nd, go Cooksin 1st round.

Its Ebron or nothing.  If we dont take him at 18, then tight end shouldnt be on Idziks mind till much later in the draft in my opinion. We need to be thinking CB come round two if we went offense with our 18th pick.

If they dont go after Ebron, given he was available at 18, then Im assuming they will rely on Cumby for the season so why bother giving up a 2nd round pick for a back up tight end ya kno.

they dont go after Ebron, given he was available at 18, then Im assuming they will rely on Cumby for the season  

it's notable that they gave Jeff Cumberland a 3 year deal about 6 weeks ago. That's not usually the move of a team planning to draft a TE in rd 1. 

Its Ebron or nothing.  If we dont take him at 18, then tight end shouldnt be on Idziks mind till much later in the draft in my opinion. We need to be thinking CB come round two if we went offense with our 18th pick.

If they dont go after Ebron, given he was available at 18, then Im assuming they will rely on Cumby for the season so why bother giving up a 2nd round pick for a back up tight end ya kno.

They'll be thinking of ASJ/Niklas in the 2nd and Fiedorowicz in the 3rd

The Jets need passing game production in a big way. Better chance they'll find it with a wide receiver drafted in the first than they a tight end. There's plenty of solid options they can look at day 2 or early day 3.

I agree. A guy like Beckham or Cooks has the potential to be a #1 WR. You don't draft a TE hoping he'll be the best of all time, when a merely "average" #1 WR would still be more productive.

Archived